Offseason Thread vol. XII - "Stop filling thread with spam posts" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It's more difficult to protect the puck on your off wing and get off passes, generally players use their speed to off set that and get some separation AND/OR have a rocket of a wrist shot to fall back onto if there's no other play. Can you name me another successful player who compares to Stone or Chiasson who currently play on their off wing?

Ryan has played on his off wing and he's similar to Stone IMO. Better hands and shot obviously, but similar.

Kovalev often played on his off wing and he wasn't the fastest guy.

I think it really depends on the player. Personal example, but I find it's easier to protect the puck on my off wing and I'm a RH shot too, and I prefer playing on the off wing and find it easier. I don't think speed is a factor though. Pass reception is harder I'll give you that but professionals shouldn't have a problem.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ryan has played on his off wing and he's similar to Stone IMO. Better hands and shot obviously, but similar.

Kovalev often played on his off wing and he wasn't the fastest guy.

I think it really depends on the player. Personal example, but I find it's easier to protect the puck on my off wing and I'm a RH shot too, and I prefer playing on the off wing and find it easier. I don't think speed is a factor though. Pass reception is harder I'll give you that but professionals shouldn't have a problem.

Kovalev had some great wheels back in the day but more importantly he was one of the best players at protecting the puck in the history of hockey, much like Jagr.

Ryan is pretty good at protecting the puck himself, he's got a huge stick as well that makes that off wing style a little easier. He's just better at everything and has the experience over Stone. I'd much rather let Stone adapt to the NHL at his natural position. Plus, if you have Ryan on Zibanejad and Alfie's wing, they're both righties who would more naturally dish the puck to him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kovalev had some great wheels back in the day but more importantly he was one of the best players at protecting the puck in the history of hockey, much like Jagr.

Ryan is pretty good at protecting the puck himself, he's got a huge stick as well that makes that off wing style a little easier. He's just better at everything and has the experience over Stone. I'd much rather let Stone adapt to the NHL at his natural position. Plus, if you have Ryan on Zibanejad and Alfie's wing, they're both righties who would more naturally dish the puck to him.

I think Pouliot played his off wing. Maybe Versteeg to (I don't really recall). Does Bertuzzi still play RW?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I think we agree because I'd rather have Ryan on LW than Stone/Chiasson too. I just didn't agree that you need more wheels to play there.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think we agree because I'd rather have Ryan on LW than Stone/Chiasson too. I just didn't agree that you need more wheels to play there.

I don't mean it so much that you need it as a requisite, just that given Stone and Chiasson's skill set, they'd probably need to be a little quicker to pull it off.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
It's more difficult to protect the puck on your off wing and get off passes, generally players use their speed to off set that and get some separation AND/OR have a rocket of a wrist shot to fall back onto if there's no other play. Can you name me another successful player who compares to Stone or Chiasson who currently play on their off wing?

Johan franzen immediately comes to mind. I don't think it has so much to do with wheels as it does with the ability to make plays on your backhand. I could see stone having the skill and smarts to be able to transition to his off wing but who knows

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
bringing alfie makes no sense other than to let him retire a sen

he is broken down and would be a waste of money that he will probably demand ..lets not forget he will be taking a roster spot from a young guy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
bringing alfie makes no sense other than to let him retire a sen

he is broken down and would be a waste of money that he will probably demand ..lets not forget he will be taking a roster spot from a young guy

He led the Detroit Red Wings in scoring last year and would be at least our 3rd best forward.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
He led the Detroit Red Wings in scoring last year and would be at least our 3rd best forward.

To add to this, Alfredsson was on pace for 59 points last season which would have made him our third highest scorer and second highest scoring forward (although highest now with Spezza gone).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

he put up 49 pts but was out for important games which led the youth to lead in Detroit.

Is there really a point in bringing him back other then to let him retire here? I would be shocked if he can even play a 82 game season

I have more faith in legwand putting up pts and being healthy then Alfie

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Is there really a point in bringing him back other then to let him retire here?

Yeah, to win games. I'd like to do some of that this season.

Just because he's not a legit, surefire 1st liner who can go 22mins/ night anymore, doesn't mean he can't significantly contribute.

I mean, who do you want on the ice in the 3rd period: Alfie or Greening? C'mon man, even if you're still sour over what happened last year, there's no denying he's a legit upgrade on some of the wingers we're sending over the boards.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, to win games. I'd like to do some of that this season.

Just because he's not a legit, surefire 1st liner who can go 22mins/ night anymore, doesn't mean he can't significantly contribute.

I mean, who do you want on the ice in the 3rd period: Alfie or Greening? C'mon man, even if you're still sour over what happened last year, there's no denying he's a legit upgrade on some of the wingers we're sending over the boards.

The question would really come down to what would we have to sacrifice to get Alfie in the lineup. If it's Greening, or some other 3rd/4th line winger, great. But the reality is we will have to make room in the budget to fit him in. I just don't know how we do that.

He doesn't bring any long term value (on the ice) so sacrificing anyone who does provide long term value isn't a great option imo. It's not like if Alfie signs with us, Murray will take the 94 down to Greenbank and Iris and say, hey Chris, thanks for all the years you put in, but your services will no longer be needed.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
But the reality is we will have to make room in the budget to fit him in. I just don't know how we do that.

Yeah, this is the stumbling block to adding anyone else to the roster, regardless of whether they wear #11 or not. I would hope that Melnyk would understand that the (however unlikely) opportunity to being Aifie back would have a value beyond what is brought to the ice - repairing some of the damaged goodwill between ownership & fans - that the internal budget could be floated enough to cover his cap hit. I would hope for this, but I'm not confident of it.

He doesn't bring any long term value (on the ice) so sacrificing anyone who does provide long term value isn't a great option imo. It's not like if Alfie signs with us, Murray will take the 94 down to Greenbank and Iris and say, hey Chris, thanks for all the years you put in, but your services will no longer be needed.

1 : MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
2a : Michalek - Legwand - Alfredsson
2b : Stone/Chiasson - Zibanejad - Chiasson/Stone
4 : Condra - Smith - Hoffman/Neil

Looks good to me.

The Fuhr*

Was curious how people rank this group of forwards vs the Division

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Stone
Hoffman - Legwand - Chiasson
Greening - Smith - Neil

VS

Boston
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Fraser
Paille-Campbell-Florek

Buffalo
Moulson - Ennis - Stafford
Hodgson - Girgensons - Stewart
Foligno - Reinhart - Gionta
McCormick - Larsson - Mitchell

Detroit
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Cleary
Miller-Helm-Glendenin

Florida
jokinen - barkov - boyes
huberdeau - bjugstad - bergenheim
fleischmann - bolland - pirri
upshall - mackenzie - hayes

Montreal
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Parenteau
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Sekac
Wiese-Malhotra-Prust

Tampa Bay
Killorn-Stamkos-Johnson
Palat-Flippula-Callahan
Kucherov-Drouin-Connolly
Brown-Boyle-Morrow

Toronto
Van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Santorelli
Komarov - Kontiola - Clarkson
Bodie - Holland - Ashton

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Chiasson
Hoffman-Legwand-Stone
Greening-Smith-Neil

Apparently that's how the organization currently sees it.

I really like those lines.

If Zibby breaks out, things could get really interesting. He's still only 21 though. So young.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Worse:
Buffalo
Florida

Even:
Detroit
Toronto

Better:
Boston
Montreal
Tampa

Buffalo is going to win more games than their fans will like if their fans want McDavid. They have an alright group of forwards. It's their D and goaltending that will be the problem. I'd actually put Toronto and Tampa in the worst category.

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton

Greening - Smith - Neil

VS

Boston
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Fraser
Paille-Campbell-Florek

Buffalo

Detroit
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Cleary
Miller-Helm-Glendenin

Florida
jokinen - barkov - boyes

Montreal
Bourque-Eller-Sekac
Wiese-Malhotra-Prust

Tampa Bay
Killorn-Stamkos-Johnson
Palat-Flippula-Callahan
Kucherov-Drouin-Connolly
Brown-Boyle-Morrow

Toronto
Bodie - Holland - Ashton

We are better than: Buffalo Florida
Slightly better than: Toronto Detroit
Slightly worse than : Montreal
Worse than: Boston TB

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Greening - Smith - Neil

>
Toronto

=
Buffalo
Detroit
Florida
Montreal
Tampa

<
Boston

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Greening - Smith - Neil

VS

Boston
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Fraser
Paille-Campbell-Florek

Buffalo

Detroit
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Cleary
Miller-Helm-Glendenin

Florida
jokinen - barkov - boyes

Montreal
Bourque-Eller-Sekac
Wiese-Malhotra-Prust

Tampa Bay
Killorn-Stamkos-Johnson
Palat-Flippula-Callahan
Kucherov-Drouin-Connolly
Brown-Boyle-Morrow

Toronto
Bodie - Holland - Ashton

We're easily winning the cup.

The Fuhr*

We are better than: Buffalo Florida
Slightly better than: Toronto Detroit
Slightly worse than : Montreal
Worse than: Boston TB

I've been thinking about it since the post and I agree with this... But I'd add Toronto with Montreal... I like Torontos forwards

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Boston
Tampa

everyone else

Atlantic is wide open.

on the topic of us vs the Atlantic,

I like how our goaltending stacks up against the division. There are some great goalies but most of the teams will fall apart if the starter goes down and they're gonna have to ride those guys pretty hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad