Post-Game Talk: Oilers 6 Sens 2 - 4 McPoints

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Dude... That is not a language lmao. None of those guys are from the same country.
Well, at least Vanek and Draisaitl speak the same language despite being from different countries, But yeah that was a weird statement.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
It's perfect because they can't afford anyone else, it's just 1 game but he was very effective.

his last game was good too, I hear.
I'm not writing his name on that line in ink, but I'm hoping the line works well together for the rest of the year.
at this point with such a disappointing season it would at least be something else to enjoy.

so we have a few things. a first line working well, Drai is good despite his anchors, Nurse is really good, Strome may have found a role. Khaira has been great. Larsson is finding his form again.
Sekera doesn't worry me as he's recovering from a really bad injury and I believe he'll round into form next year.

If I'm being honest, there are lots of oiler positives.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Lol Rattie pretty much saying that he is lucky to be on the ice with McDavid and RNH.

The thing with Rattie is he can skate and he plays a simple game as previous people stated. He read the book "PLAYING WITH MCJESUS FOR DUMMIES". In the book the following:

1.) Pass the puck to McJesus
2.) Skate to the net
3.) Repeat

Reactions: I am the Liquor

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
his last game was good too, I hear.
I'm not writing his name on that line in ink, but I'm hoping the line works well together for the rest of the year.
at this point with such a disappointing season it would at least be something else to enjoy.

so we have a few things. a first line working well, Drai is good despite his anchors, Nurse is really good, Strome may have found a role. Khaira has been great. Larsson is finding his form again.
Sekera doesn't worry me as he's recovering from a really bad injury and I believe he'll round into form next year.

If I'm being honest, there are lots of oiler positives.

Just don't give Chia any credit for these pick ups, we're trying to get him fired lol.

Reactions: Gord and BlackDogg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If Rattie keeps this up I wouldn't mind having him here for the 1st line. He plays his simple game with a good shot and just lets 93 and 97 play.

I like his fit on the line too and it seems like he's getting more comfortable every game but be careful of taking too much from this stretch of games in garbage time. We've seen many times in the past when players on the bubble perform well in garbage time only to disappear when the real games start again the next season, Lander ring a bell?

I'd definitely bring Rattie back but I certainly wouldn't pencil him onto the 1st line going into next season. My one worry with guys like Rattie and Aberg performing well is that Chia gets a false sense of security that these guys are solutions and decided to stand pat in the offseason.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like his fit on the line too and it seems like he's getting more comfortable every game but be careful of taking too much from this stretch of games in garbage time. We've seen many times in the past when players on the bubble perform well in garbage time only to disappear when the real games start again the next season, Lander ring a bell?

I'd definitely bring Rattie back but I certainly wouldn't pencil him onto the 1st line going into next season. My one worry with guys like Rattie and Aberg performing well is that Chia gets a false sense of security that these guys are solutions and decided to stand pat in the offseason.
Oh absolutely agree. That's why I said if he keeps it up. Like if he stays at a ppg till the end of the season that's more impressive than anything Cags or Slepy have done. Bringing him back on a cheap one year deal is fine. I'd like to sign a couple top 6 wingers anyways for Drai and gave Rattie fight for it in camp but still.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
McDavid and Nuge are so good together...I'm fully expecting Chia to **** this up in the offseason by trading Nuge for "cap space"
Actually, that's what I'm worried about. Do you think Peter asked Todd to play Nuge with McDavid solely as a way to showcase him for a trade? Or am I just paranoid?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I am glad to see that Rattie and Aberg are performing well.

But are we going to be tempted again by the recency bias of young players suddenly performing above expectation extremely late in a season where we're out of the playoffs?

I have visions of the last decade in my head. "Hello darkness, my old friend..."

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I also don't want him, but on that McDavid, what is he seriously going to do? End of a long shift, best player in the world barreling down on him, he had no chance.
I don't disagree on the McDavid play - although it looked baaad. I was referring to his game as a whole, I just don't see a team player there.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't disagree on the McDavid play - although it looked baaad. I was referring to his game as a whole, I just don't see a team player there.
To be fair their season is completely done, GM and owner are trying to move all the good players they have and are cheaping out left right and center. Hard to fault guys like Hoffman for not giving a shit.
Still don't want him.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Fair point, they look pretty checked out in spots, did the Sens.

Edit: Yeah, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt on that play, but he did look terrible.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Ok, the Oilers are not in a position to be choosers right now. We will take anything we can get in terms of offense. After trading away most of our goal scoring ability, we need goals from somewhere (which is a big reason by we are eliminated from playoffs end of march while McDavid has a 100 point season). Hoffman scores 25 goals with routine, you take that guy on your team any day. You just hope Sens are as dumb as Chiarelli and would give up a 25 goal scorer for a scrub, like say Ryan Strome

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
If he comes cheap I'd rather go for James Neal, him and McDavid train in the offseason together and I think they did pretty well in the all-star game as a line.
Love James Neal. The guy is nasty and has a history of playing on winning teams. If he comes at an affordable price I'd grab him too. Length of term would be an issue - not sure how long those legs are going to stand up.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd still take Hoffman if he only cost us Caggiula+2nd or of some sort. It's Dorion and Melnyk. You never know

Still has 2 years left and that would be an ideal gap stop until Benson, Maksimov, KY and Safin hit the big league

RNH-McDavid-x
Hoffman-Drai-x

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
With the Oilers cap situation Rattie so far is exactly what you'd hope to see, that other good teams have.
A low paid guy who find chemistry with the star.

We've all seen that you just can't throw anyone on the ice with McDavid and have it work. If RNH and Rattie play well with McDavid through to the end of the year, I'd think you have to pencil them in together for next year no matter who the coach is.

players get chemistry you HAVE to run with it, and it will pay off for the oilers down the road to have Drai lead his own line

Todd will bench Rattie now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad