Post-Game Talk: Oilers 6 Sens 2 - 4 McPoints

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They spent two months trying to get him going stapled to McDavid and it didn’t work. Continuing to do so was stupid because it didn’t work and at no point did it look like it might. That time may have been better spent playing him down the lineup in hopes of trying to find a spot for him where he could contribute. The contract is signed, he’s here for a long time anyway, what he’s making is irrelevant now. He isn’t a first line player. It doesn’t make any sense to try and shoehorn him into a spot he can’t perform in just because of how much money he’s making, especially when it’s at the detriment to the rest of the team. The intelligent thing is figuring out what role actually works for him. These are the types of decisions and problem solving Mclellan seams to really struggle with, coaching stuff.

Hindsight is always perfect.
The point being is that when you have committed to a player that isnt going anywhere (and eats up a significant portion of the cap) its in the best interest of the team (moving forward) to try and get the player going. Especially when the point of the season for the past 2 months (garbage time) was all about resolving special teams and focusing on which players need to get it going.
Its a no brainer.

I am not defending the coaching staff here...just pointing out the obvious.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Actually think RNH + McDavid are just now really starting to gel and read off each other.

I think at this point you have to keep all three of the Cs. Gonna just have to make due with the rest of the roster as it comes but I don't see the point in trading one if both can play wing with McDavid when needed.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
I noticed last couple of games Nuge has been using some of McDavids moves as well the quick spin while advancing the puck to break the check is one, McDavid is already showing Nuge use that skill that made you a 1st overall
Yeah, it's great to see Nuge using his skills. It's been pretty frustrating watching him turn into a pretty much pure checking center, and not using his talent in previous years.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Actually think RNH + McDavid are just now really starting to gel and read off each other.

I think at this point you have to keep all three of the Cs. Gonna just have to make due with the rest of the roster as it comes but I don't see the point in trading one if both can play wing with McDavid when needed.
Cause the season is over...for one game...can they try RNH-McDavid-Draisaitl on one line? Just for a game.

Reactions: Aerrol

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Aberg and Rattie really opening my eyes here.
Yup and Rattie is a UFA if I was Chia I would be working on extending him a couple of years right now , Flames need RW bad and I could see them pulling a jerk move in the summer trying to lure him

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think within 1 point now, actually. But yeah, either way he's close and if he keeps up this play I think the Art Ross is his for the taking (long as MacKinnon stops his current "Jesus mode", as he may be a threat).

I think it's a three-way race between the guys mentioned.

You're right. 1 point. holy cow. And McDavid really is going to score 100 points again this season.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Four centers. Strome is coming into his own on the third line. He's able to put in solid minutes when needed and he can be put in any situation without being overwhelmed. The versatility of those four players is a strength.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Four centers. Strome is coming into his own on the third line. He's able to put in solid minutes when needed and he can be put in any situation without being overwhelmed. The versatility of those four players is a strength.

Having JJ Khaira on the team is good as well. He's really impressed me this season. Good 4th line checking center that can chips in goals is a good thing to have.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't view Strome as part of that group. He's an auxiliary guy at this juncture, it helps in the sense that if we have to play Draisaitl or RNH to make up for crap wingers, he can slot in but I don't see him as a long term fit here unless he shows a lot more.

Reactions: Aerrol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Crazy to watch a team so low in the standings win the Art Ross.

It happens.

Jamie Benn won the Art Ross and the Stars didn't make the playoffs.
St. Louis and Stamkos finished 1, 2 in league scoring one season and Tampa was the 3rd worst team in the league.

Reactions: thadd

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Strome has had a good 2nd half of the season if only he had finish he would be a 60 point player , he has good hockey sense and gets in the right spots but so many blown gifts

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I like what I have seen so far. He seems to get to loose pucks really well and he is quick on his feet.

He seems to be getting better and better in the defensive zone as well and isn't too bad on the cycle down low which is opening up room for Drai (assumed he played with Drai tonight didn't manage to catch the game just watched the highlights)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He seems to be getting better and better in the defensive zone as well and isn't too bad on the cycle down low which is opening up room for Drai (assumed he played with Drai tonight didn't manage to catch the game just watched the highlights)

I agree.
Its actually a positive for some players that this team is able to play games with no pressure.
I think Aberg is benefiting.
I hope he keeps it up (and continues being a well rounded player) because it would be great to see him turn into a solid middle 6 player.
That would be an excellent return for a UFA like Letestu.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't view Strome as part of that group. He's an auxiliary guy at this juncture, it helps in the sense that if we have to play Draisaitl or RNH to make up for crap wingers, he can slot in but I don't see him as a long term fit here unless he shows a lot more.
I think if he showed a lot more, you'd be looking at a guy who eventually costs you a $5-6m aav. Though lacking in consistency, Strome has exceeded my expectations of what I thought we'd see out of him in his first year here. He's looking like he's going to take that 3C role and own it next season. At $3m--his QO--you're not going to find like that on the FA market. Especially 25 years old.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There was a play in the 3rd that really made me smile.
RNH was behind the Sens net and he was showing the same edgework and puck control that he displayed in his first 2 years.
THAT was so good to see. His confidence is growing.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Strome has had a good 2nd half of the season if only he had finish he would be a 60 point player , he has good hockey sense and gets in the right spots but so many blown gifts
No arguments there. He's got Horcoff hands around the net. But like I said, if he's burying those opportunities, he's a $5m player. I like having him in that 3 spot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Are we allowed to sign Strome at a 3/2 contract ($2.5 cap hit) or does that violate the QO rules?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Rattie is a replacement level player. What we need is a bigger, faster Rattie who can play a more physical game and fight through players to get to the net. RNH is playing well but nobody on L1 (including McDavid) can physically impose their will and fight to the net through guys who are determined to not let that happen. Teams with size and speed can still shut down McDavid (Carolina and Tampa did it) and L1 needs more size and speed than Rattie brings.

Thanks for that, betty buzzkill. Geeze.
Enjoy success for 5 minutes. Please.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are we allowed to sign Strome at a 3/2 contract ($2.5 cap hit) or does that violate the QO rules?
You can re-negotiate the contract if he's alright with it. The Pens did it with Schultz. But it ultimately cost them in the long run.

Just re-read though....why would he accept a pay-cut in year two?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad