Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Kings 2 - McPoints 2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The problem is I think Talbot overperformed last year, I don't know if he can replicate that again for a full season.

He's a good guy but he's not like a superstar goalie ala Price, Lundqvist, etc. but that's how he played for this team last year.

You can't rely on Cam to do that every year and when he can't, the D gets exposed for being crappy.
Statistically it is this year that is the anomaly for him. His lowest sv% in any year was .917 in his first year here where the team was a nightmare defensively. His number in NY were better that his numbers here in 2014-2015 when he kept the Rangers in the hunt while Lundquist was out for an extended period.

Reactions: nabob and belair

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Statistically it is this year that is the anomaly for him. His lowest sv% in any year was .917 in his first year here where the team was a nightmare defensively. His number in NY were better that his numbers here in 2014-2015 when he kept the Rangers in the hunt while Lundquist was out for an extended period.

It's hard to know because he doesn't have much of a track record as a starter.

He had a better save percentage in 2015-16, but was still not that great.

16-17 obviously he has an all world season.

17-18 he has a bad season.

My personal guess is to temper things and hope for 15-16 Talbot next year, not necessarily a Vezina candidate but better than this year.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Goaltenders fluctuate. Carey Price is near the bottom of the league and Braden Holtby is losing starts to Grubauer.

Cam Talbot will likely finish in the .910 range as a 15-20 starter in the league. If that's a down season, he's probably a keeper.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's hard to know because he doesn't have much of a track record as a starter.

He had a better save percentage in 2015-16, but was still not that great.

16-17 obviously he has an all world season.

17-18 he has a bad season.

My personal guess is to temper things and hope for 15-16 Talbot next year, not necessarily a Vezina candidate but better than this year.

He has started 3 years here and played nearly half a season in his last year in NY with essentially a starter's responsibilities. The only bad season he has had is this one and the last 8 games he has been pretty much back to how he played previously. So while there are no guarantees I think that one can expect Talbot is more likely to be closer to his 2016-2017 version than to this year.

With his sv% being the same as it was in 2015-2016 the Oilers give up 17 less goals. That probably translates to 5-6 more wins without any improvement on the pp. That puts them between 83-85 points. Add in even average results from the back-ups and this team is in the hunt.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He has started 3 years here and played nearly half a season in his last year in NY with essentially a starter's responsibilities. The only bad season he has had is this one and the last 8 games he has been pretty much back to how he played previously. So while there are no guarantees I think that one can expect Talbot is more likely to be closer to his 2016-2017 version than to this year.

With his sv% being the same as it was in 2015-2016 the Oilers give up 17 less goals. That probably translates to 5-6 more wins without any improvement on the pp. That puts them between 83-85 points. Add in even average results from the back-ups and this team is in the hunt.

Save percentage is a bit of a misleading stat because it treats all shots as basically equal. Cam had almost the same save percentage in 15-16 as he did in 16-17, but he was waaaaaaaay better in 16-17.

To me he's had 1 good year here and two mediocre/underwhelming seasons here. It's also easy for save % to become skewed if you have a bad team that allows a fair amount of shots against, you can stat pad a bit.

But I suppose we don't really have much choice but to hope McDavid + Talbot can carry the team into the playoffs again next year. We don't have cap room to make signficant changes and the GM probably needs to realize he has to stop making trades because he's killing us.

It's gonna have to be the McDavid/Talbot show again if we want to go anywhere.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think having a top-notch backup will help a lot. If Chia yet again refuses to get a great, proven backup then I will be constantly yelling from my window to *fire his ass. You'd think he'd eventually learn, but he hasn't really proven that yet. (*I'd still like to see him gone after the season, but I just doubt it happens.)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Kuemper... was re-signed by the Coyotes almost as soon as he arrived in Arizona? Strike one.

Once again, you're inventing things. Beauchemin sold his home in Orange County back in '15. His off-season home was in Montreal. Strike two.

If he was really the "biggest flop", it shouldn't have been hard for Chiarelli to convince him to sign, right? Strike three, and another perfect example of Nabob's Law.

Yes, it's convenient to bring up players who would have helped. It also would have been convenient- some would say "expected"- for Chiarelli to have pursued them or players like them to sign in an effort to improve his team.

Instead, his best chess move was to sign Auvitu. Real good stuff.

And he's been a sub .900 goalie in Arizona. Guess I should have said luck to be in the league next year. Unless you're trying to say Arizona has made good moves with goalies the last while and we should be jealous of that...

He said himself that he considers it his second home. He loves it there. Like he said it was Anaheim or retirement. But keep blaming Chia for not forcing him to sign here. Surprised that someone who claims to know everything, didn't know that.

Once again you can't force a UFA to sign with your team.

You're failing badly to even point out on realistic option Chia had to improve the team in the offseason when there were tons of them. I'm not saying he didn't fail, far from that. Just that your points are pathetic uses of cherry picking and hindsight with the inability to blame anyone but Chia. You want to use baseball analogies...you're getting no hit here, not even making contact.

You can't prove anything you're saying that he should have done wasn't attempted, you can't prove anything I have said isn't true. All you're doing is being petty and trying to insult me rather than prove my points wrong. You're posting out of pure emotion and dislike for Chia and projecting that.

Last edited:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
So much defending of a guy whose team is going to miss the playoffs by 20 points with the best player in the world on an ELC.

Just shocking to me.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So much defending of a guy whose team is going to miss the playoffs by 20 points with the best player in the world on an ELC.

Just shocking to me.

Defending him? Or looking for actual criticism that isn't cherry picked hindsight? Something that takes more thought than saying he should have signed and traded for x,y,z because they're doing great this year, while totally ignoring the things that have gone with the player and coaches we have.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Just shocking to me.
There is a difference between defending him and blindly hating him, lots of reasons to dislike chia, but some of the stuff being posted in here is comical.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is what’s going to happen. Rattie, Bear and Aberg will finish the season hot. Chia will think he found his PP QB and top 6 RWs for next season and will proceed to only make a few minor signings which will also force Yamamoto and the 2018 1st into the lineup.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Defending him? Or looking for actual criticism that isn't cherry picked hindsight? Something that takes more thought than saying he should have signed and traded for x,y,z because they're doing great this year, while totally ignoring the things that have gone with the player and coaches we have.

Very little is hindsight

I remember reacting the same for all 3 of these deals when they happened

Hall for Larsson
16th for Reinhart
Eberle for Strome

The reaction: we've clearly lost the trade.

I was in my fantasy league's chat room for a draft party and specifically reacting like "OMG THE BRUINS DIDNT TAKE BARZAL!! YESS"
What's more embarrassing? That they traded the pick for a bust, or that they would have taken Eriksson-Ek if not? Trust me, it's not fun knowing us fans have a better grasp on player value than the millionaire management team that are in charge of making these calls.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
This is what’s going to happen. Rattie, Bear and Aberg will finish the season hot. Chia will think he found his PP QB and top 6 RWs for next season and will proceed to only make a few minor signings which will also force Yamamoto and the 2018 1st into the lineup.
Why wouldn't Dahlin be in the lineup?

Reactions: McShogun99

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Very little is hindsight

I remember reacting the same for all 3 of these deals when they happened

Hall for Larsson
16th for Reinhart
Eberle for Strome

The reaction: we've clearly lost the trade.

I was in my fantasy league's chat room for a draft party and specifically reacting like "OMG THE BRUINS DIDNT TAKE BARZAL!! YESS"
What's more embarrassing? That they traded the pick for a bust, or that they would have taken Eriksson-Ek if not? Trust me, it's not fun knowing us fans have a better grasp on player value than the millionaire management team that are in charge of making these calls.

He's not talking about those deals. He's whining about not signing guys like Beauchemin and Kuemper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad