Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
This is all Hugh Jessiman's fault, this whole what if thing started with him. The 6 degrees of Hugh Jessiman

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It has been literally 2 years. Can we have a separate thread for Stralman talk? It is very irrelevant to the topic and purpose to the thread.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Minnesota has Spurgeon and Dumba, and barely and caproom. Don't see how Klein fits

Minnesota is 12 forwards deep with enough cap space to fit both Lindberg and Fast. Currenty guys like Dalpe, Shroeder, Stewert, and Pominville make up that top 12 for a wanna be contender.

That's with Mikko Koivu, and the same management team.

Throw Klein in there:

Get their "Wildcard" in Dumba.

Balance it out on both sides.

Suter, who has plenty of clout, complained about not having a RHD partner to play with.

This includes both Dumba and Spurgeon. Hockey sense and size respectively.

Klein becomes Suter's 5v5 partner. They know each other well from their Nahsville days.

Spurgeon has a higher cap hit.

Rangers get the guy Minnesota management is getting impatient with.

Dumba is a Ed Jovonovski imo. Except RH. Awesome all around physical talent, but the hockey IQ doesn't match the athleticism.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think the Rangers will be trading Zuccarello and Nash at some point in the next year. That said, it should not be for a guy 1 year away from UFA and a huge payday like Shattenkirk. The Brassard trade is the template to what management is thinking, and Im all for it.

I fully agree.

Someone here suggested Zuccarello + Klein + 2nd for Honka, Nichushkin + Hemsky. That would make a lot of sense and here's why:

• We have a log-jam at defense and have McIlrath and Skjei probably playing the entire season. Honka will be either in the AHL or make the team because of his talent.
  • Hemsky replaces Zuccarello and is a free agent in 2017, clearing cap space to re-sign Zibanejad
  • Nichushkin can't play top-6 minutes on this team while Dallas has all bases covered with Benn, Hemsky/Zuccarello, Sharp and Hudler.
  • Klein gives them an NHL-ready D-man at a very reasonable cap-hit for another 2 years, after losing Russell, Goligoski and Demers

Last edited:

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
It has been literally 2 years. Can we have a separate thread for Stralman talk? It is very irrelevant to the topic and purpose to the thread.

It's true.

The way to make the talk go away for good is to fix the defense.

As long as people have to see Girardi & Staal performing poorly, getting big minutes, mindlessly swatting the puck to the opponent, they will wonder what might have been.

Right now the D is the one thing holding us back. If Gorton can do something about that, or if our young guys get a chance and make the wonder twins an afterthought, we'll have a good year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You surely have to be able to acknowledge that there is other positions for this club aside from strictly rebuild or win now.

the open mind in me wants to say yes, but factually,
RIGHT NOW,
there are no multiple options.

In a vacuum, yes, there are other positions
currently, we have to still pay for our past sins.

So NO, RIGHT NOW, NO WIN NOW
build
build some more
then MAYBE splurge
if it makes sense

Just to throw two other young RHD out there: would Carolina move Brett Pesce or would boston move Colin Miller?

Have been sayin for a while now,
Stepan and three Ranger 3s
for
Pesce, Murphy. cap dump Bickell, and 3 Cane 2nds [2 and return of NYR 2nd]

I fully agree.

Someone here suggested Zuccarello + Klein + 2nd for Honka, Nichushkin + Hemsky. That would make a lot of sense and here's why:

• We have a log-jam at defense and have McIlrath and Skjei probably playing the entire season. Honka will be either in the AHL or make the team because of his talent.
  • Hemsky replaces Zuccarello and is a free agent in 2017, clearing cap space to re-sign Zibanejad
  • Nichushkin can play top-6 minutes on this team while Dallas has all bases covered with Benn, Hemsky/Zuccarello, Sharp and Hudler.
  • Klein gives them an NHL-ready D-man at a very reasonable cap-hit for another 2 years, after losing Russell, Goligoski and Demers

prefer
trade Klein Lindberg and Fast
for
EDM 2018 1st, Yakimov and a decent prospect
{has to be 2018 cause Oiler 2nd this year already traded}

and then
Zuc and Raanta and Halverson and Andersson and Bernhardt
for
Gurianov, Honka and Nik and cap dump Hemsky
would be willing to add conditional pick based upon Nik performance

think those get us more
it squeezes Stars youth, and doesn't help on their immediate D improvement
however,
it solves immediate G issue, helps on future net improvement
and Zuc is serious upgrade on Hemsky

and we upgrade with prospects
after Hellberg for a coupla months, welcome back fully recovered Skapski

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
1 big flaw in your plan, actually 2, but I will point out the first one:

If we trade Raanta, we have no goalie to expose for the expansion draft.

The other ting, and for the love of god, please take my advice: Stop with the complete overhaul of trades. Prospect 1 plus prospect 2 plus prospect 3 plus 4th liner + backup goalie for a package that only works for us.

It doesn't work that way. You have to give if you want to get a good return.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

thanks for the critique
1 big flaw in your plan, actually 2, but I will point out the first one:
If we trade Raanta, we have no goalie to expose for the expansion draft.

do we not have Hellberg? hasn't he played last year and would also have games this upcoming season? Also, can we expose Raanta if he is, as is currently the case, a UFA? Wouldn't we have to extend him first?

The other ting, and for the love of god, please take my advice: Stop with the complete overhaul of trades. Prospect 1 plus prospect 2 plus prospect 3 plus 4th liner + backup goalie for a package that only works for us.

It doesn't work that way. You have to give if you want to get a good return.

I agree that a package, any package, that is clearly one sided, is counterproductive waste of time. Don't see that in my current props as to value and

as to item 2, I disagree that use of such structure is inherently one sided as I believe you are arguing.

In the instant example, Zuc, Raanta and Halverson are all serious adds. Bernhardt and Andersson are throw ins to mitigate vs Dallas surrendering a better F prospect (Gurianov) and D prospect (Honka).

In the Stepan package, I consider only an upgrade of twos from threes to be fair, given the established Stepan vs the becoming established Pesce (also factoring his exempt status) and Murphy a throw in [Bickel only a $ consideration].

I would argue both ARE balanced.
{Feel free to explain why if you disagree.}

Everybody could bypass this and possibly reduce the number of moving parts IF THERE WAS UNIVERSAL AGREEMENT ON THE VALUE OF PROSPECTS, which is subjective.

Though still imprecise, the flipping of picks is obviously more numerically driven less subjective.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
do we not have Hellberg? hasn't he played last year and would also have games this upcoming season? Also, can we expose Raanta if he is, as is currently the case, a UFA? Wouldn't we have to extend him first?

Raanta is signed until 2018.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Guys, stop being logical. Obviously, Murray traded for Girardi and got fleeced in the meantime.

Gorton is a wizard, after all. :naughty:

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
This would be absolutely unreal if he was able to unload Girardi, but I doubt that happened, he's probably skating with his buddies

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lord, take me now!

Come into his waiting arms.

yXFRub4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad