Post-Game Talk: Oilers 7 Canes 3

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
If this was all about the coach holding Jesse back then why did Jesse play with so much confidence last night? How was that possible?

I think he stepped up and owned his game. Good for him. Now do it again and again. No need to score points every game....just play with that kind of fortitude and smarts. Thats what I want to see.

Or maybe some good time with Aho and Teravainen managed to do what TM has been having trouble with. A part of it goes to Jesse, but it doesn't look TM has succeeded well in making a player feel comfortable and confident. I could name about ten worst things you can do if you want to try to eat a young player's confidence, and TM has used most of them. It doesn't mean Pulju himself hasn't had a more difficult time himself, too, and that he couldn't develop in the mental side too.

Anyway, if he's effort level and play has been as bad as some continuosly make it sound like think about the upside of the player. Even now after a more difficult period and with some external hindrances eating his production numbers (esp. no proper PP usage or actually barely any PP time) his goals/60 is almost the same as Drai's and better than Maroon, Strome and almost everyone in the team. Rattie with 5 games (and an empty netter) left out, here's the top of the goals/60:

McDavid 1.295
Nuge 1.222
Drai 1.035
Pulju 0.956

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Or maybe some good time with Aho and Teravainen managed to do what TM has been having trouble with. A part of it goes to Jesse, but it doesn't look TM has succeeded well in making a player feel comfortable and confident. I could name about ten worst things you can do if you want to try to eat a young player's confidence, and TM has used most of them. It doesn't mean Pulju himself hasn't had a more difficult time himself, too, and that he couldn't develop in the mental side too.

Anyway, if he's effort level and play has been as bad as some continuosly make it sound like think about the upside of the player. Even now after a more difficult period and with some external hindrances eating his production numbers (esp. no proper PP usage or actually barely any PP time) his goals/60 is almost the same as Drai's and better than Maroon, Strome and almost everyone in the team. Rattie with 5 games (and an empty netter) left out, here's the top of the goals/60:

McDavid 1.295
Nuge 1.222
Drai 1.035
Pulju 0.956
Wanna see a problem with goals/60?

Here are the top 3 players on the Tampa bay lightning with goals/60

JT Miller 1.67
Kucherov 1.58
Conacher 1.53
Gourde 1.22

Washington
Ovechkin 1.8
Connolly 1.13
Kuznetsov 0.95
Eller 0.94

New Jersey
Hall 1.47
Palmieri 1.27
Wood 1.17
Gibbons 0.97

Conacher, Connolly and Gibbons do not belong up there. Give those guys top 6 time and their rates would plummet because they are not top 6 players. So just because Pulju is up there, doesn't mean he is one of our best goal scorers. Especially when his actual numbers show that as well.

Hell with those above numbers Brett Connolly and Miles wood are better than Draisaitl. Damn what an overpay.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Wanna see a problem with goals/60?

I think the main problem is for some it's always the same thing, stats don't mean a thing when they don't work to back ones ideas. I understand no stat is perfect and see your point, but it's almost funny whenever Pulju's stats have been good they've been downplayed by some writes.

MVP and the best scorer at the WJC -> Just because of Aho and Laine
Last year four games and four points with McDavid -> too small a sample size to mean anything
Great +- (when it was still the best of the team) -> too small of a sample size
#8 at goals / 60 (in December) -> whatever to downplay that
The best corsis -> Corsis don't mean anything
1st in the NHL at #primary assists/60 last year -> only goals count
The best goals/60 of the team (a while ago) or one of the best now -> not enough assists or otherwise useless stat

I understand some of these mean more than the others, and some may have a small sample size isolated (like the four game thing with McD last year), but I'd hope you could give some credit to them as an entity. After all we're talking about a 19 year player who is far from what he will hopefully be one day. And by that I don't mean his the best player in the hockey world right now or anything like that, I just think his stats don't really give a reason to the bashing some do.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the main problem is for some it's always the same thing, stats don't mean a thing when they don't work to back ones ideas. I understand no stat is perfect and see your point, but it's almost funny whenever Pulju's stats have been good they've been downplayed by some writes.

MVP and the best scorer at the WJC -> Just because of Aho and Laine
Last year four games and four points with McDavid -> too small a sample size to mean anything
Great +- (when it was still the best of the team) -> too small of a sample size
#8 at goals / 60 (in December) -> whatever to downplay that
The best corsis -> Corsis don't mean anything
1st in the NHL at #primary assists/60 last year -> only goals count
The best goals/60 of the team (a while ago) or one of the best now -> not enough assists or otherwise useless stat

I understand some of these mean more than the others, and some may have a small sample size isolated (like the four game thing with McD last year), but I'd hope you could give some credit to them as an entity. After all we're talking about a 19 year player who is far from what he will hopefully be one day. And by that I don't mean his the best player in the hockey world right now or anything like that, I just think his stats don't really give a reason to the bashing some do.
Holy shit.

MVP at WJC = He earned that

4 goals in 4 games = THAT IS LITERALLY TOO SMALL OF A SAMPLE SIZE. Sam god damn Gagner had a 8 point night, best player ever right? Yakupov had like 4 points in 4 games with McDavid once...look where he is.

Great +/- was too small of a sample size, not that the year has gone on it has balanced out.

Best corsi = When did he have that?

1st in the NHL at primary assists/60 last year = 8 points in 28 games total, no way Pulju was one of the best players in the NHL last year, if he was he wouldn't get sent down to struggle in the AHL

Best goals/60 = It is a heavily flawed stat.

Don't get upset when people don't like your stats when you pick flawed stats or small sample sizes as hills to die on.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Holy ****.

Don't get upset when people don't like your stats when you pick flawed stats or small sample sizes as hills to die on.

Don't worry, I'm not getting upset. IMO your reply confirmed what I just said earlier, but no I'm not upset.

Like I said, to some people all Jesse's stats are wrong in some ways. But then they dig some minutes or stuff like that to create their own stats that I guess should then be perfect ones. I really don't want to fight but it somehow seems to turn to it with you again. I guess you are annoyed because I disagree with you and am not afraid to say it aloud. I don't mean anything bad by it, just thought I have the right to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad