Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
We had no choice to buy out Richards after the rules were retroactively changed to include the recapture penalty. To this day that still pisses me off. If you take that out, it would just be Drury and Way Deadend as CBO's? Still not good by any means.

I think that's a little disingenuous. Richards' game went off a cliff as soon as he came to NY and was on a steady decline from there on out. He never came close to living up to the billing. Of the big name UFA's the Rangers chased after, only one of them really lived up to expectations and he was gone after 3 1/2 seasons.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That's a positive sign!

Girardi for Moulson incoming... lol

At 50% retained, I expect the return to be at least a 1st + Theodore + Manson + Silfverberg. Nash at 3.9m for 2 seasons is better value than Kane at 10.5m

Yeah not that much. You'd get Silfverberg and Theodore/Manson for Nash, and then the 1st for salary retention. Maybe another 2nd rounder thrown in, but that's about it

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I want to have what you're having, because Nash @50% doesn't get you that much.

Now, Nash @50% and Glass @50%, on the other hand... :naughty:

Jokes aside...

If they'd do it, I'd gladly send them something like Nash, Klein, a 3rd (or retain a bit on Nash), and a bottom-6 guy in Lindberg/Fast for that package, and, even then, I think we'd come out ahead. That helps us with our D and gives us another decent pick.

Kreider - Step - Zuccs
Buch - Zibby - Miller
Vesey - Hayes - Silfverberg
Grabner - Jooris - Fast/Lindberg
Pirri/Glass/Hrivik/Jensen

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Manson
Theodore - Skjei
Paliotta/Clendening

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think that's a little disingenuous. Richards' game went off a cliff as soon as he came to NY and was on a steady decline from there on out. He never came close to living up to the billing. Of the big name UFA's the Rangers chased after, only one of them really lived up to expectations and he was gone after 3 1/2 seasons.

There is no denying that. But, had the recapture penalty not went into effect I wonder if we would have bought him out at that point?

Anyways. I am anxious for the season to start and another move to be made.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Thank God August is almost over. Too many needless prognosticators around here. All this talk about what people would and wouldnt give Shattenkirk. A LOT can happen in 10 months with both the performance of the Rangers and Shattenkirk himself. The only way I can even conceivably see the Rangers trading for this guy in March is if the Rangers are one of the top 2-3 teams in the league. And even then I'd give pause because I cant see the Rangers having the pieces to acquire Shattenkirk without sending an important piece that got them to that point back in a trade.

Wait until July 1st, 2017. Sign the guy is the team is trending the right way and the price is right. Thats really all the Rangers can do

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There is no denying that. But, had the recapture penalty not went into effect I wonder if we would have bought him out at that point?

With 6 years left on that contract, I think it was a certainty he'd be bought out regardless. 6 more years of $6.6M per with a guy on his last legs? Ouch.

Anyways. I am anxious for the season to start and another move to be made.

I hear you on that one.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Thank God August is almost over. Too many needless prognosticators around here.

Agreed. I'm lost on much of it, as I have not seen enough play from some of these players that everyone desires so much. Yet there are hundreds and hundreds of posts from people saying they would give Zuuc up for this and Nash up for that, etc... But like you implied, August is a slow time and people are just keeping each other company 'til camp rolls around. Gotta talk about something.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I stand corrected as to update on term, thank you, but does not change basic point, he can be a value piece to Stars, even the more so, and we are covered with a netminder for the draft with Helberg

I wouldn't mind adding Halverson instead of the 2nd round pick in my proposal.

Zuccarello + Klein + Halverson

for

Hemsky + Honka + rights to Nichushkin

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The other ting, and for the love of god, please take my advice: Stop with the complete overhaul of trades. Prospect 1 plus prospect 2 plus prospect 3 plus 4th liner + backup goalie for a package that only works for us.

It doesn't work that way. You have to give if you want to get a good return.

Again, consider this to have been intended as constructive criticism, not mean spirited, and your advise taken as such. However, it does need to pass the acid test as to merit on its own.

Case in point. People are talking McDonagh - Trouba.
I was able to negotiate with Makkis something a little better.
McD + Rangers 2017 3rd and 2018 4th
for
Trouba + Jets 2017 2nd and 2018 3rd

why should Gorton walk away from the extra assets if indeed that is what the market will bear and someone will pay? Especially since we should be looking for stuff like this to catch up from past mistakes?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I still like Nash in Nashville. Doesn't have to be the top dog and play against top defense pair.

for sure, and not budget driven either. We probably would have to retain $1-2M instead of nearly $4M.

I don't think Nash gets traded until the season starts, but before thanskgiving, when teams have evaluated where they are at in terms of scoring and performance.

Girardi is traded or bought out before the draft

Staal is traded either mid season or after the expansion draft. Possible he goes at the deadline, but who knows.

Klein should be moved after training camp when they have an idea of what Clendenning and Paliotta look like.

Zucc is gone at the deadline if they get a good offer for him

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Again, consider this to have been intended as constructive criticism, not mean spirited, and your advise taken as such. However, it does need to pass the acid test as to merit on its own.

Case in point. People are talking McDonagh - Trouba.
I was able to negotiate with Makkis something a little better.
McD + Rangers 2017 3rd and 2018 4th
for
Trouba + Jets 2017 2nd and 2018 3rd

why should Gorton walk away from the extra assets if indeed that is what the market will bear and someone will pay? Especially since we should be looking for stuff like this to catch up from past mistakes?

My question to you here would be who replaces McDonagh here. You are filling one hole but creating a bigger one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah not that much. You'd get Silfverberg and Theodore/Manson for Nash, and then the 1st for salary retention. Maybe another 2nd rounder thrown in, but that's about it

Are you sure about that? I doubt the Rangers get a return like that.

hagsfan924

Sep 1, 2011
Would a deal involving Girardi and Kane make any sense for Buffalo?
We would have to give up more, but what about something like this...

Girardi (retain 1 mil), Fast, Jensen/Hrvik for Kane and Franson

Rangers could give Kane a chance or buy him out-I just took a look at his buyout numbers and they are great. Buyout cap hit maxes out at $1million. So that plus Girardi's $1million retained would be $2mil of dead money compared to a max of over $3.5 mil dead money if we bought out Girardi next summer. Rangers would be rolling the dice on Franson coming back from an injury but he's only signed thru this season, so we could see what we have with him. We could then revisit Shattenkirk next summer.

Buffalo would get rid of the mess of Kane in Buffalo. They would get a veteran D in Girardi-they don't have as much $ tied up on D. They would also get a solid young forward in Fast and depth in Jensen/Hrivik.

I think it works both sides if Buffalo is willing to take on Girardi's contract.

Edit: Girardi is only owed $3 million more than Kane over the life of the deal. So they would only be taking on a longer cap hit in this deal.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I wouldn't mind adding Halverson instead of the 2nd round pick in my proposal.

Zuccarello + Klein + Honka

for

Hemsky + Honka + rights to Nichushkin

we get a lot more flipping Klein in a separate deal to Oilers

----------

As to Stars.
Gurianov is better option than Nik and Guri is ELC expansion draft exempt.

I look forward to how you would fine tune my variation, but IMO the core is
Zuc + the goaltending (Raanta + Halverson)
for
Gurianov + Honka

Hemsky is an expiring for cap
if we can throw in lesser picks or assets for Nik, fine
and then we can even make it conditional so we pay a reasonable minimum and then IF Nik works out, we cough up some extra compensation for an unproven commodity returning from hip surgery which then emerges as known value vs unknown

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
we get a lot more flipping Klein in a separate deal to Oilers

----------

As to Stars.
Gurianov is better option than Nik and Guri is ELC expansion draft exempt.

I look forward to how you would fine tune my variation, but IMO the core is
Zuc + the goaltending (Raanta + Halverson)
for
Gurianov + Honka

Hemsky is an expiring for cap
if we can throw in lesser picks or assets for Nik, fine
and then we can even make it conditional so we pay a reasonable minimum and then IF Nik works out, we cough up some extra compensation for an unproven commodity returning from hip surgery which then emerges as known value vs unknown

Don't think Dallas bites on this at all. I agree that I want no part of Nichshuskin but Dallas is giving up A LOT there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
My question to you here would be who replaces McDonagh here. You are filling one hole but creating a bigger one.

Fair ?.
Short, direct answer is

Skjei
Holden
Graves

I believe we can add suitable LD as needed.

I have a multiple scenario deal which moves Staal, but he would be in there until then. Revised version of the last big scenario.

I'll have for you Sat-ish
thanks, am swamped

bye

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Girardi and Staal seem to have everyone thinking ALL players decline like they did and ALL contracts turn out as albatrosses.

Shattenkirk for 7x7 is debatable, but he's very likely to perform better to his deal than either of those did. I'd give him Yandle's deal, no doubt. RHD, great on PP, legitimate 1st pairing guy, puck mover. He's really a perfect fit.

Girardi and Staal and Richards and Drury and Gomez and Redden and Etc.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fair ?.
Short, direct answer is

Skjei
Holden
Graves

I believe we can add suitable LD as needed.

I have a multiple scenario deal which moves Staal, but he would be in there until then. Revised version of the last big scenario.

I'll have for you Sat-ish
thanks, am swamped

bye

That's an ugly D bern

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
How crazy if HF going to get when Gorton trades Nash at full value with no money retained?

I truly hope that's the case but its possible that may be hard to envision for this reason. If Nash has a rebound year (and many think he will) the Rangers probably are in a playoff spot and I find it hard to believe the Rangers would flip Nash to another contender for picks at that point. I hope Gorton sticks with the plan and would trade him when his value is high but would he be a seller on Nash if lets say Nash is having a 30 plus goal season and the team is top 4-5 in the standings in the east?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad