Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Devils 2

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid lately hasn't seemed to have that jump I've come to expect from him.

Not sure if it's just a slump or a nagging injury but I'm pretty certain the rest of the league didn't suddenly learn how to deal with his speed.

Nice to win a a game where he didn't have to do the all the heavy lifting on his own but hopefully he bounces back soon.
It's weird, he looked like a completely different player in OT, and was actually skating by players with little effort.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, he definitely deserves a shot and we still need offense on the wings. Give him a chance!

His performance over everyone else in the minors thus far definitely earns him it. Hope they call him up. Would be nice to see how he would fare.
Shotout to good ol Malone though. Great 4th liner.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid lately hasn't seemed to have that jump I've come to expect from him.

Not sure if it's just a slump or a nagging injury but I'm pretty certain the rest of the league didn't suddenly learn how to deal with his speed.

Nice to win a a game where he didn't have to do the all the heavy lifting on his own but hopefully he bounces back soon.

I think some of you guys are overthinking McDavid right now. 18 points in 15 games, held off the scoresheet once in the past 8 games and just 3 times this season.

He might not be playing his best hockey right now, but he's still scoring at a ~100 point pace.

Reactions: Aerrol

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
One thing I thought was weird tonight was how often the Devils knocked down passes or corralled bouncing pucks. It was like they all borrowed Nik Lidstrom's hands for a night. Did anyone else see it this way?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I can't even imagine the level of frustration Slepyshev must be feeling right now. He just can't get healthy.

Every time he tries to get things going, his body betrays him.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Rob Brownlee saying that Stauffer “telegraphing Puljujarvi being called up on after hours show”

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Good win boys.

Mcdavid is still not human, despite not looking himself recently.

Wonder if something’s up.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Had to miss the game (just got the score/stats now). Looks like Talbot had another great game, ending with a 0.941 SV% on the night. Saw the McDavid set-up to Drai; that was ridiculous (in a good way). What a set up. Think Connor knew that both guys were on him, and to have the awareness that Drai was on his way. Just what a play. Also hope this means that the real Talbot is back. That would be even bigger than McDavid having another 100 point season, IMO. Need great goaltending to win, as you're just not going to score 4 (or 3, like tonight) every game.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
One thing I thought was weird tonight was how often the Devils knocked down passes or corralled bouncing pucks. It was like they all borrowed Nik Lidstrom's hands for a night. Did anyone else see it this way?

Ya their ice is pretty bad/bouncy and are probably a lot more used to it than the Oilers.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I can't even imagine the level of frustration Slepyshev must be feeling right now. He just can't get healthy.

Every time he tries to get things going, his body betrays him.
Same with Drizz. Neither can find a groove.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Love Hallsy, but seeing him getting angry as he skated back on the bench after his 2 on 1 failed with Hischier was one thing that I didn't miss about him.

This. Kinda wonder how that makes his teammates feel. I get the passion and heart, but is that really a signal you wanna be sending to your rookie?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Lucic doesn't have to skate fast when he has the puck. Opposing players respect his personal space. It is as if he is skating around in a two foot bubble. Case in point. When he gave his stick away during the Islander game and the puck came to him he caught it in his skates. Took his time and kicked it to a teammate. No Islander player even charged him. 99% of the players in the NHL would be picking themselves off the ice as players dug for the puck.

Beats up goons, gets around 50 points. Plus player. Protects his friends. Thank goodness he is going nowhere.
Big liability in OT.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
PK came up big.
RNH looked great, maybe he can get his offensive mojo back. Outstanding in OT.
Lucic had a good game. I sometimes forget what a good wrister he has.
Slepy had a beauty but, man, he cannot catch a break.
Drai and McDavid were Drai and McDavid in OT.
Talbot, solid.
Not without flaws but better than last game. Maybe they can put together a string here.

Reactions: Aerrol

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Another gritty road win. I don't know why the refs decided to put away the whistles after letting NJ gain the PP advantage on a few marginal calls.

Big game by the second line and then the big money players won it in OT. Both Hall and Larsson had strong games (I'm sure it's a coincidence that the main board thread died down after Larsson had two strong games against the Devils). Each team received the type of player they wanted in that trade.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
His performance over everyone else in the minors thus far definitely earns him it. Hope they call him up. Would be nice to see how he would fare.
Shotout to good ol Malone though. Great 4th liner.
Malone looks like a guy determined to stay in the NHL. Smart player, lots of jump. I didn't think anything of this signing. Seems like a good add so far.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Love Hallsy, but seeing him getting angry as he skated back on the bench after his 2 on 1 failed with Hischier was one thing that I didn't miss about him.
Yeah, that wasn't good on Hall, bonehead play by the kid not just finishing it but he's respecting hall so much he tries to pass it back. Its what you get playing on a young squad. Hall has to be better on the bench there. Somebody else was consoling Hersheyer right? (I'm not even going to try to spell the name. )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad