Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If I'm the Flames I'm going after O'Reilly hard, I'd give up Brodie+Fox. I know Brodie gets a bad rap after a rough couple of seasons but I really think he needs a change of scenery, his wife has had health issues and Gulutzan has all but neutered him here. Buffalo is much closer to his hometown. I believe he can become that top pairing guy we thought we had a couple years ago, and he's only 27. Elite skater, really good offensive sense (multiple 40+ point seasons), has had a lot of brain farts the past couple seasons but I'll assume that his mind has been elsewhere with all that's going on. He's not in a good place right now.

I'm also not convinced Adam Fox wants to sign in Calgary, there are a couple guys ahead of him in the depth chart (Andersson, Valimaki). So if we get the sense he doesn't want to be here, I'd ship him out. He's also from NY state.

I really think the Flames and Sabres can be good trading partners, we're loaded on defence and need to add to our top 6. Honestly I'd throw in Backlund too but not sure if he has a NTC, and Buffalo would have to add a little bit.

I wouldn't trust that Buffalo could sign Fox, either - that trade would also give him a built-in excuse to go UFA given his lack of familiarity with our organization. With that in mind, pass on the deal, though I do think Calgary is a solid prospective trading partner, just as it would've been for Kane.

ROR would be a fantastic addition to either the Flames or Canes.

Sabres are in another rebuild. A package of prospects, especially DMen might be what the team needs. If willing to execute the trade after July 01st (entire salary less $1M is paid), they can increase his trade value.

Flames Offer - Bennett, Valimaki, Kylington
Canes Offer - Bean, Roy, McKeown, 2018-2nd

Players offered are young and more likely available since they’re on the verge or just starting in the league.

That CGY offer is substantially better than the CAR offer, IMO. But I'm not sure that Botterill would agree with your premise that the Sabres are in another rebuild. Perhaps we should be, but that's not where management's (or ownership's) collective head is at right now.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Very unlikely scenario here but Islanders help Buffalo sign Tavares to an 8 year deal then trade their 12th pick for O'Reilly and a 2nd

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Unfortunately for Sabres fans, statements like ‘many times this season I felt like I lost my love of the game’ doesn’t exactly equate to ‘hot damn that’s a guy I need to overpay for’.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Unfortunately for Sabres fans, statement ya like ‘many times this season I felt like I lost my love of the game’ doesn’t exactly equate to ‘hot damn that’s a guy I need to overpay for’.
Don't see how that reflects all that poorly on O'Reilly, to be honest. Unless someone's trading for him with the expectation of making him captain, which would be ridiculous.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't know what you think Hamilton's value to the Flames is, but the only way he's going to Buffalo is if Eichel is coming back. So I don't think there is a deal to be made there.

I don't know what you think Eichel's value to the Sabres is, but without Hamilton as a starting point, there's nothing to discuss.

(See... the fact that we both feel the same way about these very important players... shows the value in on point)

As for his remaining years on his contract, they're good value at 4.5M, and I'd bet he would re-sign in Buffalo at a nice cheap deal (max 6M if he returns to form and plays top 2 minutes) seeing as he's not the type to demand a trade or go to FA. Plus he'd be playing for Phil Housely, a guy who could help elevate Brodie's game seeing as they're very similar defence men.

No.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Unfortunately for Sabres fans, statements like ‘many times this season I felt like I lost my love of the game’ doesn’t exactly equate to ‘hot damn that’s a guy I need to overpay for’.

Why? If the guy can sleep walk to 60 pts on a terrible team, what could he do motivated?

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Care to elaborate?

You claimed Reinhart can do the same things as ROR can - which is flat out wrong in my opinion.

As for Faulk... It would make me think. But id rather sell one of the younger guys on their potential rather than give up ROR. As said i would only rank Eichel higher in terms of value

ROR >> Reinhart

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Blues are again in need of another top 6 center.

What's the price for ROR? Not saying its a deal breaker but would Buffalo management be willing to eat some salary?

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why? If the guy can sleep walk to 60 pts on a terrible team, what could he do motivated?

When evaluating players, you need to take absolutely everything into account - attitude and mental state as well.

If you didn’t have O’Reilly - say he was a Senator, or a Flame, would you move heaven and earth to get him? Or would you put forward a decent offer, shrug your shoulders, and move on?

That’s what I’m saying. He’s got value and he’s a very good player, but this ‘overpay or GTFO’ nonsense has no basis in reality. As you say he sleepwalked through this season. He has a massive contract. He has motivation issues. His agent is a Grade A pain in the ass. His dad is a piece of work. And he got drunk and crashed into a Timmies. Taking everything into account, if he wasn’t a Sabre and you were in the market for a centre, would you open up the vault for him?

Reactions: Patagonia

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
When evaluating players, you need to take absolutely everything into account - attitude and mental state as well.

If you didn’t have O’Reilly - say he was a Senator, or a Flame, would you move heaven and earth to get him? Or would you put forward a decent offer, shrug your shoulders, and move on?

That’s what I’m saying. He’s got value and he’s a very good player, but this ‘overpay or GTFO’ nonsense has no basis in reality. As you say he sleepwalked through this season. He has a massive contract. He has motivation issues. His agent is a Grade A pain in the ass. His dad is a piece of work. And he got drunk and crashed into a Timmies. Taking everything into account, if he wasn’t a Sabre and you were in the market for a centre, would you open up the vault for him?

He's probably the second best center who's realistically on the market. If I evaluate my hypothetical situation as better than Buffalo's I think he'll perform better for me. Also, I don't need to deal with his agent, he's signed for years.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Are you basing the "motivation issues" on one line from a locker-cleanout interview? Or am I missing something?

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Taking everything in to account, Pay up or GTFO.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The price would be astronomical if they were to eat salary. Even without retention it will more than likely cost one of Parayko or Edmundson plus. It is a price we aren't currently able to pay, not sure that we are willing to give up what it would cost to acquire ROR. Buffalo needs people to contribute now, and mainly help on the backend. We just don't have defensive depth in our pipeline at the moment.

Great player though, would be an upgrade on Stastny and allow us to keep Schenn in more of offensive roles.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Taking everything in to account, Pay up or GTFO.

So what ARE you moving to get the pieces you need, then? Eichel’s not going anywhere. Risto and Mittelstadt aren’t either. Your pick is guaranteed to be 4th. Reinhart’s either worth everything or nothing to you guys, depends on the week .

So what are you giving up to get better? 2nds and B prospects? Zemgus Girgensoms and Nelson? Gotta give to get. Everyone on a 31st place team can’t be ‘pay up or there’s no discussion to be had’.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So what ARE you moving to get the pieces you need, then? Eichel’s not going anywhere. Risto and Mittelstadt aren’t either. Your pick is guaranteed to be 4th. Reinhart’s either worth everything or nothing to you guys, depends on the week .

So what are you giving up to get better? 2nds and B prospects? Zemgus Girgensoms and Nelson? Gotta give to get. Everyone on a 31st place team can’t be ‘pay up or there’s no discussion to be had’.
Yeah, what're they gonna do? Go out and get a top-4 LD for a buyout candidate and a 4th liner? Maybe take a cap dump back to make things work? That's rich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad