Confirmed with Link: Orlov and Hathaway and Andrei Svetlakov to Boston for 2023 first-round pick, 2025 second-round pick, 2024 third-round pick, and forward Craig Smith

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Please explain how you can possibly move Backy, Oshie, or Carlson right now. I’m all ears.
Incentivize. Add picks and retain some $. The coyotes are historically a contract dumping ground.

Please explain how you can possibly move Backy, Oshie, or Carlson right now. I’m all ears.
And you’re missing Kuzy from that list.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I picked a hell of an evening to not be around my phone or computer. B- return. Think they could and should have gotten another pick or piece for taking both Smith and retaining. Regardless, big props to BMac for at least seeing the writing on the wall and acting decisively.

I will miss both of these guys but Boston, woof.

Also, I'm not convinced they keep Smith. They may flip him.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I would like this trade if I had any confidence in Maclellan's drafting. I have little. Which late first rounder of his has panned out yet?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Just dropping in to say please be nice to Smitty. He's not had a good season but you'll never question his effort. Good guy and I'm sad he couldn't stay on the B's.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Wouldn't that require Ovy, Wilson, or Backstrom to be traded? I look at more as a retool with UFAs who seemed to be ready to move on from the Caps.
I don't think that Ovy and Backy will ever get traded. Both will retire here in a few years. So, in my view, we are starting to rebuild from the bottom, so to speak. It's inevitable, but at the same time, the team can't wait to start its rebuild until Ovi's contract ends.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Hi I am not a Capitals fan or Boston fan so I have a question.

Why trade away Orlov and Hathaway when you are fighting for a playoff spot?

Flip the picks for help at the deadline? Rebuild?

Thank you and sorry if it is a stupid question I don't follow either team.

Reactions: Neil Racki

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Too decimated…..hoping for a bounceback next year….

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They aren't fighting for a playoff spot at this point. They're out of it. Their 5 game losing streak sealed the deal. Florida has one game in hand, Pittsburgh and Detroit both have 3. All three of those teams are ahead of the Capitals. Buffalo is only 2 points behind the Caps and has 4 games in hand. Caps aren't making it this year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Caps have the most man games lost to injury this season and the only defenseman they have under contract next season is John Carlson. Half their forwards are free agents too and there are probably 10 teams in the East that are better than them right now.

It’s the best thing for them to sell what they can this year and use those assets to retool over the next year or two.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
They aren't fighting for a playoff spot at this point. They're out of it. Their 5 game losing streak sealed the deal. Florida has one game in hand, Pittsburgh and Detroit both have 3. All three of those teams are ahead of the Capitals. Buffalo is only 2 points behind the Caps and has 4 games in hand. Caps aren't making it this year.
2 points out with a game in hand. I would say they are still in it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
When I first saw this deal pop up on my phone, I was pretty satisfied with the return. Thought it was essential a 2nd for Hatheway and a 1st + 3rd for Orlov. While there was some hope of a bidding war for Hath driving his cost up to a 1st, that was probably a pipe dream.

Then as I settled down to my computer and saw the details, I became less and less enthused. All of the picks are Boston's, so likely late. The 3rd is in 2024 and the second not until 2025. They're eating Craig Smith's contract AND they're retaining 50% on Orlov. All that for giving up two of their best (if not their two very best) likely trade assets? Big fat MEH on this return considering all that. It's not outright bad, but Boston nickled and dimed every bit they could away from the Capitals on this one.

2 points out with a game in hand. I would say they are still in it.
They have a game in hand on Florida, but not on Pittsburgh, Detroit, or Buffalo. They aren't in it.

(Not to mention they're on their way to their sixth straight loss tonight against freaking Anaheim. This team is in freefall right now)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But did they get enough? Orlov undoubtedly became a marquee target on defense as soon as Washington made him available, which, from my understanding, only happened recently. Could they not have shopped around more to see if a better offer presented itself? Instead, they end up surrendering Orlov and Hathaway with zero prospect additions and just the one first-round pick to show for it – a pick that won’t be high. Theoretically, they could flip Smith, but they’d probably have to retain some of his 3.1 million cap hit to do that, and he’d yield a late-round pick at best.

On one hand, the Capitals deserve credit for recognizing their situation and having the guts to begin a transitional period. On the other, the return just doesn’t cut it. Not when you’re giving up two players that will significantly augment a contender’s championship odds.

Grade: C-

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hathaway was ideal warrior to add to your team at deadline. I am not satisfied with him being traded to Boston in a package. that looks like a loss.

orlov... always liked him, but signing him for 6 years and high cap hit looks like mistake, so no complaints for trading him

outside chance to sign him again in the summer

so return is questionable, but uf they sell everybody and take care about oshie, mantha and possibly kuzy later - I'm on board

would keep mojo though, no complaints about his play, and he's versatile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad