Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie (UPDATE: Reassigned BAK 3.2.18)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Laughable again that the Oil fan super scouts , don't think a natural RW right shot which is a hot commodity with teams , unrestricted free agent who is showing he can play in a top 6 role small sample size or not, cannot get a 1.2 million contract from a team needing to fill that need , lol this site is so amusing .
I'm not sure why you're so defensive here, but you're talking about a kid who cleared waivers earlier this year who has 17 career points as a 25 year old. And over half of them have Connor McDavid's name on the score-sheet next to his. Walking into contract negotiations, the ball isn't in Ty's court just yet. I would be very disappointed to see him sign for that kind of dough, because it shows him that he's earned a spot without even going to training camp.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Pretty sure Rattie is our highest goal scoring winger over the past month.

What a sad state of affairs for the wingers on this team. No slight against Rattie.

Reactions: dustrock

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
He should get 3 years for 10 million with a AAV of 3.33333333333333333333333333 million.
Don't forget the NTC!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
While it's clear this sort of pace isn't sustainable, I think the whole "he only puts up points with McDavid" is really not a bad thing.

Not every winger is able to produce with McDavid. Eberle had some trouble. Lucic (lol) has trouble.

That gives you the chance to give Drai a good winger if you have Rattie stapled to McDavid.
Its definitely not a bad thing, but its also definitely way too small and specific (playing with McDavid) of a sample size of production to earn him a contract north of cap bury territory. He's gotta prove it over a much bigger sample if he wants a real NHL contract. As another poster mentioned, this is a guy who has passed through waivers and shown very little at the NHL (yes I know all about his junior scoring VainGretzky, he's far from the only player to put up insane junior numbers that don't translate).

It would be in Rattie's best interest to sign here given his recent success, and a cap hit that is able to be buried on a one-way deal is the most he should be getting to prove himself.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I'd do 2 years 900-950k ideally. He's already proven to be a useful player in bakersfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: Furious Nerd

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
While it's clear this sort of pace isn't sustainable, I think the whole "he only puts up points with McDavid" is really not a bad thing.

Not every winger is able to produce with McDavid. Eberle had some trouble. Lucic (lol) has trouble.

That gives you the chance to give Drai a good winger if you have Rattie stapled to McDavid.

Agreed. Nuge seems to have been the glue that held that line together to an extent. The right 2nd cog on that line. Rattie could be a cheap solution while Jesse and Kailer develop.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I know players shouldn't be the GM, but for McDavid, I'd make an exception. I'd just ask him if he wants to go into next year starting with RNH and Rattie on his wing. If he wants to give it a go with Rattie, give him 1.2 and work on the rest of the lineup.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I bet Chia offers 6x6: "He produced better than Lucic on the top line"

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We need to keep him, give him one of those 1 or 2 year 1-2 million dollar type deals that keep the player happy but could potentially be a steal for the team.

Yes, but only as depth scoring not as Connor's full time winger.
Do you guys really want Rattie as our top line RW going into next season? Beware of taking too much from these garbage time games.

Ultimately, there might be no choice in the matter if Puljujarvi or Yamamoto aren't ready because getting Draisaitl a winger is probably a bigger priority. Way too many question marks going into the offseason.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed. Nuge seems to have been the glue that held that line together to an extent. The right 2nd cog on that line. Rattie could be a cheap solution while Jesse and Kailer develop.

Well, Connor is obviously the Glue, Nuge is a very competent 2nd that compliments the play of the Star, and Rattie is a player with appreciable enough talent that he can benefit from being on the line. Talent being the kind of thing you can't replace unless you want someone muffing most of the chances in there.

That said Maroon would have been better going forward with players like McD, and Nuge, which would have been interesting to see. But that probably costs a lot more.

The trouble with McD playing a lot with Nuge and Rattie is it means he's going to be eating a lot of lumber. That and can Nuge or Rattie sustain results with him, sustain health and pace. Those are the bigger questions and none of them were answered by the short term.

I like Rattie, liked him in junior, but its hard to know what we got here longer term. He's done enough for a bridge type contract. 2yrs. Ty Rattie is never going to be any cog here, he's just a fill s you state.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's worth keeping as an insurance policy for McDavid's RW. If he can produce there when the games count, it frees up someone else to play down the lineup and make the team deeper. I hope they bring in a top-6 winger, I don't really care if that winger plays with McDavid or not.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I would sign him to a 2 yr deal one way and also sign Vanek and Grabner unless those two want crazy money. Thst gives us the scoring depth for the wing and Grabner is great on the PK.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Watching Rattie last night and noticed he has what every decent offensive player has, poise with the puck. Dude has confidence actually holding the puck in the offensive zone and looking for plays. It's more than can be said about 90% of the wingers on this team sans Maroon.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Save the cash and just sign Maroon to a reasonable deal. Better option, better player and proven to have consistency with Mcdavid.
Never base a players potential over such a small sample size during garbage time in the NHL. The Oilers management is consistently fooled by these kinds of players and end up either offering way too much money or way too much term. Is this going to happen here? probably not, but fool's gold is something this management seems to love.

Going pointless in 5 games being on Mcdavid's wing is never a good sign, and consider how poorly he played without Nuge on that line and the alarm bells start going off a little more.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
As much as Rattie's production has been a pleasant surprise (and one wonders what might have been if the Oilers hadn't waited until this late in the season to give him the opportunity), I'd be very leery about giving him more than a 1 year contract offer.

It's a bit tricky with him being a UFA, but I really don't want to see this guy get a 3 year deal and have him get comfortable like what seems to have happened with Kassian.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Save the cash and just sign Maroon to a reasonable deal. Better option, better player and proven to have consistency with Mcdavid.
Never base a players potential over such a small sample size during garbage time in the NHL. The Oilers management is consistently fooled by these kinds of players and end up either offering way too much money or way too much term. Is this going to happen here? probably not, but fool's gold is something this management seems to love.

Going pointless in 5 games being on Mcdavid's wing is never a good sign, and consider how poorly he played without Nuge on that line and the alarm bells start going off a little more.

How would this occur and why? NJ is going to realize what they have if they haven't already and TH recognizes it too. Maroon is a feel good player that is a gift to any team that gets him. I would figure that one team would eventually figure out that this is not a gift you keep regifting. Why wouldn't he sign in NJ or out east and why wouldn't there be demand for his services. Player scored 53 goals here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As much as Rattie's production has been a pleasant surprise (and one wonders what might have been if the Oilers hadn't waited until this late in the season to give him the opportunity), I'd be very leery about giving him more than a 1 year contract offer.

It's a bit tricky with him being a UFA, but I really don't want to see this guy get a 3 year deal and have him get comfortable like what seems to have happened with Kassian.

The Kassian point is probably the most astute. Rattie is a player that had failed in the NHL to this point to find any traction. Giving him a 3 year now would almost certainly be a huge relief for him after thinking his pro dream was over. It would be easy for a psyche of a player that had failed to just be sated with that contract. 1,2 yrs is the way to go. You take the risks on that or that you lose him. Even if he fares really well he would be a bubble player and possibly selected in Seattle expansion draft anyway.

Reactions: Jamin

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
2 year 1 way deal at the max allowed that can be buried in the AHL without eating cap space. That way if he falls off a cliff it doesn't eat cap space and if not them we get a bargain for 2 years.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
2 year 1 way deal at the max allowed that can be buried in the AHL without eating cap space. That way if he falls off a cliff it doesn't eat cap space and if not them we get a bargain for 2 years.
I think this is a very reasonable take. Guarantees he earns a couple million dollars over the next couple seasons and some security in his playing career, but the risk is minimal for the Oilers. Worst case scenario you either lose him on waivers or he provides some insurance for the AHL team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Theres lots of concern expressed that the team didn't get a longer look at Ty Rattie. But this might be the perfect time frame look. This allows the Oilers to sign a quiet contract with rattie with there probably not being huge outside interest. had the team had Rattie for say 20-30 games and he produced throughout that extent then that's just more attraction, more pay, and the Oilers having to dig deeper or just say no.

This way we've seen the kid enough to know he can play, and can sign him on the cheap. This is probably the best way to deal with the situation.

One thing is clear is that the org seems more keen on Rattie than Aberg who apparently signed his own death warrant missing practice weeks ago and requiring penitence ever since. this is not a very forgiving org. He's been scratched multiple times now.

We're scratching Aberg and playing players like Kassian. Theres no way Aberg survives here. (not against the player either, just saying)

The org likes guys like Rattie who do what they're told, don't make waves, and fit in.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yup that's exactly what I want to see for him, and realistically thats all that he's earned. I believe that would be a 950K AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad