Prospect Info: Olympics

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I really don't understand the decision to start Vasily Koshechkin. It seemed very last minute and outside of the strategy Russia employed in the EHT and World Championships the last two years where Shestyorkin and Sorokin had a lot of success, and Koshechkin barely got called up to the Russian National Team. It's not even like this guy does better than them in the KHL. It seems a decision based on seniority, but why would that be a surprise? Shestyorkin completely outplayed Koskinen last season and Znarok chose Koskinen to start in the playoffs.

I was a bit surprised, but not shocked. Igor's injury was real bad timing, although, I'm not so sure he would have been the starter anyway, however much he merited it. Case could be made for Shesty and Sorokin to be honest probably.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was a bit surprised, but not shocked. Igor's injury was real bad timing, although, I'm not so sure he would have been the starter anyway, however much he merited it. Case could be made for Shesty and Sorokin to be honest probably.

I think he had the edge on Sorokin before he got injured, and I think it showed in who got what starts during the EHT. After the injury, they brought in Koshechkin, and I guess he outplayed Sorokin in the next EHT games.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
It was pretty shit timing, not that you ever want to see injuries.

If they keep Cost in, then he'll need to pull his finger out next game. He was poor.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Simply guessing but probably the goalie choice was as a result of a pure Russian trait to already start banking on winning the Olympics and, therefore, letting every goalie a chance to play. I'd bet Koshechkin will not see any icetime the rest of the tourney.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I am bewildered at the entire team USA roster. Whats the point of loading it with 30 year old flameouts? Why not focus the roster on college kids and prospects? If you've got a team thats not likely to medal, at least play up the 1980 angle with some young guys. Embrace the underdog status. This roster does nothing for me.

They are still better than 99% of college players.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
if they werent going to have nhlers then i wish they wudda done it like they did in the old days where u got amateurs to try out for team USA in the summer and play as a team for months leading up to the olympics. this team of flameouts and retirees apparently didnt even play a friendly game to warm up for the olympics.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
if they werent going to have nhlers then i wish they wudda done it like they did in the old days where u got amateurs to try out for team USA in the summer and play as a team for months leading up to the olympics. this team of flameouts and retirees apparently didnt even play a friendly game to warm up for the olympics.

Meanwhile, teams from smaller countries who are missing one or two guys have been together forever.

Reactions: NCRanger

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Wow Baranka.

Still remember his only game with us. Thanksgiving eve 2007. He assisted on Colton Orr’s only goal of the season. Trying to follow the game on a blackberry which sucked.

I’m pretty sure he has the distinction of having the highest points per game total of any player from the greatest draft ever. He scored his one point and fled the country.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I did. I kinda wanted to watch another one in February.

I am really enjoying the Olympics without NHL players. Different vibe, different players, and it feels more like the Olympics. There's something different about it when the NHL stars are playing in the Olympics.

I still think they should do something similar to football. Have players under 23 play in the Olympics. These can be NHL players then, I don't mind that. But having teams made up of just the best players in the world is not really what the Olympics is about. Ideally, there shouldn't be any professional athletes in it, but that's impossible to do these days.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wow Baranka.

Still remember his only game with us. Thanksgiving eve 2007. He assisted on Colton Orr’s only goal of the season. Trying to follow the game on a blackberry which sucked.

I’m pretty sure he has the distinction of having the highest points per game total of any player from the greatest draft ever. He scored his one point and fled the country.

Was all like 'my job here is done I'm too good for this shit'.

Reactions: McRanger

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I could not disagree with you more @Amazing Kreiderman - Olympic is exactly that you have the best athletes in the world in different winter sports until summer Olympic. But think about Phil Kessel 66 pts this season in NHL and won two stanley cups - trust me he would love to play for team USA in an Olympic tournament since they refuse to use him in the World cup some years ago.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I am bewildered at the entire team USA roster. Whats the point of loading it with 30 year old flameouts? Why not focus the roster on college kids and prospects? If you've got a team thats not likely to medal, at least play up the 1980 angle with some young guys. Embrace the underdog status. This roster does nothing for me.

That was what the Olympics were all about to begin with!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I am really enjoying the Olympics without NHL players. Different vibe, different players, and it feels more like the Olympics. There's something different about it when the NHL stars are playing in the Olympics.

I still think they should do something similar to football. Have players under 23 play in the Olympics. These can be NHL players then, I don't mind that. But having teams made up of just the best players in the world is not really what the Olympics is about. Ideally, there shouldn't be any professional athletes in it, but that's impossible to do these days.
Huh? Isn't that exactly what the Olympics is in every other sport? Why should hockey not be the same?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Eeli Tolvanen in action in some hours Finaland vs Norway - He is 2017 1st #30 overall pick - maybe future Rangers in a trade deal with Nash or Grabner to Nashville? :)

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I was shocked Pettersson wasn't on the team.

He's what the 2nd leading Swedish scorer in the SHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad