Ontario Reign 2017/2018

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I just dont know how. There are so many defensemen in the org. Some guys are going to have to be let go one way or another.

Very true. Right now though, of the current group in ONT, I don't see anyone who looks like they could play in the NHL unless you count Fantenberg or MacDermid who are both borderline at best. With Gravel and Folin as UFA's, and Fantenberg, MacDermid, Subban and Lintuniemi as RFA's. I wouldn't be shocked if some of these guys weren't returning, so that thins the herd plus you have the issue were some could potentially grabbed off of waivers. You have a whole bunch of new guys coming in next year with Reddekopp, Clague, Moverare and Strand all fighting for spots. Roy, Falkovsky and Sharpie (KHL) are under contract for next season. Jacob Friend also possibly in the equation. I'll likely get a look at Johnson this weekend.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
going to the game today up here in san jose. Good seats too, right next to the penalty box.

I hope we play better today than last night. Bad loss at home to the Condors. Our defense was pretty weak. Petersen made numerous great saves, and it seemed like that had close to a half dozen two on ones against us. I met Steven Johnson, the new kid (street clothes, he was scratched). He seemed pretty thin to me, like about 180 pounds, maybe my guess is off, but you have to wonder if he has the strength to handle the men in the AHL. Wonder if he gets in the line up today?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Very true. Right now though, of the current group in ONT, I don't see anyone who looks like they could play in the NHL unless you count Fantenberg or MacDermid who are both borderline at best. With Gravel and Folin as UFA's, and Fantenberg, MacDermid, Subban and Lintuniemi as RFA's. I wouldn't be shocked if some of these guys weren't returning, so that thins the herd plus you have the issue were some could potentially grabbed off of waivers. You have a whole bunch of new guys coming in next year with Reddekopp, Clague, Moverare and Strand all fighting for spots. Roy, Falkovsky and Sharpie (KHL) are under contract for next season. Jacob Friend also possibly in the equation. I'll likely get a look at Johnson this weekend.

If Folin isn't back next year, I fully expect the Kings to find a veteran replacement. Gravel will probably want to go somewhere he can have more of an opportunity. I think they will make offers to all the RFA's, but Fant may request to go elsewhere. I'm guessing maybe two or three spots might be opened? There's still a boatload of guys on the D side.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Reign were off for a week, and really didn't play well Friday night, losing 4-1 at home to the Oilers farm team. What do they do? Get on a bus after the night game, travel 6 1/2 hours to San Jose, and then whip the little Sharkies 7-3 the following night. Kudos to the boys battling in this playoff race. Right now the Reign are in 3rd place in the division. Top four go to the playoffs. If the playoffs started today we would be playing the Gulls (again). Petersen played in back to back games after the long bus ride. Steven Johnson was scratched again.

Congrats to Kyle Bauman on his first pro goal last night in his 3rd game. Every other skater on the roster has a goal this season with the exception of MacDermid (24 games) and Imama (35 games).

Talk about a tale of two seasons. Philippe Maillet is an offensively minded player. He's quick and shifty, pretty fast, decent puck handler, underrated shot. Okay passing vision. The first half of the season he played on lower lines since the centers were Amadio, Hensick and Sutter for the most part, although Sutter often plays wing. Maillet struggled with only 3 G and 2 A in 31 games. Since moving up in the line up due to Amadio's departure, he often centers the first line. In 25 games since, he has 14 G and 10 A, including a 5 point gem last night. Not bad. Not bad at all. He asked Futa for one of those NHL contracts. He's a long shot due to his age and size, but he showing he's got game. Maillet and Hensick picking up their games in the second half have given the Reign a huge lift.

Let's hope the Kings can show the same gumption in these remaining contests to get into the dance.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yeah the Reign kicked the Cuda's ass last night. I was really impressed with Wagner's speed (obviously), but I was honestly most impressed by Maillet and just gave them fits all night long and they had no answer to compete level. Thought MacDermid and Mersch played a good game as well.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Next Friday and Saturday will be key in determining playoff positioning - it's a home and home between the Reign and Gulls (Friday in Ontario, Saturday in San Diego), who are tied for 2nd at this instant, and would face each other again in the first round. The Reign have the ROW tiebreaker at the moment, so would have home ice in the best-of-five first round, were the playoffs to begin right now.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I see that the AHL announced their all-rookie team. I don’t understand how Cal Petersen didn’t get recognized. Ville Husso of San Antonio got the nod.

Here’s a side by side comparison:
Petersen Husso​
Record. 22-11-1 15-13-5
GAA. 2.32 2.32
SV %. .894 .926
SO. 4 4

Same GAA and SO, I guess they put more emphasis on SV%. But Husso is barely above .500, while Cal is winning at at close to a .666 pace.
#EastCoastBias

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Petersen is sporting a .918 SV%.
Husso is a .926.

Both have the exact same GAA. Not sure what site you used to pull those numbers.
Went to Ontario site, but saw 894, but that’s the number of saves. You are correct with .918 - which makes their choice even more baffling.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I see that the AHL announced their all-rookie team. I don’t understand how Cal Petersen didn’t get recognized. Ville Husso of San Antonio got the nod.

Here’s a side by side comparison:
Petersen Husso​
Record. 22-11-1 15-13-5
GAA. 2.32 2.32
SV %. .894 .926
SO. 4 4

Same GAA and SO, I guess they put more emphasis on SV%. But Husso is barely above .500, while Cal is winning at at close to a .666 pace.
#EastCoastBias
Stats police here, .894 ?

Understandable choice though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad