OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Because the NFL is super duper serious about player safety, remember that THIS WAS NOT SUSPENDABLE OFFENSE

Reactions: TNT87

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Even though I don't watch much football anymore, I used to see crackbacks like JuJu's every week, but guys usually got back up like in the video above.

I think the rule changed 7-8 yrs ago, but it rarely ever got called unless it was Ward from what I noticed.

Burfict didn't get up, Juju stood up and punked him, and the announcers suddenly were agt violence, even though one of them was just condoning Burfict's violence earlier.

I said I had no issue with JuJu's suspension, but that was with the assumption the other suspension held up.

It's all hypocritical and funny.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Headshot on defenseless receiver= No suspension. Crushing block with minimal head contact+taunting=1 game. Piledriving elbow into a guy after the whistle= also 1 game. This isn't even incompetence anymore, it's lunacy . Hines Ward was celebrated for those exact blocks. ESPN had a segment every week called "jacked up". How does the NFL condemn THAT, yet the direct headshot on a receiver gets no games, and a post-whistle elbow pile-drive gets the same suspension?

There is no excuse or justification for these punishments. None.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And your outrage is exactly why I shake my head at certain people here who tried to force down our throats the hit JuJu made was so damn egregious especially in comparison to another that was made in the very same game. Football is being ruined because thin skinned, progressive, and overly sensitive drones gobble up the faux outrage of media and experts alike. As if the majority of folks paying out the ass to keep the NFL in business (us) truly give a damn about millionaires and billionaires life after football. You know the risks and are compensated above 99.9% of the world, by a wiiiiiide margin. STFU and play. I'm not paying your way to kneel and complain about a game being dangerous. You know it. And the hypocrites who decry the "violence" watch just as much and then talk out both sides of their ass in the process.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And your outrage is exactly why I shake my head at certain people here who tried to force down our throats the hit JuJu made was so damn egregious especially in comparison to another that was made in the very same game. Football is being ruined because thin skinned, progressive, and overly sensitive drones gobble up the faux outrage of media and experts alike. As if the majority of folks paying out the ass to keep the NFL in business (us) truly give a damn about millionaires and billionaires life after football. You know the risks and are compensated above 99.9% of the world, by a wiiiiiide margin. **** and play. I'm not paying your way to kneel and complain about a game being dangerous. You know it. And the hypocrites who decry the "violence" watch just as much and then talk out both sides of their ass in the process.

If people are so offended by the violence, they should stop watching. I'm not saying that in a negative way, I'm saying don't pretend to be outraged, then support the NFL by watching it.

Maybe if enough people stop watching the NFL will get the message and actually protect their meat... I mean players.

I've already accepted what it is, a violent sport with owners who just care about profits. It's partly why I barely watch anymore.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I disagree with him, and the league has to protect players from themselves given what we already know about CTE, but MM going off like this still is taking it to an art form.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Don't get me wrong, I want the game safe and players taken care of. But the suspensions just do not add up. One malicious and potentially dangerous hit to the head during play gets 1 game, later taken down to no games. A hard block, potentially dangerous that didn't specifically target the head during play gets one game. An unnecessary, dangerous and illegal elbow after the whistle to a guy's head ALSO GETS ONE GAME.

For 3 entirely different situations and levels of danger, all 3 punishments are the same and 1 was taken away after appeal. I don't get it

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
Might be the homer in me but does anyone think that if the Patriots Steelers game wasn't in two weeks that Gronk would have gotten more than 1 game?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And your outrage is exactly why I shake my head at certain people here who tried to force down our throats the hit JuJu made was so damn egregious especially in comparison to another that was made in the very same game. Football is being ruined because thin skinned, progressive, and overly sensitive drones gobble up the faux outrage of media and experts alike. As if the majority of folks paying out the ass to keep the NFL in business (us) truly give a damn about millionaires and billionaires life after football. You know the risks and are compensated above 99.9% of the world, by a wiiiiiide margin. **** and play. I'm not paying your way to kneel and complain about a game being dangerous. You know it. And the hypocrites who decry the "violence" watch just as much and then talk out both sides of their ass in the process.

#1 thing I know about you - you never played a sport at a high level and you don't know anyone personally who played a sport at a high level. That's what I know.

When you do, and you meet people who are affected for the rest of their life, your mindset changes. MM is going to change his mind if the wrong head hunting hit leaves him with post-football life changing injuries. Then what he's going to be doing is going around to youngsters and tell them to play safer. That's actually what happens.

Most people who want a safer game aren't buying into a media driven campaign. And you just sit there in a chair and never have to worry about what comes next to any of these individuals.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Anyone who disagrees with Mitchell needs to start watching another sport. Epic rant. Legendary.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
#1 thing I know about you - you never played a sport at a high level and you don't know anyone personally who played a sport at a high level. That's what I know.

When you do, and you meet people who are affected for the rest of their life, your mindset changes. MM is going to change his mind if the wrong head hunting hit leaves him with post-football life changing injuries. Then what he's going to be doing is going around to youngsters and tell them to play safer. That's actually what happens.

Most people who want a safer game aren't buying into a media driven campaign. And you just sit there in a chair and never have to worry about what comes next to any of these individuals.

This proves why the internet is full of pretentious know it all's who think they can judge and decipher a person over a f***ing message board.

I played HS football with a fella who happened to play for the Baltimore Ravens from the early to mid 2000's. I was 2 years behind him. Was a stud in college but injuries hampered him in the NFL.

I, myself was all county, all district in baseball for 2 years and football my senior year. I had multiple Division II schools interested in me in both sports. I chose to serve my country in the Air Force for 4 years instead and did 5 tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and other shit holes in that region. Main reason being I felt I wasn't ready for college grind and the military route would provide me with experiences you can't get most other places and of course the GI Bill which ended up helping me pay my own way through school a handful of years later.

My younger cousin currently starts for the Towson Tigers football team.

My grandfather was signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates as a catching prospect in the 1920's (long before there were drafts). He never played pro ball but faced many pro players and Negro stars (including Josh Gibson) around the Pittsburgh/Ohio area in barnstorming leagues.

A co-worker of mine, right now, who has an office just down the hall from me was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks and played minor league ball, all the way up to AAA for 6+ years.

Mike Mitchell just rebuffed NewAgeOutlaw, Ogrezilla, Ramzi and the rest of the folks who want the game baby proofed, or think it can be. Players are STILL getting badly injured, head or otherwise, regardless of rules, fines, public outcry. And why? BECAUSE ITS A f***ING AGGRESSIVE VIOLENT CONTACT SPORT.

If you can't handle that, go watch something else. Do the rest of us a favor and push for more American growth in soccer, golf, and water polo. The vast majority of Americans don't want to watch elite athletes p***y footing around the field, worrying about what is legal and what isn't. They know (Mike Mitchell completely backs up what I've been ranting about for the past 24 hours) it is dangerous and accept the risk.

But hey, you KNOW ME. :huh:

Reactions: DanielPlainview

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just want to clarify a couple things.

1. I don't think anybody here was outraged by Juju's hit. We think it was illegal. I think it should be illegal. But I'm nothing close to outraged by it. Until I saw that he was hurt, I loved it. Doesn't mean I think it should be legal though.

2. I think everyone here agrees that the hit on Brown was worse.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
This proves why the internet is full of pretentious know it all's who think they can judge and decipher a person over a ****ing message board.

I played HS football with a fella who happened to play for the Baltimore Ravens from the early to mid 2000's. I was 2 years behind him. Was a stud in college but injuries hampered him in the NFL.

I, myself was all county, all district in baseball for 2 years and football my senior year. I had multiple Division II schools interested in me in both sports. I chose to serve my country in the Air Force for 4 years instead and did 5 tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and other **** holes in that region. Main reason being I felt I wasn't ready for college grind and the military route would provide me with experiences you can't get most other places and of course the GI Bill which ended up helping me pay my own way through school a handful of years later.

My younger cousin currently starts for the Towson Tigers football team.

My grandfather was signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates as a catching prospect in the 1920's (long before there were drafts). He never played pro ball but faced many pro players and Negro stars (including Josh Gibson) around the Pittsburgh/Ohio area in barnstorming leagues.

A co-worker of mine, right now, who has an office just down the hall from me was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks and played minor league ball, all the way up to AAA for 6+ years.

Mike Mitchell just rebuffed NewAgeOutlaw, Ogrezilla, Ramzi and the rest of the folks who want the game baby proofed, or think it can be. Players are STILL getting badly injured, head or otherwise, regardless of rules, fines, public outcry. And why? BECAUSE ITS A ****ING AGGRESSIVE VIOLENT CONTACT SPORT.

If you can't handle that, go watch something else. Do the rest of us a favor and push for more American growth in soccer, golf, and water polo. The vast majority of Americans don't want to watch elite athletes ***** footing around the field, worrying about what is legal and what isn't. They know (Mike Mitchell completely backs up what I've been ranting about for the past 24 hours) it is dangerous and accept the risk.

But hey, you KNOW ME. :huh:

A lesson in not being a pretentious know-it-all from the guy who claims he is right when he is presented with facts that prove his argument is incorrect and then hurls grade school insults at anybody who disagrees.

This whole time you have been judging and deciphering us over a f***ing message board.

And you still think anybody was "outraged" which means I think your problems start with basic reading comprehension.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I honestly didn't care that Burfict was hurt. I was glad to see him f***ed up and am hoping he misses time.

Maybe people think that's terrible, but he's human garbage that plays the game with a malicious nature to hurt and maim others. The more games he misses, the better chance other players have of not being hurt by this psychopath.

Juju did other players around the league a huge solid if Burfict misses time, zero doubt in my mind.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
A lesson in not being a pretentious know-it-all from the guy who claims he is right when he is presented with facts that prove his argument is incorrect and then hurls grade school insults at anybody who disagrees.

This whole time you have been judging and deciphering us over a ****ing message board.

And you still think anybody was "outraged" which means I think your problems start with basic reading comprehension.

Please, super genius, point out where I did anything other than indirectly call people who don't like to see blocks like JuJu's pansies. I'll wait. And while I wait, I'll again, correctly point out that folks who decry hits like SS made, are still watching, still pouring money into a contact sport they abhor to one degree or another because of variants of said contact. And the greatest faux outrage is that they actually "care" about complete strangers who make loads of money, doing something that is inherently dangerous and know the risks involved (as a player like Mike Mitchell points out, correctly).

I never once started or finished a conversation with "THE #1 THING I KNOW ABOUT YOU" is x, y, z.....

BTW, you wanted legit sources that back up my assertion that the game of football is violent and has violent consequences? I give you Mike f***ing Mitchell. A pro football player. And the majority of people who saw little to nothing wrong with the block itself, because those folks understand and enjoy the ramifications of contact sports, as spectators. And i'd wager the vast majority of players do as well. Or they wouldn't do it.

Also, my reading comprehension is just fine. In fact, my minor happens to be English lit.

Edit: The only thing fines and short suspensions have done to curtail "head shots" and "dangerous plays" is muddy the waters when it comes to punishment and how it does or doesn't fit the crime. Players are still getting concussed just as much as they were last year, 10 years ago, so on and so forth. The only difference is now we make sure they don't go right back onto the field of play. Doesn't diminish or change the fact that football will always be violent and players will always get cracked in the head. Period.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Please, super genius, point out where I did anything other than indirectly call people who don't like to see blocks like JuJu's pansies. I'll wait. And while I wait, I'll again, correctly point out that folks who decry hits like SS made, are still watching, still pouring money into a contact sport they abhor to one degree or another because of variants of said contact. And the greatest faux outrage is that they actually "care" about complete strangers who make loads of money, doing something that is inherently dangerous and know the risks involved (as a player like Mike Mitchell points out, correctly).

I never once started or finished a conversation with "THE #1 THING I KNOW ABOUT YOU" is x, y, z.....

BTW, you wanted legit sources that back up my assertion that the game of football is violent and has violent consequences? I give you Mike ****ing Mitchell. A pro football player. And the majority of people who saw little to nothing wrong with the block itself, because those folks understand and enjoy the ramifications of contact sports, as spectators. And i'd wager the vast majority of players do as well. Or they wouldn't do it.

Also, my reading comprehension is just fine. In fact, my minor happens to be English lit.

Edit: The only thing fines and short suspensions have done to curtail "head shots" and "dangerous plays" is muddy the waters when it comes to punishment and how it does or doesn't fit the crime. Players are still getting concussed just as much as they were last year, 10 years ago, so on and so forth. The only difference is now we make sure they don't go right back onto the field of play. Doesn't diminish or change the fact that football will always be violent and players will always get cracked in the head. Period.

You are arguing with imaginary people who are outraged by the hit. How are you not getting this?

You spent how much on those english lit classes and you still can't tell the difference between people being outraged and people saying the hit was against the rules?(which it was)

Here's what really happened. You started the discussion by saying the hit wasn't illegal because of the initial point of contact. When it was pointed out that the point of contact is irrelevant you realized your original point was wrong. (perhaps because you were arguing without actually understanding the rules you were discussing)

Once you realized you were wrong, you decided to change the subject and now you are continually going on political rants that have nothing to do with the discussion. You clearly think highly of yourself, but in the end you are just nonsensically rambling while 1 guy agrees with you and everybody else thinks you have gone off the rails.

Edit: I'm also gonna need a link on the fact that concussions are just as common now as they were 10 years ago. Not to say that you are wrong, but I want to see the data you are using to come to such a conclusion.

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
NFL can't even get the before-game Anthem nonsense sorted out... and it's been well over a year.

Is anyone really surprised they are botching every single aspect of the actual game as well?

Trash league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad