Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Malone

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I see 2 impact players: Stoll and Petry. That's not nearly enough -- especially when we have to go all the way back to 2003 to look for Stoll. If that's not bad, I don't know what is. And Reinhart's lack of development, as well as other D like Musil (another 2nd round bust, it seems), Simpson, etc, along with how Chase and Platzer (again among others) have under-performed down there, and the fact that Puljujarvi didn't seem any ready for the NHL after spending the latter half of last season down there really sets of alarm bells to me. We haven't had any late round gems in how long now? I wouldn't wait too long to clean house. This is a result orientated business. We haven't seen any good results down there that would point to the current crew making headway, and improving our prospects. I don't see it. No one we call up seems to stick or make any impact.

But hey, I remember when "In Stu We Trust" was a regular mantra around here (referring to Stu MacGregor, our previous director of scouting), so I'm sure you guys have it all figured out. Maybe we need to bring back Stu to draft for us again (not that I think so, but it seems he had the majority of people on his side during his time with the club). Give it another 10 years of producing nothing, I guess. Or another 2 Dmen, and 1 forward. Another things is that all three of Klefbom (who I think mostly developed in Sweden, since he was there so often with serious injuries and before that), Stoll and Petry were either first or second round picks. Again, no one later than 3rd round having an impact. It's truly incredible how bad we've been in drafting and now (IMO) developing NHL players. Other teams find and develop mid-to-late round gems. But not us. Never us. This is never questioned to our brass for some reason. Our Vice Pres has been long enough that he should have some answers, if he knows what he's doing, that is.

I'm no lover of Chia, but if people are truly worried about depth, then look no further. THIS is our problem, and has been our bane.

When you're able to draft two young impact stars like Draisaitl and McDavid in successive years, and have Klefbom break out like he did last season, that can cover a LOT of what's lacking in an organization, and the failures in some of the key cogs below the NHL team. But it definitely affected us a lot the season before last, when we had a lot of injury issues, and it seems to perhaps be already affecting us this season, with Sekera and now Drai out, and us not having the depth through drafting and developing to cover for a 2nd pairing Dman and a top-6 player. I think it's just unacceptable, and I don't know why people aren't willing to look at these things objectively. It's not being negative. It's being honest, and looking at things honestly. I don't know how anyone can look at our drafting and developing of the past 10 years and see anything but a train wreck.
Ok but we just did clean house when Chiarelli came in 2 years ago. Those players are just hitting the pros this year. Maybe give them more than 4 AHL games to declare them all failures? No team is developing late round draft picks in 2 years. Those are 5 year projects sometimes more.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Ok but we just did clean house when Chiarelli came in 2 years ago. Those players are just hitting the pros this year. Maybe give them more than 4 AHL games to declare them all failures? No team is developing late round draft picks in 2 years. Those are 5 year projects sometimes more.

Do you really believe that? Look at who's VP of hockey ops. Katz has always had his hand deep in the team, and he's not going to just let his buddies go. Unless people think that an owner would just over-ride the choice of a number one pick (the Yakupov draft) and stay ABSOLUTELY AWAY from everything else. Sheesh, that would be incredibly naive to say the least (not that I say you think that, but I certainly hope not). If an owner is willing to make the team take a certain player #1 overall, you have to logically assume he's been in a LOT of other decision making, too. An owner just doesn't do one thing on a whim and do absolutely nothing else; that makes no sense at all. As for Fleming, he's had 2 seasons now. He didn't improve Reinhart. Chase and Platzer haven't made progress. No one has really made any progress. Still waiting for a late round gem to make it out, or even a prospect past the 2nd round to become a top-4 Dman or top-6 (or 9) forward of consequence. When an NHL coach has a disastrous season, he's usually fired. If not after one disastrous season, then surely after 2. Fleming I'd argue has had 2 seasons that I would certainly say have been failures looking at things from a strictly developmental perspective. If he can't help JP take the next step this season, do you think we should still keep Fleming and company? When do you clean house down there, and try to bring in a world class development program?

I know these things can take time, but we've blown so much time already diddling and farting around with lack-lustre drafting and developing for so long now, and a few outliers like Stoll and Petry doesn't change that; we should be producing a LOT more talent than that, and more late rounders should be molding into NHLers that we can plug-in the lineup -- other teams rely on this. This is something we've lacked since forever. Enough is enough; we need results. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe we just need a new owner -- one that can keep his hands off the team, and not treat it like a toy, or hire his buddies and make it a hobby. I think Katz has been a disastrous owner. And I've lived through the latter stages of the Ballard era in Toronto -- I know an awful owner when I see one. I know the signs to look for.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Do you really believe that? Look at who's VP of hockey ops. Katz has always had his hand deep in the team, and he's not going to just let his buddies go. Unless people think that an owner would just over-ride the choice of a number one pick (the Yakupov draft) and stay ABSOLUTELY AWAY from everything else. Sheesh, that would be incredibly naive to say the least (not that I say you think that, but I certainly hope not). Fleming has had 2 seasons now. He didn't improve Reinhart. Chase and Platzer haven't made progress. No one has really made any progress. Still waiting for a late round gem to make it out, or even a prospect past the 3rd round to become a top-4 Dman or top-6 (or 9) forward of consequence. When an NHL coach has a disastrous season, he's usually fired. If not after one disastrous season, then surely after 2. Fleming I'd argue has had 2 seasons that I would certainly say have been failures looking at things from a strictly developmental perspective. If he can't help JP take the next step this season, do you think we should still keep Fleming and company? When do you clean house down there, and try to bring in a world class development program?
Slepyshev came through the same year Fleming was hired and ended the season playing on the 2nd line in the playoffs. Pulijaarvi played at a 60 point pace in the AHL last year and did look better this year Yamamoto just out played him. This AHL season is 4 games deep so making any presumptions about how players have progressed thus far is non sense at best. Not all high draft picks come into the NHL before 20 and light it up. Pulijaarvi was the youngest player in his draft and came over having never played North American pro hockey. He's 19 it isn't a failure of the development program that he's not in the NHL lighting it up. Not many 19 year olds are in any organization.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Slepyshev came through the same year Fleming was hired and ended the season playing on the 2nd line in the playoffs. Pulijaarvi played at a 60 point pace in the AHL last year and did look better this year Yamamoto just out played him. This AHL season is 4 games deep so making any presumptions about how players have progressed thus far is non sense at best. Not all high draft picks come into the NHL before 20 and light it up. Pulijaarvi was the youngest player in his draft and came over having never played North American pro hockey. He's 19 it isn't a failure of the development program that he's not in the NHL lighting it up. Not many 19 year olds are in any organization.

Slepyshev averaged about 11 minutes in the playoffs last season. If he was moved up to the 2nd line, it was probably because of injuries, or because he was playing well. Besides, he's a big guy who has a lot of skill. That's a player who SHOULD be developing well -- I'd argue better than he has been, actually. But you didn't answer my question. If JP isn't ready for NHL action this season, and no one else takes major steps, do you think we keep the AHL team we have down there for another year?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Slepyshev averaged about 11 minutes in the playoffs last season. If he was moved up to the 2nd line, it was probably because of injuries, or because he was playing well. Besides, he's a big guy who has a lot of skill. That's a player who SHOULD be developing well -- I'd argue better than he has been, actually. But you didn't answer my question. If JP isn't ready for NHL action this season, and no one else takes major steps, do you think we keep the AHL team we have down there for another year?
If nobody takes steps again then sure yeah look at it. Until that happens I'm not jumping the gun on anything.

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada
Malone never should have been sent down of preseason meant anything, he was a great 3rd, 4th line player in all the games I watch( which was all of them) Kills penalties, aggressive, forchecks hard and has gumption. And to top it off he has 175 NHL games and went down to the Minors and worked hard... give him a shot and sit Pak who hasn't did fukk all this year

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Fleming seems like a huge step down from Nelson, who seems to have been our only sub-NHL talent who was developing players well. I'd be perfectly happy with canning Fleming if we had an interesting replacement (from outside of the organization preferably) in mind. At least Chia replaced most of our scouts, so I hope that he's willing to dump Fleming as well.

As for Katz, I don't think he's been as involved since he finally cleaned house with Chia and Nicholson. I haven't seen any evidence of his input since then. I'm willing to say he's learned his lesson and taken a step back.

Edit: to be on topic, I am fine with the call up. Malone looked good enough in preseason for us, and we need a body. I just hope Drai isn't out for long because he sure as hell isn't being replaced by Malone lol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Fleming seems like a huge step down from Nelson, who seems to have been our only sub-NHL talent who was developing players well. I'd be perfectly happy with canning Fleming if we had an interesting replacement (from outside of the organization preferably) in mind. At least Chia replaced most of our scouts, so I hope that he's willing to dump Fleming as well.

As for Katz, I don't think he's been as involved since he finally cleaned house with Chia and Nicholson. I haven't seen any evidence of his input since then. I'm willing to say he's learned his lesson and taken a step back.
I suspect that was part of the deal for both Nicholson and Chiarelli to get involved

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I suspect that was part of the deal for both Nicholson and Chiarelli to get involved

Agreed. Though I think, based on the timing of hirings, it went more like this.

Katz hires Nicholson - Bob, what do we do to fix this damn franchise?

Nicholson - Well, we need all new talent, let me go and see who's interested.

Chia - I'm interested, but only if I have full control. No meddling from Katz.

It seemed like a pretty clear two step process with Nicholson evaluating and getting the OK from Katz first.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Brad Malone is definitely the answer to our lack of scoring from depth players. Noone else on our AHL team capable of scoring goals or being a high end young player, none at all

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Agreed. Though I think, based on the timing of hirings, it went more like this.

Katz hires Nicholson - Bob, what do we do to fix this damn franchise?

Nicholson - Well, we need all new talent, let me go and see who's interested.

Chia - I'm interested, but only if I have full control. No meddling from Katz.

It seemed like a pretty clear two step process with Nicholson evaluating and getting the OK from Katz first.
Wasn't Nicholson referred by Lowe?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wasn't Nicholson referred by Lowe?

I can't find anything about that in a quick google, and certainly don't remember that. But it's possible, they knew eachother from Team Canada I know. Either way, Nicholson pretty clearly coincided with Lowe and MacT's fall from grace. Whether that was motivated by Lowe and MacT stepping down willingly (lol yeah right) or being canned is ultimately unclear.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Member when people thought he'd be a top 6 winger this year? I member!
Personally I doubt he will be a top 6 fwd this season, but I wouldn't say it is not that far fetched really. He had a couple of really good showings last season and normally that is a good sign for a new player. If everything goes right and they settle that level could(should) be their normal level of play.

I wouldn't make fun of the fact that some believed/hoped him to be able to play top 6. Especially since he has missed a lot of time this season.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Member when people thought he'd be a top 6 winger this year? I member!

Or how about giving a player who missed an entire training camp more than 2-3 games before tossing him aside.

Seriously, you are in every thread celebrating this idea that you predicted the Oiler's downfall. I hope your working on new material just in case the Oilers turn it around.

A 100+ point team that got within 1 game of the Conference Finals deserves some patience.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Or how about giving a player who missed an entire training camp more than 2-3 games before tossing him aside.

Seriously, you are in every thread celebrating this idea that you predicted the Oiler's downfall. I hope your working on new material just in case the Oilers turn it around.

A 100+ point team that got within 1 game of the Conference Finals deserves some patience.
Slepyshev never struck me as a top 6 guy. He was decent but that was about it.

And yes, I'm throwing a party over here in Calgary with blackjack and hookers. ;)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Slepyshev never struck me as a top 6 guy. He was decent but that was about it.

And yes, I'm throwing a party over here in Calgary with blackjack and hookers. ;)
Fair enough, but started behind the 8-ball, he's earned a small benefit of the doubt. Though I would send him down to get some confidence in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad