Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Manson is very unlikely to be moved. He can play in the Ducks top 4 while costing under $1M for the next two seasons, for a budget team that makes him more valuable to us than he would be in a trade.

Despres is a LHD but plays his best on the right side. He's much more likely to be available, and it would be a buy low situation for you guys due to his concussion concerns. If he's back to being healthy you would have a young top 4 dman for a lot cheaper than what you would normally pay.

Montour would be tough to part with unless we are adding to get some established yet affordable scoring help, basically that means Miller or bust from my perspective.

I love the idea of adding Depres. That guy is awesome. Would immedaitely give us 7 NHL dmen that would be able to function (assuming Staal can bounce back):

McDonagh
Klein
Depres
Skjei
McIlrath
Holden
Staal

And then these guys:

Clendenning (he will get his shot since he isn't waiver exempt)
Paliotta (will be sent down early since he is waiver exempt)
Girardi (will get his shot because he's been with the organization forever)

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I love the idea of adding Depres. That guy is awesome. Would immedaitely give us 6 NHL dmen that would be able to function:

McDonagh
Klein
Depres
Skjei
Holden
Staal

And then these guys:

Mcilrath?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
IMO it's that Buch has played in a pro mens league for several seasons now, second best league in the world, and while there are differences in the style of play, his skill level and development should be up to the jump, though it may definitely take him a bit to settle in completely. There's "ready to play in the NHL and start learning" which is different than "ready to jump in and make a huge impact", I think Buch is ready to start learning

With Vesey, he's older, he's played 4 years of college, he has the body size and game style that's translatable, it's just about experience at the NHL level now.

IMO there's no substitute for learning at the NHL level...you can't learn how to play NHL hockey at the AHL level. A guy can go tear up the AHL but still look like a learning rookie at the NHL level because the gap is big

Yeah. I mean, there are some questions about a college player's endurance over a long season, and that's understandable. No doubt, for both of them, the season will have its ups and downs.

I just don't think that any of this depth signing is primarily about hedging their bets on these two guys. I do think it's more about being comfortable making a trade and hedging against injuries.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The guy I feel sorry for here in Marek Hrvik. I wonder if he regrets resigned and not heading to Europe. I think the guy has the skill set to be a pretty effective 4th line player but with some many others ahead of him on the depth chart, seeing him this year doesn't appear likely.

Yeah, completely with you on this. Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded or hit unconditional waivers for a mutual contract termination.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Let's not forget the D is all screwy as it is you've got 5 lefties 3 righties. You actually went out and dealt for another lefty in Holden who played 21 plus a night for Colorado he's no spare part for us.

Something big is coming

Holden was overused in Colorado and shouldn't get those minutes here, but I agree it's an interesting move to sign him. Still wonder if the Rangers are thinking of playing Skjei on the right since he was groomed there last year and saw some time in big games at the end of the season. It might not be their favorite move but I still see it as an option on their radar...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Holden was overused in Colorado and shouldn't get those minutes here, but I agree it's an interesting move to sign him. Still wonder if the Rangers are thinking of playing Skjei on the right since he was groomed there last year and saw some time in big games at the end of the season. It might not be their favorite move but I still see it as an option on their radar...

I thought Holden plays both sides, as well.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, completely with you on this. Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded or hit unconditional waivers for a mutual contract termination.

Nah I think they keep him and tell him "look you're our #1 callup if these guys don't produce or there are injuries. If not, we'll see if we can move you somewhere during the season.

He's still depth, he just needs to not be blocked by Tanner Glass of all people

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I love the idea of adding Depres. That guy is awesome. Would immedaitely give us 6 NHL dmen that would be able to function:

McDonagh
Klein
Depres
Skjei
Holden
Staal

And then these guys:

Would something around Despres and Lindberg makes sense?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Would something around Despres and Lindberg makes sense?

Lindberg is injured until further notice. If he were to be traded, it would be during the season after recovery. Not beforehand.

Unless, of course, he comes back early from injury.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Nah I think they keep him and tell him "look you're our #1 callup if these guys don't produce or there are injuries. If not, we'll see if we can move you somewhere during the season.

He's still depth, he just needs to not be blocked by Tanner Glass of all people

Is he their #1 callup though? If nothing else changes, I think he's 11th or 12th on the winger depth chart.

Nash Zuccarello Kreider Miller Vesey Buchnevich Pirri Fast Grabner Gerbe

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lindberg is injured until further notice. If he were to be traded, it would be during the season after recovery. Not beforehand.

Unless, of course, he comes back early from injury.

Ah ok, I knew about the offseason surgery but for some reason I thought he was clear for camp. Both having injury concerns was part of the reasoning for the suggestion.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
There are a multitude of better offensive options than Fast. He also produced like a mediocre 3rd liner when playing alongside the best offensive players this team has. I;m remain unconvinced of these offensive capabilities you speak of. Frankly, both Gerbe and Grabner are better offensive options than Fast.

30% of Fasths goals last year were empty netters...17% the year before..

the guy has 16 goals in 148GP. I like Fasth a lot as a 4th liner...honestly if he only played on the 4th line id very much want to keep him...but playign him up and down the lineup really pisses me off because he just seems to....just like....be there...he doesnt kill the line, he doesnt help the line...hes just...there.

he works really hard though, and there is something to be said for that. as an energy 4th liner, hes perfect.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
cam fowler sucks...i literally wouldnt want him on this team for free...im not sure what the infatuation with him is.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Agreed shouldn't be playing those mins but he's far from a spare part. Legit NHL dman good pker should be on our third pairing.

Skjei right now would have to play the right side which is what I mean things are very screwy

I think we're far from done right now.

You look at the Jets they've got nothing behind wheeler and Ehlers on the wing as far as im concerned. Lot of of question marks.

could use a lefty D too

Trouba should definitely be on the radar

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
cam fowler sucks...i literally wouldnt want him on this team for free...im not sure what the infatuation with him is.

Ah, I see we have a hero chart scout. I'm not going to bother engaging in this ridiculous argument again, thanks to the reasonable fans here allowing me to take part in your discussion.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Each year, because of injuries, we seem to be reduced to calling up career AHLers like Jason Megna, to fill in for a few games.

This year, if no trades are forthcoming, we have the depth to use legit NHLers as injury fill ins. Some of these guys, like Gerbe and Pirri, can "play up" and fill roles in the top 6 for a short stretch of games.

Doesn't apply to defense however: I can also tell when we are depth depleted when we need to call up Chris Summers.

The guy I feel sorry for here in Marek Hrvik. I wonder if he regrets resigned and not heading to Europe. I think the guy has the skill set to be a pretty effective 4th line player but with some many others ahead of him on the depth chart, seeing him this year doesn't appear likely.

Hrivik and Fast might be trade candidates for 4th line jobs with other organizations

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I think there's the hope that in a reduced role he could do a lot better and the "eye test" and advanced stats discrepancy that Anaheim fans claim there is could be reconciled in a positive way.

Personally, he's a left D and the Rangers don't need that.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ah, I see we have a hero chart scout. I'm not going to bother engaging in this ridiculous argument again, thanks to the reasonable fans here allowing me to take part in your discussion.
he sucks. U can make all the excuses u want..but unless you're taking a wonder twin back, I wouldn't want him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Agreed shouldn't be playing those mins but he's far from a spare part. Legit NHL dman good pker should be on our third pairing.

Skjei right now would have to play the right side which is what I mean things are very screwy

You look at the Jets they've got nothing behind wheeler and Ehlers on the wing as far as im concerned. Lot of of question marks.

could use a lefty D too

Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine are probably top 10 prospects leaguewide. They'll fill out the other top 6 spots. Agree that LHD is a need for them. Stuart and Enstrom suck.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think there's the hope that in a reduced role he could do a lot better and the "eye test" and advanced stats discrepancy that Anaheim fans claim there is could be reconciled in a positive way.

Personally, he's a left D and the Rangers don't need that.

Why would you trade an asset of worth to your current team for a player that needs a confluence of things not to suck?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Manson is very unlikely to be moved. He can play in the Ducks top 4 while costing under $1M for the next two seasons, for a budget team that makes him more valuable to us than he would be in a trade.

Despres is a LHD but plays his best on the right side. He's much more likely to be available, and it would be a buy low situation for you guys due to his concussion concerns. If he's back to being healthy you would have a young top 4 dman for a lot cheaper than what you would normally pay.

Montour would be tough to part with unless we are adding to get some established yet affordable scoring help, basically that means Miller or bust from my perspective.

Montour+2nd for Miller works for us.

Is it Montour for Miller straight up or bust for you guys?

I think Miller has more value than Montour. Montour is what Miller was a few years ago, a highly rated, but not elite prospect. Miller has turned into a top 6 NHL player, Montour could turn into a top 4D. I don't feel like it makes sense to trade a young top 6 forward for a top 4D prospect, unless there's something added in. I like the idea of a Miller for Montour trade as the base, but there needs to be more in it for the Rangers to make the commitment to trade the proven commodity for prospect.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

could use a lefty D too

Right, I'd expect Holden to be tabbed for a 3rd pairing spot and hopefully some good PKing. Skjei on the right side isn't very screwy IMO because they've obviously been working on prepping him for that for the last year. Not sure if that's where he ends up playing but I think they want to be comfortable with that option.

Agreed they're not done, don't really see the left D need though unless Staal is moved. Trouba should be on the radar but not for any cost...

e: I see you mean "need a lefty D" to apply to The Peg

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
there is a known negative effect, both statistical and the eye test, to playing your off side as a defenseman. one has to wonder is the marginal improvement of playing Skjei on the right side versus the left, better than simply playing him on the strong side and someone else on the right...i guess in this case, with Girardi being the other defenseman there...it probably is better to play skjei on his off side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad