OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Butler has really struggled this year, so not sure I'd call him a baaaaad man. If the Steelers had the right coaching he could be easily exploited.

Also, the last time the Steelers beat NE, Roth threw the ball 50 times and they had the ball for 39 minutes as well.

The ground game myth to slow down Brady agt the Steelers has to stop. Steelers have a HOF QB as well and he needs to be let loose like the last time they beat the Pats.
The Steelers tweeted out highlights from one of the few times the Steelers beat Brady/Belichick - Ben vs. Brady 1 in 2004.

I kind of remember that game, but it was still shocking to see the Steelers dominate them like they did. All the pressure on Brady, the turnovers, Ben making the right throws, some nice runs by Bettis.

New England’s defense isn’t nearly as good as it was back then. But their offense now is better for sure.

It’s just really hard to see the Steelers defense, as constructed now, keeping them under 30. I really hope that performance vs. the mediocre Ravens’ O was an aberration, but the whole giving up splash plays, long TDs has been an alarming trend for weeks now.

The Steelers can win if Ben throws a lot, but they’ll need to be setting the tone. They’ll probably need yet another other worldly performance from AB (which he’s done his fair share of this year, don’t get freaking outshined by Kevin Hogan, Brian Hogan, Chris Hogan whatever that PSU Lax Jabroni’s name is) and other weapons to step up, like the tight ends/Bell in the passing game did against Baltimore. No stalling in the red zone.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think I that the defense will see some improvement. They only signed Spence a few days before off the streets. No, he will not suddenly become amazing with another week of practice, but he and the Steelers can at least try and cover for the loss better. Hopefully Hayden and Juju play as well. And play close to 100 percent.

Also it is an advantage in a way having the whole world acting like New England is going to come in and crush Pittsburgh. They might get cocky, and the Steelers certainly have that on their locker board. New England also has significant losses, arguably worse than the Steelers. Several for the year. Including their best linebacker, wide receiver and now starting right tackle. The second best pass rush in the NFL should be able to take advantage of that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Steelers tweeted out highlights from one of the few times the Steelers beat Brady/Belichick - Ben vs. Brady 1 in 2004.

I kind of remember that game, but it was still shocking to see the Steelers dominate them like they did. All the pressure on Brady, the turnovers, Ben making the right throws, some nice runs by Bettis.

New England’s defense isn’t nearly as good as it was back then. But their offense now is better for sure.

It’s just really hard to see the Steelers defense, as constructed now, keeping them under 30. I really hope that performance vs. the mediocre Ravens’ O was an aberration, but the whole giving up splash plays, long TDs has been an alarming trend for weeks now.

The Steelers can win if Ben throws a lot, but they’ll need to be setting the tone. They’ll probably need yet another other worldly performance from AB (which he’s done his fair share of this year, don’t get freaking outshined by Kevin Hogan, Brian Hogan, Chris Hogan whatever that PSU Lax Jabroni’s name is) and other weapons to step up, like the tight ends/Bell in the passing game did against Baltimore. No stalling in the red zone.

You have to assume Brady will get 35-40+ points and you won't score that much running the ball. Tomlin always seem to fall for the same trap.. zone, running for ball control... and wonders why Brady and BB own his team.

And ya I agree, their downfall is always kicking FGs while Brady puts up TDs. Simple math tells you it doesn't work.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
You have to assume Brady will get 35-40+ points and you won't score that much running the ball. Tomlin always seem to fall for the same trap.. zone, running for ball control... and wonders why Brady and BB own his team.

And ya I agree, their downfall is always kicking FGs while Brady puts up TDs. Simple math tells you it doesn't work.
I’m starting to have this feeling since we’re all expecting a shootout, we may not see it.

It could be a game somewhat similar to that Thursday night opener back in ‘15 where New England won 28-21.

Brady had 4 TD’s and threw 2 to Gronk to go up 14-0. That absolutely cannot happen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

New England was a TOTALLY different offense then. That was still during the Charlie Weis run there.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that Bell is going to run all over them.

Pats are especially vulnerable at outside linebacker and defensive end. When you are signing guys off the street to fill in and immediately starting and playing key roles there you are in trouble.

NE averages 121 yards a game given up on the ground, and given how explosive that offense is and that teams play from behind that is saying something. Bell leads the NFL with 1,105 yards. and on top of that good luck on those fill in linebackers in trying to keep up with him if he goes out for a pass. He has 75 catches so far this year.

The Pats will limit Brown. Bell will have huge numbers though.

And have you seen the Pats injury report?:

OUT DT Alan Branch (knee)

QUESTIONABLE
DE Trey Flowers (hip)
CB Stephon Gilmore (ankle)
LB David Harris (ankle)
WR Chris Hogan (shoulder)
LB Brandon King (hamstring)
DE Eric Lee (ankle)
WR Matthew Slater (hamstring)
LB Kyle Van Noy (calf)
OT LaAdrian Waddle (ankle)
DE Deatrich Wise (foot)

Yes, it could just be the Pats playing Sullivan style mind games. However, only Gilmore, Hogan and Slater were not either limited in the last game or inactive.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Scoring first huge.
NE is a threat to score on every posession. Gotta make a lot of those scores FGs.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I think that Bell is going to run all over them.

Pats are especially vulnerable at outside linebacker and defensive end. When you are signing guys off the street to fill in and immediately starting and playing key roles there you are in trouble.

NE averages 121 yards a game given up on the ground, and given how explosive that offense is and that teams play from behind that is saying something. Bell leads the NFL with 1,105 yards. and on top of that good luck on those fill in linebackers in trying to keep up with him if he goes out for a pass. He has 75 catches so far this year.

The Pats will limit Brown. Bell will have huge numbers though.

And have you seen the Pats injury report?:

OUT DT Alan Branch (knee)

QUESTIONABLE
DE Trey Flowers (hip)
CB Stephon Gilmore (ankle)
LB David Harris (ankle)
WR Chris Hogan (shoulder)
LB Brandon King (hamstring)
DE Eric Lee (ankle)
WR Matthew Slater (hamstring)
LB Kyle Van Noy (calf)
OT LaAdrian Waddle (ankle)
DE Deatrich Wise (foot)

Yes, it could just be the Pats playing Sullivan style mind games. However, only Gilmore, Hogan and Slater were not either limited in the last game or inactive.
Honestly, they could start 11 Joe Jabroni’s on defense and 10 Joe Jabroni’s on offense. But if 1 of those 22 non-Joe’s was Tom, I’d still be worried.

As for Bell, maybe. But bet that Coach Bill/Patricia will be more prepared for him than they were for Kenyan Drake.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hit Brady and hit him often. If he has no time in the pocket he’s pretty ineffective.

He has great numbers agt the blitz, because he is a master at finding his hots.

You need to jam his receivers and interrupt their timing, and get to him with a four man rush. That's always been the way to beat Brady, but it's not as easy to pull off as it sounds.

Of course, playing zone every time is always a surefire way to concede victory.

Reactions: Ogrezilla and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He has great numbers agt the blitz, because he is a master at finding his hots.

You need to jam his receivers and interrupt their timing, and get to him with a four man rush. That's always been the way to beat Brady, but it's not as easy to pull off as it sounds.

Of course, playing zone every time is always a surefire way to concede victory.

And if the pressure isn' consistent, then disguise it. Walk guys up to the line, so they'll know it's coming but not from where. Jam everyone, and it might throw off the timing enough to get to him, as you note.

But, hey, if you do that, a small play could go for big yards against. Better to count on Brady making bad throws on long drives against the soft zone. I mean, it often works against crap QB' s, so maybe this time against Brady?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You'd think after all these years they would understand what it takes to get Brady off his game. The issue isn't really in the plan more than it is in their heads they can do it.

Make Brady rush his decisions, hit him often, cover the underneath and trust the man to man coverage.

He'll beat you now and then, but you just gotta keep those contained too few sets of downs.

The law of averages is what you are counting on.

Frustrate him, and when he pulls out his bags of tricks frustrate him more. You've seen them enough.

Can you dig it?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You'd think after all these years they would understand what it takes to get Brady off his game. The issue isn't really in the plan more than it is in their heads they can do it.

Make Brady rush his decisions, hit him often, cover the underneath and trust the man to man coverage.

He'll beat you now and then, but you just gotta keep those contained too few sets of downs.

The law of averages is what you are counting on.

Frustrate him, and when he pulls out his bags of tricks frustrate him more. You've seen them enough.

Can you dig it?

I really hope the players are not overthinking this game like the Pgh media is. Christ, there's so many stories on strategy...rush him up the middle, possess the ball for 35 minutes, don't take penalties, disrupt the receivers, don't give up big plays, win third down, win situational football. Head is spinning. They're going to be paralyzed with fear to make move just thinking they have to be perfect on every down. I know that feeling. I hope they just come out with confidence and ball...just NOT in a soft zone

Reactions: KIRK

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I really hope the players are not overthinking this game like the Pgh media is. Christ, there's so many stories on strategy...rush him up the middle, possess the ball for 35 minutes, don't take penalties, disrupt the receivers, don't give up big plays, win third down, win situational football. Head is spinning. They're going to be paralyzed with fear to make move just thinking they have to be perfect on every down. I know that feeling. I hope they just come out with confidence and ball...just NOT in a soft zone
He gets rid of the ball too quick. He’s literally the greatest QB of all time for a reason.

Any scheme us armchair coaches may come up with could work, but easier said than done. Sometimes a team, especially one of their lesser divisional rivals, catches them off guard and nips them like Miami last week, Buffalo last year, the Jets from time to time (including the year we last went to the Super Bowl - we don’t get there and lose to Rodgers if the Jets don’t beat them in the divisional round). The Broncos and Ravens have been tough outs for them in the playoffs over their past two decades of dominance as well.

But that just doesn’t happen often enough to stop them from usually getting a first round bye, home field, AFC championship, and, unless it’s Eli/Coughlin on the other side of the field with the right personnel/magic to get it done, a super bowl.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think they're putting too much pressure on themselves to play amazing and win this game, which is not a must-win. I hope I'm wrong but I see continual mistakes haunting the team and them losing by a fairly wide margin, for which Ben has to play catch-up, making the score look better in the fourth quarter than the game really went. But still too little to late. Again, I hope I'm wrong....

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I think they're putting too much pressure on themselves to play amazing and win this game, which is not a must-win. I hope I'm wrong but I see continual mistakes haunting the team and them losing by a fairly wide margin, for which Ben has to play catch-up, making the score look better in the fourth quarter than the game really went. But still too little to late. Again, I hope I'm wrong....
Nothing surprises me with the NFL these days. Heck, watch the Steelers, after letting all these mediocre teams at/below .500 taking them down to the wire all year, blow them out.

Problem then would be there’s still the playoffs. No way in hell I’m getting my hopes up too much if they manage to somehow get home field and a 14-2 record. They should’ve lost to freaking Chad Pennington and Herm Edwards and been 1 and done when they went 15-1 Ben’s rookie year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If the Steelers win - it's "Yeah but can you beat them in the playoffs?" If the Steelers lose - it's "You can't ever beat Brady's team."

So... even if we win, the fans will still think we lost.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

They'll be SwissArmyKnifed if they do.

Rushing him and pressuring him takes away three things if they cover the underneath all game. The over the top, the underneath hot reads and the rush.

Over the top, if he has no time for his receivers to get there, there is no play.
The underneath, playing tight here takes away his favorite options to keep drives alive as well as being in the right set for the run/play action.

You force him to gamble more on home run 50/50 balls.

Brady is human, just as he is good. You are not beating them 20-7, it'll be a close win loss if they play as good as they can 28-27 or 27-20, or they can lose confidence and lose 38 to 21.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If the Steelers win - it's "Yeah but can you beat them in the playoffs?" If the Steelers lose - it's "You can't ever beat Brady's team."

So... even if we win, the fans will still think we lost.

it might help if the Steelers could prove otherwise.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He gets rid of the ball too quick. He’s literally the greatest QB of all time for a reason.

Any scheme us armchair coaches may come up with could work, but easier said than done. Sometimes a team, especially one of their lesser divisional rivals, catches them off guard and nips them like Miami last week, Buffalo last year, the Jets from time to time (including the year we last went to the Super Bowl - we don’t get there and lose to Rodgers if the Jets don’t beat them in the divisional round). The Broncos and Ravens have been tough outs for them in the playoffs over their past two decades of dominance as well.

But that just doesn’t happen often enough to stop them from usually getting a first round bye, home field, AFC championship, and, unless it’s Eli/Coughlin on the other side of the field with the right personnel/magic to get it done, a super bowl.

No matter what scheme you go with, you have to jam everyone off the line. Let his small receivers and Gronk get clean releases, and the battle is already half win for Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad