OT: Fitness and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No offense taken. I love my sandbag, one of my best purchase ever. I know everyone say to make your own sandbag, but mine is just so well made. Never spill sand on the floor, it's easy to switch the weight, the handles are tough and confortable. The bag cost me 225 with all the fees. It's a Goruck sandbag. The problem for me is that I live in a studio. I don't have the place for a rack. And I can't drop weight on the floor. But with a sandbag, it takes no place, it's heavy and it can't mess your floor if you drop it.

Also, the bag gives me 4 weight, 20, 40, 60 and 80lbs. The same in iron kettlebell or dumbbell would cost way more than 225$. And the bag can easily mimic a kettlebell or an olympic bar for exercice like the squat or the swing.

You can make your own sandbag, if you don't want to invest in one, but I can assure you that 225$ is not expensive for what it does. You can do new kind of exercices and it's heavy enough (for me) for strenght training.

Good that it fits your needs. 225$ seems very pricey for a sandbag...they're usually around 80$..

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I would have preferred something like that but I just couldn't pass on that deal given that for the same price as this power rack I got the rack, the bar, a bench and the weights.

I feel you, I'd definitely be tempted, I'm just not confident enough to go without the spotter bars, anyway I think that's what they're called.

I'm hoping I can find a good deal on an olympic bar+weight set on kijiji when I finally pull the trigger on the cage.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I bought some some BCAA+electrolyte powder yesterday. I'm not sure if it's good for anything -- whatever. I'll be drinking it on cardio days.

I had two cheat days this weekend. One thanksgivingdinner, one christmas BBQ at the director's house. I should handle these better.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
Good that it fits your needs. 225$ seems very pricey for a sandbag...they're usually around 80$..

It would has cost me 145$ if it wasn't for 40$ of shipping and 40$ custom tax. But I wanted a sandbag that never leaks that will last a long time. Goruck products are very tough. Since sandbag are thrown, dropped, pulled, I prefered to go with the top brand.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Best thing i did was getting myself an elliptical in my case.

I do 4 x thirty minutes sessions on it a week and i lift weights at home right after that. I placed a TV there so i have NO excuse to not train!

Ellipticals might be considered a bit costly but you can have this one under $2000. when on sale. Now how many weekends of drinking/smoking does THAT buy you...? For some people 2000 bucks buys them only2 or 3 months of weekends abusing their bodies, this machine doesnt.

And when i dont feel like training i just remember that motivation line i put under my pics...

ftyWMvw.gif

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
I know I was just clamoring for home gym, but last month I got a membership at the EconoFitness Gym in Longueuil with my girlfriend. For 10$ a month, it's a very decent gym. It has everything you need if you're not very strong (the dumbbells top 75lbs). And because it attracts more gym noobs and "strong guys", everyone is on the machines. So even in rush hours, the squat racks and the freeweights are always free. So, I can do what I can't at home.

Right now, I'm doing the Stronglift 5x5, three times a week, and a HIIT with my sandbag, once a week. After 6 months of endurance and cardio training for my marathon, I wanted to focus on simple strenght training. I like the Stronglift workout, but it leaves out a lot of muscles. That's why I add a sandbag session. Also, you're supposed to do this workout for 12 weeks. That seems a long time for just 5 exercices. Since my goals are overall fitness/strenght and endurance, I don't want to specialized. But it's easy to see results with Stronglift. I recommend it, if you have experience in weight lifting. I don't think it's a good workout to get in shape.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Trainer today gave me a modified version of a crossfit workout called "Fran". Apparently all the exercises in crossfit are named after women.

21 reps of clean and press including frontal squat between the clean and the press
21 reps of (assisted) pullups
3 reps HIIT on the treadmill

Repeat with 15 and 9 reps.

Very painful and tiring. Good workout. I was utterly drained and my heart rate reached 175. A lot of lactic acid, particularly in my forearms. I wasn't able to do the sets straight.

I told him (as a joke) that the workout would be better if he used the Fibonacci sequence for the number of reps: 21-13-8-5-3-2-1. That would be more natural :)

We followed up witha circuit of boxing, planks, crunches.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Trainer today gave me a modified version of a crossfit workout called "Fran". Apparently all the exercises in crossfit are named after women.

21 reps of clean and press including frontal squat between the clean and the press
21 reps of (assisted) pullups
3 reps HIIT on the treadmill

Repeat with 15 and 9 reps.

Very painful and tiring. Good workout. I was utterly drained and my heart rate reached 175. A lot of lactic acid, particularly in my forearms. I wasn't able to do the sets straight.

I told him (as a joke) that the workout would be better if he used the Fibonacci sequence for the number of reps: 21-13-8-5-3-2-1. That would be more natural :)

We followed up witha circuit of boxing, planks, crunches.

''Fran'' is a benchmark in Crossfit. It's a classic workout that you do every so often to measure your progress.
The idea behind the women's name is this:
''According to the National Weather Service the
use of “short, distinctive given names in written
as well as spoken communications is quicker and
less subject to error” than “more cumbersome”
identification methods, so since 1953 storms have
been assigned female given names.
''

They also have Hero Wods that are workouts named after military personnel that have been lost in the line of duty. There are hundreds of them.

As for ''Fran''. The real workout is 21-15-9 reps of Thrusters (combination of front squat+press) at 95lbs and Pull ups. The fastest time recorded for completion of this workout is under 2min...Pretty crazy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm feeling freaking great right now. Motivation is through the roof. Started seeing my upper abs when I flex. Chest game on point. On my way to some of the best shape I ever been in and all that at a whopping 193 lbs instead of 170! That crazy dirty bulk might have been a good thing actually.

Any body have an idea how I could target the outer muscle of the bicep ? (Long head I think) at the base of my bicep, the inner muscle is really pronounced but the outer is lacking a lot.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
...Any body have an idea how I could target the outer muscle of the bicep ? (Long head I think) at the base of my bicep, the inner muscle is really pronounced but the outer is lacking a lot.

If you want the outer bicep to grow do reverse curls or hammer curls. These are the two best lifts for the area. These curls work because they work the upper and outer parts of the bicep which is all part of the same head of the biceps.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
i'm feeling freaking great right now. Motivation is through the roof. Started seeing my upper abs when i flex. Chest game on point. On my way to some of the best shape i ever been in and all that at a whopping 193 lbs instead of 170! That crazy dirty bulk might have been a good thing actually.

Any body have an idea how i could target the outer muscle of the bicep ? (long head i think) at the base of my bicep, the inner muscle is really pronounced but the outer is lacking a lot.

respect.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hmm Hammer curls aren't cutting it. Hammer curls have been in and out of my routine since 2008.

I really have a bicep weakness. Every other muscles are bursting and my bicep are just there like yo!

Thanks DA!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm doing ~9 days of super-exercise as an experiment on myself.

This morning I did my standard workout, added two sets of tricep extensions and assisted pull-ups.

I'm going to a yoga class in an hour. Before bed I will go for a long walk.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Hmm Hammer curls aren't cutting it. Hammer curls have been in and out of my routine since 2008.

I really have a bicep weakness. Every other muscles are bursting and my bicep are just there like yo!

Thanks DA!

I know that feel. Everything else? Develops just fine. The ****ing biceps? Nope. All the development in that area just goes to the triceps, whether I do a lot of exercises or very little. I can kill biceps and still won't see a huge gain.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
...All the development in that area just goes to the triceps, whether I do a lot of exercises or very little. ..

Thats why i pre exhaust the triceps BEFORE i do biceps. When the triceps are already tired they dont offer as much support when you do the biceps. I then do my regular biceps and when i cant lift anymore i put down the weights and finish the set with a 10 lbs. That weight seems VERY heavy at that stage but it works for me.

Same thing applies when you do the chest: just do 2 or 3 exercises to take the triceps out of that lifting motion. You'll see that you cant lift as much as you did before because now the ches muscles are being sollicited way more .

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thats why i pre exhaust the triceps BEFORE i do biceps. When the triceps are already tired they dont offer as much support when you do the biceps. I then do my regular biceps and when i cant lift anymore i put down the weights and finish the set with a 10 lbs. That weight seems VERY heavy at that stage but it works for me.

Same thing applies when you do the chest: just do 2 or 3 exercises to take the triceps out of that lifting motion. You'll see that you cant lift as much as you did before because now the ches muscles are being sollicited way more .

Learning to emphasize a muscle is even more important. I never have trouble doing triceps or what ever since I work chest so well.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
As far as I know, you need the right genes to have huge biceps. I'm a thin tall guy. My arms are like me, long and thin. When I was younger, I was emphazing on biceps, with no big improvement. They where not big, and didn't look big. I will never look like the Rock or Mark Wallberg. Those guys are freaks of nature.

But some years ago, I discovered that if you have small arms, you can make them look bigger with definition. I did 2 years of muay thai and back then, my arms looked their best in my life. Doing punching drills on sandbag is a good way to train your arms and shoulders. And it's fun. Right now, I only work on bigger muscles groups and total body workout. I believe that if you work all planes of motions, in differents kind of ways, you will work your arms. You just need to work on your grip strenght. Heavy Suitcase carry is a good exercise for arm size and the core. After every workout, I take the heaviest kettlebell I can take with one hand, I walk around the gym one time, than switch hand. By walking with an heavy load on one size, you work your balance, core strenght and grip strenght.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Thanks DA!

Try german volume style. 10 sets of 10 reps of chin ups, then do 3-5 complimentary exercises, 3x12, so DB curls, hammer curls, preacher, ez bar, etc..

But biceps are small muscles, and not everyone can get huge arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad