Ontario Reign 2017/2018

member 88115

Any word on Austin Wagner condition? He got knocked out last night in a fight with Oleksy.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Any word on Austin Wagner condition? He got knocked out last night in a fight with Oleksy.

I understand that he just has a broken nose and he'll play today. I hope getting his lights punched out against a solid vet like Olesky will teach him a lesson. I don't want to take Wagner's physical play away, but he is constantly getting into scraps, like he has to fight his way into the NHL. I got news for you Wags, when you skate as fast as Connor MacDavid, that's not the route to go. Just saying.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Well, I'll try and throw out some positive news this morning. Jaret Anderson-Dolan. Color me impressed. Hard to believe he is only 18. Yes, he is not a big kid, looks like about 5-11 or so. But he can play. For a kid in his first pro game that matters, he looked like he's played for a couple years already at this level. Spacing, IQ, speed, skating, grit, passing skill, defensively responsible, plays without hesitation or fear, even physical. Really caught me off guard. Very noticeable. Played some shielded minutes late in the game, but not unusual for Stothers when we were in the process of a playoff clinching game. Compared to say Eyssimont in his first two games, Anderson-Dolan was better. Noticeably better. Especially in the speed and pace of the way Anderson-Dolan plays. It's high level. In fact, Eyssimont was scratched last night.

Maybe even a bigger surprise to me was Steven Johnson. This was his first pro game. 4th round pick in 2014, Kings have until August 15th to sign him if they are interested. I think he is 6-0 or 6-1 and he's 23 I believe, needs to put on some weight, but he handled himself very well. His positioning all night was exceptional. Just a solid, quiet game. Looked better to me with fundamentals defensively than many of our D that have played here for some time. I didn't have very high expectations since he'd been here a few weeks but never drew into a game. Pleasantly surprised to report, albeit only one game, he looked pretty darn good. Let's hope we see more of him.

I try and keep expectations in check, and we'll need to see a lot more of these two guys, but acquitted themselves very well in their debut in a pivotal game where the Reign are fighting for home ice against their biggest rivals by far in the AHL.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Well, I'll try and throw out some positive news this morning. Jaret Anderson-Dolan. Color me impressed. Hard to believe he is only 18. Yes, he is not a big kid, looks like about 5-11 or so. But he can play. For a kid in his first pro game that matters, he looked like he's played for a couple years already at this level. Spacing, IQ, speed, skating, grit, passing skill, defensively responsible, plays without hesitation or fear, even physical. Really caught me off guard. Very noticeable. Played some shielded minutes late in the game, but not unusual for Stothers when we were in the process of a playoff clinching game. Compared to say Eyssimont in his first two games, Anderson-Dolan was better. Noticeably better. Especially in the speed and pace of the way Anderson-Dolan plays. It's high level. In fact, Eyssimont was scratched last night.
If JAD was in this year's draft, how high up did his stock rise from last year? I saw somewhere someone said he'd go top-10 this year. Does that seem too generous?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
upload_2018-4-7_11-3-9.jpeg

Wagner after getting his lights punched out last night. Says he's fine.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If JAD was in this year's draft, how high up did his stock rise from last year? I saw somewhere someone said he'd go top-10 this year. Does that seem too generous?

I don't know enough about the current crop of players in the upcoming draft, but you'd have to think based upon the numbers he put up this year he would certainly be in the top 20. Almost like we got two first rounders last year. And both of them very young at the draft.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
JADs final rank was in the 20s by a lot of scouts last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him shoot up there to top 10 this year. Agreed that he's basically a 2nd 1st-rounder from 2017, especially given age and development trajectory.

Reactions: KingTrouty

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Any chance Justin auger is ever a bottom 6 guy on the kings? He has serious size.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
In my opinion after watching him in every home game for the last 3 years. Nope.

Concur. Haven't watched him as much as you but notable inconsistency. Too many peaks and valleys in ability, results, physicality, engagement. When he's on, could be an NHL bottom sixer; when he's off, makes you wonder why anyone spent a pick.

Reactions: HansH

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Concur. Haven't watched him as much as you but notable inconsistency. Too many peaks and valleys in ability, results, physicality, engagement. When he's on, could be an NHL bottom sixer; when he's off, makes you wonder why anyone spent a pick.
Further concur with both observations. I like the kid, but he just has way too many stretches when he doesn't play to his size - a shame, really.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Despite San Diego's loss last night, the Reign's magic number for home ice in the first round is still three points -- because I forgot to account for the Texas Stars, who have moved past the Gulls in the standings. A single point would clinch no worse than third for the Reign. Last night's action removed the division title from the Reign's possible outcomes - Tucson has now locked that down.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
HUGE games today in the pacific division on the last day of the season.

Tucson
has clinched first place
Texas locks into second place/Ontario locks into third place on Saturday with:
(a) a Texas win vs. San Antonio, OR
(b) an Ontario regulation loss at Bakersfield, OR
(c) a Texas OTL/SOL vs. San Antonio AND an Ontario OTL/SOL at Bakersfield
Ontario locks into second place/Texas locks into third place on Saturday with:
(a) a win at Bakersfield AND a Texas loss (reg/OT/SO) vs. San Antonio, OR
(b) an OTL/SOL at Bakersfield AND a Texas regulation loss vs. San Antonio
San Diego clinches a playoff berth (fourth place) on Saturday with:
(a) a point at Tucson
San Jose clinches a playoff berth (fourth place) on Saturday with:
(a) a win at Stockton AND a San Diego regulation loss at Tucson
Stockton clinches a playoff berth (fourth place) on Saturday with:
(a) a win vs. San Jose AND a San Diego regulation loss at Tucson

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Reign lose home ice, playing very poorly down stretch. Meanwhile, the Gulls completely collapse and miss the playoffs altogether. Somehow, San Jose, who was in last place not long ago, sneaks into the 8th seed. The Reign have been mailing it in the last couple of weeks. They will not last long unless they turn it around quickly. They open in Texas at the end of the week.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Reign lose home ice, playing very poorly down stretch. Meanwhile, the Gulls completely collapse and miss the playoffs altogether. Somehow, San Jose, who was in last place not long ago, sneaks into the 8th seed. The Reign have been mailing it in the last couple of weeks. They will not last long unless they turn it around quickly. They open in Texas at the end of the week.

Seems like a case of like father, like son.

I wonder how much of the slumping has to do with the guys the Kings have called up that Ontario is missing.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's what I like most about Peterson, he's a great technical goaltender with Quick-style improvisation. Sometimes, like above, he'll make you go "why the hell is that your go-to move in that situation?" Like, terrible save selection if you're traditional, but man does he make it work and man is he entertaining.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's what I like most about Peterson, he's a great technical goaltender with Quick-style improvisation. Sometimes, like above, he'll make you go "why the hell is that your go-to move in that situation?" Like, terrible save selection if you're traditional, but man does he make it work and man is he entertaining.

He reminds me a lot of Martin Jones in that sense. I expect him to be backing up Quick pretty soon. Can’t see how he can’t beat Campbell for that role next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad