Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Girardi is from Welland. It's possible he's there or near there with family for the summer. Buffalo is like a 30 minute drive from Welland. He probably just wants to skate with NHLers.

RB, why you do this?

*inb4someonereadsthispostandthinksitmakesmoresensehellwaivetoBuffalobecauseitsclosertohome*

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Amazing how many people conveniently overlook this point. Gorton has done an AMAZING job positioning the team for 2017-2018. About the only thing that could screw it up would be a shortsighted move geared towards the current season. Stay patient, execute a couple more deals over the next 8-10 months... This organization could be set for half a decade.

(And the funny thing is that in the interim they'll still be much more fun to watch than last year's sinking ship.)

This is SO true. It's not about winning this year--it's about being ready for 2017-18.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I fully agree.

Someone here suggested Zuccarello + Klein + 2nd for Honka, Nichushkin + Hemsky. That would make a lot of sense and here's why:

• We have a log-jam at defense and have McIlrath and Skjei probably playing the entire season. Honka will be either in the AHL or make the team because of his talent.
  • Hemsky replaces Zuccarello and is a free agent in 2017, clearing cap space to re-sign Zibanejad
  • Nichushkin can play top-6 minutes on this team while Dallas has all bases covered with Benn, Hemsky/Zuccarello, Sharp and Hudler.
  • Klein gives them an NHL-ready D-man at a very reasonable cap-hit for another 2 years, after losing Russell, Goligoski and Demers

Great post, AK! :)

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
This is SO true. It's not about winning this year--it's about being ready for 2017-18.

Absolutely, while remaining competitive, that's a big plus. He's setting the tone and the culture of Rangers Hockey. However, I'm very surprised AV can tolerate this lack of defensive depth, his blue-line in VAN was absolutely *SICK* and was always stacked.

Any ideas of what may happen next off-season?

Staal moved for assets?
Girardi bought out?
Shattenkirk pursued?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Absolutely, while remaining competitive, that's a big plus. He's setting the tone and the culture of Rangers Hockey. However, I'm very surprised AV can tolerate this lack of defensive depth, his blue-line in VAN was absolutely *SICK* and was always stacked.

Any ideas of what may happen next off-season?

Staal moved for assets?
Girardi bought out?
Shattenkirk pursued?

I have no doubt Shattenkirk will be pursued next summer, and he will pursue the rangers as well. But Gorton wont get into a bidding war for him. If he wants to come home and play as badly as people say he does, take 6 years below 6AAV.

Staal will be better this season than he was last year.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I have no doubt Shattenkirk will be pursued next summer, and he will pursue the rangers as well. But Gorton wont get into a bidding war for him. If he wants to come home and play as badly as people say he does, take 6 years below 6AAV.

As will Girardi. I know this because I don't think it is possible for him to be any worse than he was last year.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
As will Girardi. I know this because I don't think it is possible for him to be any worse than he was last year.

Well that, plus Girardi must be used as a 3rd pairing 5-on-5/2nd PK guy. If he's used correctly, I do think he can be an above average 3rd pairing Dman.

Staal I think can get back to a top 4 shut down D man, if played partnered with the correct guy.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Corey Pronman has Buchnevich rated #30 and Vesey #82 in his top 120 NHL prospects. Pronman is less confident than he was last year about Buchnevich becoming a top flight player. He didn't like the season Buchnevich had in the KHL. He still believes Buchnevich can be a quality player. Saarela is #68. The Rangers Russian goalie Ilya Shesterkin was ranked #10 for goalies out of 15. Halverson was not ranked.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Corey Pronman has Buchnevich rated #30 and Vesey #82 in his top 120 NHL prospects. Pronman is less confident than he was last year about Buchnevich becoming a top flight player. He didn't like the season Buchnevich had in the KHL. He still believes Buchnevich can be a quality player.

Hard to not dislike how his time in SKA went. It was kind of rough.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

i'd go 6/6 on Shatty. Would be better than giving Yandle 6/6

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
When did long contracts start becoming a "thing"? Seems to me that offering a premier free agent anything less than 5 years is a non-starter in today's NHL.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
When did long contracts start becoming a "thing"? Seems to me that offering a premier free agent anything less than 5 years is a non-starter in today's NHL.

I don't know. There has been little evidence that they work out in the teams favor but when the competition for a player is high you really don't have any choice.

Would I trade for and then give Shattenkirk 7x7? Depends. Is Girardi or Staal still on the team? Have we moved Rick Nash? What do we have to give up for Shatty?

I can't see Gorton paying Armstrong's ridiculous asking price.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Current status of HFNYR:

No contracts that take players over the age of 32

I wouldn't mind giving it to a player like Yandle, since that type of defenseman is more durable. Shattenkirk focuses more on defense, gets more defensive zone starts and that takes its toll after all these years. Do we really want to go through this again? People were celebrating in the streets after the Staal signing. Now, 1 year later, nobody likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad