Post-Game Talk: Oilers 7 Canes 3

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
What actual season was that? What site are you using? I'm not seeing that on the NHL site breakdown. NHL often fails to list all results. Also odd is NHL is showing Pulju to have zero boxcars for Finland in two subsequent seasons post draft. I don't think the NHL puts a priority on these other than NHL stats.
What actual season was that? What site are you using? I'm not seeing that on the NHL site breakdown. NHL often fails to list all results. Also odd is NHL is showing Pulju to have zero boxcars for Finland in two subsequent seasons post draft. I don't think the NHL puts a priority on these other than NHL stats.
He had 13 golas 28 points in the elite league in Finalnd Karpat at 17 in 50 gp which is very impressive for a rookie and he was a beast in all wjc championships that season Laine emerged that season before that season Puljujarvi was the overall top 2 player heading into that draft year and was thought to challenge Matthews for 1st overall , Matthews and Laine both had great seasons along with Puljujarvi they were 123 all season long
Jesse Puljujärvi

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Pulju doesn't show me any semblance of where he needs to be on he ice. In the Pulju thread I documented several examples of that. Frankly he blows chances constantly by not even supporting puck movement on the rush. He'll skate right into coverage or non passing lanes with consistency. Look for it.

But Jesse has 20 pts and on pace for around 26. Thus me primarily questioning the 50 pts prediction. I don't see that happening next season. btw Jesse is on pace for 17goals if prorated to 82GP. But we're talking about player that was bad in preseason and didn't even make the team.

The toi is a red herring as well. yesterday somebody did a calculation wherein Pulju production declines past 12mins in any given game. Meaning that if the team is giving him more minutes he's getting little done with those extra minutes. He hardly brings anything in the easy minutes he gets.

An honest question. Do you hope Pulju will do well? I mean you write so much to bash him I get a feeling you see him as a threat to Drai. In your eyes Drai does pretty much everything perfectly, and unfortunately I've got a feeling right now you're watching Pulju through pretty opposite glasses.

As for not making the team, if they'd selected the 12 (/13) best forwards Jesse should've been in. That's what people here wrote anyway. For some reason it was either Jesse or Yamamoto, while they both played better than e.g. Strome and Caggiula, and Slepy got a place immediately after getting back.

It's honestly depressing to come back here after Jesse has had a good game to all this. IMO a few messages should get your point through. To be honest I was expecting more from you as I do believe you're a great guy. I have no trouble with your view, but you and another poster write some much against Jesse it almost feels it's something personal or an obsession.

Reactions: PGW and PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He had 13 golas 28 points in the elite league in Finalnd Karpat at 17 in 50 gp which is very impressive for a rookie and he was a beast in all wjc championships that season Laine emerged that season before that season Puljujarvi was the overall top 2 player heading into that draft year and was thought to challenge Matthews for 1st overall , Matthews and Laine both had great seasons along with Puljujarvi they were 123 all season long
Jesse Puljujärvi

Again I have no idea which season you are citing and what you are including in that. Please tell me the season you are talking about.

In anycase what has Pulju done since? Sure doesn't look like Laine or Matthews to me. He doesn't even look like Tkachuk, Keller, or Sergachev. any of which I would rather have.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
An honest question. Do you hope Pulju will do well? I mean you write so much to bash him I get a feeling you see him as a threat to Drai. In your eyes Drai does pretty much everything perfectly, and unfortunately I've got a feeling right now you're watching Pulju through pretty opposite glasses.

As for not making the team, if they'd selected the best players Jesse should've been in. That's what people here wrote anyway. For some reason it was either Jesse or Yamamoto, while they both played better than e.g. Strome and Caggiula, and Slepy got a place immediately after getting back.

It's honestly depressing to come back here after Jesse has had a good game to all this. IMO a few messages should get your point through. I have no trouble with your view, but you and another poster write some much against Jesse it almost feels it's something personal or an obsession.
He is a high skill, high ranked prospect that everyone was hyping who is massively underperforming to that hype and draft ranking.

He is talking about Drai cause people have been bringing him up.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

As for not making the team, if they'd selected the 12 (/13) best forwards Jesse should've been in. That's what people here wrote anyway. For some reason it was either Jesse or Yamamoto, while they both played better than e.g. Strome and Caggiula, and Slepy got a place immediately after getting back.

It's honestly depressing to come back here after Jesse has had a good game to all this. IMO a few messages should get your point through. To be honest I was expecting more from you as I do believe you're a great guy. I have no trouble with your view, but you and another poster write some much against Jesse it almost feels it's something personal or an obsession.

That's just how Replacement rolls - once he forms an opinion, he's very stubborn in ever changing it. I'm sure he and TM would get along well.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Jesse Puljujärvi

Here is his real stats. He was combining World Juniors, playoffs and regular season. Which is kind of an odd way to do it.
You said he has not scored 20 goals in the last 5 years in any season and i showed you this was false . Also show methe last 17 yearold in the top league in finland that scored 20 goals in the regualr season his stats playing against 30 yearold men were fantastic he was named wjc player of the tournament he led the Tourney in scoring , he was considered the best 16 yearold player in the world the year before . Why do you think scouts had him rated so high.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He is a high skill, high ranked prospect that everyone was hyping who is massively underperforming to that hype and draft ranking.

He is talking about Drai cause people have been bringing him up.

You didn't get what I meant but it's okay. As for Drai, he's talking about him anyway and I don't blame him for that. He's brough a lot of good info about Drai and had some excellent points I totally agree with, but IMO it's gets too far sometimes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again I have no idea which season you are citing and what you are including in that. Please tell me the season you are talking about.

In anycase what has Pulju done since? Sure doesn't look like Laine or Matthews to me. He doesn't even look like Tkachuk, Keller, or Sergachev. any of which I would rather have.
Pulju went 4th overall in his draft class.
He is 5th in games played. Laine, Matthews, Tkachuk, Chychrun have played more
And is 11th in points. Laine, Matthews, Tkachuk, Keller, Debrincat (2nd round), Dubois, Sergachev, Bratt (6th round), McAvoy, Chychrun are above him

Keller should not of went at 7. I think he should of gone at worst 4/5

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

I'm sure Drai in his second year, with no PP time or trust by the coaches and a place in the bottom6 with low minutes would've looked like Laine or Matthews game after game. Otherwise everything would be lost with him.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
That's just how Replacement rolls - once he forms an opinion, he's very stubborn in ever changing it. I'm sure he and TM would get along well.

Didn't want to press the like button so I wouldn't give a wrong impression towards him. We've exchaned too many messages so I can't see him in a bad light (as you probably don't either), but I'm now getting annoyed and I can't help it.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Are scrimmages and skills competition goals included there? ;)

In anycase the opposition is small quibble. Jesse couldn't score regularly in the AHL.
Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 games lol and Puljujarvi scored just fine at 18 in AHL lol and why do you think Pul standard should be Draisaitl anyhow Should Nuge be McDavid Drai is a center Pul a winger . And that snippy little coment just shows pure contempt ignorance with you now when all those stats were against top competition , I think it's time to step away from the keyboard now you know you're losing when you have to bring jerk store attitude into a dissccusion

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 games lol and Puljujarvi scored just fine at 18 in AHL lol and why do you think Pul standard should be Draisaitl anyhow Should Nuge be McDavid Drai is a center Pul a winger . And that snippy little coment just shows pure contempt ignorance with you now when all those stats were against top competition , I think it's time to step away from the keyboard now you know you're losing when you have to bring jerk store attitude into a dissccusion

Actually I was clearly jk. I think you are the one that is upset, for some reason. Not sure how I was being a jerk when you are the one getting personal and calling me names.

maybe take your own advice

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Some posters here would rather the prospect fail so they can say they were right.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Teams have blocked that play off this year. We have no shooting coming from the point and everything is down low, so everyone just loads up down there and waits for Oilers to try that play.
I don't disagree, but designing a PP that is reasonably effective isn't that difficult. Or it shouldn't be. Watch any number of teams and you can see what is working and what isn't. Good power plays are on display for anyone who cares to watch and learn.

It makes me wonder if coaches are actually trying to improve. I realize the Oilers forwards (certainly the second unit) aren't as good as what some other teams can deploy, but ffs they have McDavid on their side. Dead f***ing last in PP% is unacceptable. Players are obviously being coached in a way that is impeding their effectiveness. McDavid, Drai and Nuge could definitely do better than last if they were just allowed to play as their brains and years of experience direct them.

This season a decent middle of the pack powerplay is converting at about 20%. The Penguins are at 25.7% to lead the league - a staggering 11% better than the Oilers. There are only five teams in the league worse than 17%. The Oilers, led by McLellan and Woody are dead f***ing last at 14.3.

Its well beyond excusable. Its a coaching performance that warrants a firing, no doubt. Chiarelli provided the man with a crap roster, we can all see it. But if you can't even get a PP [that has McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Maroon (for most of the season), Nurse, Larsson etc] up into the middle of the pack just by copying stuff other teams are doing, if you can't even do that, then what are you doing standing behind an NHL bench?

It has cost this team a season out of the playoffs. It has wasted a year of McDavid and will likely cost him some hardware. And it has made Chiarelli look even stupider for gambling on a handful of tweener forwards and a patchwork defense. Its hard to over state the cost of the special teams failure on this season.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Some posters here would rather the prospect fail so they can say they were right.

It's the same in every forum. That's why I don't like to do "told you so" stuff, because I'm hoping people can change their opinions and are brave enough to say it aloud if they do. In fact that is something I highly respect. When I see someone obsessed with an opinion, but then the player they don't like manages to win him over and he says it aloud he definitely gets my appreciation. I think it takes someone with good confidence to do that.

Reactions: PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I patiently explained to you in the other thread that I don't base my opinions of players on the basis of one game or change my opinion on the basis of one game and why would I? Not sure if you think I should be talking about how great Jesse is when he's been our worst forward in 2018. (With apologies to Lucic who is clearly in the running.)

I don't give empty applaud. If Pulju shows ANY consistency then he will get my praise.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's the same in every forum. That's why I don't like to do "told you so" stuff, because I'm hoping people can change their opinions and are brave enough to say it aloud if they do. In fact that is something I highly respect. When I see someone obsessed with an opinion, but then the player they don't like manages to win him over and he says it aloud he definitely gets my appreciation. I think it takes someone with good confidence to do that.

I have changed my opinion on Pulju, but not for the better. I'll change again when his play warrants it consistently. Lets see, even, how he finishes off the season.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I patiently explained to you in the other thread that I don't base my opinions of players on the basis of one game or change my opinion on the basis of one game and why would I? Not sure if you think I should be talking about how great Jesse is when he's been our worst forward in 2018. (With apologies to Lucic who is clearly in the running.)

I don't give empty applaud. If Pulju shows ANY consistency then he will get my praise.

Have you ever written positive things about Jesse? Or has he always been not worth it as you basically have said? Or is it that when he was doing fine you were quiet and are now exited to bash him again and again, not stopping even for a while after a good game.

As for the worst forward in 2018, that tells about you in this one case. E.g. Lucic who you mentioned has been getting all the PP time in the world and he's been playing in the top6 practically all the time, actually mainly with McDavid. The way you don't realize the meaning of that, or that you don't see how much better Jesse has been defensively is pretty stunning.

Reactions: PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Have you ever written positive things about Jesse? Or has he always been not worth it as you basically said? Or is it that when he was doing fine you were quiet and are now exited to bash him again and again, not stopping even for a while after a good game.

As for the worst forward in 2018, that tells about you in this case. E.g. Lucic who you mentioned has been getting all the PP time in the world and he's been playing in the top6 practically all the time, actually mainly with McDavid. The way you don't realize the meaning of that, or that you don't see how much better Jesse has been defensively is pretty stunning.

You've liked my positive comments on Pulju, or perspective comments on Pulju around 165 times. Do you really not remember those or are you having selective memory? ;)

Lets be clear here too when we're talking about obsession. 99% of your posts here are about Jesse and due to Jesse being here. You are a one player poster calling out other posters for talking about one player. If you're being honest.

Now understand that I would not call you out on that except in your suggestion that some posters here are only talking about Jesse, or talking Jesse down. I'm surprised you would go there given you are a one topic poster here.

I even welcomed you posting here repeatedly, encouraged you, always friendly. But if you're going to be attacking me now after all that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad