Speculation: Oscar Klefbom to NYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How is he not?

What has Klefbom done to live up to his potential?

He is a top 4 dman. That is all

Up to a point I would allow the benefit of the doubt.
Took a couple of years, but IMO he has shown more, not less.

However, there is no guarantee he returns to top form or better given injury, surgery, etc.
Reasonable chance he gets close to there, but let's not overvalue that he does.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't think some of you know Bernmeister... its best for all if you just scroll past.

this is like the 2nd or 3rd time you have called for a de facto ignore.

Such calls only contribute to general ignorance across the board and do not add to the competition of ideas.

If you want to criticize on merit, by all means -- I acknowledge your right. But if you have nothing constructive to say, then take your whole haters gonna hate act and consider yourself stuffed.

Reactions: slg1963

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
What would be the Logic for Edmonton to get rid of Klefbom? They should be looking to add a top 4 defenseman, not get rid of them.

There's no logic for Edmonton to deal Klefbom. Some have stated that Edmonton is strong at LD, but if they can add defense instead of subtracting, that would bode well for them.

They could use help on the wings though.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If the Oilers can upgrade any position by trading Klefbom, I am for it, but only if it an upgrade somewhere. Klefbom is not good defensively, so he is no loss in that area for the Oilers. If the Oilers can add a good offensive d-man, it will make Klefbom not much of a loss for the team.

Last edited:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The trouble with this, TODAY, and again, this is a picture in motion subject to change, a Skjei who has 1LD written all over him and fitting that so far is worth more TODAY than a JP hit/miss. Puulj can still get to this ceiling, but acquiring team should not crazy overpay for that at this point. I would gamble on the rest of him, but his skating at a top level is possible, but not yet evident.

Also, Skjeis do not grow on trees.

I do agree on how hard it is to acquire a young top 4 D, but it's also going to be hard to acquire a young top 6 player.

The Oilers aren't going to trade him away for players in their late 20's

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There's no logic for Edmonton to deal Klefbom. Some have stated that Edmonton is strong at LD, but if they can add defense instead of subtracting, that would bode well for them.

We have a lot of LD, but when $10 million worth of LD is tied up in Sekera (who had a brutal season but we’re crossing our fingers he can bounce back) and Russell (who isn’t as bad as some think but he’s no more than a good #5 when used properly and on his proper side) then you really don’t have a lot of flexibility.

A team trying to trade for Nurse or Klefbom would need to offer something a lot more enticing than two years of Kreider to pry one away. We simply do not have a replacement in the system for Klefbom. Our young LHD in the system with NHL upside aren’t ready yet and the Bako squad of ex-Oilers kids just aren’t good enough to be NHLers, never mind top four options.

I think the only way he moves is for an equivalent RD in return, and considering he’s had results from #1D to #4D in various seasons in his short career it’s hard to gauge what an equivalent defender would be.

And please don’t say Faulk. Barf. Klefbom was better defensively with a staph mangled foot than Faulk has ever been.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I do agree on how hard it is to acquire a young top 4 D, but it's also going to be hard to acquire a young top 6 player.

Yep. No team in the NHL needs young productive players on cheap contracts more than Edmonton.

Puljujarvi is 19, had 11 ES goals if I remember right, was largely stapled to Milan Lucic and has a lot of positive arrows in his advanced stats. He’s not some throw in for the Rangers to pluck for a year of Zuccarello.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Agreed.
And I don't think you are seeing most expect like Zuc for Puulj.
Mostly they are other packages or we typically expect Zuc for a 20th or similar 1st this year.

As to what I said about OEL, that would be different from Zuc, obviously.

not trying to be nasty, just matter of factly about it, Oil, like everybody else, made their bed and now have to lie in it.
Sekera and Russel, as Chaotic Orange observes, are the LD causes for concern.
No one wants that atm,

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Not sure if Fourth Period is a good source? They mentioned Oilers would entertain offers for Oscar. The Oilers need wingers .

To Oilers .....Zuke and Kreider

To Rangers...Poolparty and Oscar

I believe Kreider is best player out of the 4. We try to develop Poolparty. Oilers use Zuke for the year and make a playoff push and decide if he is worth resigning. Oscar cost controlled potential top 4? Rangers sign JVR to replace Kreider.

No thanks rather keep kreider

Reactions: haveandare

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
We have a lot of LD, but when $10 million worth of LD is tied up in Sekera (who had a brutal season but we’re crossing our fingers he can bounce back) and Russell (who isn’t as bad as some think but he’s no more than a good #5 when used properly and on his proper side) then you really don’t have a lot of flexibility.

A team trying to trade for Nurse or Klefbom would need to offer something a lot more enticing than two years of Kreider to pry one away. We simply do not have a replacement in the system for Klefbom. Our young LHD in the system with NHL upside aren’t ready yet and the Bako squad of ex-Oilers kids just aren’t good enough to be NHLers, never mind top four options.

I think the only way he moves is for an equivalent RD in return, and considering he’s had results from #1D to #4D in various seasons in his short career it’s hard to gauge what an equivalent defender would be.

And please don’t say Faulk. Barf. Klefbom was better defensively with a staph mangled foot than Faulk has ever been.

I just don't think Klefbom is worth Kreider. I wouldn't do that if I'm the Rangers. Nothing about Klefbom's game says it's a good deal for the Rangers.

Reactions: haveandare

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The Oilers will likely have to bite on something and wave goodbye to at least one good young piece that fans may not like to see go, and Klefbom has to be at least on the table, but this particular deal here I would not do if I were them. They'd be dealing two very good players at the beginning of their careers, and selling low.

If Oilers were giving up a "good young piece" it would have been during this past season when they were desperate. No rush now

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

The logic is that we have 3 other LD, Nurse looked good on the top pair this year, Sekera will be better next year after his knee is 100%, and Russell is fine on the bottom pair. Klefbom is the 2nd best of these guys, but Chiarelli was a dummy and gave 2 of the 3 no trade clauses. You can't have nearly 20 million locked up in left defensemen when none of them are even a true #1. I hope Chiarelli can find a way to move Sekera (or LTIR him) instead, but I'm not holding out hope.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I dont think so.

Kreider is more valuable than Klefbom and it would take more than him to get Kreider from NYR
He really isn't, though.
In no world does a 53* point winger get a 38* point defenseman who is two years younger.

*career best

Reactions: TrentonF

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Edmonton would be stupid to trade Klefbom. I want him on the Leafs so bad. I hope the Leafs can get him. He had a very low PDO this year and terrible luck. He's a good player.

It would be classic Oilers if they sold low on him when the entire team struggled.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The Oil can afford to bring in another 4 million dollar winger. Kreider is a bargain at the moment, and certainly a better option than guys like Hoffman, who have also been discussed.

No, we don't.
60m committed so 15m available to fill 6 roster spots. Plan on 4m of that to Nurse. 11m remaining, 5 players...one of those can't be a 4M winger.
Simply can't take on salary by cheap out (Puljujarvi) and expensive in (Kreider/Hoffman).
It'll have to be = salaries.

It'll have to be Nuge for Kreider. Do you like him that much?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No, we don't.
60m committed so 15m available to fill 6 roster spots. Plan on 4m of that to Nurse. 11m remaining, 5 players...one of those can't be a 4M winger.
Simply can't take on salary by cheap out (Puljujarvi) and expensive in (Kreider/Hoffman).

You're using 75M as your limit it seems, which is fair. May as well be conservative until we know for sure. But most reports are suggesting the cap will go up to 80M, and there is no reason to think it won't with how much money Vegas has pulled in this year. I was basing my numbers off of an 80 M limit, so that would be 20 M for 6 spots, with one of those for Nurse. I hate to say it, but we probably have Klefbom going out too. As per Pulujarvi, I don't think we should be letting him go either because he is cheap, but if there is a way to get Kreider without giving up Pulujarvi, you need to consider it.

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie (19.3M)
Krieder (4.625) - Drai (8.5) - Pulujarvi (.925) - (14.05M)
Lucic (6) - Strome (2.8) - Aberg (.650) - (9.45)
Cagguila (1.0) - Khaira (.675) - Kassian (1.95) - (3.625M)

46.425M

Nurse (4.5) - Larsson (4.167) - 8.667
Sekera (5.5) - New Guy (5) - 10.5
Russell (4) - Benning (1) - 5

Talbot (4.2)
Backup (1.5)

That leaves us at just over 76 M cap hit - now you'll notice that I don't have Klefbom (I hate it, but I think he's moved), so in this scenario Klefbom and our 1st would have been sent out (directly or indirectly) for Kreider and the "New Guy" I have on Sekera's defense pairing. If the cap goes to 80M, then we're sitting okay as long as our 13th forward and 7th defenseman are cheap.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No, we don't.

Nurse only gets 4 on a long term deal. If he is bridged it is 3. Those five players are all minimum salary save for Strome. Everyone has done the math and the Oilers are going to have around 8-9 mil to upgrade three 4th line/minimum wager positions.

I don't know where you got your math from.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You're using 75M as your limit it seems, which is fair. May as well be conservative until we know for sure. But most reports are suggesting the cap will go up to 80M, and there is no reason to think it won't with how much money Vegas has pulled in this year. I was basing my numbers off of an 80 M limit, so that would be 20 M for 6 spots, with one of those for Nurse. I hate to say it, but we probably have Klefbom going out too. As per Pulujarvi, I don't think we should be letting him go either because he is cheap, but if there is a way to get Kreider without giving up Pulujarvi, you need to consider it.

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie (19.3M)
Krieder (4.625) - Drai (8.5) - Pulujarvi (.925) - (14.05M)
Lucic (6) - Strome (2.8) - Aberg (.650) - (9.45)
Cagguila (1.0) - Khaira (.675) - Kassian (1.95) - (3.625M)

46.425M

Nurse (4.5) - Larsson (4.167) - 8.667
Sekera (5.5) - New Guy (5) - 10.5
Russell (4) - Benning (1) - 5

Talbot (4.2)
Backup (1.5)

That leaves us at just over 76 M cap hit - now you'll notice that I don't have Klefbom (I hate it, but I think he's moved), so in this scenario Klefbom and our 1st would have been sent out (directly or indirectly) for Kreider and the "New Guy" I have on Sekera's defense pairing. If the cap goes to 80M, then we're sitting okay as long as our 13th forward and 7th defenseman are cheap.

Your new guy is more expensive than Klefbom. You overpaid Nurse.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Nurse only gets 4 on a long term deal. If he is bridged it is 3. Those five players are all minimum salary save for Strome. Everyone has done the math and the Oilers are going to have around 8-9 mil to upgrade three 4th line/minimum wager positions.

I don't know where you got your math from.

Exactly! That's why you can't bring in a 4M winger. That's my point...those roster spots need to be value, a.k.a. cheap

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00