Olympics: Olympics 2018 rosters (without NHL players)

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Add Markov to Russia with him signing in the KHL. Geez, they'll have a stacked defense at this level. Markov, Voinov (a top 4 dman on any nhl team), the giant Tryamkin, Gavrikov, Belov, Nesterov,

Iginla, Doan & Fisher
Omg!!!!

If this is the best we can do we will not even get into the medal rounds. We will be beat on big ice by NCAA players - players who can skate

Don't tell me Canada cannot pick a few NCAA players and ahl players ?? Why do we have to pick 40 year old players on big ice. Look what happened in 1998

We are almost always picking wrong oldish management group

Damn

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Yikes.

We'll be lucky to make it out of the round robin.

Canada has to finish in the top-4 in group A to make it out of the round robin. There are four teams in group A. I think their chances of making it out of the round robin are pretty good.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I think all those watchers outside of NA that are being talked about know they don't really care and won't think of it again after the Olympics are over

I can assure you that there are plenty of people here in Finland who still remember the hockey tournaments in Calgary 1988 and in Lillehammer 1994 pretty well. I am one of those people. And if Finlad manages to win gold in Gangneung in February, we'll remember it for a long time.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Here is some of the guys Canada is looking at.
Team Canada’s rosters for August’s tournaments

Sochi Hockey Open

Forwards: Justin Azevedo, Gilbert Brulé, Brandon Buck, Kevin Clark, Andrew Ebbett, Bud Holloway, Rob Klinkhammer, Brandon Kozun, Ben Maxwell, Brandon McMillan, Eric O’Dell, Daniel Paille, Mason Raymond, Max Talbot, Linden Vey

Defence: Chay Genoway, Geoff Kinrade, Patrick McNeill, Maxim Noreau, Mat Robinson, Jonathan Sigalet, Karl Stollery

Goaltenders: Justin Peters, Kevin Poulin

Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov

Forwards: Taylor Beck, Sean Collins, Cory Emmerton, Ryan Garbutt, Andrew Gordon, David McIntyre, Jacob Micflikier, Trevor Parkes, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Derek Roy, Greg Scott, Paul Szczechura, James Wright

Defence: Cam Barker, Carlo Colaiacovo, Stefan Elliott, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Kevin Klein, Shawn Lalonde, Craig Schira

Goaltenders: Kevin Poulin, Ben Scrivens

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/new...nada…-for-now/ar-AAoRrzl?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp
I'm not even Canadian and this is just depressing to look at. You go from having a loaded roster every year, would have Crosby and McDavid on the same team.... to this.

I'm not sure how anybody will even be able to watch a single game. This is garbage. Doubt I'll tune in at all.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
I posted this on another thread, but it bears repeating here for those who might have missed it. After watching the USA Hockey Press Conference announcing Tony Granato as Head Coach, here's what I learned about the US player pool and pre-Olympic preparations...

-Expect a fast, mobile uptempo playing style with a "lot of skill"

-About 80-90 USA players have already been approached to "Register" for the US player pool (Passports, sign up for Olympic Doping Program, etc.)

-They expect three primary feeders - The NCAA, those US players playing on AHL contracts and Americans playing in Europe

-American NHLers considering retirement have also been approached. Only those NHLers who are out of contract will be considered for the roster. No current NHL-contracted players will play for the USA, as "USA Hockey respects its NHL Partnership."

-The USA Olympic Coaches (Granato, Chris Chelios, Scott Young, Keith Allain and Ron Rolston and management (Ben Smith (DPP), Jim Johannson (GM) will scout the players live and on film this season.

-Team USA will field an entry in the Deutschland Cup Tourney in mid November with a Team primarily comprised of US pro players who already play in European Leagues. That experience will give the coaches a good idea of the team nucleus, and allow the coaches to work together to test out concepts and coaching roles. This is the only major team activity in the fall.

-With it's USA/Euro player base established in November, Team USA will then fill out the Olympic Roster (25 players) with the best/right players from the NCAA and AHL, who they have been monitoring all year.

-The Team will have very little time to play together before meeting in Korea in February, as the USA coaches want the players playing with their normal teams.

-I would expect them to play an exhibition or two in Korea before the Olympic tourney begins to help make final cuts and set lines and d-pairings, but this was not specified USA Hockey as yet.

-My guess is that the team will probably be end up being comprised of about 50% European-based American pros, 25% rising current NCAA stars and 25% AHL contract pros or out of contract/retiring NHLers.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Heh, Russians looked terrible in the 3rd, and Canadians were very good, still we won 3-2. I think, Kozun will make Canadian Olympic Team for sure. If only he had been 2 inches taller, he would have been an NHLer for sure.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Heh, Russians looked terrible in the 3rd, and Canadians were very good, still we won 3-2. I think, Kozun will make Canadian Olympic Team for sure. If only he had been 2 inches taller, he would have been an NHLer for sure.

I only caught the third but what where your thoughts on Brule's game? I saw he scored in the 2nd and from what I saw was around net a bit in the third and had a couple of chances where the puck wouldn't settle.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I only caught the third but what where your thoughts on Brule's game? I saw he scored in the 2nd and from what I saw was around net a bit in the third and had a couple of chances where the puck wouldn't settle.

Well, I didn't follow Canadians personally, aside from probably Kozun - I love this midget. I'd say the whole Canadian team looked good in the 2nd and especially the 3rd. But considering Brule played in all key situations for Canada, I think, he is one of the top players for this team. And he scored the 2nd goal for Canadians, but it was a good team goal on PP, not some solo efforts.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
I try it ;)

Nagy - Viedenský - Hudáček
Záborský - Mikúš - Dravecký
Miklík - Bližňák - Haščák
Bakoš - Surový - Svitana
Marcinko, Skokan

HM: Kudrna, Hovorka, Tybor, Dej, Lušňák, Šťastný, Hlinka, Cingel, Skalický, Sukeľ, Koyš, Slovák, Buc, Ružička

Meszároš - Ďaloga
JánošÃ­k - Čerešňák
Graňák - Čajkovský
Gernát - Mikuš

If Jaroš won't make it to Senators and will play in Sweden, change him for Mikuš ;)
HM: Rosandič, Štajnoch, Baranka, Valach, Starosta, Švárny, Fehérváry

Godla
Hudáček Július
Janus

HM: Konrád

Last edited:

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Wouldn't mind to see Switzerland line up like this

Hollenstein - Haas - Praplan
Suter - Romy - Ambuhl
Eggenberger - Richard - M. Wieser
Vermin - Almond - Hofmann
Herzog

Geering - Diaz
Blum - Unterstander
Genazzi - Loeffel
Grossmann

Genoni
Hiller
Stephan

And to hell Brunner, Moser, Schappi and Bodenmann!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad