OT: Fitness and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
For anyone around the West Island of Montreal, I just discovered a great physiotherapy place: Synergy, located on Brunswick just west of Boul. des Sources. Very personalized and less expensive than Action Sports Physio. Been working through a tight hamstring the last month that's affecting my running; this girl gave me a complete diagnostic, with very precise, thorough instructions.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So I just shaved my fur, now I can't stop looking at my abs in the mirror.

It's crazy how excessive chest hair makes you look fatter than you are.

For anyone around the West Island of Montreal, I just discovered a great physiotherapy place: Synergy, located on Brunswick just west of Boul. des Sources. Very personalized and less expensive than Action Sports Physio. Been working through a tight hamstring the last month that's affecting my running; this girl gave me a complete diagnostic, with very precise, thorough instructions.

Care to give us a ball park of the dough for one consultation ?

Try german volume style. 10 sets of 10 reps of chin ups, then do 3-5 complimentary exercises, 3x12, so DB curls, hammer curls, preacher, ez bar, etc..

But biceps are small muscles, and not everyone can get huge arms.

Yeah, I've tried GVT but nothing happened to my biceps :laugh:

It's not the fact that they are not big, I can deal with that. It's the fact that my long head is underdevelopped. I don't have a "peak" when looking at the exterior (back double bicep) of my arm, but I have one when looking from the inside (Front double biceps).

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have really let myself go the last few months, just been so busy with school, not making good eating choices and no time to do anything.

Now that it's done I need to find a way to get back into the gym. I want to focus more on building muscle as I have lost a LOT of it while marathon training... Still planning on doing the Montreal Marathon next year but I think the key is going to be more of a muscular increase because my endurance is as good as it will get... Better times will come from stronger legs.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm paying $300 for a lower back MRI tonight and am not sure if I should pay $550 to also scan my feet.

The former is to check if I have a hernia. I have been doing physio for months and it's not helping much. Pain ebbs and flows. The back is a long term problem that flared up again earlier this year.

The latter is due to resistance I developed in my feet in the past two or three months including the right heel. I'm not sure what that is.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I have two herniated disks in the lower back. L4/L5 and L5/S1. It was comfirmed by MRI. Both mild-tp-moderate, no serious pain on the leg. For the next while, I will be doing:

- Zero weightlifting - sad as I will lose my strength gains;
- Zero cardio;
- A lot of stretching;
- A lot of walking;
- Sleeping on the floor;
- Low-GI, high-fat diet.

I went to a GP. He had no useful advice. He did refer me to a neurosurgeon which is standard for all spine issues, regardless of whether or not one needs surgery. I did some Internet research and hernias often heal on their own, though I could find little information as to the rate of success.

I also spoke to the GP about male parttern baldness. He was spectacularly ignorant. I've decided if I am to pursue this issue in the future then it won't be with him, lol.

Also, he prescribed codeine as a painkiller but did not warn me about the constipation side effect.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have two herniated disks in the lower back. L4/L5 and L5/S1. It was comfirmed by MRI. Both mild-tp-moderate, no serious pain on the leg. For the next while, I will be doing:

- Zero cardio;
- A lot of stretching;
- A lot of walking;
- Sleeping on the floor;
- Low-GI, high-fat diet.

I went to a GP. He had no useful advice. He did refer me to a neurosurgeon which is standard for all spine issues, regardless of whether or not one needs surgery. I did some Internet research and hernias often heal on their own, though I could find little information as to the rate of success.

I also spoke to the GP about male parttern baldness. He was spectacularly ignorant. I've decided if I am to pursue this issue in the future then it won't be with him, lol.

Also, he prescribed codeine as a painkiller but did not warn me about the constipation side effect.

I think I may or may not have herniated one of my spinal disk. I decided to do my back day right after my leg day, which I never ever do, and I went all out with the weight. Made pyramidal deadlifts until 365 lbs (About 80% of my 1rm, So pretty heavy for me) and then I felt my leg go from under me as I executed the lift. I dropped the bar immediatly and my back felt extra tight. Two weeks later I'm showing sings of sciatica. (Numbness in the tailbone, left leg pain, pain in the left lower back...) I've been stretching and hoping things get better. If they're not better when I get back from Varadero on the 12th I'll have to go see someone.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Still going strong with the gin and tonic diet. Man, you lose all these extra days quite fast with this diet. :laugh:

Seriously, I don't know how I go through the holidays and not gain much weight, if any. I probably take an extra 1000 calories every day just with alcohol. But then again, I skip breakfast... and sometimes lunch. Gotta get your priorities straight. Breakfast can wait until January.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

- Zero cardio;
- A lot of stretching;
- A lot of walking;
- Sleeping on the floor;
- Low-GI, high-fat diet.

I have good medical background (nursing bachelor and finishing in osteopathy)... let me tell you, MANY people have herniated discs and live a good life pain free. On the other hand, many people DON'T have hernias and have pain/neuro symptoms. Find yourself a good osteopath, or physio, and see where it goes... you'll be surprised.

Also, you don't have to completely stop working out, just lower your weights and concentrate on good form. Also, cardio is good, just avoid impacts (time for some elliptical).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I have good medical background (nursing bachelor and finishing in osteopathy)... let me tell you, MANY people have herniated discs and live a good life pain free. On the other hand, many people DON'T have hernias and have pain/neuro symptoms. Find yourself a good osteopath, or physio, and see where it goes... you'll be surprised.

Also, you don't have to completely stop working out, just lower your weights and concentrate on good form. Also, cardio is good, just avoid impacts (time for some elliptical).

My hernia is likely the cause of my lower back pain. Its presence which was suggested by symptoms is confirmed by an MRI.

I might work out at more moderate levels. Thanks.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Are there any keto friendly grocery stores in Montreal?

Don't know of any but why is this an issue? Keto is straightforward: meat, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, green vegetables, spices, some yogurts, tea, coffee, club soda.

Maybe mushrooms, onions, capsicums, eggplant, tofu, in small quantities.

It must be hard to have a social life on keto. Most restaurants have no keto-free options.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

- Zero cardio;
- A lot of stretching;
- A lot of walking;
- Sleeping on the floor;
- Low-GI, high-fat diet.

Cycling or stationery bike is good for the lower back.

Another thing that really help is Bikhram Yoga (hot yoga)
I did hot yoga 3-4 times a week for 3 months and it helped a lot withy lower back and my general posture.
Should I also mention the scenery in class.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I've said before that the hot yoga studio may have the highest density of beautiful women in my city.

Probably many cities :-p

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have gained an obscene amount of weight over the holidays!!! Holy crap, I'm up almost 20 lbs! Way too much booze and food... and not enough exercise. Time to get back on track

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002

- Zero cardio;
- A lot of stretching;
- A lot of walking;
- Sleeping on the floor;
- Low-GI, high-fat diet.

I'll say that the whole plan you have isn't good at all. I'd advise you to find a physical therapist or like we have here (Kinesiologue, but be aware that many other profession have a similar name without the studies; http://www.kinesiologue.com/).

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Cycling or stationery bike is good for the lower back.

Another thing that really help is Bikhram Yoga (hot yoga)
I did hot yoga 3-4 times a week for 3 months and it helped a lot withy lower back and my general posture.
Should I also mention the scenery in class.

This is poor advice. Stationnary bike puts the lower back in flexion which is the worst kind of stress for herniated disc.

To DAC, you're not doing yourself any good with the internet seaches and replies on this forum. You need to see someone with expertise.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This is poor advice. Stationnary bike puts the lower back in flexion which is the worst kind of stress for herniated disc.

To DAC, you're not doing yourself any good with the internet seaches and replies on this forum. You need to see someone with expertise.

Wouldn't that depend on the hernia ? Well, for most hernia you're probably right.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'll say that the whole plan you have isn't good at all. I'd advise you to find a physical therapist or like we have here (Kinesiologue, but be aware that many other profession have a similar name without the studies; http://www.kinesiologue.com/).

I'm seeing a neurosurgeon on February 15th (that's what they do in this country) and that's the earliest he's available.

I'm already seeing a physio, but for the next few weeks I'm traveling.

Why is my plan no good at all?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

I didn't say to do the your de France. I have a herniated disc myself and stationery bike help if done st s slow/moderate pace. It was a suggestion from my physician.

Anyway. I would try hot yoga if I were you.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
... Holy crap, I'm up almost 20 lbs! Way too much booze ...

QSxvbKH.jpg

( yeah, thats a LOT of booze alright!)
:sarcasm:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Waffledave, keep in mind that a carb-rich diet increases water weight.

It's unlikely that you actually ate 70, 000 calories of excess food in 14 days.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm fairly sure it's mostly water weight for sure, since I've been drinking several beers every night for 2-3 weeks now.

Back in November I was 165 lbs, this morning I weighed in at 184 lbs... In a month and a half, even I know I didn't eat that much!

I had a solid workout yesterday but I ****ed my back up lifting weights from the floor and now I can barely move. This is the worst pain I've ever had in my back, including when I had 2 herniated discs. I'm dying here!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In the last few weeks I have read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Taubes has degrees in physics, aerospace engineering, and journalism, and has been a writer for Science Magazine for years, one of the top scientific journals. His book is apparently the #1 best seller in occupational medicine at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462
41ikBliWK8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I bought this ~450 page text to learn more about nutrition. To be honest, I was concerned I would read 450 pages and learn nothing, as nutritional science tends to be extremely qualitative. This wasn't the case, every chapter in the book was bursting at the seams with research results from multiple studies, that were explained in detail. The work of hundreds of researchers spanning hundreds of studies over 150 years was thoroughly and exhaustively explored, leading to several conclusions, some of which were surprising.

The following arguments are convincingly made:
1) Saturated fats and fats in general have nothing or nearly nothing to do with heart disease. The ostensible link originates from 1950s/1960s arguments of the "7-countries study" and other completely spurious pseudo-scientific arguments that should have never been published. Beyond that point, additional arguments were made because researchers invested in the 7-countries study didn't want to lose face.

The 7-countries study from Ancel Key found a correlation between fat consumption in 7 countries and heart disease, which is where most of the popular link originates. However, the correlation does not hold within the countries, and as pointed out by Taubes, the 7 countries were selected in order to deliver the correlation. Including more countries leads to the absence of a correlation. For example, in the 1990s it was considered a "paradox" that the French ate a high-fat diet and had low rates of heart disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Countries_Study

The other factor noted is that the links in association studies are hard to deal, as many samples in western countries involve people who eat diets both high in animal fats and high in sugar. For example, anybody who goes to McDonalds as a high-fat, high-sugar diet. These people then get heart disease, which is used as evidence that fats cause heart disease.

I'll note that it is now common knowledge that dietary fats have nothing to do with heart disease. However, it was still a provocative argument when Taubes made it in 2007.

2) Cholesterol is a misunderstood variable, it isn't intrinsically bad for you to acquire additional cholesterol molecules in the blood. Much of the concerns with cholesterol originate from the fact that it was among the first variables that doctors could reliably measure, so doctors correlated everything with cholesterol. However, first we believed high cholesterol was bad, then we believed high LDL cholesterol was bad, and that HDL cholesterol is in fact good. Taubes details how a lot of researchers were frustrated with the evidence that high HDL cholesterol is good for you, as it created confusion. Beyond that point, Taubes details that even LDL cholesterol is a composite variable, and some parts of it appear to be actually quite good for you.

Those who are my age (32) may remember that when we were children "low cholesterol" foods were said to be a good idea. We don't see low cholesterol advertised on foods anymore, as it's since been demonstrated that blood and dietary cholesterol have nothing to do with one another, and regardless, blood cholesterol is not flat out bad for you.

The evolution can be seen here:
time-covers.jpg

3) Metabolic Syndrome, which is when a person has at least 3 of 5 of abdominal obesity, diabetes, elevated blood pressure, high-serum triglycerides, and low HDL cholesterol, is a "disease of civilization", likely caused by high carbohydrate consumption and in particular high consumption of sugars and simple starches.

An impressive argument in the book, that Taubes does consistently, is detailing how tribes across the world, from the Zulu to the Eskimos, did not suffer from metabolic syndrome when they were eating low-carb diets, even as consumption greatly exceeded 2,000 calories a day. This is found all over the world, regardless of whether or not saturated fats come from animals (Eskimos) or from coconuts (a tribe near New Zealand) and even as they constitute >~30% of dietary calories. However, as simple flour and white sugar were introduced to these communities, and as they migrated to cities and began consuming more westernized diets, obesity emerged. This is not too surprising, but what I did not know is that cancer and alzheimers emerged as well.

An interesting finding is that among these tribes,all over the world, it was documented that blood pressure decreased with age, rather than increased as is common in the west.

4) Obesity is an issue of fat metabolism, rather than energy balance.

This struck me by surprise, as recently as a few months ago I would have told you "calories in versus calories out" but Taubes succeeds in comprehensively dismantling this position, which shocks me. What Taubes argues is that this is an association, rather than a causal relation, and the causality happens to go in the other direction.

If we see an 18 year-old who is 6'5 and another who is 5'5, we don't say that the 6'5 teenager is taller because he consumed more calories. We believe he's taller because he has different genes and different metabolism and hormones. He did in fact likely consume more calories, but that's because he was driven to do so by his biology, rather than the extra calories making him taller.

It's similarly observed in rat experiments. Fat metabolism matters. There are types of rats that are driven to obesity ... given the same amounf of calories, they will be far fatter. In partial agreement with the popular view that obesity is a psychological disorder caused by too much gluttony, one can make these rats have normal weight by starving them. However, they then still have high body fat percentage, as their muscles are gone and all of their organs are starved. Starvation is thus not ideal in this case.

Evidence is also found from hibernating animals. It's extremely hard to prevent them from gaining weight in the periods where they're supposed to gain weight.

5) A calorie isn't a calorie.

An assumption of the argument that obesity is a psychological disorder is that resting metabolism is fixed. It's not fixed. Taubes argues in the book that resting metabolism can crash in response to a high-carb, low-calorie diet, for example by showing that weight loss slows down long-term in those undergoing starvation diets, far earlier than one runs out of body fat.

It's since been confirmed that a high-carb diet slows down metabolism at fixed total calorie consumption. A recent study found a metabolic offset of ~400 calories in a day between a 60% fat diet and a 20% fat diet:
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154#COMMENT

6) Insulin is a dominant variable in fat metabolism. When insulin levels are elevated, the body seeks to grow fat cells, as well as not draw energy from fat cells. When insulin levels are low, the body draws energy from fat cells. A diet which lowers mean insulin levels in the blood will thus be more efficient in the long-term at increasing fat metabolism.

7) High-fat diets increase satiety. The higher the fat content of the diet, the more satisfied people are, even at low calories. In contrast, in low-fat diets, subjects have been observed being hungry even when consuming upwards of 10,000 calories a day, in experiments. I think we all know this from experience ... jelly beans and chocolate chip cookies can be eaten ad infinitum, whereas the same is not true of steak and mushrooms. The latter is eventually satisfying and one stops eating.

8) Historically, low starch, low sugar diets were the standard advice for weight loss. Dozens of supporting studies are discussed. It was only in the 1970s that low-fat diets became the standard advice. This was true all over the world. It was particularly in the USA that researchers advocated high-carb diets. Many of these researchers received grants from Coca Cola.

All in all, I'm now convinced that I should be consuming fewer carbs, and particularly fewer simple carbs, and more fats. I've found that it's extremely difficult to do so. Our entire society is based on carbohydrate consumption. We get served carbs on airplanes, at airports, and at parties, as I've found recently. You can go to most restaurants and not find a single low-carb meal. Steak usually comes with fries, you don't always have a sauteed spinach option.

Another problem I've found is that North Americans don't know what yogurt is. I now live in Australia now, and most yogurts here, nearly all yogurts, are extremely high in sugar, something offensive to Europeans as well. I went to Whole Foods yesterday and I could not find a single yogurt that had more grams of fat than grams of carbohydrates. It's absurd.

Within North America, "Greek" yogurt means 0% fat. In the rest of the world it means the exact opposite, it means very high fat. It's really bizarre. Anyway, most of you won't understand these two paragraphs since you all believe that yogurt should have 0 grams of fat and 30 grams of sugars.

There are other scams to be found in north american supermarkets, like skim milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad