Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lou’s only other route is trade. The big fish (rarities) don’t sign here (yet...); it’s his only other option. A savvy GM will make good trades.

Agreed, I wouldn’t give up Dobson or Ilya, which I would imagine most teams would ask for. Simply put, we don’t have enough ‘blue chippers’ to trade that would attract the talent needed in a trade.

It's been mentioned, but the league is chock full of yet undetermined RFA situations on a handful of very good young players.

If Lou is going to bite per trade so as to enter camp with something different than what he's got now, one would have to think that he - along with several other GMs - has been waiting for the fallout from those RFA signings. And it could be some potentially huge fallout.

I agree though that a trade is pretty much the only real route to go. Why is that?

Lou has 16 forwards who are currently waiver-eligible. He's got 7 bonafide NHL Dmen. He's got to deal with contracts for Barzal, Pulock, and Toews next summer. Here's hoping all three spend this season showing management, that they need to be given very healthy contracts next summer. He's getting to the point where a decision has to be made on several prospects in the system, namely JHS, MDC, Aho, Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon, Burroughs, and Soderstrom.

In addition, the team currently has 46 players on NHL contracts - out of 50 possible contracts that can be handed out. And guess what - that's not counting Beauvillier, MDC, and JHS, all expected to be re-upped shortly. Next summer, no less than Sorokin, Salo, Bibeau, and Coskey enter into the contract equation.

If Lou plans on adding someone to upgrade this team, we better hope like crazy that some team is forced to give up someone good for several cheaper guys from our prospect bin, because we need to move bodies to get those upgrades.

Our prospect *depth is very good, that said, most teams are looking for high-end prospects for significant scorers in return; we don’t have enough of them. Trade Dobson, Ilya, even Whalstrom, and the cupboard takes a hard hit. So I understand this may be a challenge in making deals.

I think Dobson is really an absolute no-go. I can't really see anyone out there who'd I want to move this kid for. Not even if Philly came offering Provorov 1-for-1 or Toronto even offered Marner for (namely because he'd also be coming with an incredible price tag to boot).

I believe Wahlstrom is doable if moving him in a package brings you back Marner, Laine or Boeser. But that's about it.

Teams aren't going to make a move for Sorokin. Too much uncertainty and those in the know realize full well that Varlamov being brought was the first step in bringing in Sorokin.

As for Varly. I’m hoping Korn/Greco can help him gain consistency.

I am 100% certain that, when he plays, Varlamov will be absolutely fine. I do not know how injury-resistent he is, but he hasn't played behind a team defense like this with the tutelage of guys like Korn and Greco - and I am totally fine finding out what that means for him. In Greiss, we have a back-up who can easily play 40 games without missing a beat and ALWAYS puts the team first.

Not worried about goaltending in the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
You also don't have to look far to find examples of power forwards that took longer to develop. You can even find some in our organization. Todd Bertuzzi rings a bell. It really doesn't matter what any of us think anyway. If 60% of isles fans on HF had their way JHS would be on every PP, getting first line minutes.

I see MDC trending way up. It doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks. When it does happen, I don't really care to say "I told you so" either. Doesn't matter to me. It's just an observation based upon what my eyes saw watching him play the last two season. Most improved player from one season to another by anyone in the organization.

Oh, I don't believe this for a second.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Not buying the, 'they won't surprise anyone this year, and will be hard pressed to repeat last year's success', storyline. They had 50 points in the 1st 41 games, and 53 points in the last 41, and this is the best league in the world. Their scouting of opposing teams, is very thorough. This narrative is more likely a result of past expectations from this franchise. I wasn't a fly on the wall or anything last year, but I'm gonna say that the reason that we had surprisingly good success, is that the players bought into BT's game plan, heart and soul.

Filppula scored 17 goals, and had 31 pts. as a 3rd liner, which is good, but it's hardly irreplaceable. There's still chance that we replace him with a player that is equally good, maybe even better. Goalie swap is a wash, IMO, and I actually think that Varly is the more talented goalie, but we'll see.

New PP coach and improved years from Eberle, Barzal, Beau and Pulock should get us in the same range as last year.

Losing Boychuk in the PO's hurt us more than what I originally thought. We need some serious grit on the backend, IMO. Replacing him when he's injured, with Hickey, is not acceptable. I am hoping that Hutton can be a stronger defensive defenseman than Hickey is, when we get the inevitable Boychuk boo-boo.

Need a grittier LHD as well. Leddy, Toews, Pelech, Hickey and Aho are not going to suddenly earn accolades as crease clearers, and Krygier and Bolduc is at least 3 years away. I see no problem starting the year with the D that is already in place, but I feel the LL will ramp up for the PO's by acquiring a gritty LHD with experience, for the 3rd pairing. Hopefully Hickey finds a new home, to make the opening happen.

Yes, I want a bonafide top 6 player to play with Barzy and Eberle, but we have a few options that MAY work, in Koivula, Bellows, MDC, Beau, and even Nelson (if LL can acquire a top 6 C. Leave Lee where he is, which is a pretty good combo, IMO).

Finally starting to see the homegrown players come in, and get that prospect-treadmill performing a bit more efficiently. Competition AND recognition/promotion are both key in developing the youngsters. Feeling good about Soderstrom, Skarek, Toews, Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield, Aho, Barzal, Beau, MDC, and a bunch of guys on the Sound Tigers. Hopefully seeing Sorokin come in soon? That would be a huge boost to moral, IMO.

I am happy with the way that our mgmt. has been so far. I give them a B, with room to grow (or shrink), obviously. Created a good/hopeful atmosphere, and cautiously/frugally looking to improve. This year is going to be a tricky one, what with the expansion draft and with LL having to fork out big $ for Barzal, Pulock and Toews.

Last edited:
Reactions: YoureMyBoyLou

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Reactions: crasherino

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
from what I recall Josh Bailey was a fine center in junior. Not sure why it's given he must play wing?

What do I know? I'm half a goombah living in NE Florida.

Do we need ANOTHER pronoun for half a goombah?

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Haven't been on here much since the first week or so of the offseason> What's the feeling on your guys' confidence we are still trying/going to make a move to improve the forward position? Have to assume D and G are set, with a lot of competition up front to fill in for 3C and a W or 2.

I am starting to feel much less confident something gets done. Then again, more and more RFA's continue to go unsigned, so maybe an opportunity for a sign and trade (as opposed to offer sheet) is still there.

As many of you probably feel, I would be very discouraged if we roll out the same forward group as last year, minus Filppula and plus 1-3 guys from the system (whether Fritz or a prospect) next year. Even if you produce equally offensively, or improve slightly with a less inept PP, the goaltending and defense isn't going to break records again even if it is still top 5-10 in the NHL.

Have there been any rumblings? What is the overall feel?

Reactions: Thrasymachus

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Haven't been on here much since the first week or so of the offseason> What's the feeling on your guys' confidence we are still trying/going to make a move to improve the forward position? Have to assume D and G are set, with a lot of competition up front to fill in for 3C and a W or 2.

I am starting to feel much less confident something gets done. Then again, more and more RFA's continue to go unsigned, so maybe an opportunity for a sign and trade (as opposed to offer sheet) is still there.

As many of you probably feel, I would be very discouraged if we roll out the same forward group as last year, minus Filppula and plus 1-3 guys from the system (whether Fritz or a prospect) next year. Even if you produce equally offensively, or improve slightly with a less inept PP, the goaltending and defense isn't going to break records again even if it is still top 5-10 in the NHL.

I can only speak for myself, but my guess is that Lou is thinking long term. So IMO he won't expend assets on a merely "good" top 6 forward. I think he'll either go after a big fish or he'll take a chance going into camp looking at the kids and/or a veteran camp invitee.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
They are actually split on teams and have MM foundation sweaters. May have to tape a 16 "Marner" on his back

He actually uses a TRUE/Marner stick. I figured that is his "in" to strike up a conversation/negotiations.
Right - XC9 ACF Mitch Marner 80 Flex Pro Stock Hockey Stick
Well done. He's learning an important lesson early on. You just need that "in" to start the conversation. After that, see where it goes. Whether its in business, or with a girl, just gotta get the ball rolling. Next thing we know, young Costigan will be repping Marner in his renegotiation with the Islanders 6 years from now.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Laine and Marner hit the trade market and are fielding offers for their superstar RW’s, then what package from Isles do you think gets it done?

NOT what you would give up, but what you honestly think could get it done.

Forget about Offer-sheet and I do want to note both teams now have room to sign their players.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Laine and Marner hit the trade market and are fielding offers for their superstar RW’s, then what package from Isles do you think gets it done?

Forget about Offer-sheet and I do want to note both teams now have room to sign their players.

For example, Mark Stone for Brannstrom, Lindberg (ufa), and a 2nd rd. Pick as a model-

Would Dobson have to be involved in any trade for these wingers?

Would Wilde be enough to consider for a team like Winnipeg or Toronto? If Wilde is included does that mean Mayfield also needs to be included?

Would it be Wahlstrom has a headliner to any deal?

Does Winnipeg go for a Wahlstrom, Leddy, and #1 package? Maybe the Isles take Kulikov and his cap hit and Isles add Dal Colle to further entice a move?

crasherino

May 9, 2013

We are not really equipped - from a roster management perspective - to take on another full value long term veteran. Being that we re-signed all of our pending UFA forwards (minus Filppula), we simply have too many veteran forwards who are getting paid significant money signed for 3-4 years or longer. So I don't think we are in line to make a deal for a guy who will be an UFA next with the intent on re-signing him (ala Mike Hoffman). That would create too big a log jam upfront with no room at all for any young guys to ascend to the lineup in the next 3 years.

If anything, we could trade for one of the RFAs with one or more of our younger guys going back the other way.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017

Then you may be disappointed, seems the consensus around here is that LL will be very patient , give some of the Bridgeport crowd a little more time to develop .And when other teams start losing D-men to injury put together a package of NHL players and prospects to bring back a player of need.

Reactions: dood

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
A lot of the ability to trade leddy depends a lot on how well Dobson / Aho perform in camp.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

We line up better with Toronto. Everyone other than Dobson has to be available prospect wise. I still think Marner stays in TOR.

Laine to me is more likely to leave WPG but both pretty unlikely to me.

I’d rather just try and offersheet and if not just role with what we have. I like our prospects.

If Lou could swindle the leafs or jets that’s a different story but the asking price for both is going to be really high.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Dal Colle 1way. Interesting. Both of them are waiver eligible. I’d hate to lose one or both to waivers. Let’s cross our fingers and hope they can stick.

I’m a huge Ho-Sang fan and believe in his skills but I get the feeling he gets sent Down/waived at some point. Noway he clears.

Dal Colle played really good defensively in Trotz system and didn’t look over matched. The offense wasn’t there but he tore up the AHL so he still has his offensive game. I think he’s Ladds replacement which I’m fine with.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Marner is going to demand a legit top 2 defender, a top 6 forward and probably a decent prospect with a middling one. Isles aren't even in the conversation in a trade for Marner because we have no legitimate top 2 defender to trade to them.

Laine, on the other hand, might be available for a little less. I don't know 100% what Winnipeg's needs are, but I imagine they would want a cost controlled forward back of equal talent. We don't have that either because it's basically just Barzal and a drop off a cliff after that. I don't see us landing either. If Winnipeg and Toronto were not in win now mode I could see us having the prospects to get one done, but as it stands now, Leddy isn't even going to get us past security in trade negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad