Olympics: Olympics 2018 rosters (without NHL players)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
And I think that it is right this way. As much as the players would want to go, that should not be used to try to have them sign a deal that does not satisfy them.
They may want to play in the Olympics, but for sure not to the extent of signing an an unfavourable CBA.

By the way, am I the only one seeing another lockout coming fast our way?

no, but if you look at the last two work stoppages and what the owners wanted and what the players wanted going in, who came out the other side smelling better ?

The owners will almost certainly lock the players out again because its a proven business decision with literally very little downside. Just like the last time, the deal that the owners negotiated for RS will be deemed as untenable and the inherant "fairness" of a 50/50 split that some were saying the plays should simply adopt will be a thing of the past.

I think the fact that the owners are willing to continue acting under the current CBA says something that wont mean much as its expiration approaches.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Considering live games will be in the early morning hours there will be low rating in North America regardless.

Yes but in terms of non NHL rosters vs NHL rosters or a hypothetical gold medal game featuring team USA. NBC is still going to get similiar numbers.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Kubalik-Kovar-Radil
Birner-Cervenka-Filippi
Simon-Sobotka-Frk
Nosek-Horak-Jarusek

Jerabek-Kundratek
Simek-Mozik
Kolar-Nakladal
Rutta, Polasek

Furch
Francouz
Machovsky

Decent team. Could beat anyone.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Won't really matter because casual fans will still watch in high numbers.

Not like they would with NHLers and the best playing the best. It wouldn't come close. Especially with the early hours.

In 2014, Canadian bars got special permission to open at 4 AM across Canada. The country got up or stayed up late to take in the game. Close to 50% of the country tuned in. When it was in Canada in 2010, 80% of the country tuned in.

With amateurs and early hours, I can guarantee you won't see numbers even close to that if it's not best-on-best.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Not like they would with NHLers and the best playing the best. It wouldn't come close. Especially with the early hours.

In 2014, Canadian bars got special permission to open at 4 AM across Canada. The country got up or stayed up late to take in the game. Close to 50% of the country tuned in. When it was in Canada in 2010, 80% of the country tuned in.

With amateurs and early hours, I can guarantee you won't see numbers even close to that if it's not best-on-best.

The majority of people watching the Olympics in the US are not hockey fans. They don't know Patrick Kane from Ryan Lasch. A USA hockey knockout game on cable in the early morning will still outdraw an NHL game

Canada and the US markets aren't remotely comparable

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yes but in terms of non NHL rosters vs NHL rosters or a hypothetical gold medal game featuring team USA. NBC is still going to get similiar numbers.

I difference might not be as staggering as in Canada but they won't be similar.

If it turns out that there is no difference in ratings then the NHL will probably just give up on any future Olympic participation as the goal was to increase the popularity of its product in the USA.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I difference might not be as staggering as in Canada but they won't be similar.

If it turns out that there is no difference in ratings then the NHL will probably just give up on any future Olympic participation as the goal was to increase the popularity of its product in the USA.

The reason they go to the Olympics was not to get good Olympics ratings. It was to get the non hockey fans who are watching to become hockey fans

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Kubalik-Kovar-Radil
Birner-Cervenka-Filippi
Simon-Sobotka-Frk
Nosek-Horak-Jarusek

Jerabek-Kundratek
Simek-Mozik
Kolar-Nakladal
Rutta, Polasek

Furch
Francouz
Machovsky

Decent team. Could beat anyone.

Simon has 17/18 contract. Same case Pribyl. I really miss Sekac. I'd replace him in second line.

Looks it strong. We have lot of another capable players, Zohorna, Repik, Kousal, Kaspar, Buchtele, Smolenak, Jordan, Zamorsky, Krejcik, Nemec etc. Also Straka from Devils will be probably back in Europe.

Czech team will be on same level like Russia, Sweden or Finland without NHL players. You guys compare leagues, not national teams.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Not at least Finland, Team Canada could be like this, only KHL-players
Klinkhammer(39gp/30p)-Szczechura(46gp/36p)-Kozun(45gp/41p)
Ellison(42gp/38p)-St.Pierre(40gp/30p)-Brule(42gp/38p)
Collins(46gp/27p)-Pare(46gp/29p)-Cheechoo(46gp/30p)
Wright(42gp/27p)-Azevedo(47gp/27p)-Talbot(46gp/27p)
Genoway(45gp/22p),Roy(20gp/8p)

Lee(45gp/46p)-Gragnani(40gp/24p)
Robinson(46gp/20p)-Genoway(45gp/22p)
Katic(44gp/17p)-Kinrade(24gp/13p)
Barker(42gp/15p)-Plastino(46gp/17p)

Scrivens
Taylor
MacIntyre

You can do second Team Canada team also from KHL:ers

WTF is this?!

I want to watch McDavid, Crosby, McKinnon, Seguin, Benn etc vs Laine and co.

Not a bunch of players who werent good enough for the NHL

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
WTF is this?!

I want to watch McDavid, Crosby, McKinnon, Seguin, Benn etc vs Laine and co.

Not a bunch of players who werent good enough for the NHL

This is probably the wrong thread for you then lol

Also there's no way MacKinnon makes team Canada.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I honestly think that owners are short-sighted with this. OG is a great world-wide exposure for hockey and indirectly for NHL.

Sure, short-term the benefits aren't noticeable, but long-term I believe it pays to keep things as status quo.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Won't really matter because casual fans will still watch in high numbers.

You're absolutely right. It will still be Russia vs. USA, or Sweden vs. Finland, regardless of who is wearing the colors. You are right in saying that non-fanatics will focus on the rivalries and whatever drama emerges, regardless of who the participants are, especially because they are not that familiar with the participants in the first place. There will inevitably be new names that will emerge in that setting, especially in comparison with the same NHL players who play against each other night after night in league play. If a fan is focused only on the NHL, why not just watch league play instead?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Yeah, I strongly disagree with this. It's the Olympics. People care about the Olympics. Why? Because it's friggin' Olympics.

Probably none of us watch swimming world championships, but the vast majority tune in to swimming during the Olympics. Why? Because it's friggin' Olympics.

They could assemble rosters from accounting firms and people would still watch.

I agree with the first 2 parts, but people here get enough hockey. It's not a fun 2 week novelty, it's pretty much a 300 days of the year event. I really don't care about the Olympic hockey unless it's the best players playing. I'll probably tune into games if it's convenient, but I get enough hockey.

In terms of the hockey, the prestige of the tournament is only as prestigious as the players playing in it. You don't get good players, you don't have a good tournament. For all other sports, I don't really care whose in it, because I don't know anything about it and I'm really only in it for a moment.

Edit: And furthermore, I think Olympics are actually full of crooks and cheaters. I mean, you can be as mad as you want at the NHL for pulling out because it's bad for business, but the NHL is honest about it. The Olympics are dirty, greedy, corrupt, they take bribes, you have entire federations that dope their athletes, and lets be honest, always have been. They cater and reward dictators, they ruin economies for their temporary glory.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
What does the IOC care. Not like they announce rosters until fall anyway. The NHL schedule is basically the main domino that has to fall first

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
What does the IOC care. Not like they announce rosters until fall anyway. The NHL schedule is basically the main domino that has to fall first
I have no idea why the IOC had the idea of a deadline in January, it's not like the NHL releases their schedule now (the 2016-17 schedule was released in late June)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad