Ontario Reign 2017/2018

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Everytime when I watch those highlights I notice Lintuniemi in a positive way.

Pretty mobile for a big defender.

@ regulate, is it absolute out of the question this guy will ever get a call up?

He's a pretty frustrating player, because at times he look like he has the tools, then he reverts back to bad habits in his decision making, clearing passes, coverage etc. He is very inconsistent. I thought he played well last night. I wouldn't say it will never happen if the Kings stay patient with him (4 to 5 year project), but if I had to answer that question today it's no. If he can become a consistent pro and play smarter the next couple years (assuming he gets a new deal at the end of the season, likely since he is still only 22), it's possible he gets a look down the line.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Auger will never make the NHL. He doesn't play to his size. Yes, he scored two goals tonight, but the rest of his play will permanently keep his ceiling at the AHL level.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Big win for the Reign tonight to go from 5th to 3rd place and back into a playoff spot. Cal Petersen has not lost a game in regulation since Jan 17th.

Who besides Peterson has looked good of late? I know many things don't show up on the score sheet and I haven't been able to catch them live. Curious who is playing well and who isn't? Thanks

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Who besides Peterson has looked good of late? I know many things don't show up on the score sheet and I haven't been able to catch them live. Curious who is playing well and who isn't? Thanks

By far the hottest player the last month has been Phillipe Maillet. He has taken over the #1 center spot for Amadio, and just like that has 14 goals after struggling the first half of the season. He is 24 years old, undersized but plays a fast and dynamic game, decent offensive skill set. Only an AHL contract though. I wouldn't be shocked if he got a PTO to tryout for the Kings in camp next year, although he would be a real long shot, but it could earn him a 2 way deal since the Kings forward depth in the minors is incredibly thin. No Kings prospect really is standing out with immediate NHL potential. Even Fantenberg has been marginal at best down here, and it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to go back home next year and play.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
ONT_Template_WebRotator-25e985d129.jpg

Reign Sign Forward Kyle Bauman to SPC

Mar 7, 2018
ONTARIO, CA – The Ontario Reign announced today that they have signed forward Kyle Bauman to a standard player contract. Bauman will wear jersey number 41 for the Reign.
The 24-year-old Bauman (born April 14, 1993) is a 5-10, 172-pound native of Apopka, FL just completed his senior season at Bemidji State University where he skated in 38 games totaling 21 assists and 30 points (9-21-30). Bauman skated in at least 30 games in each of his four seasons at BSU and was named captain of the Beavers for the 2017-18 season, his senior year. In total, Bauman skated in 148 games scoring 37 goals and 52 assists (37-52-89).

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
GettyImages-800532100.jpg

Where can Gabe Vilardi play when his OHL season is done?

Jon RosenMarch 5, 2018323 Comments
Ontario ReignProspects and Scouting
A once-and-for-all update on where Gabriel Vilardi can play once his season with OHL-Kingston is finished:
Even though Vilardi has been signed to an entry-level contract, he would still be eligible to sign an ATO (amateur tryout agreement) to play for the Ontario Reign once his OHL season is concluded without burning a year off his contract. He is not eligible to play for Los Angeles at the conclusion of his season because the ELC he signed begins next season, via hockey ops.
This is very possibly a moot point, because the Frontenacs made several high-profile moves to bring in star players at the OHL’s trade deadline and are locked into a high seed in the OHL playoffs. Barring anything unforeseen, they’re likely to finish with the third seed in the Eastern Conference, and could move up to the second seed, so they’re looking at a potentially long playoff run that could theoretically outlast the AHL’s Pacific Division and Western Conference playoff picture. Currently, the Reign are in a playoff position by .001 percentage points over the fifth place Texas Stars, but only .001 percentage points behind the third place Stockton Heat, with the top four teams in the division making the playoffs. (In the AHL’s Pacific Division, playoff qualification and seeding is based on points percentage, due to the unbalanced number of games played between the California and Texas teams.) The OHL’s regular season ends Sunday, March 18, with playoffs opening the following week, while the AHL’s regular season ends Sunday, April 15, with playoffs opening the following week.
As a reminder, because Vilardi will be 19 next season, he is only eligible to play in the NHL or be returned to the OHL. Players drafted out of major junior hockey may not play in any North American professional league other than the NHL until their 20-year-old season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was at tonight's game. Glad I came in at the buzzer because the Reign went up 3-0 early and it stayed that way despite a couple more contested goals. Wagner's speed is unreal. Lintuniemi looked incredible all night (but in a quiet way, Gulls offense died around him and transition started effortlessly). Brodzinski is an NHLer in the wrong league. Petersen is the real deal, looked bored all night even under extreme pressure. Other than that? Didn't look like one skater on the ice with serious NHL potential. Mersch is done. MacDermid might hack it as a depth guy but he can't dominate the AHL (not that he needs to). Thought it was funny when they ran a PK with MacDermid, Falkovsky, Auger, Crescenzi. no one could even gain the zone--that's 6'5", 6'8", 6'7", 6'5", lol.

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
Thought it was funny when they ran a PK with MacDermid, Falkovsky, Auger, Crescenzi. no one could even gain the zone--that's 6'5", 6'8", 6'7", 6'5", lol.
Falkovsky might have a few more goals/assists if he could find a stick that doesn't snap every time he lines up a massive slap shot.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Falkovsky might have a few more goals/assists if he could find a stick that doesn't snap every time he lines up a massive slap shot.

It's wild to have a player out there who makes MacDermid look like an average-sized dude. Not sure they make sticks for tight ends.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Why wasn't Maillet playing tonight? Hopefully, he isn't hurt.

A couple of notes from the Reign game last night. The Reign moved into 3rd in the division, just one pct point out of 2nd place, currently held by the Gulls. The Reign are 6-0-1-1 in their last 8 games. Phillipe Maillet, who has been red hot since taking over for Amadio as the 1C did not play last night. He was boarded (penalty called) pretty hard in the previous game, although he did come back later in that game to play against Stockton. Have to assume that it's related. Have not seen Fantenberg the last 2 games, not sure if coaches decision or not. His play has been a bit disappointing. The new kid Bauman got into the game last night in limited minutes on the 4th line. Look like he had a high compete level and brought a lot of energy. Could be a good addition to add some quickness with all the lumbering giants we have on this squad. Wagner scored his 2nd beauty of a goal this season (5th overall) utilizing his speed, streaking down the right side past the d man, then cutting in front of the goalie Berra to lift the shot into the net. After a few shaky games mid season, Petersen rounding into back into early season form the past six weeks. I suspect he gets the majority of the games in this battle to get into the playoffs. Stothers has done a great job molding this mix of first year players, NHL and AHL vets into a team. The Reign started the year 0-6. Since then they are 29-13-4. Not too shabby.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Was at tonight's game. Glad I came in at the buzzer because the Reign went up 3-0 early and it stayed that way despite a couple more contested goals. Wagner's speed is unreal. Lintuniemi looked incredible all night (but in a quiet way, Gulls offense died around him and transition started effortlessly). Brodzinski is an NHLer in the wrong league. Petersen is the real deal, looked bored all night even under extreme pressure. Other than that? Didn't look like one skater on the ice with serious NHL potential. Mersch is done. MacDermid might hack it as a depth guy but he can't dominate the AHL (not that he needs to). Thought it was funny when they ran a PK with MacDermid, Falkovsky, Auger, Crescenzi. no one could even gain the zone--that's 6'5", 6'8", 6'7", 6'5", lol.

Since you brought up Brodzinski, perhaps you can satisfy my curiosity. Is it just me, or has Brodzinski been stuck on 8 goals since about late November?! Seriously, I think his last goal was scored in a King's uniform. Where'd the guy go?!

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Since you brought up Brodzinski, perhaps you can satisfy my curiosity. Is it just me, or has Brodzinski been stuck on 8 goals since about late November?! Seriously, I think his last goal was scored in a King's uniform. Where'd the guy go?!

Brodzinski scored 4 goals in 5 games on the Reign in January in between call ups. He was sent down again at the end of Feb. He has 0 goals and 5 assists in 7 games since being sent down. Brodz needs to play with a good puck distributor to be successful scoring goals. He does not have that now with Amadio on the Kings. Several of his assists have been secondary or off rebounds on his hard shot, but he hasn't had many if any golden scoring chances lately. His play has been fine.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Highlights do a pretty poor job showing just how physical this game was in the first two periods. Bodies were flying everywhere. I thought MacDermid and Devane were going to literally kill someone. It was nice to see MacDermid play with some fire again. He's been pretty passive (for him anyways) since he came back from the Kings. A lot of emotion by the Reign in this game, and with the win they move from 5th to 3rd and back into a playoff spot.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Man, Petersen really is something else. Dude is a blue chipper all the way. Just looks so poised and in control, but with some great explosiveness.

Also lol at Auger literally picking Hensick up after that pretty game winner :laugh:

Reactions: KingTrouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->