Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
The catcher must give a "lane" to the runner to the plate unless he already has the ball. In this case the catcher clearly stuck his leg out blocking the plate prior to receiving the ball. The correct call was made.

It's called the posey rule cause he got trucked on a play at the plate causing him to miss several weeks. They are trying to protect catchers from getting hurt so they call it the posey rule, much like they call having to slide into 2nd base cleanly the utley rule.

Several weeks? Man, he got destroyed in May and didn't return that entire season because of how severe his broken leg and torn ankle ligaments were. It was a devastating play, and the rule has a legitimate basis.

MLB didn't actually change it until Avila got hurt in the playoffs a few years ago, though. Posey's injury wasn't enough to spur them to change, apparently.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The catcher must give a "lane" to the runner to the plate unless he already has the ball. In this case the catcher clearly stuck his leg out blocking the plate prior to receiving the ball. The correct call was made.

It's called the posey rule cause he got trucked on a play at the plate causing him to miss several weeks. They are trying to protect catchers from getting hurt so they call it the posey rule, much like they call having to slide into 2nd base cleanly the utley rule.

Back in the day players slid into 2nd base spikes up. It was the Ty Cobb rule.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Several weeks? Man, he got destroyed in May and didn't return that entire season because of how severe his broken leg and torn ankle ligaments were. It was a devastating play, and the rule has a legitimate basis.

MLB didn't actually change it until Avila got hurt in the playoffs a few years ago, though. Posey's injury wasn't enough to spur them to change, apparently.

I'm not disagreeing, I was simply answering a question on why it's called what it is.

My personal opinion is the rule went overboard. Catchers have been blocking the plate forever, the rule should be runners have to at least attempt to touch the plate on a normal slide similar to the second base rule. They should not be allowed to just target the catcher and touch the plate afterwards. Plays like last night should be allowed. A clean slide, successful block and no injury nor close to one.

Just my opinion, I agree with taking steps to protect the catcher from brutal collisions, I just think its a bit overboard. Based on the rules they got it right, but it just feels wrong even if the call went for my team.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Back in the day players slid into 2nd base spikes up. It was the Ty Cobb rule.

Correct, but I don't remember them ever starting their slide after they got to the bag. It's why for years kids learning to play 2ND base were taught to either side step the bag or pivot the throw to where you are behind the bag when throwing for protection.

I believe in breaking plays up when you can, but if the fielders are no longer going to get "in the area" of the bag due to replays they have to protect a bit. And to be honest, I don't think going in spikes up is an automatic out, it's only on the sliding past or out of reach of the bag, thus not the Cobb rule.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Dodgers are one win away from heading to the World Series.
Ju4Jme9.gif

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I'm torn cause I want the dodgers to sweep em, but at the same time if they do they are going to have a loooong time sitting around waiting for game 1.

They have everything going their way. Even Roberts mistake of letting Darvish bat with the bases loaded worked out (imo). How many times do you see a run scored on strike 3 in the mlb? Eithier not playing in forever and comes up big? It's just magical, just like the 2012 kings...

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm torn cause I want the dodgers to sweep em, but at the same time if they do they are going to have a loooong time sitting around waiting for game 1.

They have everything going their way. Even Roberts mistake of letting Darvish bat with the bases loaded worked out (imo). How many times do you see a run scored on strike 3 in the mlb? Eithier not playing in forever and comes up big? It's just magical, just like the 2012 kings...

Man I haven't paid close attention to the Dodgers since Eithier, Loney & Kemp were their young guns. Hard to believe how long that's been.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Man I haven't paid close attention to the Dodgers since Eithier, Loney & Kemp were their young guns. Hard to believe how long that's been.

Yes, time has a way of flying. I played on the same team with Eithier's Dad Byron and his Uncle Gene many years ago.

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
After a bit of a shaky start with the Dodgers, it seems like their biggest trade deadline move is paying off, and it goes to show just how valuable pitching depth is in the post season.
Also shows why Honeycutt remains the pitching coach with a third manager.

Apparently he and Darvish have reworked Darvish's mechanics and the results were evident last night.

LA Kings Cup Champs

Oct 1, 2007
KINGS of Hockey

This is actually what I am hoping for. If things go the way that I want, the Dodgers will win tonight and sweep the series. And then I would want the Yankees/Astros series to go 7 games with the Yankees winning the series. This would be the best outcome for the Dodgers and the MLB, at large. With all of the hype around the Yankees and Dodgers rookies this would be the best story line for the MLB. And this would also be the best outcome for the Dodgers because the Yankees would have played 13 postseason games (1 wild card game, 5 ALDS games and 7 ALCS games) while the dodgers would have only played 7 post season games (3 NLDS games and 4 NLCS games). I would also like them to sweep tonight because no team has gone 11-0 in the postseason and with a win tonight the Dodgers would still have a chance at that. Also, the Yankees would be very tired having played lots of games and having gone through lots of emotions (ups and downs) the whole way while the Dodgers have coasted with margaritas in hand the whole way. The thought that a "loooong" wait would be bad for the Dodgers didn't hold true when we had to wait for the Cubs/Nationals series to end. The Cubs are exhausted from their battle last round and from the difficult travel. I would think that the Yankees would be the most tired team that could come out of the ALCS series. Things are looking really good right now for the Dodgers and they statistically have the best chance at winning the World Series this year, in my opinion, based on all of the reasons that I have stated above.

Go, Dodgers!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Don't know the severity and extent of Seager's back injury, but you would also hope that his condition could possibly improve and that he may be fit to play in the World Series, should they win tonight.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Don't know the severity and extent of Seager's back injury, but you would also hope that his condition could possibly improve and that he may be fit to play in the World Series, should they win tonight.

Only if he's 100 percent imo. Taylor is so valuable being able to play multiple positions that I'm OK with him playing short against righties. Culberson, while no where as good as seager, is a solid choice too. Not many are familiar with him but the guy can hit.

Seager struggled down the stretch imo due to playing injured. I would add him to the roster but wouldn't start him unless he's 100%.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Also shows why Honeycutt remains the pitching coach with a third manager.

Apparently he and Darvish have reworked Darvish's mechanics and the results were evident last night.

Oddly enough it was kershaw who alerted Darvish of what he thought was wrong with his mechanics. I'm not trying to downplay how good honeycutt is, just kershaw is the one who caught the flaw in his delivery.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Oddly enough it was kershaw who alerted Darvish of what he thought was wrong with his mechanics. I'm not trying to downplay how good honeycutt is, just kershaw is the one who caught the flaw in his delivery.

And that's a good point in explaining why his first few starts as a Dodger were so rough, especially if he was working on changing his technique and mechanics. Whatever he is doing now is working and I hope the best is yet to come. Alex Wood is starting tonight. Hoping they get the win, wrap this series up in Chicago, and get those arms in the bullpen well rested.

Reactions: Winger23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad