Confirmed with Link: Orlov and Hathaway and Andrei Svetlakov to Boston for 2023 first-round pick, 2025 second-round pick, 2024 third-round pick, and forward Craig Smith

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Hathaway was ideal warrior to add to your team at deadline. I am not satisfied with him being traded to Boston in a package. that looks like a loss.

orlov... always liked him, but signing him for 6 years and high cap hit looks like mistake, so no complaints for trading him

outside chance to sign him again in the summer

so return is questionable, but uf they sell everybody and take care about oshie, mantha and possibly kuzy later - I'm on board

would keep mojo though, no complaints about his play, and he's versatile
Might be a long shot expecting Orlov to re-sign in the offseason. He's clearly looking for a 6 year deal to take him to retirement and I am sure there are a few teams around the league who will offer him that.

I just wish he'd landed with a team I like! Hard to root for him when he's playjng in Boston!

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Hi I am not a Capitals fan or Boston fan so I have a question.

Why trade away Orlov and Hathaway when you are fighting for a playoff spot?

Flip the picks for help at the deadline? Rebuild?

Thank you and sorry if it is a stupid question I don't follow either team.
I know others have replied. Being a caps fan since '89 they are not passing the eye test in their team play they have kinda fallen apart.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Both are UFA so it doesn't really matter or cost us anything.
It still means something in terms of trade value, and in terms of real world money. They're asking ownership to pay out the remainder of Smith's contract and 50% of the remainder or Orlov's. Both of those impact real world finances, and how much each player is worth on the trade market.

Plus teams can only retain salary on 3 contracts at once. They can only retain on two more before the deadline. Boston should have to pay for the Capitals to use one of their slots, as it restricts further trades the Capitals want to make this season.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Might be a long shot expecting Orlov to re-sign in the offseason. He's clearly looking for a 6 year deal to take him to retirement and I am sure there are a few teams around the league who will offer him that.

I just wish he'd landed with a team I like! Hard to root for him when he's playjng in Boston!
No chance Orlov is on Boston next season if they keep Pasta. He wants to be the top paid player in the league.

Reactions: PlushMinus

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
So latest reporting from TA says that the Jackets were blindsided by this trade, as they thought they had a deal done with Boston for Gavrikov. Sounds like BMac essentially swooped in and stole their deal. Now they’re not sure they will get the same kind of return with LA, TOR, or EDM possibly in the mix for Gavikrov, and are apparently back to square one.

Further, this year’s 1st, that they were expecting from the trade, was crucial to a deal for Chychrun that they’ve been working on since the summer when Gaudreau signed. They obviously won’t trade their own 1st as they are currently in the Bedard spot after tonight’s Ducks win. So, that’s pretty interesting.

So give BMac credit for getting ahead of the market even if the return was a bit less than hoped. I imagine a team like EDM may have been on Orlov’s 5-team NTC, as guys typically have a lot of Canadian teams on their lists just because of taxes (and maybe the market/weather), with maybe TOR, or MTL as exceptions.

In any event, I do wish Orlov had gone to EDM or TOR, so I could at least root for him. I can’t stomach these Bruins.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Good deal. Return slightly underwhelming but with all being considered i don't mind it.

Bruins are in cap hell after this season so we can have Ovechkin call Orlov back in the summer. Hathaway can come back too as we still have his BFF Nic Dowd.

Free picks galore. If Bergeron retires those future picks may not be as late ones.

This also means that no chance we are standing put now after moving them to Bruins who are our most likely 1st round opponent if we sneak into the Playoffs. Should be an interesting TDL day!

Reactions: Neil Racki

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So latest reporting from TA says that the Jackets were blindsided by this trade, as they thought they had a deal done with Boston for Gavrikov. Sounds like BMac essentially swooped in and stole their deal. Now they’re not sure they will get the same kind of return with LA, TOR, or EDM possibly in the mix for Gavikrov, and are apparently back to square one.

Further, this year’s 1st, that they were expecting from the trade, was crucial to a deal for Chychrun that they’ve been working on since the summer when Gaudreau signed. They obviously won’t trade their own 1st as they are currently in the Bedard spot after tonight’s Ducks win. So, that’s pretty interesting.

So give BMac credit for getting ahead of the market even if the return was a bit less than hoped. I imagine a team like EDM may have been on Orlov’s 5-team NTC, as guys typically have a lot of Canadian teams on their lists just because of taxes (and maybe the market/weather), with maybe TOR, or MTL as exceptions.

In any event, I do wish Orlov had gone to EDM or TOR, so I could at least root for him. I can’t stomach these Bruins.

Well that should interest the people who shrieked for immediate trades and then shrieked that Gmbm didn't wait until the TDL to boost Orlov's value.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Good deal. Return slightly underwhelming but with all being considered i don't mind it.

Bruins are in cap hell after this season so we can have Ovechkin call Orlov back in the summer. Hathaway can come back too as we still have his BFF Nic Dowd.

Free picks galore. If Bergeron retires those future picks may not be as late ones.

This also means that no chance we are standing put now after moving them to Bruins who are our most likely 1st round opponent if we sneak into the Playoffs. Should be an interesting TDL day!

Exactly as any competent GM would do, and exactly as expected. They weren't going to blow it up until right before the TDL. If they'd surged a few weeks ago they could've been buyers. Things are a lot clearer now than they were at the AS break.

Gmbm swooping in on CBus is pretty cut throat. Looks like we won't be trading with them again any time soon.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Exactly as any competent GM would do, and exactly as expected. They weren't going to blow it up until right before the TDL. If they'd surged a few weeks ago they could've been buyers. Things are a lot clearer now than they were at the AS break.

Gmbm swooping in on CBus is pretty cut throat. Looks like we won't be trading with them again any time soon.
I think they'll atleast see if there is a fit there. I personally think there is a good chance that Orlov returns in the summer, unless he has lights out Playoffs and gets 7 years elsewhere.

I'm not sure how mad Blue Jackets are to us. They should be very mad at the Bruins if they had a deal in place with them.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

If someone names your price you take the deal so this doesn't happen or so that guys don't get hurt. It's why the Canucks unloaded Horvat when they did. Columbus has had ample time to trade Gavrikov... he was held out for trade-related reasons on Feb 14. If nine days isn't enough time to cement the deal that's on you and it's likely the result of you being difficult to negotiate with or greedy.

People can have differing opinions on the return but I'd rather get 80% of what I wanted in a return instead of having to settle for cents on the dollar or be left without a dance partner entirely.

Like I said earlier, B- return because I thought taking back Smith and retaining warranted another piece but we also don't know if the deal falls through without retention and without taking Smith back. If they did those things to steal the deal from Columbus then it's a bit more understandable. And maybe they see Smith as a tradable asset which improves the return. Bs fans and media speculated Carolina was interested in him but I doubt Boston would be interested in trading someone to one of their likely biggest obstacles to winning. Washington won't have that dilemma.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think they'll atleast see if there is a fit there. I personally think there is a good chance that Orlov returns in the summer, unless he has lights out Playoffs and gets 7 years elsewhere.

I'm not sure how mad Blue Jackets are to us. They should be very mad at the Bruins if they had a deal in place with them.

I'd be ok with Orlov coming back on a 3-4yr deal at a reasonable or even above market price.

The Beej might be mad at both. Would love to hear details about why their deal fell through. It's possible Gmbm just outbid them, but you'd think BOS would give them a chance to counter. So maybe something else happened.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If someone names your price you take the deal so this doesn't happen or so that guys don't get hurt. It's why the Canucks unloaded Horvat when they did. Columbus has had ample time to trade Gavrikov... he was held out for trade-related reasons on Feb 14. If nine days isn't enough time to cement the deal that's on you and it's like the result of you being difficult to negotiate with or greedy.

People can have differing opinions on the return but I'd rather get 80% of what I wanted in a return instead of having to settle for cents on the dollar or be left without a dance partner entirely.

Like I said earlier, B- return because I thought taking back Smith and retaining warranted another piece but we also don't know if the deal falls through without retention and without taking Smith back. If they did those things to steal the deal from Columbus then it's a bit more understandable. And maybe they see Smith as a tradable asset which improves the return. Bs fans and media speculated Carolina was interested in him but I doubt Boston would be interested in trading someone to one of their likely biggest obstacles to winning. Washington won't have that dilemma.

I'm guessing it's as you said here, and Gmbm provided BOS with some immediate action and relief from lengthy and needy negotiations from CBus who were trying to squeeze the Bruins, believing they were in a position to do so.

Whoops.

And Gmbm was right to strike as swiftly as possible in this situation since it involved other parties. Don't give them a chance to alter the deal against you.

It also sends the message to other GMs that he's willing to deal right away at fair value.

If there are other negotiations that are stalled due to similar types of impasses, Gmbm might be a very busy guy in the next week.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
I'd be ok with Orlov coming back on a 3-4yr deal at a reasonable or even above market price.

The Beej might be mad at both. Would love to hear details about why their deal fell through. It's possible Gmbm just outbid them, but you'd think BOS would give them a chance to counter. So maybe something else happened.
I think it’s as simple as the Caps offer of Orlov AND Hathaway was more attractive,

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think they could have gotten slightly more, but I'll take it. It will look better if they can move Smith for something.

The better question is whether they can move anything else worth something.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

From what i heard the Blue Jackets asking price to take Smith back was too much for the Bruins, who then looked into dumping Smith elsewhere. Then the rumours started that Capitals might be selling so the Bruins slowed things down and eventually worked the whole trade through with the Capitals.

Not sure if that's true but seems like Blue Jackets dug their own hole here.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
The deal is fine. It's a rental for a guy who Boston is getting for one playoff run. Similar to people who freaked out about the Soto deal - the return is commensurate with the time left on the contract.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I...just can't root for Boston. I admire Bergeron but...can't do it. Have to root for TOR/TBL, I guess CAR and whoever emerges in the West.

Reactions: Misery74 and max21

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Forgotten in the debate over whether the trade brought back fair value is the reality that post-injury Orlov currently is playing below his career norms so his value may be depressed. It makes the Bruins payout a little more palatable and those crowing over the Bruins’ heist perhaps a bit premature.

Reactions: Neil Racki and um

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Forgotten in the debate over whether the trade brought back fair value is the reality that post-injury Orlov currently is playing below his career norms so his value may be depressed. It makes the Bruins payout a little more palatable and those crowing over the Bruins’ heist perhaps a bit premature.

Not entirely forgotten, noted here

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB

Rumor is CBJ wouldn't take salary back. Hence the hold up while Bruins were looking to shed salary. Caps provide package and salary shed.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Rumor is CBJ wouldn't take salary back. Hence the hold up while Bruins were looking to shed salary. Caps provide package and salary shed.

That does seem like the kind of thing that would result in a full pivot, especially if Cbus are communicating zero wiggle room on the cap situation.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It'll be interesting to see what CBJ can get for Gavrikov now that there's one less suitor for a LHD. Who's left? LA (supposedly in on Chychrun), EDM, and TOR?

Jarmo wasn't willing to do what needed to be done to make the BOS trade happen, and he paid for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad