Olympics: Olympics 2018 rosters (without NHL players)

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Serious question, are Russian hockey fans going to celebrate their inevitable gold and "triumph" over the other big hockey nations, namely Canada, with no NHL players there?

Also, is the IIHF going to count this towards the world ranking? It'll be really dumb if they do. But then again the world ranking is already full of problems that makes it a joke, so I'm not sure much changes in that respect.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Serious question, are Russian hockey fans going to celebrate their inevitable gold and "triumph" over the other big hockey nations, namely Canada, with no NHL players there?

Also, is the IIHF going to count this towards the world ranking? It'll be really dumb if they do. But then again the world ranking is already full of problems that makes it a joke, so I'm not sure much changes in that respect.

Yes at least ordinary ones

Yes. Not the iihf's problem the NHL isn't showing up.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

They can answer, but sentiment certainly seems to indicate that it will indeed be celebrated as a very big deal should it come to pass. Regarding the IIHF rankings, there are few things more irrelevant. In 2014 anyway I believe that winning the Olympic tournament was as valuable as winning the WHC under their system, as nonsensical as that is.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London

No, because they will lose to either Finland or Sweden in the final.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

The joke is that the best league in the world doesn't want their players to compete in the best tournament in the world.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
The joke is that the best league in the world doesn't want their players to compete in the best tournament in the world.

Dont know why those things have to be mutually exclusive. But you're not wrong about that.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006

What's the point of this comment? You just sound ******** the NHL said no and you're taking it out on everyone else.

Why shouldn't Russians celebrate a major tournament win? The Olympics are the Olympics.

And why shouldn't it count towards the world rankings? It's the biggest hockey tournament in the world - even without NHL players.

And all that said, personally my money is on Finland. People who think Russia is going to run away with it clearly know nothing about the sport of hockey outside the NHL. I do think they'll get Silver though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Why shouldn't Russians celebrate a major tournament win? The Olympics are the Olympics.

Probably because it wouldn't be a major tournament win. Without NHL participation the Olympic tournament is not even as impressive as a World Championship win, which isn't all that impressive itself.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Probably because it wouldn't be a major tournament win. Without NHL participation the Olympic tournament is not even as impressive as a World Championship win, which isn't all that impressive itself.

You're showing a little parochialism there. Maybe it won't be a big deal in Canada and among the hard-core NHL fans in the States, but the rest of the World will treat it as a big deal. Hockey has changed a lot since the 1980's when the Soviets were the overwhelming favorites entering the Olympic tournament. Hockey has grown all over Europe, is making a strong entrance into China, and Olympic matches will draw far more Worldwide interest and attention than, say, the Vancouver Canucks vs. the Colorado Avalanche. Not even close!

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
You're showing a little parochialism there. Maybe it won't be a big deal in Canada and among the hard-core NHL fans in the States, but the rest of the World will treat it as a big deal. Hockey has changed a lot since the 1980's when the Soviets were the overwhelming favorites entering the Olympic tournament. Hockey has grown all over Europe, is making a strong entrance into China, and Olympic matches will draw far more Worldwide interest and attention than, say, the Vancouver Canucks vs. the Colorado Avalanche. Not even close!
North Americans watch/have interest in dozens of sports every (Summer/Winter) Olympics, and for almost all of them outside of the Olympics no one cares about them or pays any attention to them at all! But during the Olympics, great numbers have interest/watch! And almost all watching know they're watching it as "something to do" and not because they actually care (or would actually ever spend any money on the sport, whether to play or watch). I don't think this is true for just North Americans...

This is the "importance" that Olympics fans are heralding, and ultimately it's meaningless - I think all those watchers outside of NA that are being talked about know they don't really care and won't think of it again after the Olympics are over (Olympic interest/viewers doesn't translate into everyday interest)

And I see no evidence of "a strong entrance" in China, and in terms of hockey of course there have been changes/development but Europe doesn't seem that much different to me than it did 40 years ago (essentially the same "hockey powers" and the same "the rest" and the same "no chance" - there are fewer people playing in Canada, and hockey's less and less popular...are there significantly more people playing in Europe/Russia than there were in the past? a greater portion of the population is playing than did in the best?)

IMO the Olympics are less relevant worldwide than they were decades ago (and only getting less relevant/less well thought of as the years pass), and people have so much more to do with their freetime, I see the Olympics growing less and less relevant

Maybe the IOC will save itself, and clean things up enough, and avoid relying on totalitarian regimes to get their Olympics to happen...there is at least some evidence that the IOC may be realizing they're in trouble and trying to fix things

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

You're right that the audience will probably be quite large. I didn't comment on that though. I said that it won't be a major tournament win, and it won't. That's the consequence of the world's best players being absent in what would otherwise be a top notch tournament. It isn't even like some of the pre-1998 tournaments when at least many of the best Europeans would be present.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You're right that the audience will probably be quite large. I didn't comment on that though. I said that it won't be a major tournament win, and it won't. That's the consequence of the world's best players being absent in what would otherwise be a top notch tournament. It isn't even like some of the pre-1998 tournaments when at least many of the best Europeans would be present.

Winning the Olympics will always be a major tournament win. It looks like the days of the "best-on-best" are gone, unless you count the World Cup as one. Who knows if they will ever do that again, given the fact that the World ignored it altogether. The Olympics will introduce a lot of young talents on the scene, and it will be a chance for the KHL to make a Worldwide statement. It might be more entertaining without the overpaid ones!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Winning the Olympics will always be a major tournament win. It looks like the days of the "best-on-best" are gone, unless you count the World Cup as one. Who knows if they will ever do that again, given the fact that the World ignored it altogether. The Olympics will introduce a lot of young talents on the scene, and it will be a chance for the KHL to make a Worldwide statement. It might be more entertaining without the overpaid ones!

The Olympic tournament doesn't have an intrinsic value that makes it a major tournament just because. For instance in the days when Canada sent random amateurs to beat up on the rest of the world, it was a very irrelevant tournament. As for the World Cup, there is already some indication that they won't hold it again in 2020, but that's apparently due to labour strife rather than what you are indicating.

I doubt that the KHL is going to make any noteworthy "worldwide" statements at the Olympics, but you are free to cling to the fantasy if you wish.

hockeyjunkie1234

Jul 16, 2017

When I put my business hat on, I'm curious why people think that the NHL should allow its players (and the top assets at that), to basically work for someone else for free... no business in their right mind would do that. And before the inevitable "it's for the growth of hockey"... what specific revenues has the NHL seen rise since their players started playing in the Olympics? I'm not sure there is a business case that anyone can make, to show that it has moved the needle at all. And a business is trying to make money, so makes little sense to do something that can't show it will make you money.

Of course, if I have my fan hat on, I'd love to see more best on best hockey.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The Olympic tournament doesn't have an intrinsic value that makes it a major tournament just because. For instance in the days when Canada sent random amateurs to beat up on the rest of the world, it was a very irrelevant tournament. As for the World Cup, there is already some indication that they won't hold it again in 2020, but that's apparently due to labour strife rather than what you are indicating.

I doubt that the KHL is going to make any noteworthy "worldwide" statements at the Olympics, but you are free to cling to the fantasy if you wish.

Thanks!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
This thread has gone way off topic.

Please keep it about the OG rosters, and keep the name calling to a minimum.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Znaroks loves his grinders, but this is what I'd do for 2018:

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Mozyakin (scoring 1)
Gusev - Shipachyov - Dadonov (scoring 2)
Telegin - Svetlakov - Nichushkin (checking)
Kaprizov - Tkachyov - Barabanov (2-way)

Voynov - Chudinov
Belov - Yakovlev
Antipin - Bereglazov
Gavrikov - Kiselevich

Shestyorkin
Sorokin
Whoever

Wonder if 2018 probable 1st/2nd overall pick A. Svechnikov makes the team.

N. Tryamkin as well if he continues developing strong in the KHL.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...=11947&cHash=a3444185692206810b66753358b0e41e

It's not like it hasn't already for years been 100% clear that the NHL wouldn't participate in 2018 and 2022.
But now it's 110% clear. Team Canada's staff has been named. No Yzerman, Babcock etc. anymore, only people currently not employed by NHL clubs.

The information abut Burke and Dejardins has been out for some time. I am surprised but glad to see Brodeur involved with Hockey Canada. What does this have to do with 2022 though?

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I feel pretty excited about next year olympic tournament, it is true that i do watch a lot of KHL and Euro leagues so I am pretty familiar with all the players playing in the tournament. I think it's great to have something different this year, it will be very interesting to see how team canada fair.

To me if canada wins gold in 2018 it will be more an accomplishment then canada winning in 2010 and 2014, so as a proud canadian i will behind team canada 100% and cheering them on to victory.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think it's infinitely more interesting to have an assembled team of hungry non-NHLers at the Olympics. I'll actually be interested in the Olympic hockey this time around.

It's probably too late for this but I have an idea on how to give future teams a boost: have Hockey Canada compete with the NHL for middling Canadian NHL free agents on one year deals during the Olympic year.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Here is some of the guys Canada is looking at.
Team Canada’s rosters for August’s tournaments

Sochi Hockey Open

Forwards: Justin Azevedo, Gilbert Brulé, Brandon Buck, Kevin Clark, Andrew Ebbett, Bud Holloway, Rob Klinkhammer, Brandon Kozun, Ben Maxwell, Brandon McMillan, Eric O’Dell, Daniel Paille, Mason Raymond, Max Talbot, Linden Vey

Defence: Chay Genoway, Geoff Kinrade, Patrick McNeill, Maxim Noreau, Mat Robinson, Jonathan Sigalet, Karl Stollery

Goaltenders: Justin Peters, Kevin Poulin

Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov

Forwards: Taylor Beck, Sean Collins, Cory Emmerton, Ryan Garbutt, Andrew Gordon, David McIntyre, Jacob Micflikier, Trevor Parkes, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Derek Roy, Greg Scott, Paul Szczechura, James Wright

Defence: Cam Barker, Carlo Colaiacovo, Stefan Elliott, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Kevin Klein, Shawn Lalonde, Craig Schira

Goaltenders: Kevin Poulin, Ben Scrivens

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/new...nada…-for-now/ar-AAoRrzl?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad