OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Who exactly is "outraged" by this hit. I loved the hit. Especially since it was against Burfict.

Calling a spade a spade isnt being outraged. Its pointing out the obvious. All Juju has to do is lower it 6 inches and this isnt even a penalty let alone suspension.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Who exactly is "outraged" by this hit. I loved the hit. Especially since it was against Burfict.

Calling a spade a spade isnt being outraged. Its pointing out the obvious. All Juju has to do is lower it 6 inches and this isnt even a penalty let alone suspension.

Yeah, because lowering his hit 6 inches given the speed of the game and unpredictable movements by other players in fractions of a second before impact is as easy as 1, 2, 3. :help:

It's exactly what Mike Mitchell was talking about when he brought up Dalton putting Eifert in a bad spot 2 years ago. The defender tried to hit the guy in the gut and due to a bad ball and diving receiver he gets him in the head. Who's fault is that?

People that argue this point have NEVER played a contact sport, at any level, outside of maybe pee-wee. I will go on record saying that much. Football isn't chess once the ball is snapped. Every play could be your last, literally, even if the odds are extremely small. Outlawing plays like SS made aren't making the game safer. It makes guys more tentative and gets them trying to aim for other parts of the body, which doesn't always work anyway because as I said, you can't predict what the other player will do in the fractions of a second before impact.

It's this simple. If you don't want your brain f'd up, don't play the game. Because playing long enough, even if you don't make the NFL will do some amount of damage.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah, because lowering his hit 6 inches given the speed of the game and unpredictable movements by other players in fractions of a second before impact is as easy as 1, 2, 3. :help:

It's exactly what Mike Mitchell was talking about when he brought up Dalton putting Eifert in a bad spot 2 years ago. The defender tried to hit the guy in the gut and due to a bad ball and diving receiver he gets him in the head. Who's fault is that?

People that argue this point have NEVER played a contact sport, at any level, outside of maybe pee-wee. I will go on record saying that much. Football isn't chess once the ball is snapped. Every play could be your last, literally, even if the odds are extremely small. Outlawing plays like SS made aren't making the game safer. It makes guys more tentative and gets them trying to aim for other parts of the body, which doesn't always work anyway because as I said, you can't predict what the other player will do in the fractions of a second before impact.

It's this simple. If you don't want your brain f'd up, don't play the game. Because playing long enough, even if you don't make the NFL will do some amount of damage.

I never said it was easy, but the NFL decided that was the rule. If you don't like it, fight city hall and leave the rest of the free world alone. Its really annoying.

Plus there is a big difference between reasonable risk of brain damage while playing football and allowing it to be reckless unnecessary risk. Even boxing where the point of the sport is to cause enough brain damage to the other guy so he falls down for 10 seconds has rule that mitigate unreasonable amounts of risk. Its why there are gloves and rabbit punches are illegal.

Football and any other contact sport have risk. Nobody is blind to that fact. And anyone that plays those sports is willing to under take that risk. But there is a difference between risk and negligence.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

aaaaand you talked for three paragraphs but didn't answer the question.

Somewhere along the line in this whole debate, you changed from arguing that it was legal to arguing that it should be legal. And in the process those of us who think it was illegal are now apparently outraged. That's where you're losing everyone here.

We all understand what you're saying whether we agree or not. But none of that matters to the actual rules. Mike Mitchell agreeing with you doesn't change the rules. It was against the rules.

And to your other point (that I don't think anybody ever disagreed with) the hit on Brown was worse. The league is handling all of these plays horribly in terms of consequences.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
JuJu's hit was not illegal. Period. The NFL gets those wrong. Every. Single. Time. Iloka's was point blank, all head shot. Yet the wrong guy is sitting. JJ's was literally about as minimal contact with the head as you can get on a call deemed "blow to the head". As others have pointed out crack backs are not called often, which is the right course of action. If you are only going to call 1 outta 3 crack backs then the rule is BS to begin with.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
JuJu's hit was not illegal. Period. The NFL gets those wrong. Every. Single. Time. Iloka's was point blank, all head shot. Yet the wrong guy is sitting. JJ's was literally about as minimal contact with the head as you can get on a call deemed "blow to the head". As others have pointed out crack backs are not called often, which is the right course of action. If you are only going to call 1 outta 3 crack backs then the rule is BS to begin with.

So you admit in one sentence that he made contact with the head and in another sentence say it wasnt an illegal hit. :facepalm:

You dont have to like the rule, you dont have to think they apply it correctly in most cases but its blatantly clear that by letter of the law JJSS's hit was illegal and the people that literally created the rule and know EXACTLY what they dont want in the game, agree with that.

The NFL also SHOULDNT suspend players for smoking pot but guess what the rule is the rule so if you get busted smoking pot thats the consequence.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Mod Warning ...
This thread has become unnecessarily hostile. Dial it back. Politics do not belong in this thread, take it here if you must.
Thread bans will follow infractions for those who can't help themselves.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Awful. Wasn't the first thing UCMC told Steelers "no surgery needed"?
Did someone screw up?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Yeesh. Not good. Hoping he’ll recover and soon, but from all I’ve read if he were going to recover quickly (like Maddox did), it would have happened already and he wouldnt have needed surgery.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Well we got no details for most of 3 days....had a horrible feeling things weren't right.
But does this mean his spine was not stable from the start? That's bad.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Awful. Wasn't the first thing UCMC told Steelers "no surgery needed"?
Did someone screw up?

I think they meant "no surgery now" which would have been emergency surgery.

From what little I know about this type of surgery, people can walk again, but they have to live a careful life, which likely means the end of his career. Basically I believe how the nerves heal will play a big part in his quality of life going fwd... i.e. being able to walk and function without pain.

We'll wait and see what the experts say, but as long as he can walk again and has a high quality of life, that's all that matters to me TBTH.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Ray Lewis defends JuJu Smith-Schuster's hit on Vontaze Burfict

The game is in real trouble," said Lewis, currently a semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. “JuJu, Hines Ward was on the sideline during that game. Hines Ward made that same block famous. Now, standing over him, that’s a problem. That hit, that’s football."

Chalk up a HoF who's in my corner.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think they meant "no surgery now" which would have been emergency surgery.

From what little I know about this type of surgery, people can walk again, but they have to live a careful life, which likely means the end of his career. Basically I believe how the nerves heal will play a big part in his quality of life going fwd... i.e. being able to walk and function without pain.

We'll wait and see what the experts say, but as long as he can walk again and has a high quality of life, that's all that matters to me TBTH.

Yeah, it would seem spinal stabilization surgery is to prevent secondary damage from the initial injury, which would suggest the initial injury was pretty bad. Hope we get an update soon.

The older you get, and after you have kids, the more troubling it is to see essentially a kid suffer this kind of injury.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

The game is in real trouble," said Lewis, currently a semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. “JuJu, Hines Ward was on the sideline during that game. Hines Ward made that same block famous. Now, standing over him, that’s a problem. That hit, that’s football."

Except nobody is arguing that, but keep changing the subject

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Reactions: Ogrezilla

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yes, I'll be surprised if Shazier plays football again but it seems like fairly good news for his ability to walk and have a functional life

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I'm still amazed they would elect to move him if they really did know his spine was unstable. You stabilize first. Before you put somebody in a helicopter.
It sounds like they figured that out after they got to Pgh.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm still amazed they would elect to move him if they really did know his spine was unstable. You stabilize first. Before you put somebody in a helicopter.
It sounds like they figured that out after they got to Pgh.

There is no way the doctors in Cincinnati would have released him accordingly. They stabilized him enough for transport. It just sucks for Ryan. Hopefully, he is able to lead a normal life....football is indeed secondary at this point.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

I said this a few days ago and it bears repeating:

It doesn't matter what you, I, Mike Mitchell or Ray Lewis think the rule should be. You were so quick to label me as "outraged" that you forgot (or totally missed) where I posted that I don't personally like the crack back rule.

The difference between you and I is that I can not like a rule while understanding that it is a rule that exists in today's football.

You, however, want to claim the hit was legal simply because that is how you, Mike Mitchell and Ray Lewis think the rules should work. I am going to use your tactics against you and suggest finding a new sport if you don't like rules against headshots because the rules are not gonna change.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I just came across Shazier's Players Tribune article while reading about his injury... all the teasing he went through and then to become an NFL star and have something like this happen. Feel so badly for him...

“Bruh” | By Ryan Shazier

Reactions: PensPlz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad