2023 NFL/NCAA/HS Football Thread

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I like it. They're adopting the Packers model of churning out QB. Draft a first rounder. Have him train behind a veteran.

It's worked for the Packers for 30+ years. More teams should learn that. Lol
I would cope by accepting this if I hadn't just argued against it 5 posts ago

We haven't had a decent pass rush in 10 years and finally have a good roster with a weak schedule and a division there for the taking and we do this at 8oa? Adding a decent pass rusher would have allowed us to basically waltz into the postseason.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I would cope by accepting this if I hadn't just argued against it 5 posts ago

We haven't had a decent pass rush in 10 years and finally have a good roster with a weak schedule and a division there for the taking and we do this at 8oa? Adding a decent pass rusher would have allowed us to basically waltz into the postseason.

I’ve seen some galaxy brain takes saying that maybe the Falcons picked him so they can turn around and trade him to a desperate team that was hoping to pick him later.

I think that’s overthinking it though.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I’ve seen some galaxy brain takes saying that maybe the Falcons picked him so they can turn around and trade him to a desperate team that was hoping to pick him later.

I think that’s overthinking it though.
More likely Fontenot is a double agent still working for the Saints.

The absolute best case scenario here is that Kirk told them he was only going to play 2 more years and then Penix turns out to be good. In that scenario, you still wasted 2 years of the rookie contract on your 8oa pick, could have traded back to get him, and he's already 26 by the time he's playing.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Love the Fashnu pick, Tyron Smith + Morgan Moses most likely won't make it all 17 games and if they do, you still need to find a LT in 2025. Would've loved Odunze but the Bears being a pick before them kinda screwed them there. Would've been nice to lose to the Commanders/NE last year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
More likely Fontenot is a double agent still working for the Saints.

The absolute best case scenario here is that Kirk told them he was only going to play 2 more years and then Penix turns out to be good. In that scenario, you still wasted 2 years of the rookie contract on your 8oa pick, could have traded back to get him, and he's already 26 by the time he's playing.

Wish the Jets had made a move here, makes the Falcons little less crazy and Jets probably land Odunze. I don't get why the Falcons just didn't take Odunze themselves.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I love that the Jets took OL. As an OL coach myself, I'm a big proponent of building from the OL out. Doesn't matter if you have Rodgers or me playing QB, if you can't block you won't do shit.

I admittedly haven't seen his film so I'll have to try and find some Penn St All-22 of him

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I love that the Jets took OL. As an OL coach myself, I'm a big proponent of building from the OL out. Doesn't matter if you have Rodgers or me playing QB, if you can't block you won't do shit.

I admittedly haven't seen his film so I'll have to try and find some Penn St All-22 of him
Not a mauler, more finesse type tackle
Raw as a run blocker and plays high at time. He likely needs some time to develop but will start year one

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What’s hilarious about the Penix thing is not only is it a questionable use of a draft pick for a win now team but it’s also the worst situation for an ‘older’ QB to go to a place where he has to wait. If you’re gonna pick a guy who’s going to be developmental you’d rather have that guy…be younger? Penix might be 27-28 before he plays.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

His comp is basically DBrickshaw Ferguson which is ironic considering who drafted him, would be a godsend for the Jets if he turns into Brick.

Raw as a run blocker and plays high at time. He likely needs some time to develop but will start year one

Basically on point, I would be surprised if he plays year 1 unless Smith/Moses get hurt or just look horrid. I still wouldn't throw Fashnu out there until year 2

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
What’s hilarious about the Penix thing is not only is it a questionable use of a draft pick for a win now team but it’s also the worst situation for an ‘older’ QB to go to a place where he has to wait. If you’re gonna pick a guy who’s going to be developmental you’d rather have that guy…be younger? Penix might be 27-28 before he plays.
Apparently they didn't tell Cousins they were taking a QB until they were on the clock. Now they've already pissed off their new QB, wasted a top 10 pick on someone that won't help the team for at least 2 years, and likely committed themselves to playing a mediocre QB in the future.

This GM is horseshit

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

You don't really need a mauler at the tackle position in the NFL anyways, need more of a true pass pro tackle. I don't have any PSU film from last year in my football gold mine at this point unfortunately, but watched the PSU O vs Michigan last season and it wasn't the best showing. Sloppy feet in pass pro. His angle pass sets looked cumbersome and he really struggled with power moves from the DL in that game. Seemed to struggle post contact in his pass pro, took a long time to anchor on bull rushes, causing the pocket to narrow.

However, without the rear and front views of the OL it can be hard to tell some of the basic fundamentals of pass pro. Also important to note every OL coach is different in what they like to do. I just met with Pat Flaherty and he and I are very different in our philosophies and coaching points for pass pro.

I actually like how he looks in his run blocking tbh. Great foot fire, good form, good finish, and always moving the pile. Could use work on his pad level though.

His comp is basically DBrickshaw Ferguson which is ironic considering who drafted him, would be a godsend for the Jets if he turns into Brick.

Basically on point, I would be surprised if he plays year 1 unless Smith/Moses get hurt or just look horrid. I still wouldn't throw Fashnu out there until year 2
I loved D'Brickashaw. Dude was a beast

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
You don't really need a mauler at the tackle position in the NFL anyways, need more of a true pass pro tackle. I don't have any PSU film from last year in my football gold mine at this point unfortunately, but watched the PSU O vs Michigan last season and it wasn't the best showing. Sloppy feet in pass pro. His angle pass sets looked cumbersome and he really struggled with power moves from the DL in that game. Seemed to struggle post contact in his pass pro, took a long time to anchor on bull rushes, causing the pocket to narrow.

However, without the rear and front views of the OL it can be hard to tell some of the basic fundamentals of pass pro. Also important to note every OL coach is different in what they like to do. I just met with Pat Flaherty and he and I are very different in our philosophies and coaching points for pass pro.

I actually like how he looks in his run blocking tbh. Great foot fire, good form, good finish, and always moving the pile. Could use work on his pad level though.

I loved D'Brickashaw. Dude was a beast
Absolutely but Keith Carter doesn’t have the best track record as a o line coach

Ola is very good, just has some flaws mainly he plays to high and for his size has issues at times with anchor.

He got absolutely worked on the Ohio state film and most of it was due to foot work issuss. He definitely plays lighter than his size

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Absolutely but Keith Carter doesn’t have the best track record as a o line coach

Ola is very good, just has some flaws mainly he plays to high and for his size has issues at times with anchor.

He got absolutely worked on the Ohio state film and most of it was due to foot work issuss. He definitely plays lighter than his size
Yeah idk how Carter survived this offseason, I thought he was gone for sure. Dude hasn't done anything good in his time here.

I like Fashanu, but like you said, needs some work. I'll have to watch OSU next lol His feet and timing are definitely issues, but when he snaps defenders and finishes them he's a beast. It's just a little later than I'd like.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Apparently they didn't tell Cousins they were taking a QB until they were on the clock. Now they've already pissed off their new QB, wasted a top 10 pick on someone that won't help the team for at least 2 years, and likely committed themselves to playing a mediocre QB in the future.

This GM is horseshit
The Falcons probably win the division anyway this season. I think I could win 4 of 6 against those teams. Hard to see any of the other divisional teams taking a big step forward.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

This GM is horseshit

This could be an instance of ownership meddling. Maybe they just really, really liked Penix and told their GM he had to select him if available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad