Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Devils 2

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
That was fun.

I'm amazed how NHL players can play with things like an injured groin. You kinda need that body part to skate. I'd be on the couch watching on TV, Slepy toughs it out long enough to score a goal.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Very happy to come away with two points after the terrible start they had to the game.

Getting their PK back on track won them the game tonight.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
And thank gods Mclennan didn't make Lucic an OT goat. Takes a lot of speed to recover after any turnover 3-on3 and to force possession back to your side.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah, that wasn't good on Hall, bonehead play by the kid not just finishing it but he's respecting hall so much he tries to pass it back. Its what you get playing on a young squad. Hall has to be better on the bench there. Somebody else was consoling Hersheyer right? (I'm not even going to try to spell the name. )

It's that kind of attitude that hurt the team here. Guys like Yak, maybe even Nuge etc lose confidence in themselves when you got a guy like Hall on your team criticizing and making frustrated gestures etc at you trying to play the game as you see fit. They start to second guess their on instincts and become paralyzed and their game deteriorates. Those kinds of guys are the WORST to have on your team.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
It's that kind of attitude that hurt the team here. Guys like Yak, maybe even Nuge etc lose confidence in themselves when you got a guy like Hall on your team criticizing and making frustrated gestures etc at you trying to play the game as you see fit. They start to second guess their on instincts and become paralyzed and their game deteriorates. Those kinds of guys are the WORST to have on your team.
Don't let them off the hook, it's not Hall's fault they lost all skill and drive for a while. Especially not from "gestures".

Reactions: booyakasha

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Don't let them off the hook, it's not Hall's fault they lost all skill and drive for a while. Especially not from "gestures".

you're right it's not all on Hall but it doesn't help when you have guys doing that. it makes you second guess yourself and grip your stick tight. you begin to fear that trying to make plays in fear you make a bad one. it really messes with your mind and confidence. and sure those affected may not be the strongest mentally but still. that's being a bad teammate when you do that kind of cr@p Hall does.

Reactions: tinfish

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
at this point the team should call both Rattie and Pulj up.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Drai
Lucic-Nuge-Rattie/Pulj
Kassian-Strome-Rattie/Pulj
Malone-Letestu-Pak/Jokinen

looks way more appealing than what they could potentially be icing against the Rangers. Maybe these young guys can follow Malone and look actually hungry out there.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Huge huge win ! Back to back wins !

Oilers are only four points out of a playoff spot :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
you're right it's not all on Hall but it doesn't help when you have guys doing that. it makes you second guess yourself and grip your stick tight. you begin to fear that trying to make plays in fear you make a bad one. it really messes with your mind and confidence. and sure those affected may not be the strongest mentally but still. that's being a bad teammate when you do that kind of cr@p Hall does.

It just feels like crap when you get that reaction, as a young player, from the top player of your team. We've seen that one before. It is fair commentary that its an ugly bit of halls game to be showing that kind of disgust.

Reactions: GameChanger

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
That depends, it is not all one-sided though. He reacts like that because he wants to score/win, which is not a bad thing. Of course that kind of on-ice behaviour is not very helpful, especially with rookies, but it all comes down how it is handled later on by himself and/or others. And seeing as NJD seem to be happy with him and he got an A I would assume he can address it with Hischier after the game.

Reactions: GameChanger

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Oh wow. Loved the ot goal. McJesus is unfair at 3v3.

Also RNH is looking very good to me. Some swagger on ot.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He got hauled down multiple times. Second, third and OT. Like he does every game. And it's never called.
McDavid's penalties drawn are down by about 0.2 penalties per game this year. Too early to tell if that has any meaning, but given the increase in penalties league wide its a bit ridiculous that his numbers have decreased. Refs rarely seem to call any stick work against him this year so far.

Reactions: Aerrol

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Oh wow. Loved the ot goal. McJesus is unfair at 3v3.

Also RNH is looking very good to me. Some swagger on ot.

How the f*** does Maroon miss the net on that setup. Ridiculous. That's twice he's burnt Nuge by missing ridiculously easy goals. He even burned Draisaitl the other day too. Maroon has been fine but he's got to pot some of these high quality chances he's getting setup with.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
at this point the team should call both Rattie and Pulj up.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Drai
Lucic-Nuge-Rattie/Pulj
Kassian-Strome-Rattie/Pulj
Malone-Letestu-Pak/Jokinen

looks way more appealing than what they could potentially be icing against the Rangers. Maybe these young guys can follow Malone and look actually hungry out there.

With both Drake and Anton out that just might happen.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It just feels like crap when you get that reaction, as a young player, from the top player of your team. We've seen that one before. It is fair commentary that its an ugly bit of halls game to be showing that kind of disgust.

absolutely. that bad feeling sticks with you and affects your game going forward. I'm glad there was another teammate on the bench that tried to console the poor kid after Hall's bit of tantrum. Confidence is a finicky thing. It can spiral downwards very quickly with the simplest things that start the downward trend. Hall just being a terrible teammate there. Get mad if the effort isn't there but not at something like that. As an assistant captain he needed to just calmly have a positive talk with the kid afterwards.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It was night here and I finally went to bed after the 2nd period. Glad to see they managed to get the points in the 3rd perioid and OT.

I still don't quite get how come a win in OT and especially shootout gives you the maximum amount of points in the NHL, but at least the Oilers have utilized this questionable rule lately.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He got hauled down multiple times. Second, third and OT. Like he does every game. And it's never called.

That could be something that's affecting him? Maybe he feels like the zebras don't respect him, and it's getting to him a bit? Not saying I believe it at all, but just throwing that out there. Could be just a little bit dejected from getting hauled down all the time with no calls. I couldn't watch the game tonight, so I'm not sure how egregious the non-calls were (if indeed there were any), or well of a game Connor played.

I guess the same thing happened with Crosby in his first few years, too. Though he went down to the ice...much easier during that time, let's just say. Starting next or the year after, I think Connor starts getting most of those calls. I think the zebras want young players/stars to earn respect first (and doesn't matter what your name is), then they'll give them the call, and I guess that takes a few years? God only knows. Just throwing another probably nothing comment out there for the hell of it.

Anyone who knows me would say I'm a very strong willed (or stubborn) person, who is the most competitive person they know when I play any sport. I'm always going 100% of the time, no matter what. I have friends with whom have yet to beat me in tennis after probably 70-80 games. I don't care. My point is, if that were me out there getting tripped all the time, game after game, and getting no calls, I'd be frustrated, too. Not that I'm trying to compare myself to McDavid in some grandiose way -- exactly the opposite. Just the two things: he's a strong-willed, incredibly competitive guy, and I know exactly how it feels to be that kind of guy. If you feel you're being cheated over and over again, eventually it will get to anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaGu and Aerrol

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Was out watching the game, what a win. Exactly what we needed.

Nice to see this team showing some resolve. We are no longer dead in the water when we allow the first goal.

Nuge & Nurse have both been excellent this season. Bring it every game. Those two need to put together a powerpoint for the rest of the team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Big win, back to back wins, Nuge was tremendous, Looch was huge, hopefully we can take the game on Saturday against the Rangers since the Caps seem to have our number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad