Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie (UPDATE: Reassigned BAK 3.2.18)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
2 year 1 way deal at the max allowed that can be buried in the AHL without eating cap space. That way if he falls off a cliff it doesn't eat cap space and if not them we get a bargain for 2 years.

100% this. Gives him security of 2 years of guaranteed money that if he ultimately performs well, will likely turn into a lot more. If he's uncomfortable with the second year, just do one year as he'd either flunk out into the minors and become a UFA again, or succeeds and plays the number of games played required to turn into an RFA (34 games) next year so we'd have first dibs on resigning.

The RFA factor should be pointed out to him in the negotiations as it may lead to him favoring the two-year knowing a successful season likely locks him to the team anyways.

---
edit to add.

To note, the maximum burial amount next year is 1.025, and 1.075 in 2019-20 so those offering 1.2 per aren't really that much higher overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cypress

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Honestly I wonder if we should go for a contract with bonuses for a player like this. Something like 2 years for 1 million per season base, 1.5 million if he hits 30 points, 2 million if he hits 40 points etc.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Honestly I wonder if we should go for a contract with bonuses for a player like this. Something like 2 years for 1 million per season base, 1.5 million if he hits 30 points, 2 million if he hits 40 points etc.

He's ineligible for performance bonus' as he isn't entry level, over 35, nor returning from long term injury. Signing bonus' are allowed but not performance. Also, can't do performance bonus' on contracts greater than 1 year unless it's an entry level contract.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm big on comparables. I feel Rattie is a perfect comparable to what Pitlick was to Dallas, and Pitlick got 3 years 1 million AAV. Pitlick is very similar to Rattie in lots of ways at the time Pitlick signed. So, normally just handing a 3 year deal to a no-name is wrong, but he's got the raw skill and the draft history to be a little more confident in him. I kind of like 3 years 1 million because as long as the AAV is only 1 million, even if he totally sucks we can bury all his salary in the AHL. So the only real risk is in contract spots, but even then if that's an issue he could always be an easy thrown in for a deadline trade or whatever.

Besides, having some chemistry with McDavid is reason enough to like him at least a little, even if his normal spot will be more as a 3rd liner.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm big on comparables. I feel Rattie is a perfect comparable to what Pitlick was to Dallas, and Pitlick got 3 years 1 million AAV. Pitlick is very similar to Rattie in lots of ways at the time Pitlick signed. So, normally just handing a 3 year deal to a no-name is wrong, but he's got the raw skill and the draft history to be a little more confident in him. I kind of like 3 years 1 million because as long as the AAV is only 1 million, even if he totally sucks we can bury all his salary in the AHL. So the only real risk is in contract spots, but even then if that's an issue he could always be an easy thrown in for a deadline trade or whatever.

Besides, having some chemistry with McDavid is reason enough to like him at least a little, even if his normal spot will be more as a 3rd liner.

Because it could be buried, I'd be fine with it as well.

Not sure Rattie would want it though. Pitlick, with his injury history, was likely more inclined to take term regardless of dollars. I don't recall Rattie having as much injury history and has more offensive pedigree that he'd likely be more willing to gamble with less term hoping for bigger payday later.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Exactly and Pitlick struggled a lot worse that Rattie in the Ahl and I ,know he suffered injuries but was never on a 20 goals pace they both had similar stats and games played in the NHL when Pilick was offered the 3 years 1million which he took , if people think other GM's wont offer him a contract for over a million have no clue how this league works or how scoring is looked at. If I was Rattie agent I would not let him siogn a 3 year I would push for a year Oilers would probably push for 2 , but his agent would probably advice him to sign with Oilers as it would lead to a possible big contract down the road.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
My browser isn't working that well. Did he have Legionnaires disease in the prior 5 games?
Hey he had no points in 4 games 2 of them when he was awitched to his off wing in the other 2 he had chances lol , Did you have cataracts in his other 5 games with McDavid when he put up 9 points and was robbed of another assist by NHL

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
100% this. Gives him security of 2 years of guaranteed money that if he ultimately performs well, will likely turn into a lot more. If he's uncomfortable with the second year, just do one year as he'd either flunk out into the minors and become a UFA again, or succeeds and plays the number of games played required to turn into an RFA (34 games) next year so we'd have first dibs on resigning.

The RFA factor should be pointed out to him in the negotiations as it may lead to him favoring the two-year knowing a successful season likely locks him to the team anyways.

---
edit to add.

To note, the maximum burial amount next year is 1.025, and 1.075 in 2019-20 so those offering 1.2 per aren't really that much higher overall.

If we're talking a 1 year deal then I'd qualify him at whatever his minimum is. For me it's about the 2nd year and getting value there if he continues to play well. I would have him at or below that number unless we are very sure about him in which case you go 3 x $1.2 million AAV. Personally I need to see more before giving him that 3rd year unless all 3 years are able to be buried without hurting our cap.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If we're talking a 1 year deal then I'd qualify him at whatever his minimum is. For me it's about the 2nd year and getting value there if he continues to play well. I would have him at or below that number unless we are very sure about him in which case you go 3 x $1.2 million AAV. Personally I need to see more before giving him that 3rd year unless all 3 years are able to be buried without hurting our cap.
He's going to be a UFA come July 1st. There's no qualifying him. It's the same situation with him as it was with Pitlick. Not enough NHL games in his career for us to retain his rights as an RFA.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
he is a ufa there is no qualifying him

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
he is a ufa there is no qualifying him
He's going to be a UFA come July 1st. There's no qualifying him. It's the same situation with him as it was with Pitlick. Not enough NHL games in his career for us to retain his rights as an RFA.

Then 2-3 years at $1.25 million max IMO. We cannot afford him to become a Slepyshev while being a cap burden.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Due to the small sample size, i think it's important to prioritize signing him for an amount that can be buried in full if he doesn't pan out. apparently that number is 1.025 according to another poster. Anything over that and we're running the risk of spending cap space on nothing. He's only really been good playing with Nuge and Mcdavid. if that doesn't continue working we might not even want him on the third or fourth line.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
No other team is going to sign Rattie. It's either Edmonton or bust for him. Other GM's aren't stupid and know that he's being carried by Mcdavid and RNH.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
No other team is going to sign Rattie. It's either Edmonton or bust for him. Other GM's aren't stupid and know that he's being carried by Mcdavid and RNH.

This exactly... fringe NHL player at best. His saving grace was getting to play with McDavid. Heck I’m sure I could rack up a few points just touching the puck occasionally on McDavids line. Im just waiting for the overpay....

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007

Just like Pitlick. If players show they can contribute and play well with Mcdavid let's get rid of them .Everyone so far has had chemist with Mcdavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad