Olympics: Olympics 2018 rosters (without NHL players)

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
During January 2017 it is said that the NHL is going to give its final decision on wether to pause the league for another Olympic tournament or not. With only weeks to go it should be of high relevance to start discussing the rosters for the upcoming olympic tournament in 2018.

How would the various rosters look like for the olympic tournament in 2018 if the NHL decides not to pause its league and which teams will take home the medals?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
During January 2017 it is said that the NHL is going to give its final decision on wether to pause the league for another Olympic tournament or not. With only weeks to go it should be of high relevance to start discussing the rosters for the upcoming olympic tournament in 2018.

How would the various rosters look like for the olympic tournament in 2018 if the NHL decides not to pause its league and which teams will take home the medals?

We should just send the WJ team, maybe Ovechkin could get an Olympic medal that would be cool and a win win for the kids.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
It would give a huge advantage for Russians but also Swedes and Finns.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
Where would Team Canada and USA take their players from, AHL? Will AHL let their players go for the Olympics?

Would teams like Sweden or Finland have any player from the AHL that is of any interest or would it just be the domestic league + some european?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Would teams like Sweden or Finland have any player from the AHL that is of any interest or would it just be the domestic league + some european?
In Finland's case it would rather be mostly European and some domestic. Bulk of that squad would be KHLers.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
I could imagine a final between Russia and Finland to be the most likely and probably the best one since they both want to win the olympic gold badly regardless of how it is won, also the two countries out of the top nations appreciating the World Championship and the Karjala/Channel One tournaments the most.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
For now I'm assuming no guys with NHL contracts including AHL players.

David Booth-Tim Sestito-Brian O'Neill
Ryan Shannon-Jeff Taffe-Bobby Butler
Greg Mauldin-Casey Wellman-Steve Moses
Adam Hall-Chad Rau-Dan Sexton

Clay Wilson-Patrick Mullen
Jonathan Blum-Matt Gilroy
Brian Connelly-Taylor Arnoson

Ryan Zapolski
David Leggio
Cal Heeter

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Kubalik Kovar Radil
Cervenka Sobotka Sekac
Nosek Horak Frk
Birner Zohorna Straka
Smolenak Kousal

Jerabek Polasek
Simek Jordan
Nakladal Kundratek
Kolar Mozik

Furch
Francouz
Hrubec

Some players are in AHL, but in 2018 I expect them back in Europe.

Last edited:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I think it would be fun watching Team Canada's Spengler Cup Team win a Gold Medal at the Olympics.

Our very own Miracle on Ice.

Hnat Domenichelli as the Player of the Tournament.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
I think it would be fun watching Team Canada's Spengler Cup Team win a Gold Medal at the Olympics.

Our very own Miracle on Ice.

Hnat Domenichelli as the Player of the Tournament.

Well, since the KHL and the big money in Switzerland I guess Canada has a slightly better team available now than about 10 years ago. Usually they didn´t do that well once they got invited to the Euro Hockey Tour's swedish tournament once a year. But I would say all the european top teams have got better players available since KHL started.
I'm actually really thrilled about how it goes down, so many new things to take in mind now.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Wow, can't wait to watch scrubs like Sestito and Gilroy play at the highest level of hockey. What a joke these rosters will be.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
This was Russias team at the Channel One Cup last month (usually considered the next best roster after its WC/OG one):

1st Line
71. Kovalchuk, Ilya - 13. Datsyuk, Pavel - 16. Plotnikov, Sergei

77. Belov, Anton - 44. Yakovlev, Egor

2nd Line
43. Nichushkin, Valeriy - 8. Svetlakov, Andrei - 7. Telegin, Ivan

55. Kiselevich, Bogdan - 92. Ozhiganov, Igor

3rd Line
18. Kugryshev, Dmitri - 70. Tkachev, Vladimir - 94. Barabanov, Alexander

9. Antipin, Victor - 51. Bereglazov, Alexei

4th Line
88. Shumakov, Sergei - 87. Shalunov, Maxim - 39. Sannikov, Stepan

4. Gavrikov, Vladislav - 21. Osipov, Maxim

Goalies
30. Shesterkin, Igor
31. Sorokin, Ilya

Missing due to injuries: Yevgeni Dadonov, Vadim Shipachyov
Unknown reason: Vyacheslav Voynov

Players marked have had either Olympic or World Cup experience.
You can click the names.

Last edited:

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Would Steven Reinprecht and Keith Aucoin have a chance to make the Teams?
Even both are old they scoring on a very high pace.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Would be an interesting roster if the NHL doesn't go. Personally I prefer the amaterus do go. Would give some new guys a chance to win at the Olympics and we wouldn't see a 2 week break at the height of the NHL season.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Znaroks loves his grinders, but this is what I'd do for 2018:

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Mozyakin (scoring 1)
Gusev - Shipachyov - Dadonov (scoring 2)
Telegin - Svetlakov - Nichushkin (checking)
Kaprizov - Tkachyov - Barabanov (2-way)

Voynov - Chudinov
Belov - Yakovlev
Antipin - Bereglazov
Gavrikov - Kiselevich

Shestyorkin
Sorokin
Whoever

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I couldn't care less who Canada sends if the NHL wimps out on the Olympics.

It would likely be a Russia-Sweden final given the KHL and SHL players available.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Canada's junior team would probably lose every game, except maybe against Slovenia.

Nah, Canada's junior team would get worked by even the Slovenians.

Although they're not very good, the Slovenians are still reasonably competitive at the highest levels (NHL olympics). Canada's, or any country's WJC team would be absolutely annihilated against that same competition.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
KHL players would dominate. Russia cruises to victory like the Soviet days when their "amateurs" beat up on inferior competition.

I think knowledgeable Russian fans would see that without NHL participation, it doesn't mean much. I think a deal gets done, we all want the best in the world at the Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->