OT Snowmageddon hits Atlantic Canada

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hi folks, here in Nova Scotia we are getting walloped with the biggest snowstorm I have ever lived through during my time in this province. It started on Friday night and is forecasted to continue into Monday. So far, we have at least 60 centimeters of snow in my region with winds gusting as high as 70 km/hr and low visibility. Many secondary roads are closed and the RCMP is warning motorists to stay home. There are reports of drifts as high as 7 feet and plows and road crews aren't able to keep up with snowfall that is coming down at 1-4 cm per hour.

There are plenty of us here from Atlantic Canada and I am interested in hearing from you. I spent 3 hours trying to get some snow moved and now my work is disappearing by the minute, fun times.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Hi folks, here in Nova Scotia we are getting walloped with the biggest snowstorm I have ever lived through during my time in this province. It started on Friday night and is forecasted to continue into Monday. So far, we have at least 60 centimeters of snow in my region with winds gusting as high as 70 km/hr and low visibility. Many secondary roads are closed and the RCMP is warning motorists to stay home. There are reports of drifts as high as 7 feet and plows and road crews aren't able to keep up with snowfall that is coming down at 1-4 cm per hour.

There are plenty of us here from Atlantic Canada and I am interested in hearing from you. I spent 3 hours trying to get some snow moved and now my work is disappearing by the minute, fun times.

It's time to get some sleep.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL

So... Worse than White Juan?

Reactions: habsfan891

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Lucky you here it's sunny and only -4 so I have to remove a layer

I love snow like Evgeny Kuznetsov

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Just for education purposes: what's the worst, the wind that creates these snow piles, or the quantity of snow? And is it unusual for the Maritimes to get that amount ?

Hang in there Craig :)
The wind is the worst because along with creating drifts it reduces or eliminates visibility making life very difficult for road crews and plow operators to deal with. Nort East wind direction always gives us the worst storms here in Atlantic Canada. Typically we get 10-30 centimeters but this one is unusually big and lasting 3 days once it ends.

So... Worse than White Juan?
How much accumulation came from White Juan? We are forecasted to receive 80-90 cms by the time this ends.

Lucky you here it's sunny and only -4 so I have to remove a layer

I love snow like Evgeny Kuznetsov
It's luck but not the good kind. I don't hate snow but I hate large amounts of it over a short period.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I live on south west tip of NS. we never got much snow. A light dusting. But it's cold and blowing

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
How much accumulation came from White Juan? We are forecasted to receive 80-90 cms by the time this ends.

According to this, the Halifax area got almost a metre of snow This Atlantic blizzard is giving shades of White Juan, here's the comparison - The Weather Network

Basically Cape Breton is getting the equivalent of what southern Nova-Scotia got that time. Winds aren't as strong this time around, but still strong around to create big snow drifts. Duration is also different as White Juan went by quickly.

Bah, good luck to all of you in NS!

Reactions: OldCraig71

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia

You weren't here for White Juan like 18 years ago it was something dumb like 93cm in 24 hours lol

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
This isn't White Juan where in Halifax we got 93-96 cm in about 16 or so hours.

However I have never seen 2 days of steady snow here in Halifax. And counting.Initially they were talking about 25-30cm in total but that was reached many hours ago. At best its steady snow and at worst it's blizzard like with the wind.

Now it's all worth it for my 2 year old Lab Molly as she absolutely loves it. Took her for a good walk yesterday during snow and high winds with snow about a foot high. Think she picked up the scent of coyotes we have seen here and she pulled me to turn back to home. And yes I'm in Halifax. Today it's hard to get over the snow banks.

Hunker down and enjoy.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

wow take care, be safe and it might be time to head into a 96 hour hibernation

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

Hope it ends soon. Up in Moncton it only started after noon and we have maybe 10cm...so pretty isolated to NS.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

I hope you listened to Frankie and have plenty of storm chips and Chinese food! Stay safe

Reactions: OldCraig71

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
@BLONG7 how are you faring out in all of this? It seems that Eastern NS and Cape Breton are getting the worst of this.
Absolutely insane........................3 feet of snow.
Tired of shovelling.
Buddy of mine did the bottom of my driveway with his tractor!!
The winds have made the snow on my back deck 5-6 feet high................never seen snow like this that I can ever recall...............
How about you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad