Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So what ARE you moving to get the pieces you need, then? Eichel’s not going anywhere. Risto and Mittelstadt aren’t either. Your pick is guaranteed to be 4th. Reinhart’s either worth everything or nothing to you guys, depends on the week .

So what are you giving up to get better? 2nds and B prospects? Zemgus Girgensoms and Nelson? Gotta give to get. Everyone on a 31st place team can’t be ‘pay up or there’s no discussion to be had’.

There's no magic, one offseason fix.

I will hope for roster construction moves that build NHL caliber depth. Going in to this season with all of the following non NHLers have regular roles was insanity (Moulson, Jordan Nolan, Matt Tennyson, Seth Griffith, Nathan Beaulieu, Jacob Josefson). It's simply entirely too much crap.

We should rely on our top young talent, and build depth around it.

Trading ROR, and creating one enormous hole... doesn't help matter.

The only reason to create that hole, is if it fills another one just as huge (#1 D).

If that type of offer isn't on the table... then we draft, build, and get better. Try and find another Ennis/Foligno for Scandella/Pommer. Flip a Girgensons for an equally underperforming D as a reclamation project. Overpay a 2nd tier D, to get him here in UFA. ETC

So yea.... TOP PAIR D, or GTFO

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
You claimed Reinhart can do the same things as ROR can - which is flat out wrong in my opinion.

As for Faulk... It would make me think. But id rather sell one of the younger guys on their potential rather than give up ROR. As said i would only rank Eichel higher in terms of value

ROR >> Reinhart
I think you misunderstood my post. I said if I move O'Reilly I'd want more than Brodin in return because no one else we have in the system can score 60 points a year and bring all the other things that O'Reilly brings to the table. I didn't mention Reinhart at all.
Faulk for ROR is a non-starter based on the term of Faulk's contract.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just the ‘Lost my love of the game’ line. It’s a pretty damning line.
Seems like a pretty natural consequence of being a key player for the 2015-2018 Buffalo Sabres to me. Staal went through a lot of the same stuff in Carolina and I wouldn't question his character.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think Buffalo has the centre depth to trade ROR just yet. They should give him the bulk of the tough match ups to let Eichel and Mittlestadt take on easier match ups.
Totally agree. 1 of the best 2 way centers & a top face-off man ROR is invaluable until Eichel or Mittlestadt surpasses him.
& to those that say he's too expensive @ 7.5 think about the McDavid, Draisatl, Eichel contracts & what Matthews will likely sign for July 1 when eligible.
If I were Botterill I'd be offering Reinhart, the 2nd rounder in 2018 (32nd OA) & other pieces to fill those defensive holes but keep those 3 for center depth. Depending how the lottery balls fall I'd think hard about trading the 1st rounder but there are other good D available should the Oilers once again win the lottery.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wonder if Dunn + Thomas for ROR + Nylander could work as a base

Not for us. Dunn is too valuable to move, as he's now apart of our top 4. Winger prospects don't do anything for us. Either our pieces are either worth too much to us to move for ROR or our pieces just don't have enough value to move the needle for Buffalo.

I don't think we are in a position to move either Dunn or Thomas.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
:flames
ROR
Scandella (@50%)

:sabres
Brodie
Fox
Jankowski

Jankowski is a good center who I feel would be the center behind Eichel. Is a young player and even grew up watching the Sabres. I know that may not mean much, but that could also mean that Jankowski would stay loyal to Buffalo.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Id take that deal. Dont think Buffalo should add anything, even cap retention considering Brodie only has 2 years of control on him and that ROR is the more valuable player anyway- Fox who is an excellent D prospect provides good balance. Of course thats assuming we dont draft Dahlin.

PS: Im working with the assumption Fox would declare clearly to Buffalo that he would actually sign an extension, otherwise this deal is a non-starter for me as his rights expire after next season and its known hes going back to college for 1 more year.

I would have the Flames give Buffalo a 2020 2nd (or whenever we have a 2nd round pick) if Fox doesn't re-sign with them. I'm sure he would though, I think the kid was born in that state.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
ROR
Scandella (@50%)

Brodie
Fox
Jankowski

Jankowski is a good center who I feel would be the center behind Eichel. Is a young player and even grew up watching the Sabres. I know that may not mean much, but that could also mean that Jankowski would stay loyal to Buffalo.

Since you need a window in to how awful this offer is.... here it is in reverse

Hamilton
Backlund (50% retained)

for

Okposo
Nylander
Girgensons

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Since you need a window in to how awful this offer is.... here it is in reverse

Hamilton
Backlund (50% retained)

for

Okposo
Nylander
Girgensons

The players you replaced are not even close. But, thanks for trying.

Hamilton >= ROR in terms of value

Backlund @50% on a contract he just barely signed? You're telling me Backlund @ 2.675m for 6 years is the same as Scandella with @ 2m for 2 years? Yeah, right.

Okposo has a loooooong contract. Brodie is a 2/3 d-man on a sweet contract, he'd easily be your #2 behind Risto.

Nylander and Fox roughly have the same value. I value Fox over Nylander more because of the jump he's made since being drafted. Things can change though.

Girgensons and Jankowski? LOL, revise this one bro. That's not even close and you know it.

Make modifications on what the Flames need to add or change, but you're "comparison" isn't even close.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

Backlund @50% on a contract he just barely signed? You're telling me Backlund @ 2.675m for 6 years is the same as Scandella with @ 2m for 2 years? Yeah, right.

Okposo has a loooooong contract. Brodie is a 2/3 d-man on a sweet contract, he'd easily be your #2 behind Risto.

Nylander and Fox roughly have the same value. I value Fox over Nylander more because of the jump he's made since being drafted. Things can change though.

Girgensons and Jankowski? LOL, revise this one bro. That's not even close and you know it.

Make modifications on what the Flames need to add or change, but you're "comparison" isn't even close.

The point stands. Horrible offer.

Brodie has been underwhelming for a while. He is no better than a good 2nd pair guy at the moment like Scandella.

So essentially ROR for Jankowski and a Fox who may not even sign. Come on man.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You don't actually know the value that ROR brings to a team until you have had him on your team.

Accurate. ROR is Mr. Littlethings. The attention to detail in his game is probably the most impressive thing about him. But those little things are hard to notice unless you watch a player pretty often, and most fans only watch games their team plays in.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Would Pacioretty, Shaw,Alzner (20-25% retained) and a conditional 2nd that turns to 1st if patches doesn't sign, do it for ROR & Brendan Guhle?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

ROR = Hamilton

The rest was too highlight your terrible offer

Ps Brodie=Scandella

Your offer was fox and jankowski for ROR

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would Pacioretty, Shaw,Alzner (20-25% retained) and a conditional 2nd that turns to 1st if patches doesn't sign, do it for ROR & Brendan Guhle?

... why in the world would Buffalo consider that?

If Patches doesn’t re-sign they’ve turned a legitimate 1C and a good young defence prospect into Montreal’s spare junk and a shot-in-the-dark first.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
That's 13 million in cap space ... they don't fit our timeline age wise. Not interested.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
ROR
Scandella (@50%)

Brodie
Fox
Jankowski

That's pretty brutal for the Sabers. You basicly swapped top 4 defenceman and stole O'Reilly lol.

Last edited:

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I wouldn't mind making a lesser deal( that doesn't include O'Reilly) for one of the Flames D prospects.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
That's 13 million in cap space ... they don't fit our timeline age wise. Not interested.
True but it's not that far of a stretch. Pacioretty is a year and a half older, shaw is the same age and alzner is 2 years older. It's also. As far as the cap goes its 3 mil compared to 7.5 mil for an additional 2 players. Let me ask you what you would ask from Montreal for ROR?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think you misunderstood my post. I said if I move O'Reilly I'd want more than Brodin in return because no one else we have in the system can score 60 points a year and bring all the other things that O'Reilly brings to the table. I didn't mention Reinhart at all.
Faulk for ROR is a non-starter based on the term of Faulk's contract.

In that case Apologies - i misread your post. We're on a similar level.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Totally agree. 1 of the best 2 way centers & a top face-off man ROR is invaluable until Eichel or Mittlestadt surpasses him.
& to those that say he's too expensive @ 7.5 think about the McDavid, Draisatl, Eichel contracts & what Matthews will likely sign for July 1 when eligible.
If I were Botterill I'd be offering Reinhart, the 2nd rounder in 2018 (32nd OA) & other pieces to fill those defensive holes but keep those 3 for center depth. Depending how the lottery balls fall I'd think hard about trading the 1st rounder but there are other good D available should the Oilers once again win the lottery.

Maybe not Reinhart unless i absolutely had to but for sure this is the type of package i shop instead of ROR.

And even if the Sabres somehow get Dahlin... This D isn't fixed. I cant put into words how bad its been for so long... I hope for Dahlin plus another Scandella tyoe deal - the odds are long...

Realistically it takes a smart draft pick like Hughes/Boqvist & a good 'hockey' trade. But im still not trading ROR short of something ridiculous.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
True but it's not that far of a stretch. Pacioretty is a year and a half older, shaw is the same age and alzner is 2 years older. It's also. As far as the cap goes its 3 mil compared to 7.5 mil for an additional 2 players. Let me ask you what you would ask from Montreal for ROR?

Pacioretty becomes a UFA when he's almost 31. Even if Buffalo wanted to, with his contract and age, Buffalo easily says no. I can't see any good trade for Buffalo and Montreal involving O'Reilly. Nothing makes Buffalo better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad