Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Malone

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They called up the right one. Now waive Auvitu and send down Slepyshev. It's trade time.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Oh give it a rest. There is no trades to be made in October.

If only Chia had done his job in the summer...

Alas, he gets no excuses or leeway here. Do something of substance to improve the very real and obvious problems with this team, or admit you've already written the year off. Those are Chiarelli's choices.

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Tell me that's not the 13th forward that's coming very soon in which TMac spoke of today. I was hoping that would be Drai.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey

Alas, he gets no excuses or leeway here. Do something of substance to improve the very real and obvious problems with this team, or admit you've already written the year off. Those are Chiarelli's choices.

Even if that means overpaying hugely for that asset? Perhaps two firsts for a bottom pairing Defenceman?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
While I've been critical of Chia, I have no issue with this callup. Let the guys who are likely to be long-term Oilers develop properly.

With that said if KY burns a year of ELC I will be very annoyed.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I wonder if they end up signing Kelly now. Hard to make trades this early in the season

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oilers call up a guy to sit in the press box because a bottom 6 winged goes on IR and chicken littles start freaking out that Chia didn't fill any holes during the offseason. When in reality any move Chia would have made, or not made would have been cried over by the same posters repeatedly until the team is on a 5 game winning streak.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

This is a pretty hyperbolic statement 4 games into a new season. It's almost like it's more about your issues with Chiarelli and less about any kind of reality.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Kelly is probably slightly better than the AHL callup options like Malone/Rattie/Russell etc... but not that much better to justify using another contract on when they have only 1 contract left (Kelly would be #50 if Yamamoto sticks... which I think he likely will).

Puljujarvi will be called up later as well and Callahan/Gambardella are possible callup options as well... good enough to sit in the PB as a #13.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I wish we'd loan Puljujarvi to a team in Sweden. Our AHL development team has been an utter failure in developing anyone. Or maybe to the ECHL. They can't be any worse than Fleming and company, who have been an absolute disgrace, just like those before him. Maybe we should just abolish our AHL team like we did for a time in the past -- I believe while Lowe was running the show. Who needs a player development team, anyway? If a player can't jump into the NHL right away, then he must be crap. Trust me, 'I know a thing or two about winning, if that's any concern.' What a moron.

Career minor leaguer? He didn't play last year, but he had over 150 NHL games the 3 years prior

Good. At least some other organization's development team helped him to develop. Ours have been an abject failure. I wonder what the excuses will be when Jones, Bear, Puljujarvi struggle and don't make any strides.

Bear in 3 games: 1 goal, 1 assist and +1. He seems to be doing okay -- hopefully ignoring everything Fleming and co. are telling him.
Jones in 3 games: 0 goals, 1 assist and -5. Think he's listening too much to the "development" staff down there. Klefbom should text him to ignore those morons. (Klefbom being the only impact player we've developed from our AHL system in the past 10 or so years. But that's all fine; this is all just hyperbole. Nothing to see here. Literally. No players developed from our AHL system beyond Klefbom as far as the eye can see. And remember those years we didn't have an AHL team? Yeah, who needs player development, anyway?)

Imagine if we were able to do what other teams do fairly regularly, and develop 2nd to late round picks and mold them into good NHL players that can play an important role. Imagine the depth we might've actually had after those four 1st overall picks. Hell, we wouldn't have probably even needed to trade Hall for Larsson had we actually not been so brutal in the draft with picking Dmen (Plante 1st round pick bust, Marincin 2nd round pick bust, Musil 2nd round pick bust, Hesketh 3rd round bust, Motin 4th round bust, Blain 4th round bust, Bigos 4th round bust, Gernat 5th round bust, Gustafsson 4th round bust, etc.). We've developed ONE impact Dman on our roster from the AHL, and that's Klefbom. Davidson was a somewhat useful plug...some of the time, but is really a #7 guy. Marincin was awful, and he still can't find playing time on a D-corps that probably even worse than ours. Those are the only 3 Dmen we've "developed" to play any real NHL time in the last 10 or so years. Nurse played a total of 17 games spread out over 3 seasons, so I doubt that did much of anything -- that's way too few time to do much of any developing.. The odd time when we DO have a talented player down there who just needs to work on something, like Reinhart who just needed to work on his skating, nothing improves. He didn't develop. At all. What the hell are they doing down there, anyway? Is anyone even asking questions? Beyond some high 1st round picks (and even including some, like Yak -- I'm sorry, but you should be able to get SOME kind of NHL player with the 1st overall pick, and Yak became virtually nothing -- again, horrific asset management) our player development in the AHL and below has been a black hole. This is a huge element that can be attributed to our lack of depth. Other good teams build their depth internally. We seem incapable of that, aside from a 4th liner like Khaira or Slepyshev (who mostly developed in the KHL, and had a 15 goal season in the KHL before he came over -- he was ready for pro hockey).

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Kelly is probably slightly better than the AHL callup options like Malone/Rattie/Russell etc... but not that much better to justify using another contract on when they have only 1 contract left (Kelly would be #50 if Yamamoto sticks... which I think he likely will).

Puljujarvi will be called up later as well and Callahan/Gambardella are possible callup options as well... good enough to sit in the PB as a #13.

Malone is miles better and faster then Kelly. This is a no brainier. They better not sign Kelly.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I wish we'd loan Puljujarvi to a team in Sweden. Our AHL development team has been an utter failure in developing anyone. Or maybe to the ECHL. They can't be any worse than Fleming and company, who have been an absolute disgrace, just like those before him. Maybe we should just abolish our AHL team like we did for a time in the past -- I believe while Lowe was running the show. Who needs a player development team, anyway? If a player can't jump into the NHL right away, then he must be crap. Trust me, 'I know a thing or two about winning, if that's any concern.' What a moron.

Good. At least some other organization's development team helped him to develop. Ours have been an abject failure. I wonder what the excuses will be when Jones, Bear, Puljujarvi struggle and don't make any strides.

Bear in 3 games: 1 goal, 1 assist and +1. He seems to be doing okay -- hopefully ignoring everything Fleming and co. are telling him.
Jones in 3 games: 0 goals, 1 assist and -5. Think he's listening too much to the "development" staff down there. Klefbom should text him to ignore those morons. (Klefbom being the only impact player we've developed from our AHL system in the past 10 or so years. But that's all fine; this is all just hyperbole. Nothing to see here. Literally. No players developed from our AHL system beyond Klefbom as far as the eye can see. And remember those years we didn't have an AHL team? Yeah, who needs player development, anyway?)

Imagine if we were able to do what other teams do fairly regularly, and develop 2nd to late round picks and mold them into good NHL players that can play an important role. Imagine the depth we might've actually had after those four 1st overall picks. Hell, we wouldn't have probably even needed to trade Hall for Larsson had we actually not been so brutal in the draft with picking Dmen (Plante 1st round pick bust, Marincin 2nd round pick bust, Musil 2nd round pick bust, etc.). We've developed ONE Dmen on our roster from the AHL, and that's Klefbom. Nurse played a total of 17 games spread out over 3 season, so I doubt that did much of anything. Even going back into the past 10 years, we basically had no one on our D that we developed or we did develop him and he was trash. The odd time when we DO have a talented player down there who just needs to work on something, like Reinhart and his skating, nothing improves. What the hell are they doing down there, anyway? Is anyone even asking questions? Our player development, beyond high 1st round picks (and even including some) has been a black hole. This is a huge element that can be attributed to our lack of depth.
I mean the current management has been in power for 2 years. Those later round picks you speak of are 5 year projects. We have developed some NHL players though. Petry, Marincin, Brodziak, Stoll, Greene, Markanen recently Jujar Khaira & Slepyshev. It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be but we could definitely use another Petry caliber player to emerge.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I mean the current management has been in power for 2 years. Those later round picks you speak of are 5 year projects. We have developed some NHL players though. Petry, Marincin, Brodziak, Stoll, Greene, Markanen recently Jujar Khaira & Slepyshev. It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be but we could definitely use another Petry caliber player to emerge.

I see 2 impact players: Stoll and Petry. That's not nearly enough -- especially when we have to go all the way back to 2003 to look for Stoll. If that's not bad, I don't know what is. And Reinhart's lack of development, as well as other D like Musil (another 2nd round bust, it seems), Simpson, etc, along with how Chase and Platzer (again among others) have under-performed down there, and the fact that Puljujarvi didn't seem any ready for the NHL after spending the latter half of last season down there really sets of alarm bells to me. We haven't had any late round gems in how long now? I wouldn't wait too long to clean house. This is a result orientated business. We haven't seen any good results down there that would point to the current crew making headway, and improving our prospects. I don't see it. No one we call up seems to stick or make any impact.

But hey, I remember when "In Stu We Trust" was a regular mantra around here (referring to Stu MacGregor, our previous director of scouting), so I'm sure you guys have it all figured out. Maybe we need to bring back Stu to draft for us again (not that I think so, but it seems he had the majority of people on his side during his time with the club). Give it another 10 years of producing nothing, I guess. Or another 2 Dmen, and 1 forward. Another things is that all three of Klefbom (who I think mostly developed in Sweden, since he was there so often with serious injuries and before that), Stoll and Petry were either first or second round picks. Again, no one later than 3rd round having an impact. It's truly incredible how bad we've been in drafting and now (IMO) developing NHL players. Other teams find and develop mid-to-late round gems. But not us. Never us. This is never questioned to our brass for some reason. Our Vice Pres has been long enough that he should have some answers, if he knows what he's doing, that is.

I'm no lover of Chia, but if people are truly worried about depth, then look no further. THIS is our problem, and has been our bane.

When you're able to draft two young impact stars like Draisaitl and McDavid in successive years, and have Klefbom break out like he did last season, that can cover a LOT of what's lacking in an organization, and the failures in some of the key cogs below the NHL team. But it definitely affected us a lot the season before last, when we had a lot of injury issues, and it seems to perhaps be already affecting us this season, with Sekera and now Drai out, and us not having the depth through drafting and developing to cover for a 2nd pairing Dman and a top-6 player. I think it's just unacceptable, and I don't know why people aren't willing to look at these things objectively. It's not being negative. It's being honest, and looking at things honestly. I don't know how anyone can look at our drafting and developing of the past 10 years and see anything but a train wreck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->