Speculation: Oscar Klefbom to NYR

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Not sure if Fourth Period is a good source? They mentioned Oilers would entertain offers for Oscar. The Oilers need wingers .

To Oilers .....Zuke and Kreider

To Rangers...Poolparty and Oscar

I believe Kreider is best player out of the 4. We try to develop Poolparty. Oilers use Zuke for the year and make a playoff push and decide if he is worth resigning. Oscar cost controlled potential top 4? Rangers sign JVR to replace Kreider.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I dislike both of these fanbases equally (mostly in good fun), which is why it's hard for me to say this is kinda terrible for Edm if either Klefbom or Puljujaarvi come even close to reaching their potential (with the Oilers, I consider this highly unlikely). Also the Oilers need Wingers? That's fine, I only thought the Oilers needed competent Dmen since, oh forever.

Hall --> Larsson, Klefbom --> Kreider/Zuccarello. That's so Oilers.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There’s no way we can move Klefbom without a better Klefbom coming back.

LHD depth of Nurse, Sekera, and Russell is a great way to ensure we finish under 80 points again.

Klefbom was playing hurt all year. He will be 100% healthy in about a month after having cleanup surgery on his shoulder. In 16-17 he looked like an emerging #1 - we need him, and his fantastic value contract.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

LHD depth of Nurse, Sekera, and Russell is a great way to ensure we finish under 80 points again.

Klefbom was playing hurt all year. He will be 100% healthy in about a month after having cleanup surgery on his shoulder. In 16-17 he looked like an emerging #1 - we need him, and his fantastic value contract.
McDavid and Draisaitl would argue you need him to outperform his value contract or at a minimum play up to it.

Reactions: THall4

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Interesting I thought the Rangers offer was strong

An expensive, older (30), one year away from UFA winger (Oilers do not need this type of player) and another winger (26 yrs old) whom a great many of your fan base define as a low IQ player.

For that you want a young top pairing d-man (last year, not this injured year. Why sell low?) and an 18 yr old kid who has everything in spades except for experience.

No way are the Oilers trading a dman for a winger.

Reactions: pmwlker

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
McDavid and Draisaitl would argue you need him to outperform his value contract or at a minimum play up to it.

And I think he will do exactly that going forward. The Oilers as a whole fell flat on their faces coming out of the gate.

A large part of Klefbom’s struggles were in the first two months of the season.

He was -13 by November 21st - partly his fault, partly the team’s fault, partly Talbot forgetting how to hockey.

He finished the season -12. Meaning he was on the ice for ~23 minutes a night on a bad team from Nov 21 through early April and breaking even at 5 v 5. That’s a player earning his keep, IMO.

Reactions: zar

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ

OK so are the rumors true or not? They want to upgrade the wing and Oscar is available. I am offering up a cost controlled power speed winger in Kreider. Where can the Oilers do better? Offer JVR 7 million per year that they do not have?

Reactions: Conbon

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
OK so are the rumors true or not? They want to upgrade the wing and Oscar is available. I am offering up a cost controlled power speed winger in Kreider. Where can the Oilers do better? Offer JVR 7 million per year that they do not have?

You’re offering up two years of Kreider and a pending UFA to try to buy low on two players that have a ton of potential.

We flat out cannot make our defence any worse. We allowed 260 goals against. Dumping arguably our best defenceman for short term winger help doesn’t make sense.

I’d discuss something around Kreider for Puljujarvi or draft picks, but the likes of Klefbom and Nurse shouldn’t be available.

As for the FourthPeriod, if I remember right the quote was the Oilers were listening to offers. Not actively shopping, not looking to move - just listening. There’s no indication that we wanted to move defence for wingers - that would be sillyz.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure if Fourth Period is a good source? They mentioned Oilers would entertain offers for Oscar. The Oilers need wingers .

I believe Kreider is best player out of the 4. We try to develop Poolparty. Oilers use Zuke for the year and make a playoff push and decide if he is worth resigning. Oscar cost controlled potential top 4? Rangers sign JVR to replace Kreider.

Problem with Zuke is that he is 12 months from UFA and the oilers are adding 9.1mill in cap--while just shedding 4.1--so that is an addition 5mill cap hit while they create a rather large hole on their D

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Fourth period is a poor source. No one around the Oiler organization has stated hey want to trade Oscar. It would actually be stupid of them to do so unless a name like OEL, etc. is coming back.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Problem with Zuke is that he is 12 months from UFA and the oilers are adding 9.1mill in cap--while just shedding 4.1--so that is an addition 5mill cap hit while they create a rather large hole on their D
Rangers have plenty of cap space retain what is necessary. Oilers use there first rd pick (not 1st overall) to obtain OEL. Or how about if they get 1OA and Dahlin then trade Oscar for Kreider?

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
An expensive, older (30), one year away from UFA winger (Oilers do not need this type of player) and another winger (26 yrs old) whom a great many of your fan base define as a low IQ player.

For that you want a young top pairing d-man (last year, not this injured year. Why sell low?) and an 18 yr old kid who has everything in spades except for experience.

No way are the Oilers trading a dman for a winger.

Rangers record with Kreider in the lineup: 27-23-8 .534 win%
Rangers record without Kreider in the lineup: 7-17-1 .320 win%

We'll keep Kreider, thanks.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rangers have plenty of cap space retain what is necessary. Oilers use there first rd pick (not 1st overall) to obtain OEL. Or how about if they get 1OA and Dahlin then trade Oscar for Kreider?

comes down to money--not slighting the ranger players

we are adding 5mill and creating a hole on the D line. Trading for OEL is an option to think about--but like Zuke he 12 months away from UFA.

I know I am the only one who has a problem trading assets for players we have no idea will be on the roster October 1st 2019

So we are trading Pool Party, Klefbom, our first and maybe other assets just to have Kreider in fall 2019--f0r me that is bad asset management

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I could cope with Zucc + some later pick for Klefbom (+some little maybe too)

No way in hell would I want Kreider traded. Same for Zucc, but he kinda is next in line, considering cashing in on vets.

He's part of the team's lifeforce though. I'm actually fine with the assets and such we have amassed.
We can draft a good RHD this year. No need to give up any futures, but Klefbom is nice.

RHD depth: Shatty, ADA, Pionk, Kampfer, Sproul ... that's about it. Very thin.

Reactions: Ori and bernmeister

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The rumors are the Oilers would trade Klefbom for an equal RD D, not a mother forward. Or in larger package for OEL.

And Chiarelli really likes Pul

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Horrible for the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->