Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Just a reminder that big winning streaks (Cleveland) and big losing streaks (Dodgers) the last month of the season mean jack**** when playoffs start.

This time one month ago the Indians were guaranteed a parade and the Dodgers were on their way to getting swept out of the first round by a team that had won the final two series against them.

Let’s also hope they break the trend of losing in the NLCS.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Curse of the Dodgers. Best Dodger team in decades and our best field player is out for the NLCS. Hope the other guys can pick it up. Pitchers are going to have to be lights out this series.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's a back injury. Dodgers can't catch a break in the post season.
TwrqrSL.jpg

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
And they got it just as wrong as the NHL does... Say what you will but the throw beat him there and he was out.

Catcher can't block the plate before receiving the ball. Contreras clearly blocks the plate with his leg before receiving the ball. Pretty clear violation. And it's been enforced like this since 2014.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yeah I have no idea what the controversy is. That's the damn rule you can thank dumbass Buster Posey for that. And like it would make any difference that was the fifth run of the game and I don't remember the Cubs scoring more than 2 runs.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't follow baseball much anymore. Surprised the rule regarding blocking the plate has changed. The unwritten rule used to be I as a catcher take away the front half of the plate and give you the back half to take via a good slide. Once I received the ball, I would block a runner off the plate completely. Perfectly legal back in the day, and on bang-bang plays the umps sided with the catcher. The big issue used to be showing the ump you had maintained control of the ball as you applied the tag.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Yeah I have no idea what the controversy is. That's the damn rule you can thank dumbass Buster Posey for that. And like it would make any difference that was the fifth run of the game and I don't remember the Cubs scoring more than 2 runs.

what is the current (new) sliding into home plate rule?

what did Buster Posey do to make this rule come about?

Winger23

May 3, 2007
what is the current (new) sliding into home plate rule?

what did Buster Posey do to make this rule come about?

The catcher must give a "lane" to the runner to the plate unless he already has the ball. In this case the catcher clearly stuck his leg out blocking the plate prior to receiving the ball. The correct call was made.

It's called the posey rule cause he got trucked on a play at the plate causing him to miss several weeks. They are trying to protect catchers from getting hurt so they call it the posey rule, much like they call having to slide into 2nd base cleanly the utley rule.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
The catcher must give a "lane" to the runner to the plate unless he already has the ball. In this case the catcher clearly stuck his leg out blocking the plate prior to receiving the ball. The correct call was made.

It's called the posey rule cause he got trucked on a play at the plate causing him to miss several weeks. They are trying to protect catchers from getting hurt so they call it the posey rule, much like they call having to slide into 2nd base cleanly the utley rule.

Then they should call it the Tejada rule since he was the one that got hurt.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Then they should call it the Tejada rule since he was the one that got hurt.

I agree with you. Not sure why it's utley and not tejada unless utley is just the more widespread popular name. I don't even remember who hit posey...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad