Ontario Reign 2017/2018

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Petersen was killing.

Even MacDermid couldnt believe it, watch him shake his head around 1:46

Petersen was really on last night when it counted. Brilliant game by him. Stars have a lot of offensive weapons, and Morin, and career AHLer, is a terrific creative passer. I think Dermy was really just mad at himself, he just pretty angry when he feels he doesn't do his job properly, that's something he does when he kinda screws up. Definitely wears his emotions on his sleeves. Regardless, it was a critical victory, and if we hold serve at home, we're onto the division finals, almost assuredly against the best team in the division all year, the Roadrunners. Still a lot of work to do.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Reign lost 5-4 in double Overtime. Amadio had a 4 point night. With Vilardi and the Fronts likely to be eliminated soon, I'm hoping the Reign make it at least past the 1st round so we could possibly see him in some games.

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
Amadio had a 4 point night.

The scoresheet says 3 points. Amadio was on the ice so much tonight, and for all four scores. Playing PK for the first time that I can remember, and had a good chance for a shortie. On the power play, lots of faceoffs won. Still needs a little more strength, but he's getting there. Great night for him, sorry for the team loss; so many shots, lots of close ones.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Dominate AHL, come to NHL, learn some more, dominate AHL even harder. Amadio's trajectory has been slow but steady at every level until he turns into a dominant player. Not sure he'll be that guy in the NHL but having another good all-situation 3C doesn't hurt, especially a sponge with work ethic like Mike.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
He was a monster yesterday ,seems like he was sent in for every big face off and did pretty well. Him and brods play well together,hell during those few games in that run they made AA a scorer lol, those two should stick next year esp.amadio quickly becoming my favorite non core king. what a game double OT with like 66 shots for the reign and at times dominating play only to lose to a guy who didn't seem to be on the ice much and had fresh legs, the wife and I were dead tired just cheering amazing how well they played so late in second OT ,very good hockey at this level ,come to a game sometime and see

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
He was a monster yesterday ,seems like he was sent in for every big face off and did pretty well. Him and brods play well together,hell during those few games in that run they made AA a scorer lol, those two should stick next year esp.amadio quickly becoming my favorite non core king. what a game double OT with like 66 shots for the reign and at times dominating play only to lose to a guy who didn't seem to be on the ice much and had fresh legs, the wife and I were dead tired just cheering amazing how well they played so late in second OT ,very good hockey at this level ,come to a game sometime and see

It was amazing anyone had any legs left. Bauman and Herr never touched the ice in either OT, and if it wasn't for Bauman being late on the coverage on the trying goal, well..........

Reactions: yankeeking

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign averaged 4 goals a game in this series until tonight as they couldn't solve 35 year old goaltender Mike McKenna, who saved something like 90 straight shots (guessing) from the time in came in to game 3 in relief until the completion of game 4. The Reign fell in regulation tonight, 1-0. A great save glove save by McKenna late in the game denied Brodzinski from the slot.
Since we averaged 4 goals a game before tonight in the series, I'd like to blame the fact that Stevens and Turgeon were in attendance, but I kid. Stars did a good job in this series pressuring us on the PP, not allowing the team to get set up. Not sure if the only goal was shot on the rebound or went off a skate on the 2 on 1 rush, but it's gonna be a long summer for MacDermid with the turnover. I'm sure no one feels worse than him. Mistakes happen. Disappointing. I thought we'd beat this team even though they finished just above us in the standings. Some rookie mistakes in the series were costly, but that's how you learn. Have to wonder what Moulson's future is right now, and if I just saw him play his last professional game.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Have to wonder what Moulson's future is right now, and if I just saw him play his last professional game.

He still has a year left at $3m. Had a solid season in the AHL. If I'm him, I'm forcing Buffalo to send me to the AHL again, wherever it would be, because he's never going to see that kind of money again.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings should try Moulson with Kopitar at this point lol. 3 million won’t get them a good UFA and no one on the current Kings team can seem to play with him.

Actually, never mind, I looked up his stats. Has not scored 20 goals since 2011-12.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Too bad, was fun to keep up with their playoff run. Not too torn up about it though. I remember being very excited for a bunch of our prospects when the Monarchs won the Calder Cup but hardly any of them have exceeded a depth role at a higher level. Which is fine but depth players are a dime a dozen.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Fair chance he is bought out over the summer.

That's true. If I'm reading it right, it doesn't look like it would do a whole lot for them whether they buy him out of send him down, outside of opening up a spot on the roster limit, but that could be enough of a reason.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
That's true. If I'm reading it right, it doesn't look like it would do a whole lot for them whether they buy him out of send him down, outside of opening up a spot on the roster limit, but that could be enough of a reason.

You are right. I just took a look and it really doesn't help them to buy him out.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
This is my first in a series of off-season player reviews of LA Kings prospects that played for the Ontario Reign this season. I intend to do write ups for the entire roster (Kings prospects only) in the off-season. I hope this helps to keep everyone up to date on our players in the AHL system. I'll only write about players I have personally seen play.

Player:
Bokondji (Boko) Imama
Position: LW
Shoots: L
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 22
Size: 6-1 217
Draft position: 6th round 2015
How obtained: Trade from Tampa Bay in exchange for the Kings 7th round draft pick in 2018
Years pro: 1 (rookie)
Prior season Team: Saint John’s Sea Dogs (QMJHL) GP: 66 G: 41 A: 14 PIM: 105 +/- : +11
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 38 G: 0 A: 1 PIM: 59 +/-: -7
Signed through: 2019-2020 season

Review: Billed as a low risk, high reward player, the LA Kings acquired Boko Imama from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for a 7th round pick on June 1st, 2017 after the Lightning failed to come to terms with Imama on a contract. Imama blossomed as a goal scorer in his over age year in juniors, scoring 41 goals for St. John’s in the 2016-2017 campaign as a 20-year-old. However, if there was ever a case for using caution evaluating a player that didn’t produce offensively until he was 20 years old in juniors, Imama may be an excellent case study. Imama was given a chance in camp and preseason to earn on spot on the scoring lines with Ontario, and even opened the season playing with the upper echelon of offensive minded players, however that experiment quickly fizzled due to poor overall play in puck handling, decision making and defensive lapses, part of the everything went wrong 0-6 start to the Reign season. Imama reminded me of an 18-19-year-old Dustin Brown in the NHL, running himself out of position to hit everything in sight, but without Brown’s skill set. His physical play was appreciated by the fans but wasn’t necessarily the most effective way to play hockey at the professional level. Imama acquitted himself well in several scraps as a middleweight on the ice, and wouldn’t hesitate against bigger men, quickly becoming a fan favorite in Ontario. But as the excitement of a tough physical player blessed with good speed began to wear off, Imama more often than not found himself a healthy scratch in the 2nd half of the season. Imama has a hard shot, but rarely had the puck in position to use it, and when he did, more often than not, he was at least 15-20 or more from the net.

Outlook: Most rookie AHL players show signs of improvement during the 2nd half of the season if the potential is there to eventually play at the next level. While there were some small hints of improved positioning defensively and to receive a pass on the breakout, and less running around making late hits and taking boarding penalties, Imama will need to make significant strides in his overall game next season to not be labeled as a career 4th line minor leaguer.

Chance for success at the next level: It's hard to see a scenario that Imama makes it to the NHL without significant improvement in his fundamentals and hockey IQ. His NHL ceiling is likely a 4th line LW who can play with a physical edge.

I am a 3-year season ticket holder with the Ontario Reign. I have attended over 90% of the home games the last 3 years, and have been an avid LA Kings fan since the mid 1970’s. This past season I also watched a majority of the Reign away games on AHL live. I tend to watch the games as an evaluator, looking for the details that can take a player to the next level. I believe I have learned a lot these past 3 years in evaluating how player's AHL games have translated to the NHL level. That being said, I don’t have any claim to being an expert at reviewing talent any more than other hockey fan or contributor to hockey discussions. As always, appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Matt Roy
Position: RHD
Shoots: R
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 23
Size: 6-01 201
Draft position: 7th round 2015
How obtained: Kings draft pick
Years pro: 1 (rookie)
Prior season Team: Michigan Tech (NCAA) GP: 42 G: 5 A: 21 PIM: 74 +/- : +6
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 49 G: 4 A: 13 PIM: 23 +/-: +10
Signed through: 2018-2019 season

Review: The Kings coaxed Matt Roy out of college following his junior year at Michigan Tech after falling to the University of Denver in the regional semi-finals, and he jumped right into the action at Ontario at the end of the 2016-2017 season with a cup of coffee playing 10 games, including 2 Calder Cup playoff games. You could immediately see there were some things to like about his game, a sort of steady calmness even with the adjustment to the new faster pace at the pro level. Not flashy, but a quiet player, the kind of player easy for a coach to work into the system, who plays with an unassuming physical edge. Roy is built similar to Dustin Brown in stature, not a big man per say but with the ability to hit hard when the opportunity presents itself. He will drop the gloves if necessary, but it's not a strong suite. In his first full season, there were some ups and downs as is common with professional rookies, but you could see the confidence in his game build particularly since around the Christmas break. Some early season struggles in consistency paralleled the problems that plagued the entire team out of the gate. It's unknown if he was nursing an injury early on, but he missed about a month worth of games from around Thanksgiving to Christmas due to an undisclosed injury. Roy became a more complete player in second half, more dependable and confident in his outlet pass and coverage, and started to show some of that offensive upside he displayed in college. Roy's game particularly flourished after he was paired with Oscar Fantenberg late in the season, and they developed into a solid 2nd unit pairing. Roy's progress in his rookie season revealed this player could surprise if his development continues to impress.

Outlook: There is no doubt it's a tall ladder to climb from a 7th round draft pick as a college player at 23 years to old to make it to the NHL. It is certainly to his advantage the he is a right hand shot defensemen with some as yet untapped potential on the offensive side of the blue line. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roy get some good opportunities to play on the PP next year in ONT from the right side, as late in the season as he tallied 7 points in his last 9 games. He is above average at getting the puck on the net through traffic. A strong Calder Cup playoff series finished the year for him with 1 goal and 1 assist and a +3 rating in 4 games played. Roy has the potential late next year to be in contention for a call up or cup of coffee with the big club as the Blake rotation of young players continues.

Chance for success at the next level: If Roy pans out and makes it to the next level, a 5-6th D pairing or extra D man would likely be his role in the NHL. Next season will be an important year for the 23 year old.

I am a 3-year season ticket holder with the Ontario Reign. I have attended over 90% of the home games the last 3 years, and have been an avid LA Kings fan since the mid 1970’s. This past season I also watched a majority of the Reign away games on AHL live. I tend to watch the games as an evaluator, looking for the details that can take a player to the next level. I believe I have learned a lot these past 3 years in evaluating how player's AHL games have translated to the NHL level. That being said, I don’t have any claim to being an expert at reviewing talent any more than other hockey fan or contributor to hockey discussions. As always, appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hey regulate, thank you so much for these write-ups. Would you feel comfortable providing some style comparisons of how these guys play (not an upside of "this guy could be the next Drew Doughty" but more like "he plays his best when he's physically engaged and can pinch on the attack like Jake Muzzin.")

If it's something you're not comfortable with, I get it. And I get wary of making comparisons sometimes since people misunderstand the intent. It might just help paint an overall picture.

Other possible points of discussion is what sort of role they will play going forward. For example, I understand Imama having a low chance for success in the NHL, but it may be outweighed by him more likely playing a 4th line role. Matt Roy may have a moderate chance as a bottom pairing defender.

Your write-ups are very thoughtful and great as is, so please don't misunderstand. These are just suggestions which may provoke more discussion. Either way, thank you for your thoughtfulness and summaries. I look forward to reading them all!

Reactions: KingTrouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad