Offseason Thread vol. XI - Friend of a Friend Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Kane over his last 3 seasons has paced 50-60 points and only actually has one 20+ goal season. And he comes with a ton of controversy.

All that + high price = pass.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Turris didn't cost two top prospects, a first and another piece. He cost a top prospect and a second.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't give up 2 of Ceci/Zib/Lazar/2015 1st for Kane.

I was merely responding to the poster that said the only teams that should be trading for Kane are those on the cusp of the playoffs. That's wrong. Kane fits perfectly with rebuilding, retooling, playoff hopefuls, and contending teams.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Like I said earlier, I wouldn't give up 2 of Ceci/Zib/Lazar/2015 1st for Kane.

I was merely responding to the poster that said the only teams that should be trading for Kane are those on the cusp of the playoffs. That's wrong. Kane fits perfectly with rebuilding, retooling, playoff hopefuls, and contending teams.
Ah, thought you were responding to the first line of the post you quoted. My mistake.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Berglund available? Kane and Sharp too?

I'll take one of each please.

In a less comical note, Berglund is reasonably priced and I would consider him a target. Apparently, a Garrison for Berglund swap existed, but it collapsed due to a NTC. Considering that Garrison only required a second round pick, and ST. Louis is looking for "futures", that bodes well for Ottawa.

26 years old, LOTS of experience. 20 goal scorer. Swede. Two way player. 6'4, 200+. Plays centre and left wing? Long term solution in my eyes.

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton
Berglund available? Kane and Sharp too?

I'll take one of each please.

In a less comical note, Berglund is reasonably priced and I would consider him a target. Apparently, a Garrison for Berglund swap existed, but it collapsed due to a NTC. Considering that Garrison only required a second round pick, and ST. Louis is looking for "futures", that bodes well for Ottawa.

26 years old, LOTS of experience. 20 goal scorer. Swede. Two way player. 6'4, 200+. Plays centre and left wing? Long term solution in my eyes.

The only way it would be a longterm solution is if he played LW full time

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The only way it would be a longterm solution is if he played LW full time

Lots of room for LW's on this team. Hoffman isn't pushing anyone. Puempel could be 1-2 years away(if ever). Prince wants out. MacArthur isn't signed after this year.

It's also nice to have the ability to take a draw and fill in for injury as well.

Lazar seems to be set on wing though, and Zibanejad could still eventually be moved too, depending on his development. He could stagnate. Legwand is a stopgap. C is an option down the line too. Lots of options.

I don't want to jinx it, but I was talking to a co-worker about Legwand being a good solution for the Sens before the signing. Definitely crossing my fingers on this one.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Berglund - Legwand - Lazar
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chaisson
Greening - Smith - Neil
Ex: Condra

That is a DAMN sexy lineup. The C and LW are deep, skilled, and experienced. RW has some AMAZING talent. The whole thing is just a great mix of hockey players. I can see 9 guys on that scoring 20 goals. with that roster and another 25 from the 4th line. What a dynamic group.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
What? Kane is a 22 year old. Its the same kind of trade as the Turris deal. Gets us an impact player who will grow with the team.

It's not like we're dealing for a 34 yearl old. Kane is 2 years older than Ceci.

You honestly think adding Kane will make this team a legit elite playoff team every year?

I don't.

I also think you have a major star in Lazar AND Ceci. Having a one-two punch on defense of Karlsson and Karlsson-lite, aka Ceci, will be very formidable in a few years. Giving that up now for a player that makes you marginally better isn't the right move imo.

Lazar, Turris, and Z-bad as your centers is a bright future. We just lost a 1C. If either one of Zibby or Lazar becomes a solid 1C with Turris as a 2C, in 2-3 years this team could be at a point were making a trade for a Kane type player is reasonable.

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton
Lots of room for LW's on this team. Hoffman isn't pushing anyone. Puempel could be 1-2 years away(if ever). Prince wants out. MacArthur isn't signed after this year.

It's also nice to have the ability to take a draw and fill in for injury as well.

Lazar seems to be set on wing though, and Zibanejad could still eventually be moved too, depending on his development. He could stagnate. Legwand is a stopgap. C is an option down the line too. Lots of options.

I don't want to jinx it, but I was talking to a co-worker about Legwand being a good solution for the Sens before the signing. Definitely crossing my fingers on this one.

Greening - Smith - Neil

That is a DAMN sexy lineup. The C and LW are deep, skilled, and experienced. RW has some AMAZING talent. The whole thing is just a great mix of hockey players. I can see 9 guys on that scoring 20 goals. with that roster and another 25 from the 4th line. What a dynamic group.

Itd be pretty sweet, especially if we coul push stone into that roster

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't think Kane costs as much as ya'll think.

Stone/Chiasson+2nd(conditional 1st if we make 2nd round) + Puempel/Prince+Wiercioch

Should get it done.

Ryan returned Silfverberg+1st+Noesen that's very similar to stone+2nd+Puempel and don't forget we even caved in.

Kane isn't gonna return Lazar+2015 first.

Kane-Zibanejad-Ryan could be one of the deadliest lines in the league(near future)
MacArthur-Turris-Lazar to follow
Hoffman-Legwand-Chaisson

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
The issue i have with Kane is that he seems hard to coach, doesn't like being told how to play the game. I'm not sure kane and McLean would have a good relationship.

Turris wanted more ice time and a chance to play top 6 minutes, Kane already does, so what are his issues? If its the media, pressure etc, he better head to a southern us market.

I also really disliked his favoring a tweet about him being traded to philly. Really disrespectful towards the Jets organization.

Overall do not want for market price.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree that Kane's potential drama could negate the potential positives. If Murray doesn't believe they are overblown I wouldn't trade for him either.

I don't think we need a Berglund. I think we need a Kane. Getting a Berglund would be useless, imo. It'll still keep us at mediocrity.

We need a Pavelski/Huberdeau/Eberle/Kane/Sharp.

I think Sharp is most realistic and I think he still plays well into his mid 30's.

He is a scorer, has terrific speed, very good Pker, terrific shoot-out player and excellent powerplay guy. He also has tremendous character and fits what Murray is trying to establish.

Wouldn't cost as much as Kane and since Hawks are trying to get under the cap, could be cheaper than usual.

Sharp-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Legwand-Chaisson
Greening-Lazar-Condra/Neil

Last edited:

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012

Greening - Smith - Neil

Love everything about this. Great points about C depth/availability down the line. I do agree that Stone needs to fit in there though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I agree that Kane's potential drama could negate the potential positives. If Murray doesn't believe they are overblown I wouldn't trade for him either.

I don't think we need a Berglund. I think we need a Kane. Getting a Berglund would be useless, imo. It'll still keep us at mediocrity.

We need a Pavelski/Huberdeau/Eberle/Kane/Sharp.

I think Sharp is most realistic and I think he still plays well into his mid 30's.

He is a scorer, has terrific speed, very good Pker, terrific shoot-out player and excellent powerplay guy. He also has tremendous character and fits what Murray is trying to establish.

Wouldn't cost as much as Kane and since Hawks are trying to get under the cap, could be cheaper than usual.

Sharp-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Legwand-Chaisson
Greening-Lazar-Condra/Neil

The onyl player that wouldn't cost the farm is Sharp: he's still a solid player and should be for a while but why would he waive to come here? Never mind the fact that he probably doesn't fit in the budget

The Fuhr*

After the 2014/15 NCAA season the Sens should sign goaltender Adam Wilcox

Due to the goaltending depth in Tampa Bay he is considering becoming a ufa after college and not signing a deal there.

Is considered one of the top goaltending prospects in the world.

Be a wicked addition... Back up Lehner and then as he eases into the nhl, will be able to push Lehner for starts.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
Why do people want Berglund? We have enough 3rd liners. We need 1st line talent. No point trading for players that will make our team marginally better, so that we just miss the playoffs again or get bumped in the first round, and end up drafting a player that is AT BEST a 2nd liner.

Either trade for Kane and get a first line winger, or roll with the team we have, end up bottom 5 and draft a star forward. You can trade for all the Berglund's, Stewart's, and Hodgson's of the world...but if you don't have legitimate 1st line forwards (including a 1A C), you won't be a cup contender. And that's the goal right? Not to just make the playoffs, but to contend for years on years like CHI/LA?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Why do people want Berglund? We have enough 3rd liners. We need 1st line talent. No point trading for players that will make our team marginally better, so that we just miss the playoffs again or get bumped in the first round, and end up drafting a player that is AT BEST a 2nd liner.

Either trade for Kane and get a first line winger, or roll with the team we have, end up bottom 5 and draft a star forward. You can trade for all the Berglund's, Stewart's, and Hodgson's of the world...but if you don't have legitimate 1st line forwards (including a 1A C), you won't be a cup contender. And that's the goal right? Not to just make the playoffs, but to contend for years on years like CHI/LA?

Well, one could argue that the goal of the current owner is to maximize profits, and it seems that his opinion on how to do that is have a bottom 5 budget but still make the playoffs.

Melnyk doesn't talk about the Cup anymore. He talks about Cost Per Point.

There's no way he approves a trade for Evander Kane. That's just too expensive right now.

It's much more likely that he approves the team tanking to get a better chance at McDavid, because if that happens, the flood of dollars towards this team would be insane.

I've got a feeling that he intentionally slashed the bugets, especially for this season, with exactly that in mind. I think in his mind, this team either tanks and gets a good draft pick, or comes together and squeaks into the playoffs.

Cup is nowhere to be seen in this current business plan for the Sens.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
@jean_nafulu: According to Vancouver Radio Station, Jets' Evander #Kane want to play with #Sens.

If true.... Cant be true. No one wants to play here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad