Post-Game Talk: Oilers 6 Sens 2 - 4 McPoints

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Ok, the Oilers are not in a position to be choosers right now. We will take anything we can get in terms of offense. After trading away most of our goal scoring ability, we need goals from somewhere (which is a big reason by we are eliminated from playoffs end of march while McDavid has a 100 point season). Hoffman scores 25 goals with routine, you take that guy on your team any day. You just hope Sens are as dumb as Chiarelli and would give up a 25 goal scorer for a scrub, like say Ryan Strome

Well you aren't getting him for free - so i don't know what you think the asking price would be, but we'd have to move something of value the other way. The way I see it, Nuge is going to score 25+ on McDavid's wing next year. I'd rather see the team focus on fixing their special teams roster - plug those holes with proven bottom 6 guys and I think we see a huge swing in the standings next year.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I know Hoffman looked terrible on the McDavid goal, but come on guys, he's a fantastic winger.

If you can get him without giving up Nuge that would be a big deal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know Hoffman looked terrible on the McDavid goal, but come on guys, he's a fantastic winger.

If we fall out of the top 10 I wouldn't be opposed to like 11-12 oa for Hoffman and have him as Draisaitls winger.

RNH - McDavid - Someone
Hoffman - Drai - Someone
Lucic - Strome - Someone
Cagguila - Khaira - Someone

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have strong suspicions they're pumping Nuge's tires for an offseason trade.
I honestly don't think so. I think they're trying to find effective players to play with McDavid. There's a TON of value in Nuge's chemistry with McDavid and his ability to center his own line helps with injuries and depth.

I think the team is better with all of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge and Strome, available to play down the middle.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I honestly don't think so. I think they're trying to find effective players to play with McDavid. There's a TON of value in Nuge's chemistry with McDavid and his ability to center his own line helps with injuries and depth.

I think the team is better with all of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge and Strome, available to play down the middle.
Yep. Cause if Drai or McDavid get injured you don't have Strome trying to be top 6 center. RNH can just move over.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yep. Cause if Drai or McDavid get injured you don't have Strome trying to be top 6 center. RNH can just move over.
The Caveat being trading Nuge for Karlsson (or someone high end like that) would still be fine.

But yes, these centers (Drai and Nuge) are effective on the wings, but can be effective centers as well.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I have strong suspicions they're pumping Nuge's tires for an offseason trade.
That's probably true. Taking Nicholson's words into consideration regarding the 2 centers this team has, RNH has played center his entire career. I don't see why they would switch him to wing now, and I can't foresee him as a long term winger. He is most certainly playing wing to up his value which has plummeted these last few years. Don't be shocked if/when he gets traded. He'll end up a center for whoever trades for him

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

I still feel upgrading our RH side D is still way more important than adding a scoring winger. Look at our 5 on 5 scoring compared to our GAA and tell me spending assets to acquire him plus allocating big cap space on another Eberle is smart.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I was ok with the Hall and Eberle trades. Value wasn't there obviously, but I am choosing to believe in the cultural change theory.

That said, I would puke if the Oilers trade Nuge. I think that kid is going to explode offensively next year if you give him games with McD. Leon is being compensated to drive a line, let him do that. Strome has looked great running the 3rd and has said that he prefers playing centre. Need to find a pair of wingers this off season without unloading a ton of future and we should be fine next year.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If we fall out of the top 10 I wouldn't be opposed to like 11-12 oa for Hoffman and have him as Draisaitls winger.

RNH - McDavid - Someone
Hoffman - Drai - Someone
Lucic - Strome - Someone

Puljujarvi, Aberg, Slepy, Kassian, KY, New Pker = someone

I do think we need another forward who can PK well mixed in there. I'd also be willing to bet that management envisions KY as being one of those someones as soon as next season as well. Ugh that Lucic contract looks terrible now.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If he comes cheap I'd rather go for James Neal, him and McDavid train in the offseason together and I think they did pretty well in the all-star game as a line.

Neal is 30 years old. He won't come cheaply, he'll be looking at a retirement contract similar to the ones recently awarded to Lucic, Backes and Ladd. You're probably looking at 6x6 or 6x7. If we could somehow dump Lucic and sign Neal I guess I'd be for it but that's not going to happen.

Also the points difference between Neal and Lucic is pretty minimal. Actually in the last two seasons Lucic outscored Neal with 105 points to 99. If you include this season Neal has 140 points and Lucic 139 points.

I guess if you're bringing in Neal you'd be betting on him finding chemistry with McDavid or Draisaitl and hope he can return to the same form he had playing with Malkin.

Reactions: McFlash97

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

RNH - McDavid - Someone
Hoffman - Drai - Someone
Lucic - Strome - Someone

Puljujarvi
Yamamoto
Aberg
Kassian

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was ok with the Hall and Eberle trades. Value wasn't there obviously, but I am choosing to believe in the cultural change theory.

That said, I would puke if the Oilers trade Nuge. I think that kid is going to explode offensively next year if you give him games with McD. Leon is being compensated to drive a line, let him do that. Strome has looked great running the 3rd and has said that he prefers playing centre. Need to find a pair of wingers this off season without unloading a ton of future and we should be fine next year.

I'll never understand this pov. I was literally ill when the Oilers traded Hall and knew it was occurring. He is an offensive DRIVER. An elite player, a franchise and marquee player. He was that here, he was that now.

But we trade that guy and theres nonstop messages ever since to get over it, not such a big deal, etc.

Nuge is nothing close to the player and yet the strongest reaction is reserved for Nuge. A guy that had .496ppg as recently as last season and was absent in the playoffs.

Reactions: BudBundy and Aerrol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

RNH - McDavid - Someone
Hoffman - Drai - Someone
Lucic - Strome - Someone

How do you make that cap work though? That pick is actually quite a bit for a scoring winger like Hoffman. Maybe you could get retention out of the deal.

I donno. I think if the oilers were adding Hoffman they are giving up a guy like nuge or klefbom for him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'll never understand this pov. I was literally ill when the Oilers traded Hall and knew it was occurring. He is an offensive DRIVER. An elite player, a franchise and marquee player. He was that here, he was that now.

But we trade that guy and theres nonstop messages ever since to get over it, not such a big deal, etc.

Nuge is nothing close to the player and yet the strongest reaction is reserved for Nuge. A guy that had .496ppg as recently as last season and was absent in the playoffs.

It definitely bears mentioning that Taylor Hall has never, not for one second, been anything less than a full two tiers better than Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

That said, I think every game that goes by, the chances of RNH being dealt are slimming. The thing that needed to happen for RNH to stick around is happening. They'll STILL need a winger either way, but maybe not an expensive one.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Neal is 30 years old. He won't come cheaply, he'll be looking at a retirement contract similar to the ones recently awarded to Lucic, Backes and Ladd. You're probably looking at 6x6 or 6x7. If we could somehow dump Lucic and sign Neal I guess I'd be for it but that's not going to happen.

Also the points difference between Neal and Lucic is pretty minimal. Actually in the last two seasons Lucic outscored Neal with 105 points to 99. If you include this season Neal has 140 points and Lucic 139 points.

I guess if you're bringing in Neal you'd be betting on him finding chemistry with McDavid or Draisaitl and hope he can return to the same form he had playing with Malkin.

Regarding Neal, it seems like he hasnt done much of anything since the all star break. I admit I am stat watching, but it seems like he hasnt produced much. Its all Marchessault, Karlsson, Haula, Reilly etc lately.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

RNH - McDavid - Someone
Hoffman - Drai - Someone
Lucic - Strome - Someone

I think we could very well see a deal like that, fits the Sens profile of cheap valuable asset going their way as well. Not sure how I would feel about it for long term fit but it undoubtedly makes the Oilers a better team for the next 2 seasons.

Reactions: Zaddy

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I vote for

RNH - Mcdavid - Someone
Hall - Drai - Someone

Oh wait never mind

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It definitely bears mentioning that Taylor Hall has never, not for one second, been anything less than a full two tiers better than Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

That said, I think every game that goes by, the chances of RNH being dealt are slimming. The thing that needed to happen for RNH to stick around is happening. They'll STILL need a winger either way, but maybe not an expensive one.

Not in RNH's rookie season. I also think that at that point it could've been argued that RNH may have had more potential. What we have seen since has been Hall being by far the better offensive player, however it wouldn't surprise me to see Nuge close that gap as he gets older as he was always a guy that most expected to be at his best in his mid-late 20's.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Not in RNH's rookie season. I also think that at that point it could've been argued that RNH may have had more potential. What we have seen since has been Hall being by far the better offensive player, however it wouldn't surprise me to see Nuge close that gap as he gets older as he was always a guy that most expected to be at his best in his mid-late 20's.

I think you could argue that during and after RNH's first season, you could believe that there was an elite offensive player there to develop. Before that year, I don't think many people considered him to be a home-run franchise pick or on the level of the Taylor/Tyler draft. Since, there's no question at all who is the better player.

The only way the gap closes, AFAIC, is if Taylor Hall falls off. At 25 years old, he's never going to be a PPG guy unless Connor McDavid carries him to that. Even then, it won't be real. He won't be the guy "pushing the river", like Taylor Hall did for the Oilers and is doing for the New Jersey Devils.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
That's probably true. Taking Nicholson's words into consideration regarding the 2 centers this team has, RNH has played center his entire career. I don't see why they would switch him to wing now, and I can't foresee him as a long term winger. He is most certainly playing wing to up his value which has plummeted these last few years. Don't be shocked if/when he gets traded. He'll end up a center for whoever trades for him

It's just interesting to me that McLellan is suddenly playing Nuge on wing after we heard about playing a hurt Klefbom for a trade with Ottawa. If that Karlsson & Hoffman for RNH and Klefbom rumor has any possible merit, then they are showcasing Nuge.

I guess another interpretation is that McLellan now realizes he can use Strome as 3C and he's a better fit there than 2C or top 6 wing, which means he has flexibility with Drai and Nuge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad