Post-Game Talk: Oilers 7 Canes 3

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But they're not material to the point I was addressing, which is that Murray losing a minor deal to Chia is in no way comparable to Chiarelli's consistent ownage by Garth Snow.

Of course they are material to the point...they are a factor in the trades. I mean I dont like the Eberle trade either but you cant just separate the cap implication out and suggest that it isnt relevant.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Getting a 27 goal scoring winger with salary retained for nothing is a small win?? It's one of the more lopsided trades for a player who was a NHLer at the time of the deal in recent memory.

You are right about the Strome deal. The only ones still crying about it are either the president of the Eberle fan club or people that are upset about other deals and projecting.

Everyone was calling for Eberle's head last season and especially during/after the playoffs, he was done with Edmonton so idk why people complain about it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
well this is beaten to death in other threads so I won't say much. the thing is this point doens't even really matter. If Hall needed a change of sceenry and was goign to mature then Chia still needed to get more for him. If Hall was a great asset just needing to go somewhere else then Chia should have gotten a better deal for him. We don't know the offers on the table but I have no doubt many GMs new just this, either Hall was already good or would be, and gave better offers. I think Chia is just that terrible, he took one of the worst offers thinking the team needed a "non sexy" player to balance the roster. He wanted to mold the Bruins he won the cup with and made a terrible deal to do it. He rushed a deal and took a bad offer. THere is no evidence that Hall needed to go, or that no better offers were on the table. For the record there is evidence Hall wanted to stay, he said so in fact.

I think you are missing my point entirely but I agree that it has been beaten to death already.
I am am fine moving on.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 games lol and Puljujarvi scored just fine at 18 in AHL lol and why do you think Pul standard should be Draisaitl anyhow Should Nuge be McDavid Drai is a center Pul a winger .

Yes. In fact Jesse is just above Drai at esg/60, and just behind at goals/60 despite having almost no PP time, so I wouldn't use that comparison as a way to say Jesse has been terrible at scoring.

Other than that I don't want to compare the players and there would be no point either, as Drai is over 2,5 years older and has already proven to be a consistent scorer, while Jesse is still getting accustomed and slowly getting there. But IMO it's pretty nice that Jesse's and Drai's even strength productions are that similar, as I consider Drai a very special player.

Also scoring is not the only element in the game (McD and Drai have been very efficient at passing), but if you need a scoring winger for McDavid or Drai I see in these stats one growing for that. Hopefully ready to explode next season with more development, confidence as well as top6 and PP+OT usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulYou and nabob

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Dont agree. 98 has been really bad in a lot of games I have watched. Really bad.

He needs to show something IMO.
I disagree, he has been a lot better than many of our players, not bad at all lol in fact very good many games.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah way too much time with him being 4th line LW. I agree.

The funniest part of your horribly inaccurate opinion of the player is that at 19 years old, in his first full NHL season, one of our best wingers at positional play.

Just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't mean that it isnt true.

There is a reality to Jesse's game that yourself and some other posters just refuse to see.
Its another reminder of how overtly liking a player (and wanting him to succeed) can obscure the reality of his game.

If you were really being objective here then this victim narrative would stop.

Jesse has to be better. I think he will be next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbythebrain

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

There is a reality to Jesse's game that yourself and some other posters just refuse to see.
Its another reminder of how overtly liking a player (and wanting him to succeed) can obscure the reality of his game.

Sad that you're using one of his very best games, as are others, to try and push your incredibly negative and incorrect narrative. Some of you are even going as far to say that his game last night was no better than his play all season besides a couple of plays...well if that's the case his game has been excellent all season.

Reactions: PulYou

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Bingo. The same arguments were being made about JP last year. Then Struds and Gregor came out and said the same thing. His game took massive strides, or, he wasn't as good as some made him out to be last year with the same diatribe

This year he improved no doubt, but clearly not enough for the coaches liking. Nothing wrong with TM having a game plan for him, despite posters rushed agenda

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
'Member when Drai wasn't going to amount to anything after his rookie season, scoring just 2 goals in 37 games? 'Member? I 'member.

Jesse will be fine. I predict ~20 goals and 45 points next season, and should only improve.

Reactions: PulYou and nabob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sad that you're using one of his very best games, as are others, to try and push your incredibly negative and incorrect narrative. Some of you are even going as far to say that his game last night was no better than his play all season besides a couple of plays...well if that's the case his game has been excellent all season.

More nonsense.

Did you miss the post where I applauded his game last night? Clearly you did.

I also posted that he doesnt need to have multipoint games...he just needs to impose himself like he did last night.
So before you jump all over me as a Jesse hater make sure you have an idea of what you are talking about.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bingo. The same arguments were being made about JP last year. Then Struds and Gregor came out and said the same thing. His game took massive strides, or, he wasn't as good as some made him out to be last year with the same diatribe

This year he improved no doubt, but clearly not enough for the coaches liking. Nothing wrong with TM having a game plan for him, despite posters rushed agenda

I agree wholeheartedly. A major red flag that an argument has little to no basis in reality (and is emotionally driven) is when a poster makes the claim that the coach doesn't like the player.

Jesse is developing...he just needs to own his game if this process is going to work effectively.

Oh and by the way...Jesse's line mates have nothing to do with him owning his game and imposing his will. Nothing at all.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Yeah it's not like putting him in a position to succeed and help the team is important. He's only the teams top scoring winger, puts up the best G/60 numbers of all wingers. Best to play him out of position and give him zero PP time.
It's all about the coaches being able to take the credit for his success once they actually put him in a position to succeed.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah it's not like putting him in a position to succeed and help the team is important. He's only the teams top scoring winger, puts up the best G/60 numbers of all wingers. Best to play him out of position and give him zero PP time.
It's all about the coaches being able to take the credit for his success once they actually put him in a position to succeed.

Poor Jesse.
I sincerely hope he doesnt get advice from Yakupov on how to be a selfless player and try (game in and game out) to play with heart, grit and determination.

I have some advice for him..do the opposite of Yak...go out and bust your ass to make an impression. Dont point the finger at everybody else and play the victim.
Dont worry about who your linemates are and who is getting ice time.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
More nonsense.

Did you miss the post where I applauded his game last night? Clearly you did.

I also posted that he doesnt need to have multipoint games...he just needs to impose himself like he did last night.
So before you jump all over me as a Jesse hater make sure you have an idea of what you are talking about.

It's pretty easy to see how you and others have totally hijacked a PGT where Puljujarvi played very, very well and make it all about what a disappointment he is and how he shouldn't be put in a position to succeed.

You expect him to be dominant every night, I get it. But he's 19, still growing into his massive frame and learning the NHL game. You're setting yourself up to be disappointed if you expect him to be able to be dominant in every game like he was last night. Not sure how you can justify expecting him to have a Matthews/Laine type impact in every game from the 4th LW spot with zero PP time.

And then you continue to compare his effort and determination level to Yak. Obvious troll is obvious. You must be really mad about your Flames losing again tonight.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Poor Jesse.
I sincerely hope he doesnt get advice from Yakupov on how to be a selfless player and try (game in and game out) to play with heart, grit and determination.

I have some advice for him..do the opposite of Yak...go out and bust your ass to make an impression Dont worry about who your linemates are and who is getting ice time.

Weak troll attempt to compare his effort level to Yak.

Show me anything where he has complained at all. You're completely fabricating BS to try and make him look bad.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Weak troll attempt to compare his effort level to Yak.

Show me anything where he has complained at all. You're completely fabricating BS to try and make him look bad.

lol

Have you figured out what my stance really is or are you still trying to pretend that you know?

If you seriously think you know what it is I an trying to say I would love to hear your take.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's pretty easy to see how you and others have totally hijacked a PGT where Puljujarvi played very, very well and make it all about what a disappointment he is and how he shouldn't be put in a position to succeed.

You expect him to be dominant every night, I get it. But he's 19, still growing into his massive frame and learning the NHL game. You're setting yourself up to be disappointed if you expect him to be able to be dominant in every game like he was last night. Not sure how you can justify expecting him to have a Matthews/Laine type impact in every game from the 4th LW spot with zero PP time.

And then you continue to compare his effort and determination level to Yak. Obvious troll is obvious. You must be really mad about your Flames losing again tonight.

You are tossing out strawman after strawman. You are continuously misrepresenting my position.
I am not hating on Jesse at all.

I have no idea how or why you are so triggered. You are clearly triggered or you wouldnt have dusted off the Flames fan nonsense.

Let me help...I do not think that he is the 2nd coming of Yakupov. That being said the argument you and others are using are ripped right from the pages of the Yakupov defense narrative.

No hard feelings man but (last nights game aside) there is justifiably warranted criticism of Jesses game. There really is.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You are tossing out strawman after strawman. You are continuously misrepresenting my position.
I am not hating on Jesse at all.

I have no idea how or why you are so triggered.

Let me help...I do not think that he is the 2nd coming of Yakupov. That being said the argument you and others are using are ripped right from the pages of the Yakupov defense narrative.

It's not a strawman to say that he's being played out of position on the 4th line LW, or to say that he's been given zero PP time. Don't think you even know what that means. You have compared him to Yak multiple times in this thread alone. You're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. FTR I was never a big Yak fan and it's easy to see that Jesse is 10000x better positionally, a very responsible 2way player, and much better at utilizing his linemates. You can keep on comparing them all you want. I'll just ignore it as it's obvious trolling.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's not a strawman to say that he's being played out of position on the 4th line LW, or to say that he's been given zero PP time. Don't think you even know what that means. You have compared him to Yak multiple times in this thread alone. You're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. FTR I was never a big Yak fan and it's easy to see that Jesse is 10000x better positionally, a very responsible 2way player, and much better at utilizing his linemates. You can keep on comparing them all you want. I'll just ignore it as it's obvious trolling.

So now I am supposed to take you seriously (even though you are still posting emotional nonsense) after the 'stuff' in your previous post? Flames fan indeed...lol
Come on man. Its just a discussion.

Your'e triggered. Calm down and come back. I still like you.
I like Jesse too. :D

I am just not in favor of babying him. Jesse is more than capable of earning this...I really want to see that happen.

Last edited:

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
To me it seems some posters just don't understand how big part of success has to do with confidence.

If the coach is ripping player's confidence, there is a little chance for a player to play successfully or develope.

This should be elementary to a NHL coach.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To me it seems some posters just don't understand how big part of success has to do with confidence.

If the coach is ripping player's confidence, there is a little chance for a player to play successfully or develope.

This should be elementary to a NHL coach.

If this was all about the coach holding Jesse back then why did Jesse play with so much confidence last night? How was that possible?

I think he stepped up and owned his game. Good for him. Now do it again and again. No need to score points every game....just play with that kind of fortitude and smarts. Thats what I want to see.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->