Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Kings 2 - McPoints 2

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
and Barzal

I hope Dougie keeps up with his "just let the boys play" game plan. It's pretty satisfying to watch. The perfect blend of failure and huge contract paydays for the players.

But, he seems pretty PO'd lately. I bet he starts reining things in next season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You guys know that the Islanders being a bad team doesn't make the deals Chiarelli has made with them any less bad right? It's not a good thing that a GM as terrible as Garth Snow is so easily able to bend our GM over in deals every summer.
My point is that Eberle doesn’t help teams win and at six million a year is a cap killer. With Strome finding a contributing role on the team that deal doesn’t look so bad. Strome isn’t as offensive as Eberle but he is value for his contract. The last month or so, Oiler fans are seeing what Strome is doing and hoping he’s back next year. Few were hoping Eberle was back after last season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My point is that Eberle doesn’t help teams win and at six million a year is a cap killer. With Strome finding a contributing role on the team that deal doesn’t look so bad. Strome isn’t as offensive as Eberle but he is value for his contract. The last month or so, Oiler fans are seeing what Strome is doing and hoping he’s back next year. Few were hoping Eberle was back after last season.

The last month or so the Oilers are seeing the value of Connor McDavid being the best player in the world. The rest is noise. Desperation by some of you to try and make the worst GM in the league look more competent than he is.

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The last month or so the Oilers are seeing the value of Connor McDavid being the best player in the world. The rest is noise. Desperation by some of you to try and make the worst GM in the league look more competent than he is.
Yep McDavid is solely responsible for the improved goaltending and special teams. It's all a mirage. Our team is as bad as we were at its worst this season and no better.

Some of the goofy bullshit you guys come up with to blame management for every hiccup is what's entertaining to me. Completely ignorant of the existence of a salary cap and completely absent minded of how poor this roster was defensively in 2015.

We had McDavid when this team was bleeding PP goals left and right and it's goaltender was giving up a goal on every first shot. Is it surprising that we're coming out on the winning end more often when that has stopped happening?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Doughty is a tool

Off the ice? I don't know, he seems like a fun guy to me and I love his honesty. I think we need more personalities like Doughty's in the game.
On the ice, he's a prick and a whiner but I'd take that prick and whiner on my team every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yep McDavid is solely responsible for the improved goaltending and special teams. It's all a mirage. Our team is as bad as we were at its worst this season and no better.

Some of the goofy bull**** you guys come up with to blame management for every hiccup is what's entertaining to me. Completely ignorant of the existence of a salary cap and completely absent minded of how poor this roster was defensively in 2015.

We had McDavid when this team was bleeding PP goals left and right and it's goaltender was giving up a goal on every first shot. Is it surprising that we're coming out on the winning end more often when that has stopped happening?

This disaster of a season is just a "hiccup" according to you lol.

McDavid putting up nearly a goal per game and nearly 2 points per game this month. Yes, he's the reason why we're winning games.

And still trying to argue about cap with the Oilers sitting with the 3rd lowest cap hit in the league.

Clueless as usual.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

McDavid putting up nearly a goal per game and nearly 2 points per game this month. Yes, he's the reason why we're winning games.

And still trying to argue about cap with the Oilers sitting with the 3rd lowest cap hit in the league.

Clueless as usual.

McDavid is the biggest reason of course but I'd say the vast improvement of the PK, Talbot and the defense is a big factor too.
However, still not getting much scoring beyond the 1st line which is a problem, obviously.

I know Aberg is playing fairly well but Drai needs better wingers, at least a legit LW if they are intent on giving Aberg a shot on the right side. Drai isn't helping matters either, he has been putrid over the last 5 games or so outside of that 4 point game and I think it's an effort issue moreso than just not playing well.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Clueless as usual.
No this season has been an unmitigated disaster due to internal regression at a level that no one could've predicted. A historically bad PK. Yeah, that's on Chiarelli. :rolleyes: Taylor Hall never would've let this happen.

And thank you for supporting you cluelessness regarding the salary cap--it still exists next year in case you were wondering.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No this season has been an unmitigated disaster due to internal regression that no one could've predicted. A historically bad PK. Yeah, that's on Chiarelli. Taylor Hall never would've let this happen.

Chia deserves a lot of the blame for what's happened this season. The defense suffered because of Sekera's absence (he never found a replacement), the goaltending suffered (never found an adequate backup to jump in and stem the tide just in case Talbot struggled) and didn't replace Eberle's production (could have signed a stopgap like Vanek). Internal regression was a big part of team regression but Chia depended entirely too much on internal progression.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chia deserves a lot of the blame for what's happened this season. The defense suffered because of Sekera's absence (he never found a replacement), the goaltending suffered (never found an adequate backup to jump in and stem the tide just in case Talbot struggled) and didn't replace Eberle's production (could have signed a stopgap like Vanek). Internal regression was a big part of team regression but Chia depended entirely too much on internal progression.
That's valid but there's a caveat to addressing those issues beyond this season, which needs to be taken into account. What was available out there this summer? And what was available out there on a one year deal?

Last summer was challenging because the team was tying up their two franchise forwards and ultimately locking up a significant portion of their available cap in 2018/19. Any long-term deals signed this summer were going to have significant ramifications on our future ability to add salary. That's including the Russell deal, which the same people seem to have a significant issue with. Sounds like it's damned if you do, damned if you don't now, doesn't it?

This season was sink or swim with much of the group who had success last season. We could've spent futures, made salary commitments, signed ridiculous FAs to try and squeak in. You can fault the GM there. But ultimately, would that have even been worth it? There were a lot of things that went wrong this season. I'm not convinced a couple FA signings would've prevented them from occurring.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No this season has been an unmitigated disaster due to internal regression at a level that no one could've predicted. A historically bad PK. Yeah, that's on Chiarelli. :rolleyes: Taylor Hall never would've let this happen.

And thank you for supporting you cluelessness regarding the salary cap--it still exists next year in case you were wondering.

Losing Eberle was the key difference according to some...

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
That's valid but there's a caveat to addressing those issues beyond this season, which needs to be taken into account. What was available out there this summer? And what was available out there on a one year deal?

Sekera stop-gap: Beauchemin
Backup: Kuemper
Winger: Vanek

All signed one-year deals this summer. $3.6M total salary- coincidentally, the difference in cap hit between Eberle and Strome.

Chiarelli had plenty of opportunities to do his job. He didn't. That's on him.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Last summer was challenging because the team was tying up their two franchise forwards and ultimately locking up a significant portion of their available cap in 2018/19. Any long-term deals signed this summer were going to have significant ramifications on our future ability to add salary. That's including the Russell deal, which the same people seem to have a significant issue with. Sounds like it's damned if you do, damned if you don't now, doesn't it?

This season was sink or swim with much of the group who had success last season. We could've spent futures, made salary commitments, signed ridiculous FAs to try and squeak in. You can fault the GM there. But ultimately, would that have even been worth it? There were a lot of things that went wrong this season. I'm not convinced a couple FA signings would've prevented them from occurring.

That's the GMs job, to find those players and what he did was create all this cap space to no purpose. I, as a fan, don't know who was available and who would be the right fit, that's what he's paid to do. They needed to build on last season and this season should have been used as a springboard to bigger success and instead, he treated it as somewhat of a rebuild depending too heavily on internal growth.

I didn't mind the Eberle deal, I didn't mind the Pouliot buyout but he did absolutely nothing with that extra available cap space. They threw Puljujarvi in the top 6 attempting to replace Eberle, they assumed that Letestu would sustain an unsustainable PP pace, they assumed that Benning was ready to assume a bigger role, they assumed that Cagguila was ready to take the next step and they assumed that Talbot could have played virtually every game once again at a very high level. Too many assumptions, that's depending on too many things to go perfectly right. In fairness to Chia, it was impossible to predict this much regression from mostly everybody at once but he should have done something this offseason to mitigate that potential regression and quite frankly, he did nothing and still has all this available cap space that will all be for nothing as the cap crunch looms starting next season.

When you miss the playoffs 2 out of 3 years with the best player in the league, management and coaching should be at the forefront of blame for that. It's inexcusable. Now, the Oilers have limited resources to add to the roster without subtracting from it to bring in that addition. Next season will heavily depend on a lot of players bouncing back.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sorry...first goal. I got the two mixed up. Both were caused by good LA pressure though.
It was caused by good pressure but Larsson wasn't the one who turned the puck over. He was the 3rd last Oiler to touch the puck...

Goal was caused mainly by poor goaltending and lack of forward support/ability to win a puck battle.

Reactions: ujju2

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I’m curious what some of you will say when Chia does nothing this summer and we’re out of contention by January again next year. Can’t be be terrible the GM right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad