Oshawa Generals 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mississauga is the better team but they should be concerned with Mancina. He's an average goalie. Mississauga has more speed and offense and should be winning the series. Obviously with the Generals moving out all their top players they were prepared for this but are hoping for good times in the future.

The concerning parts I'm watching is really lack of hustle, finish of checks or any real physical play from the Generals. Another concern in this series is the carelessness with the puck thats happening too often. I have been at every game and there doesn't seem to be any urgency. I'm not sure if there is a disconnect with the coach but the players don't look like they are listening to any direction from the bench.

Total different feel when DJ Smith was here, even the two years before the Memorial cup team.
Just my opinion but this team seems to lack in leadership on the ice. Maybe its because they are young but the players with the letters on their jersey don't seem to be the rally the troops, get in guys faces or lead on the ice. It just seems they are going through the motions.

As a fan I was a little disappointed with crowd last night. I guess being mid week and on same night as Blue Jays home opener didn't help but really same energy there as in Mississauga last night which is embarrassing.

I have a feeling there might be a few changes after the year. This team needs to increase their size, skill, speed and get back to what the Generals were known for in previous years.

Just my opinion:popcorn:

Don't lay too much stock in what the Generals lack this year. Everything that was done was done to gear up for the potential of a Memorial Cup hosting.

Jones was vying to get more talent up front via trade all season. PArt of that is leadership and experience. They were right in on Felhaber but Ottawa "slightly" outbid them with a higher 2nd round pick and two 3rds for two 4ths instead of two 4ths straight up.

I honestly feel they were planing on acquiring that experience and leadership via trade starting in the offseason. Whether they change gears and hold back a bit is the question.

There is nothing wrong with the foundation of the Generals team. They lack speed but they have size and the skating should improve with more experience. McShane was a big addition. He is lights out! You have a marquee player to build around for sure.

I like the coaching staff. They are in it to win and their focus is on that daily. Next year may be another progression year similar to what the 67's will be going through but if they stay a little patient and manage those assets effectively, they should be a force in 2019-2020.

As a 67's fan it should be interesting to watch the battle between Oshawa and Ottawa in 2019-2020. IT will be a fun ride.

Longtime Gens fan

Apr 23, 2015
wonder why arena over half empty?

No group sales, 3 games in 5 days. Leaf playoff game, Blue Jays home opener to name a few reasons. Still it is unfortunate that there have not been more tickets sold. I will be interested in how today is. Hopefully a better crowd.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
No group sales, 3 games in 5 days. Leaf playoff game, Blue Jays home opener to name a few reasons. Still it is unfortunate that there have not been more tickets sold. I will be interested in how today is. Hopefully a better crowd.

I think its the price especially a mother with a couple of kids pretty expensive day

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Doesn't look like very many in attendance today. Saturday afternoon's a tough time to have to play. But then, the Leafs are on tonight. Not much you can do - especially since the Gens are down 3-1 in the series. Maybe a few more fans would have taken in the game had they been in the series at this point.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Hi Gens fans - I am waving from down the 115 in Peterborough
Hope you guys have a big win today- good luck

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
2 things about this game today.....where are the fans???!!! heard about earlier games poor attendance possibly related to leafs and blue jays games not sure about today.. too bad because i think the gens could steal a game again...ALSO where is brodeur?? hurt? potential last OHL game opening a door why why why wouldnt you try that last game not his potential last game i'd be dying with the guy that brought you unless he's hurting

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
2 things about this game today.....where are the fans???!!! heard about earlier games poor attendance possibly related to leafs and blue jays games not sure about today.. too bad because i think the gens could steal a game again...ALSO where is brodeur?? hurt? potential last OHL game opening a door why why why wouldnt you try that last game not his potential last game i'd be dying with the guy that brought you unless he's hurting

Its unfortunate for Brodeur, but the vote of confidence for Keyser will be huge going into next season. Same thing happened to Altshuller in the 2014 playoffs. Appleby played the final game against North Bay...I think he turned out ok. Someone on twitter was also saying Brodeur might've injured something in the previous game.

Longtime Gens fan

Apr 23, 2015
Very disappointing crowd today.

Thanks to the Gens for another season. Now we look forward to next year with a great crew of young players.

Thanks to Brodeur, Mercier and Manchurek for their time in Oshawa. Nice to see them get acknowledged by the crowd at the end.

Go Gens Go.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Its unfortunate for Brodeur, but the vote of confidence for Keyser will be huge going into next season. Same thing happened to Altshuller in the 2014 playoffs. Appleby played the final game against North Bay...I think he turned out ok. Someone on twitter was also saying Brodeur might've injured something in the previous game.
Heard Brodeur got hurt in the second game. Either way played a much stronger Mississauga team. Very fast use their speed well. The young Gens could not keep up. If you told me at beginning of the year that they would finish in the standings where they did. Trade for a future star and win a round I would be and still am pleased. Best of luck to the OAs as they move on and looking forward to next year. Future is bright from what I see. Great game by Keyser
Have a great summer all

freedom880

Jan 29, 2017
The Rebuild continues

Enjoyed watching the Gens this season.. all in all a successful season by large.. needs to get a little faster..and a little more skilled to compete in a couple of years. Maybe some existing players when they mature plus the drafted picks will help the Gens get to that next level. All the best to Brodeur, Mercier and Manchurek in the future. Once a General.. always a General

TimmyHockey

Mar 9, 2017
This is a good young team with great future potential. The deadline moves made them weaker...I think they would've maybe beaten Missy with their previous players but it was a good long term decsion! Future championship team here

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

Yeah feel bad for him had a great junior career. Gens did well to hold their spot after trades. Looking firward to the old petes vs gens rivalry!!! Safe summer to all

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah feel bad for him had a great junior career. Gens did well to hold their spot after trades. Looking firward to the old petes vs gens rivalry!!! Safe summer to all

The Gens did well with their trades for this past season and into the future. Mercier, Brassard, and Kohn were a big reason the Gens remained competitive and made it to round 2. A 2nd, 3rd, and conditional 3rd for both Brassard and Kohn should be viewed as big additions.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
The Gens need to find some snipers/goal scorers for next year. McShane pretty well disappeared against Mississauga and the Gens haven't selected a potential bonafide scorer like Susuki, for example in the last three or four years. And I don't know why we are so slow compared to teams like the Fish and the Soo!

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
The Gens need to find some snipers/goal scorers for next year. McShane pretty well disappeared against Mississauga and the Gens haven't selected a potential bonafide scorer like Susuki, for example in the last three or four years. And I don't know why we are so slow compared to teams like the Fish and the Soo!
Maybe because we draft so low, when we had the 1st overall pick we drafted John Travares. If your talking about slow in the playoffs because I didn't think they were during the season, there was a half a dozen if it was a regular season game wouldn't have been playing due to the flu, Mississauga we're a better team than the Generals. The generals future looks bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad