Oshawa Generals 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakic 19

Jan 3, 2013
So the Hershey centre is booked late next week. Hence why the 2-3-2 format. Also since sundays game is at 2pm. They didn't wanna play a night game followed by an afternoon game. Reasoning for a 2pm saturday game.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Little Gain

I see the Gens have added a 5th obtaining Hamilton's 5th from Sarnia according to the OHL Media site. Also, any thoughts/ wishes for their selections tomorrow?

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I see the Gens have added a 5th obtaining Hamilton's 5th from Sarnia according to the OHL Media site. Also, any thoughts/ wishes for their selections tomorrow?
Did it cost us a 4th and a 10th because the picks are in the future, so they're less valuable?

I'll most likely get overly excited for whatever kid they take so it doesn't really matter to me. I have preferences but I have no idea how it'll play out so I won't try.

I'd love to be a big hypocrite if they got someone like Vukojevic to report when I love complaining to myself about London.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Did it cost us a 4th and a 10th because the picks are in the future, so they're less valuable?

I'll most likely get overly excited for whatever kid they take so it doesn't really matter to me. I have preferences but I have no idea how it'll play out so I won't try.

I'd love to be a big hypocrite if they got someone like Vukojevic to report when I love complaining to myself about London.

As much as I would like to take Vukojevic a big all round defenseman I'm hearing Nathan Staios another Defenseman with good skills but not as big as Vukojevic, which we won't have a chance to acquire him as he will be gone by some team that's ahead of us.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I am thinking maybe they will pull a rabbit out of a hat and take some hidden gem from a 'hockey school ' in the states like they did with Ennis. They haven't had much luck with alumnae namesakes and offspring from NHL players recently although Staios has been mentioned going here, if available.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
With the win tonight the Gens are guaranteed at least 3 more home games this year.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
well that was ugly, they sure as hell did'nt show up for that one!!!

any info on our new drafted players!!!
I just have what the scouting services tweeted out but keep in mind they don't really expand what each players downfalls are (except first 4 picks i talked to a scout about). If you want me to post what they said let me know but I don't want to clog the timeline if you've already read it all.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I went to both games in Mississauga. The big difference so far was Brodeur in game one. Mississauga has at least two first lines and really an average goalie. If they had got a goalie like Brodeur then they would be in the discussion to win the league. they have solid d. They have ZERO fan support. There was more Generals jerseys in the building yesterday.

The Generals are who we thought they were. They really roll 4 lines that are a third line for most teams. the d is ok and the goaltending is the strength. If they had kept cirelli and vande sompel it might be a little different but then we would miss out on what mcshane most likely will become in a few seasons and the draft picks we might use or trade.

For a team that sold at the deadline, getting to the second rd is pretty solid. Is the series over? No way but watching the way mississauga can constantly generate offense and watching our defensive coverage collapse with leaving someone always open will catch up to us.

Now heres hoping that we can work some magic and get Deboer, Tolvanen here next year with a couple of the home run draft picks from the weekend who have comitted to the NCAA. I have read we picked an outstanding american player in John Farinacci.

If these players go all London Knights on us then we could be in that upper tier for a while. I can dream cant I???

Go Gens Go

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
It's already tough trying to figure out how everyone will fit into the team BEFORE we even figure out DeBoer and Tolvanen. But i'll save that conversation for after the season

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I guess if what I'm saying is we have four third lines then there are players who won't be on this team next year.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I'm curious what the fascination is with Deboer.
Is it because his dad is an owner and an NHL coach? Look at his numbers:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=240691

Until you actually see him play I wouldn't be so quick to hang a 'next coming of Christ' on him for next year.
I don't remember reading 'next coming of christ' anywhere. But saying that he won't be a solid addition to the team next year (if he comes) is ridiculous

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Nobody said anything about next Tavares or lindros about deboer but he has great size which the Generals lack a little. Playing at us development level also means he is most likely a prospect with potential. The more potentials you bring in the better the competition for jobs. There are a few guys who might not have guarantees about next year.

GENERALRYEGUY*

Feb 26, 2017
OSHAWA, ONTARIO, CAN
its as dead and quiet in this thread as it was in whatever they call that oshawa arena was for game 3......

not sure what was more boring, last nights gens game or the home opener of the jays!!!

that was the most brutal game all year!!!!! :shakehead:thumbd:

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Mississauga is the better team but they should be concerned with Mancina. He's an average goalie. Mississauga has more speed and offense and should be winning the series. Obviously with the Generals moving out all their top players they were prepared for this but are hoping for good times in the future.

The concerning parts I'm watching is really lack of hustle, finish of checks or any real physical play from the Generals. Another concern in this series is the carelessness with the puck thats happening too often. I have been at every game and there doesn't seem to be any urgency. I'm not sure if there is a disconnect with the coach but the players don't look like they are listening to any direction from the bench.

Total different feel when DJ Smith was here, even the two years before the Memorial cup team.
Just my opinion but this team seems to lack in leadership on the ice. Maybe its because they are young but the players with the letters on their jersey don't seem to be the rally the troops, get in guys faces or lead on the ice. It just seems they are going through the motions.

As a fan I was a little disappointed with crowd last night. I guess being mid week and on same night as Blue Jays home opener didn't help but really same energy there as in Mississauga last night which is embarrassing.

I have a feeling there might be a few changes after the year. This team needs to increase their size, skill, speed and get back to what the Generals were known for in previous years.

Just my opinion:popcorn:

GENERALRYEGUY*

Feb 26, 2017
OSHAWA, ONTARIO, CAN
Commisso is an embarressment, he skates around like hes walking on egg shells, does not hit anyone and hates to be hit LOL...He gives the puck away always and his passes are usually to the other team or no where near his team mates.He stick handeles way too much then loses the puck too then gets frustrated...hes not the only one!!!!!!!!

if changes are going to be made, please start with him!!!!

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Mississauga is the better team but they should be concerned with Mancina. He's an average goalie. Mississauga has more speed and offense and should be winning the series. Obviously with the Generals moving out all their top players they were prepared for this but are hoping for good times in the future.

The concerning parts I'm watching is really lack of hustle, finish of checks or any real physical play from the Generals. Another concern in this series is the carelessness with the puck thats happening too often. I have been at every game and there doesn't seem to be any urgency. I'm not sure if there is a disconnect with the coach but the players don't look like they are listening to any direction from the bench.

Total different feel when DJ Smith was here, even the two years before the Memorial cup team.
Just my opinion but this team seems to lack in leadership on the ice. Maybe its because they are young but the players with the letters on their jersey don't seem to be the rally the troops, get in guys faces or lead on the ice. It just seems they are going through the motions.

As a fan I was a little disappointed with crowd last night. I guess being mid week and on same night as Blue Jays home opener didn't help but really same energy there as in Mississauga last night which is embarrassing.

I have a feeling there might be a few changes after the year. This team needs to increase their size, skill, speed and get back to what the Generals were known for in previous years.

Just my opinion:popcorn:
Can't really disagree with any of your opinions. I think the size thing will come as guys like Noel Ennis Antropov etc are all 2000s and will beef up along with the crop from last year. Positives Ennis will be a stud. Studnica looks like he can take it to another level and Krastenbergs is a great 2nd Euro pick great shot. Listen they are being beat by a way better team that has experience speed skill. When Cirelli MVS and others were traded I expected them to drop down to 5 6. If the east wasn't so weak they would have. I feel they are playing scared to make a mistake which leads to mistakes and they look mentally drained. Remember most of these kids have never played this much hockey before. As for coaching I don't think Jones is bad and don't think team has tuned him out on purpose. I go back to mentally drained. If Brodeur can play like he can they may win another game but I'm pretty sure this series is over and that's not a bad thing. As far as crowd goes I blame the Generals ticket office for not doing any group sales and deals etc. Tuesday nights are not good but nothing you can do. I suspect a pretty low crowd for Thursday with the Leaf game as people will need to watch the only 4 playoff games they get. All in all not throwing in the towel but overall a pretty good season. Thoughts?

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Can't really disagree with any of your opinions. I think the size thing will come as guys like Noel Ennis Antropov etc are all 2000s and will beef up along with the crop from last year. Positives Ennis will be a stud. Studnica looks like he can take it to another level and Krastenbergs is a great 2nd Euro pick great shot. Listen they are being beat by a way better team that has experience speed skill. When Cirelli MVS and others were traded I expected them to drop down to 5 6. If the east wasn't so weak they would have. I feel they are playing scared to make a mistake which leads to mistakes and they look mentally drained. Remember most of these kids have never played this much hockey before. As for coaching I don't think Jones is bad and don't think team has tuned him out on purpose. I go back to mentally drained. If Brodeur can play like he can they may win another game but I'm pretty sure this series is over and that's not a bad thing. As far as crowd goes I blame the Generals ticket office for not doing any group sales and deals etc. Tuesday nights are not good but nothing you can do. I suspect a pretty low crowd for Thursday with the Leaf game as people will need to watch the only 4 playoff games they get. All in all not throwing in the towel but overall a pretty good season. Thoughts?

I agree the young guys will get better. Really in two years mcshane, noel and antropov should be able to make bigger impact. I agree they look drained and obviously with the moves they made i wasnt expecting them to win this series. Hoping that some of their picks will show and that includes Tolvanen when he's drafted by NHL team. I think Wong sounds like a great draft pick this year skill wise.

I have heard too many not great stories about Bob Jones. I hope they are wrong because you can't get into tuning coaches out just because you dont like them. He always has a scowl look on his face. DJ was a tough coach when the game was on but after the game was great with the kids.

I know it was a different team but some of those leaders were really strong and motivated the other players on that team. I still remember Hunter Smith grabbing Lindberg and getting in his face yelling at him to get his head in the game. I thought wow these guys want this bad.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Don't forget it's all house money for the Gens now. They are playing against the best team in the conference (sorry PBO) and with that comes the challenges they've had trouble overcoming. The series is only 2-1 and is far from over. Things can change quickly. However they better change as MIS has been rolling. 52 shots in Game 1 then back to back 7 goal games. Wow.

Also we have to pump the brakes on DeBoer. I get the allure of getting a commit to come but he has had 1 goal and 4 points in 34 USHL games this year.

Compare that to Tolvanen...54pts in 52 games in the same league. (yes I understand Eeli is a year older) But still, it is not even close guys. Definitely pump the brakes on DeBoer and be over the moon for Tolvanen

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I think the appeal of Deboer is his size and the physical game he plays. That makes space for the playmakers. Remember Hunter Smith really changed his linemates games with giving them space and getting pucks out of the corner or screening the front of the net. Value isnt always on the scoresheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad