OOT Scoreboard 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I just hate Disco and The Bee Gees and that movie reminds me of it.

But if I ever get an opportunity I’ll give it an honest try.

All I can remember is the intro and Travolta walking down the street eating a hot dog. I think I saw that when I was a like a really young child. I don’t know how the hell I can remember that probably 40 years later.

The episode is Archie Sees a Mugging. His character is Ralph Silvestri and it’s one of the funniest All in the Family characters that was a one and done. There’s one part where he says “That 5 letter word that starts with an M” and Edith eventually blurts out “Oh! Mafia!” And he goes “No lady lady lady! You know what the FBI calls organized crime? Organized crime!”. And he brings up The Godfather and how the movie is based on that defunct organization and even they don’t use that word in the movie.

you remember wrong.....

he's eating pizza, not a hot dog.....and swinging a paint can.....

"hiya tony..... two or three?"

"two. two. give me two. that's good"

,,,also stops to puts down a five dollar deposit on a shirt he saw in a window..... all during his shift working at the hardware store

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
you remeber wrong.....

he's eating a pizza, not a hot dog.
40 years ago indeed!

I’m sure there’s been times in my childhood where I thought I remembered eating a hot dog during a particular memory, but it turned out to be pizza and Vice versa. :laugh:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
you remember wrong.....

he's eating pizza, not a hot dog.....and swinging a paint can.....

"hiya tony..... two or three?"

"two. two. give me two. that's good"

,,,also stops to puts down a five dollar deposit on a shirt he saw in a window..... all during his shift working at the hardware store
Was he eating TWO slices, one inside the other? I seem to vaguely remember that, although I never actually saw the movie.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’ve never seen Saturday Night Fever, thank god.

But I’m very familiar with the actor who plays his dad. His name is Val Bisoglio and he just died last year at the age of 95.

He played a very memorable role on one of the funniest episodes of All in the Family, where Archie sees an Italian store owner mugged and tells the papers it was the mafia and a big bullet proof Cadillac.

After Archie says that in the papers, a guy from an Italian anti-defamation group comes to his house to talk to him about using the word mafia and bringing all this heat to Italians and portraying them as gangsters. And it’s the dad from Saturday Night Fever. Archie is convinced he’s an actual mafia member and changes his story because he thinks it’s a mobster that’s there to intimidate him into changing his story, because it’s Archie and we all know Archie isn’t too bright.

He also played another character on All in the Family where he robs the whole family by pulling a gun on them while they’re out eating dinner after Archie wrote a pro-gun editorial.

In both episodes he exits by saying the same exact line. “bye bye everybody!”.
In the 1970, the Italian-American civil rights group was started by a mob boss , Joe Colombo, and his lawyers.

It was the Italian-American Civil Rights League (IACRL), which is still infamous for pressuring makers of The Godfather to not use the words “Mafia” and “Cosa Nostra” in the film (by using the teamsters, who you need to make films). They also protested the Feds a lot for “harassment”.

It gets pretty wild. They had a big Italian Unity Day Rally at Columbus Circle in Manhattan in 1970. A lot of people attended (Wikipedia had attendance at 50k but I’ve seen a bigger number quoted elsewhere), partly because mob connected businesses encouraged people to go by giving them the day off.

By 1971 things were dicier for Joe Colombo and he was shot three times at the 2nd Italian Unity Day Rally at Columbus Circle.

The guy who shot him was a nobody junkie from Harlem who had a doctored press pass. After he shot Colombo, Colombo’s bodyguards shot him dead. Tidy.

That patsy has always weirdly fascinated me. Anyway, the patsy wasn’t the best shooter because Colombo lived, but was paralyzed and died in 1978. (The shooting is thought to have been arranged by Joe Gallo or Carlo Gambino, but it’s not known for sure.)

Now there’s also American Italian Anti-Defamation League, which was started in 1967 to campaign against the Peter Maas book The Valachi Papers in 1968 (which is about a member of the Genovese crime family).

I don’t know anything about that beyond the Wikipedia entry. It doesn’t say who started it. The original Anti-Defamation League successfully sued them over their name and shut them down.

I looked up the episode you’re discussing and that came out in 1975, so the mob one was probably the inspiration. (Not that the 1st one couldn’t have been a mob thing too considering it really only went after Maas’ book.)

Now amusingly, Colombo seemed to have gotten into the pro-Italian American messaging part of IACRL (when he didn’t use the group to launder money). His civil rights persona brought a lot of public attention to himself though and that’s likely one of the things that got him shot.

Godfather story:

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
In the 1970, the Italian-American civil rights group was started by a mob boss , Joe Colombo, and his lawyers.

It was the Italian-American Civil Rights League (IACRL), which is still infamous for pressuring makers of The Godfather to not use the words “Mafia” and “Cosa Nostra” in the film (by using the teamsters, who you need to make films). They also protested the Feds a lot for “harassment”.

It gets pretty wild. They had a big Italian Unity Day Rally at Columbus Circle in Manhattan in 1970. A lot of people attended (Wikipedia had attendance at 50k but I’ve seen a bigger number quoted elsewhere), partly because mob connected businesses encouraged people to go by giving them the day off.

By 1971 things were dicier for Joe Colombo and he was shot three times at the 2nd Italian Unity Day Rally at Columbus Circle.

The guy who shot him was a nobody junkie from Harlem who had a doctored press pass. After he shot Colombo, Colombo’s bodyguards shot him dead. Tidy.

That patsy has always weirdly fascinated me. Anyway, the patsy wasn’t the best shooter because Colombo lived, but was paralyzed and died in 1978. (The shooting is thought to have been arranged by Joe Gallo or Carlo Gambino, but it’s not known for sure.)

Now there’s also American Italian Anti-Defamation League, which was started in 1967 to campaign against the Peter Maas book The Valachi Papers in 1968 (which is about a member of the Genovese crime family).

I don’t know anything about that beyond the Wikipedia entry. It doesn’t say who started it. The original Anti-Defamation League successfully sued them over their name and shut them down.

I looked up the episode you’re discussing and that came out in 1975, so the mob one was probably the inspiration. (Not that the 1st one couldn’t have been a mob thing too considering it really only went after Maas’ book.)

Now amusingly, Colombo seemed to have gotten into the pro-Italian American messaging part of IACRL (when he didn’t use the group to launder money). His civil rights persona brought a lot of public attention to himself though and that’s likely one of the things that got him shot.

Godfather story:

Very interesting read of the NY Times Godfather story. :)

Reactions: Guttersniped

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Not talking would really work for her too

Eh, she's not bad when she's doing the Pierre McGuire between-the-benches thing like she was last night. It's when they put her on play by play that she becomes insufferably annoying.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Eh, she's not bad when she's doing the Pierre McGuire between-the-benches thing like she was last night. It's when they put her on play by play that she becomes insufferably annoying.

She didn't even know how the delay of game penalty works last night lol

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It’s kind of weird how the actress Jean Stapleton outlived the character by probably close to 35 years. The amount of actors and actresses that ever appeared in any role on that show that are still alive are very few, aside from Sally Struthers and Rob Reiner, who were both only in their early 20’s when the series began. Both Jeffersons (did you know Louise was actually 20 years older than George in real life?), the Lorenzo’s, all the regulars. The characters that went on to do Maude. All gone. Ron Glass (who was very young then) had a memorable appearance in an episode playing a helper to a refrigerator repair man. He died several years back. Even Lionel, who was Mike and Gloria’s has been passed for quite some time now. Larry Storch had a very memorable appearance on one episode and he just died at 99 earlier this year. I was hoping he would live to be 100. I hate seeing people like him and Betty White fall so close of 100.

One other actor who’s now outlived his character by at least 45 years and counting is James Cromwell, who played Stretch Cunningham. He was only in his 30’s on the show and we never found out how he died, but we got a very funny episode where Archie shows up to his funeral and reads the eulogy, not knowing Stretch was Jewish until he arrived at the funeral and they gave him a Yamaka to wear.

The series creator Norman Lear is indeed still alive and just turned 100 this year.

about the jeffersons.... lenny kravitz mom roxie roker played helen willis ...al roker is her cousin

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
about the jeffersons.... lenny kravitz mom roxie roker played helen willis ...al roker is her cousin
Funny thing about them is that when the Willis's made their first ever appearance as characters on an episode of All in the Family, Tom and Helen were both played by different people. I can't remember if Jenny on All in the Family was the same Jenny actress on The Jeffersons or not. I know the All in the Family Lionel started out on the Jeffersons, but then left after either the first or second season and another actor played the role for several seasons, before the original actor returned and then slowly the entire character was almost completely out of the series, other than a few non-regular appearances the last couple of seasons. Both actors last name's were Evans. The original Lionel is Mike Evans and back in 2006 at age 57 and the other Lionel is Damon Evans and he's still alive.

The Helen and Tom that appeared on All in the Family were much different looking than the Helen and Tom that would come to be on The Jeffersons. My guess was that they hadn't yet greenlit the series at that point and weren't sure these characters would ever appear in any capacity again. And when they got the go ahead for The Jeffersons series, they cast Roxie and the other guy who would be Jeffersons Tom (forgot his name), but if I'm not mistaken, he was a bit chunkier and I believe a bit lighter haired than the All in the Family Tom.

The episode where the characters debuted on All in the Family was a pretty great one. George didn't know that Jenny had a white dad and Archie runs into him as the engagement party and asks him ''What's a white guy like you doing here?'' and he explains that he's the bride's father. Archie runs over to George and says something like ''Jefferson, you're gonna love this''. Louise apparently already knew, but George did not. When they're introduced, George gives him this terribly confused look and gives him the death stare before blurting out ''YOU'RE WHITE!'' and then Tom calmly says to him in the most obvious tone ''And you're BLACK!''.

Any fan of The Jeffersons that's not a fan of All in the Family needs to at least watch that episode. That episode was also the first appearance of George's mom who I'm almost positive was the same actress.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Funny thing about them is that when the Willis's made their first ever appearance as characters on an episode of All in the Family, Tom and Helen were both played by different people. I can't remember if Jenny on All in the Family was the same Jenny actress on The Jeffersons or not. I know the All in the Family Lionel started out on the Jeffersons, but then left after either the first or second season and another actor played the role for several seasons, before the original actor returned and then slowly the entire character was almost completely out of the series, other than a few non-regular appearances the last couple of seasons. Both actors last name's were Evans. The original Lionel is Mike Evans and back in 2006 at age 57 and the other Lionel is Damon Evans and he's still alive.

The Helen and Tom that appeared on All in the Family were much different looking than the Helen and Tom that would come to be on The Jeffersons. My guess was that they hadn't yet greenlit the series at that point and weren't sure these characters would ever appear in any capacity again. And when they got the go ahead for The Jeffersons series, they cast Roxie and the other guy who would be Jeffersons Tom (forgot his name), but if I'm not mistaken, he was a bit chunkier and I believe a bit lighter haired than the All in the Family Tom.

The episode where the characters debuted on All in the Family was a pretty great one. George didn't know that Jenny had a white dad and Archie runs into him as the engagement party and asks him ''What's a white guy like you doing here?'' and he explains that he's the bride's father. Archie runs over to George and says something like ''Jefferson, you're gonna love this''. Louise apparently already knew, but George did not. When they're introduced, George gives him this terribly confused look and gives him the death stare before blurting out ''YOU'RE WHITE!'' and then Tom calmly says to him in the most obvious tone ''And you're BLACK!''.

Any fan of The Jeffersons that's not a fan of All in the Family needs to at least watch that episode. That episode was also the first appearance of George's mom who I'm almost positive was the same actress.

nice.

another fun story is when they were casting for helen the producer said to her that they didnt think she was the one they wanted to play the part of a black wife with a white husband....she showed him a picture of her real life husband and scored the part

Reactions: Bleedred

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019

Godfather story:

A good amount of this is also in the brilliant show, The Offer about the making of the Godfather.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Watching Bruins - Caps on TNT and now they have the power play time in a red circle on the ice. It's not as bad as the ads on the boards, I think I am undecided if I like it or not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm pretty sick of both Boston and Washington.

Both teams are just kind of there anymore..... And that's about it.

I would be sexually aroused if either team (or both) misses the playoffs this year. Particularly Washington, as they're extremely USELESS in the playoffs, outside of that lone cup win. They ain't won a round since and that'll be 5 years this Spring.

Still rooting for Ovechkin to get the goals record, but that's all. I really don't have any use for this team in 2022-2023. They're almost a waste of a playoff spot, since you know they're damn near close to an auto first round exit.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2022 playoff Kuemper in the house.

Worst case scenario, I've already got a better softy of the night than the first two nights and night three, where there was none.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And I just want to say streaming services sucks ass when you want to switch between games on different services...this shit isn't progress, it's going backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad