OT Snowmageddon hits Atlantic Canada

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Absolutely insane........................3 feet of snow.
Tired of shovelling.
Buddy of mine did the bottom of my driveway with his tractor!!
The winds have made the snow on my back deck 5-6 feet high................never seen snow like this that I can ever recall...............
How about you?
Same here man, there are reports here that say 80 cm, I have been out 3 times today. A good buddy of mine did the best he could with a 4-wheeler and plow setup but the shovelling was insane. My deck drifted the same as yours and the winds have packed the snow like cement so it's really difficult to shovel.

Cape Breton has declared a state of emergency, some areas there have 8 feet of snow so far. I watched ATV news and Kalin Mitchell said that there are potentially 25 more centimeters on the way into Tuesday. I haven't experienced a three-day snowstorm here in NS but back in NF we used to get them quite often back in the day. As you would say, it's just brutal!

Reactions: BLONG7 and Runner77

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Attachments

• tenor (1).gif
    tenor (1).gif
    422.5 KB · Views: 2

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
Good luck from Southern NB. We've haven't really seen any snow this weekend. It's been a really easy winter so far for us.

Hopefully everyone is safe over there.

You jinxed us, lol.

I'm in northern NB and like you it's been pretty good... Not complaining.

• Haha
Reactions: Tuggy

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
Hi folks, here in Nova Scotia we are getting walloped with the biggest snowstorm I have ever lived through during my time in this province. It started on Friday night and is forecasted to continue into Monday. So far, we have at least 60 centimeters of snow in my region with winds gusting as high as 70 km/hr and low visibility. Many secondary roads are closed and the RCMP is warning motorists to stay home. There are reports of drifts as high as 7 feet and plows and road crews aren't able to keep up with snowfall that is coming down at 1-4 cm per hour.

There are plenty of us here from Atlantic Canada and I am interested in hearing from you. I spent 3 hours trying to get some snow moved and now my work is disappearing by the minute, fun times.

We're dodging a bullet in northern NB. Stay safe.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Many moons ago I lived for two years on the East Coast and I remember weather systems that hung around for days before they finally weakened or went out to sea. Including one system that buried us in late May, snow covered our vehicles completely. Was shoveling upwards to dig out.

Take care folks, if shoveling take a break when you need one.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
For a man of your experience I would have thought you would be better prepared for a Hunker Down situation. But hope otherwise all is well.
Usually I am but the storm got here quicker than I thought it would and it foiled my plans to go to the liquor store. I have some weed but I wouldn't do much shovelling if I smoked it.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Many moons ago I lived for two years on the East Coast and I remember weather systems that hung around for days before they finally weakened or went out to sea. Including one system that buried us in late May, snow covered our vehicles completely. Was shoveling upwards to dig out.

Take care folks, if shoveling take a break when you need one.
Thank you for your kind words, sir. We have some of the most challenging weather in all of North America, rain, snow, and hurricane-force winds are way too common here. From September to April it seems like we get through a storm, get a short break, and prepare for the next one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thank you for your kind words, sir. We have some of the most challenging weather in all of North America, rain, snow, and hurricane-force winds are way too common here. From September to April it seems like we get through a storm, get a short break, and prepare for the next one.
Figured there would be more of you owning snowblowers. How is shoveling an option with the snowfall you get this time of year? Every season there are casualties on account of heart attacks suffered while shoveling. Try not to be a hero — you’re needed here. :)

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
You jinxed us, lol.

I'm in northern NB and like you it's been pretty good... Not complaining.
The World Pond Hockey Championship in Plaster Rock had to be cancelled again. The Shediac Outdoor Hockey Tournament has been cancelled since 2015. We can’t trust the lakes in NB to be frozen in February anymore. We’re getting another warm spell at the end of this coming week.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Hi folks, here in Nova Scotia we are getting walloped with the biggest snowstorm I have ever lived through during my time in this province. It started on Friday night and is forecasted to continue into Monday. So far, we have at least 60 centimeters of snow in my region with winds gusting as high as 70 km/hr and low visibility. Many secondary roads are closed and the RCMP is warning motorists to stay home. There are reports of drifts as high as 7 feet and plows and road crews aren't able to keep up with snowfall that is coming down at 1-4 cm per hour.

There are plenty of us here from Atlantic Canada and I am interested in hearing from you. I spent 3 hours trying to get some snow moved and now my work is disappearing by the minute, fun times.
It’s been crazy here in Dartmouth. I think today has been the worst because of the wind. Threw my back out shovelling lol typical from a bad football injury. I live on a bit of a hill and seen some cars get stuck. One idiot breaking the parking ban and getting a ticket at 2am last night while I cried about Monahan leaving

So... Worse than White Juan?
I don’t think. Cape Breton is probably worse than white Juan though but not Halifax regional municipality

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
The World Pond Hockey Championship in Plaster Rock had to be cancelled again. The Shediac Outdoor Hockey Tournament has been cancelled since 2015. We can’t trust the lakes in NB to be frozen in February anymore. We’re getting another warm spell at the end of this coming week.

No, it wouldn't be wise to consider it. Breaking thru ice with a current would be a terrible way to go.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Figured there would be more of you owning snowblowers. How is shoveling an option with the snowfall you get this time of year? Every season there are casualties on account of heart attacks suffered while shoveling. Try not to be a hero — you’re needed here. :)
Thing is , shoveling, mowing the lawn, that's the stuff that also helps keep you in shape to not have a heart attack. 😉

Moderation. Pace yourself. Take a break.

Snowblower ? Pfft

HabSgt

Go Habs D'OH
Oct 19, 2019
Montreal
Here in Montreal it has been really mild, not like Winter at all. However January is usually not that bad so I am fully expecting this type of weather now that it is February. :snow:

Just let the snow fall & climb out an upstairs window if you have to go outside I guess.

1707116214346.jpeg

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Stay safe out there my friend!

Thank god after all that shovelling, you have a nice comfy bed to retire to!

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Hope all of you are safe, warm, fed, etc.
If you have to shovel, do it slowly, it's a pretty dangerous activity if you don't otherwise move a lot.

Reactions: BLONG7

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You know, almost up to the end of January this was a pretty mild winter here for both cold and snow. So we had a good wallop a little bit ago and now Snowmegadon to go with White Juan. I mean, go big I guess.

Hope all are good. Special shout out to the Cape Bretoners who no doubt are still shoveling.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Same here man, there are reports here that say 80 cm, I have been out 3 times today. A good buddy of mine did the best he could with a 4-wheeler and plow setup but the shovelling was insane. My deck drifted the same as yours and the winds have packed the snow like cement so it's really difficult to shovel.

Cape Breton has declared a state of emergency, some areas there have 8 feet of snow so far. I watched ATV news and Kalin Mitchell said that there are potentially 25 more centimeters on the way into Tuesday. I haven't experienced a three-day snowstorm here in NS but back in NF we used to get them quite often back in the day. As you would say, it's just brutal!
Brutal..............is an understatement eh.................
Stay safe.....
Guys who have plows on there trucks were not busy this winter until this weekend................this is going to be a recovery that lasts a week easily.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Winter still to the nard here near Yarmouth. Little snow, 10 cm maybe

Reactions: OldCraig71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad