Olympics: Olympics 2018 rosters (without NHL players)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
KHL players would dominate. Russia cruises to victory like the Soviet days when their "amateurs" beat up on inferior competition.

I think knowledgeable Russian fans would see that without NHL participation, it doesn't mean much. I think a deal gets done, we all want the best in the world at the Olympics.

Most Russian fans, I mean the general population not the HFBoards population, won't care. Olympic gold is Olympic gold. They'd be stoked.

Americans would probably be the same. Actually everybody except maybe Canada would be extremely excited by.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Most Russian fans, I mean the general population not the HFBoards population, won't care. Olympic gold is Olympic gold. They'd be stoked.

Americans would probably be the same. Actually everybody except maybe Canada would be extremely excited by.

The historical record will still get it right. I know there are Russian hockey historians out there, having Canada's best at home alters the record.

The sad thing is, the Soviet teams of the mid to late 70s and 80s had a chance to beat Canada for Gold in the Olympics (not saying they would have -- 4 of 5 Canada Cups and the 1972 Summit Series cemented our best being better than their best).

Maybe flag waving wins out? But I think KHL pros beating up on amateurs and players playing for Canada who clearly wouldn't make the top 10-15 teams Canada could send dilutes it.

Other countries would be affected as well. The Swedes and Americans would be severely weakened. Even the Russians would be missing Ovechkin (he says he'll go), Malkin, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Tarasenko, etc.

Seeing KHLers beat up on clearly lesser opponents has no value IMO.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
I think the absence of NHL players will make the 2018 Olympics more interesting though.
It will open the possibility for more teams to win the gold instead just Canada.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think the absence of NHL players will make the 2018 Olympics more interesting though.
Because the it will open more teams to win the gold instead just Canada.

Same reasoning that caused the IIHF to be hostile towards Canada. Not a good path to go down, any team can win.

We don't punish Scandinavian countries in Biathlon. Nor do we punish the USA in basketball.

Why can't Canada send our best? So what, other countries don't like that we do well in our sport. Doesn't make sense to punish us. It didn't work out previously, in fact Canada withdrew from the IIHF and international hockey competition.

Don't take our kindness for weakness. Not allowing us to use our best in our sport seems inherently wrong.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Oscar Möller - Joel Eriksson Ek - Lindblom Oskar
Dick Axelsson - Johan Sundström - Omark Linus
Magnus Pääjärvi - Ryno Johan - Dennis Everberg
Jacob de la Rose - Oskar Sundqvist - Carl Klingberg
Andreas Thuresson - Lucas Wallmark -

Henrik Tömmernes - Oscar Fantenberg
Jacob Larsson - David Rundblad
Erik Gustafsson - Jonas Ahnelöv
Gustav Forsling - Andreas Englund

Linus Ullmark
Joel Lassinantti
Anton Forsberg

Last edited:

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Team Finland would be something like that (now playing)
Hartikainen(KHL)-Kontiola(KHL)-Palola(SHL)
Kuusela(KHL)-Aaltonen(KHL)-Haapala(LIIGA)
Osala(KHL)-Kemppainen(KHL)-Joensuu(KHL)
Pihlström(KHL)-Anttila(KHL)-Pyörälä(LIIGA)
Ramstedt(KHL),Savinainen(LIIGA)

Lepistö(KHL)-Jaakola(KHL)
Hietanen(KHL)-Salmela(KHL)
Kukkonen(LIIGA)-Ohtamaa(KHL)
Mäntylä(KHL)-Virtanen(LIIGA)

Koskinen(KHL)
Metsola(KHL)
Ortio(SHL)

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
May I ask canadiens and american fans on here how the Olympics were regarded before 98 (before NHL-players came to play)?

Because from what I see a lot are dissapointed and would regard the 2018 olympics as useless and boring if the NHLers won´t come, but we need to remember that before 98 at least in Europe the excitement didn´t really change from 94 to 98. The Olympics were seen as a big deal even before the NHLers came to play.
In Sweden the 94 olympics are hyped (clearly somewhat because they won it for the first time) and you had neither the NHLers there nor the best Soviet or Czech players there as it had been before at least. Judging by that the 1994 olympic tournament was clearly the worst one in regard to good players, but russians, czechs, swedes and finns showed the same excitement for that tournament as any other olympics before or after.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Same reasoning that caused the IIHF to be hostile towards Canada. Not a good path to go down, any team can win.

We don't punish Scandinavian countries in Biathlon. Nor do we punish the USA in basketball.

Why can't Canada send our best? So what, other countries don't like that we do well in our sport. Doesn't make sense to punish us. It didn't work out previously, in fact Canada withdrew from the IIHF and international hockey competition.

Don't take our kindness for weakness. Not allowing us to use our best in our sport seems inherently wrong.

Canada can send their best, the only thing stopping them is the NHL

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The historical record will still get it right. I know there are Russian hockey historians out there, having Canada's best at home alters the record.

The sad thing is, the Soviet teams of the mid to late 70s and 80s had a chance to beat Canada for Gold in the Olympics (not saying they would have -- 4 of 5 Canada Cups and the 1972 Summit Series cemented our best being better than their best).

Maybe flag waving wins out? But I think KHL pros beating up on amateurs and players playing for Canada who clearly wouldn't make the top 10-15 teams Canada could send dilutes it.

Other countries would be affected as well. The Swedes and Americans would be severely weakened. Even the Russians would be missing Ovechkin (he says he'll go), Malkin, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Tarasenko, etc.

Seeing KHLers beat up on clearly lesser opponents has no value IMO.

That's why I said HFBoards people wouldn't be cheering to the same degree, but if the US and Russia played in the Gold Medal game (unlikely given how bad the US team will probably but regardless) there will still be 20 million Americans watching and same number of Russians and they'll take an Olympic gold no matter what.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
May I ask canadiens and american fans on here how the Olympics were regarded before 98 (before NHL-players came to play)?
My "hockey memory" goes back to 1976
The Olympics prior to the NHL involvement was basically not paid any attention at all; in the US their Olympic win over Russia in 1980 was on "tape delay" and Al Michaels (famous for saying "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!") called that game because nobody else wanted to do it.

It's not like the Olympics weren't watched, but the ice hockey wasn't anymore important then the other winter sports (back then even the "best-on-best" Canada Cup tournament wasn't paid much attention in the US)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
My "hockey memory" goes back to 1976
The Olympics prior to the NHL involvement was basically not paid any attention at all; in the US their Olympic win over Russia in 1980 was on "tape delay" and Al Michaels (famous for saying "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!") called that game because nobody else wanted to do it.

It's not like the Olympics weren't watched, but the ice hockey wasn't anymore important then the other winter sports (back then even the "best-on-best" Canada Cup tournament wasn't paid much attention in the US)

exactly this. My introduction to international hockey goes back to the '84 Canada Cup, but really became a fan after the '87 World Juniors and the infamous Piestany punch up and the '87 CC. I have no recollection of the '88 Olympics. Zero. Didn't watch a minute of the '92 tournament. and followed the '94 tournament. I think I watched a period of the gold medal game but had to leave it...can't remember as to why I didn't watch it to the end.

The Oympic hockey tournament was of little interest to me prior to '98. And should the NHL decide that they no longer want to participate, I imagine my interest in Olympic hockey will return to almost zero.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
How likely do you think it is that Hockey Canada is just going to decide to not compete in ice hockey at the Olympics? Seriously

I think there is a chance they don't participate. If the NHL backs out there wouldn't be enough time to turn it into an under 20 tournament. It will just be KHL and other Euro league players beating up on North American minor league players.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think there is a chance they don't participate. If the NHL backs out there wouldn't be enough time to turn it into an under 20 tournament. It will just be KHL and other Euro league players beating up on North American minor league players.

Tom Renney said last night that if there's no NHL participation, they have a Plan B in place but wouldn't say what Plan B is until there's an official announcement from the NHL.

My guess is the team will be a mix of our better Spengler Cup players with some KHL and SEL players thrown in.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Sorokin,Koshechkin

Gusev-Shipachev-Dadonov
Kovalchuk--Datsyuk-Kaprizov
Mozyakin-Tkachev-Nichushkin
Shumakov-Shalunov -Baravanov
Telegin

Voynov-Belov
Kiselevich-Ozhiganov
Antipin-Chudinov

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Sorokin,Koshechkin

Gusev-Shipachev-Dadonov
Kovalchuk--Datsyuk-Kaprizov
Mozyakin-Tkachev-Nichushkin
Shumakov-Shalunov -Baravanov
Telegin

Voynov-Belov
Kiselevich-Ozhiganov
Antipin-Chudinov

I think this roster is not weaker than the NHL verison Russian roster
maybe better

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

It's never going to be u20. Ever

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I think that Canada would just field players from various leagues all over the world, AHL, KHL, SEL, etc, find the best players. No different than how the Spengler Cup team is made up, except they wouldn`t be playing against other Canadians.

In regards to if Canadians would care, probably about the same as the Spengler cup. Some people love watching it because it`s a cool tournament, but only really dedicated fans would know any of the players from any of the teams, and losing it wouldn't faze anyone because honestly, it would be a tournament of nobodies.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The Spengler Cup will be a preparation tournament next year. Canada would ice their olympic team, Switzerland will also participate with a national team and there are rumours that the russian federation has also expressed its interest of participation in case the NHL doesn't make a break.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Wouldn't Russia and maybe even Finland have an advantage because of their KHL players?

Not at least Finland, Team Canada could be like this, only KHL-players
Klinkhammer(39gp/30p)-Szczechura(46gp/36p)-Kozun(45gp/41p)
Ellison(42gp/38p)-St.Pierre(40gp/30p)-Brule(42gp/38p)
Collins(46gp/27p)-Pare(46gp/29p)-Cheechoo(46gp/30p)
Wright(42gp/27p)-Azevedo(47gp/27p)-Talbot(46gp/27p)
Genoway(45gp/22p),Roy(20gp/8p)

Lee(45gp/46p)-Gragnani(40gp/24p)
Robinson(46gp/20p)-Genoway(45gp/22p)
Katic(44gp/17p)-Kinrade(24gp/13p)
Barker(42gp/15p)-Plastino(46gp/17p)

Scrivens
Taylor
MacIntyre

You can do second Team Canada team also from KHL:ers

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Team Finland would be something like that (now playing)
Hartikainen(KHL)-Kontiola(KHL)-Palola(SHL)
Kuusela(KHL)-Aaltonen(KHL)-Haapala(LIIGA)
Osala(KHL)-Kemppainen(KHL)-Joensuu(KHL)
Pihlström(KHL)-Anttila(KHL)-Pyörälä(LIIGA)
Ramstedt(KHL),Savinainen(LIIGA)

Lepistö(KHL)-Jaakola(KHL)
Hietanen(KHL)-Salmela(KHL)
Kukkonen(LIIGA)-Ohtamaa(KHL)
Mäntylä(KHL)-Virtanen(LIIGA)

Koskinen(KHL)
Metsola(KHL)
Ortio(SHL)
We could win gold! Still hoping for a best on best tournament though. People of Finland will watch anything if Finland does well, World championships, World juniors whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad